Light & Motion Solo Lights

Don’t care to dim your lights and expand your burn times? Then go with the Solo. Quick release mounting means you can snap the light head off to investigate technical problems or fix a flat plus. Adjustable beam pattern allows you to dial in your light, making Solo lights a perfect match for today’s high performance road bikes and commuting.

Submitted by Joe E from Buffalo, New York

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2008

Strengths:    Nice and even beam pattern
Comes with a helmet and handlebar mount
Button on light head makes solid click when pressed
Puts out a great amount of light

Weaknesses:    Charging takes too long
Light can be easily overcharged without a smart charger

Bottom Line:
Personally, I have found the Solo to be bright enough to take just about anywhere. Although it cannot compete with the HIDs in absolute brightness, the Solo's beam is very broad and shines a long ways ahead. The only slight drawback to the system is its charger. The Solo uses a trickle charger which takes a good 8hrs of charging for a fully drained battery. It gives no indication of how much charging time is left. My suggestions are either to invest in a Light and Motion multi-chem charger (works with any Light and Motion light) or to simply buy an inexpensive plug in the wall timer. Overall, its a great light for anyone wanting to make the path ahead a whole lot brighter.

Favorite Trail:   The one I haven't yet ridden

Purchased At:   Trek Bike Store

Similar Products Used:   Cygolite, Blackburn

Bike Setup:   Mountain bike

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2007

Strengths:    Good Price, Sufficient Light for Most Night Riding, Good introductory light

Weaknesses:    Handlebar mount is useless for bumpy trails as the light will swivel out of position. Plan on only using the helmet mount (included). The 14 hour trickle charger is a bit of a pain. You know the batteries are fully charged when they are warm. Primitive but it works.

Bottom Line:
Buy this light if it's your first and you're on a budget. It will get you out on the trail, which is better than having nothing. If you find you are riding a lot, buy a second more capable light for your handlebars, and use the L & M Solo as your second light mounted on your helmet, or use it as a loaner for your friend you are dragging out to ride at night.

Favorite Trail:   Foresthill Loop, Auburn

Purchased At:   Davis Wheelworks

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider MiNewtX2

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Rigg Single Speed 29

Submitted by Alan a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap and gives you some light in the dark

Weaknesses:    Weak, not bright enough for mtb, poor mounting design (handlebar & helmet), no smart charger

Bottom Line:
This light is crap overall. If you are planning to do double track slowing, it might work out ok. In tight single track, you are better off with another light. I tried this as well with a 12W Jetlites on my handlebar and with the Solo on helmet (13W rated). the solo was totally useless. Again, this might work on road or double track but not single track mtb. For the price I got it at, there is no complain in terms of value rating. My Jetlites cost 3x as much each and the Axis is like 5x

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Purchased At:   Beyondbikes

Similar Products Used:   Jetlites Phantom, Starfire, Axis

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz SS/Ventana FS

Submitted by Alex from Monterey, California

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2006

Strengths:    Great inexpensive start up light that works well on the trail. Small lamp that can be used on a helmet or bar mount. Doesn't interfear with Heart Rate Monitors. Great customer support. Adjustable beam is a nice touch, too. Battery (size, mounting options, & burn time). Light can be easily adjusted on swivel mount (without tools) yet stays put while on the trail.

Weaknesses:    14 hour Trickle charger that comes standard with it is inconvenient when using the lights on a regular basis. The burn time on the bulb is low, I had to replace mine after about 20-25 hours of use.

Bottom Line:
I used this light as my sole light on the trail for about a year without any problems. It is easy to use, reliable, and relatively inexpensive. I added a helmet mounted light to use with this light and have no need to buy a more expensive lighting system. The standard equiped 14 hour trikle charger is the only drawback.

Favorite Trail:   Wilder Ranch

Purchased At:   Joselyn's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   NightRider Digital Head Trip.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, Redline Singlespeed, & Haro Werks 3.0 along with road bikes.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Weaknesses:    Light disappears (as any halogen does) if someone around you has an HID system.

Bottom Line:
Good light. I use this one on my helmet, where I wouldn't be able to access anything beyond turn on/turn off (I use a Solo Logic on the bars, where I can access these options). This combination works great for trail riding.

Definitely get the quick charger with it, if you buy one of these. The charger is pretty much plug it in and forget it. The one that comes with the light doesn't do this.

Similar Products Used:   Night Rider Trail Rat, various VistaLight systems, L&M Solo Logic

Submitted by Eric Hyduke a Cross Country Rider from McAdoo, PA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustable beam pattern, bright light, good burn time. Light adjustabe horizontally and vertically, and a helmet mount is included. Battery is a reasonable size and weight.

Weaknesses:    This version of the solo has a 'dumb' charger. You must calculate how long to charge it and take it off when done. Also, side lights to illuminate computer a good idea, but they shine up too high.

Bottom Line:
Good light at a reasonable price (compared to other lights), just remember to unplug it when the charge cycle it done.

Favorite Trail:   American Standard

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Performance viewpoint.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V

Anyone Know O-ring sizes for Rockshox Recon Race air solo

Hi I have been searching and googling to find the info but either cannot find specifically or not clear so any help would be appriciated. Basically my Rockshox Recon Race air solo (not sure the year But from a 2008 Giant XTC 2 bike) - the Poploc on the shocks does not seem to do anything anymore ... Read More »

RockShox XC 32 TK Coil to Solo Air Conversion

I looked at the parts diagram and it looked like a drop in replacement. I purchased the RockShox XC32 Spring Internals Left 26/29 120 Solo Air replacement part, but have encountered an issue with the install. When I install the Solo Air it doesn't fully seat so I can't engage the threads on the top ... Read More »

Bronson and Solo

Has anyone done a comparative report/review/testride comparing the Bronson and Solo? I'm looking seriously at buying one of these two and can't make up my mind, but I don't have enough experience to know what to look for and we don't have dealers near enough for me to test one. I have read wh ... Read More »

First solo night ride

So I had a buddy cancel on me at the absolute last second the other night. Normally I would have just called it quits but I was DYING to ride so I said screw it and headed out myself. Everyone has told me riding solo at night is a bad idea but I wanted no part of that! Went to FINS and had one of th ... Read More »

Reba RL solo air set up on the goblin

Hi everyone, i recently bought an airborne goblin (with the REBA solo air), very happy with the bike :D I have some concerns about my fork and the fork setup, i apologies in advance if these are very noobish questions, but i couldn't find the answers anywhere. :madman: 1)During my first ride on th ... Read More »