Light & Motion Stella 200L Lights

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Light & Motion Stella 200 L (Li-ion): The Light and Motion Stella 200-L Bike Light is a great light for all around use including commuting. Regardless of where or how it is used, the Stella 200 packs a potent combination of power, runtime, versatility

Submitted by bonifp a Cross Country Rider from East Palo Alto, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2010

Strengths:    Lots of light, long burn times, quick charge times

Weaknesses:    Cord is very short, need to mount 1/2 lb battery on helmet, a little heavy for that.

Bottom Line:
Great for handle bar, not so much for helmet mount.
The light itself is very light and powerfull, with long burn and quick charging times. I already have a NR HED light for my handle bars, so I bought this light for my helmet. The lights came with a helmet mount, but the cord on the light is only ~1 foot long, so you have to mount the 1/2 lb battery on your helmet, which is a strain on my neck after a while. I contacted L&M to see if there was an extension cord available, so I can put the battery in my jersey or hydration pack. No dice.

Bottom line is the light works great for a handle bar setup, but not optimal for a helmet mount. I think they missed the boat on this part.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Purchased At:   through bike club

Similar Products Used:   Nightrider HED

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX9

Submitted by MTB Moe a Cross Country Rider from Cincinnati Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2009

Strengths:    Lots of light where you need it when you need it. Super light on weight and easy to mount to your bar or helmet.

Weaknesses:    None at all, this is a great product

Bottom Line:
I have never been more satisfy with a lighting product. I ride a lot of night rides and the Stella 200L has come thru everytime. It's very rare that you buy a product these days that actual works as advertised and many times my battery has lasted longer than the published time lengths. Bottom Line Buy it, it works, Mucho Chilis Comin!!

Favorite Trail:   VSP/Mohican

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Rush, 110mm Lefty, PG990 cog set, Race face Crank, Crank Brothers Colbalt BB, Sram 7 frt. D, Sram 9 bk. D ODI Rouge Grips

Submitted by ZipsBiker a Racer from Orange County

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Strengths:    Weight
Long burn times
Easy to recharge
Reasonably bright for the price

Weaknesses:    Full price is a little expensive
The cord can be annoying when the light is helmet mounted

Bottom Line:
This is a great light, especially for 24 hour racing. It works equally well whether you mount it to your helmet or bars. For racing you will want to use it with another light. I've used it alone when not racing and generally mount it on my helmet. By itself, I can ride pretty fast with it when I know the trail. On unfamiliar trails I need to keep the speed down a bit. The light unit doesn't weigh very much and the burn times are really long.

I used it for the 24 Hours of Moab last year mounted on my helmet in conjunction with an older 200 lumen Nightrider mounted to my bars. Of my 3 laps, that night lap was my fastest lap. Needless to say, I didn't need to hold back for lack of light.

I was fortunate enough to get a great deal on this from Beyond Bikes last year. If I had to pay full price I would rather buy a Joystick from Exposure Lights. It is nice not having a cord on your back. Performance wise, you can't really go wrong with this for a 200 lumen light.

Value would get 5 Chilis if it was closer to $200.

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Exposure joystick

Bike Setup:   All mountain- Intense Tracer VPP 6" mode
XC- Niner Air 9

Submitted by Brian Mibach a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, CA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to install. Easy to work with gloves. A ton of light for a reasonable weight.

Bottom Line:
There I was... my first mtb race. The coolist 24 Hour race.
Rain, mud, lots of spills and the Stella worked like a champ. I rode a lap at sundown and the light provided by the Stella made the transition easy on the bike and the rider.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Will the L&M Stella 200L be enough?

I have a Li ion Arc that have tried on the helmet and on the bars, either way is fine. On my last night ride I had two Arc's, That is a lot of light. Back to the question on the Stella, Will I like it as a helmet mounted light? Will it be enough or will it get lost with the Arc? Is there a iss ... Read More »

Stella 200L Lithium ion LED?

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this for ~ $240. I plan to use it helmet mounted as my only light. The weight and runtime is a big factor for me. Are there any other lights for the same money I should be considering that offer the same performance?Read More »

L&M Stella 200L

Hello, I have my L&M Stella 200L mounted on my handlebar to the left of my stem. My Trek Bike computer is mounted to the right of my stem. Yesterday, I noticed that my speed on the computer started going crazy when I turned the light on. Is this normal to have this kind of interference between ... Read More »

Light & Motion Stella versus Dinotte 200L?

Light & Motion Stella-N versus Dinotte 200L? I need to make a decision between these two lights. Will be used helmet mount and will be my only light. I have seen the stella in person, but how does the Dinotte (spot or wide) compare? I felt the Stella had a nice center with good side light just ... Read More »