Light & Motion Solo Logic Li-ion Lights

The Light & Motion Solo Logic Trickle Charger has one setting: On or off. 14 hours from totally kicked to 100% charged, and since the NiMH battery is memory-free, you can start with the battery at any point of depletion. With this kind of charge time, itAAAs good to have a second charger in case you want to do two batteries at once. The smart people hook this charger up to an inexpensive wall-socket timer, the kind people use to have indoor lights go on and off automatically, to prevent too much juice trickling into the battery. This is compatible with either the Solo or Solo Logic NiMH systems.

Submitted by Mesozoic a Weekend Warrior from Tucson, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    Long lasting battery and bulb life. Waterproof housing, replaceable bulbs, multiple mounting mounts, rugged construction.

Weaknesses:    Cost possibly.

Bottom Line:
This is the best lighting product I've used in my riding career. I've even used the lamp to perform emergency mechanical repairs on my car at night. I've owned this light since 2006 or 2007 (don't remember) and tonight was the first time I've had to open the housing up to inspect the bulb. The bulb had only worked itself loose, not burned out. I've ridden in very cold weather, in snow, rain, and crashed numerous times with this lamp and it has never had any problems. I used to live in Vancouver for 8 years and rode the North Shore regularly... so these lights have definitely proven themselves.

Favorite Trail:   Crinkum Crankum

Purchased At:   Cove Bikes, North Va

Similar Products Used:   Nitehawk Phoenix Dual lamps

Bike Setup:   Several.

Submitted by Aaron Phillips a Weekend Warrior from Kalispell, Mt. Flathead Valley

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight. Easy attachment of battery to frame. Battery can be mounted almost anywhere to keep it out of the way. Bright.

Weaknesses:    Adjustable beam pattern sucks (read: useless). Bulbs are expensive and you will go through them. Lot of light wasted above the trail.

Bottom Line:
They use some small/light weight li-ion batteries and the cub unit I purchased has served me well, but I am starting to think they are overpriced. It looks like they have gone LED and a couple of the new units look like knock-offs! I am looking to purchase a second unit and move this one to the helmet. I would consider another unit from them but it looks like there might be some better deals out there.

Favorite Trail:   All of 'em.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Cheap branded lights (AA, AAA battery sources). Some headlamps (LED).

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500, Trek 4500(commuter), soon to be Fuel EX 8, Mirra Blend 2

Submitted by slabcracker a Cross Country Rider from Mobile, Alabama, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    A very bright light

Weaknesses:    Very expensive. I have replaced the bulb 4 times(about every 6 months) because the burn out. Over the last 6 months the battery will not fully charge (i.e. after 20 minutes of riding the battery is exhausted)

Bottom Line:
I will not buy another halogen bulb again, the jury is still out on the brand.

Submitted by Collin a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2007

Strengths:    light weight, good amount of light

Weaknesses:    after using the light twice a week for the past four months, the bulb burned out. I'm not sure what the average lifespan on these bulb is, but given a new one is $20, I would have liked it to have been much longer.

Bottom Line:
The light/battery is bright, relatively light, and quick to charge. I use the helmet mount and have never really wished I had more light than the 13 watt lamp provides even at fairly high speeds. My rides are usually 2-3 hours, so I haven't had any issues with battery life. Having to replace the bulb after only four months is not so great, however.

Favorite Trail:   national

Purchased At:   beyondbikes

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight with XT gruppo

Submitted by matt a a Cross Country Rider from phx, Arizona

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing light beam pattern, lightweight, easy to use, very fast charge times, great value and performance.

Weaknesses:    not a quick change from helmet to hbar. Requires a screwdriver. Not ideal for on the trail changes, so pick a head of time.

Expensive replacement batteries, almost the cost of the light. A second battery is a must for 24 hour rides.

On off switch is mounted on light body, fine on hbar, but helmet mount is hard to turn off or switch modes.

Bottom Line:
A great headlight. I think its the best non hid headlight for the money. I run my light on the helmet. I plan on buying a second so I can run one hbar, and one helmet for optimal lighting.

Favorite Trail:   dc on somo

Purchased At:   The Path Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Niterider trailrat

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Weaknesses:    Light disappears (as any halogen does) if someone around you has an HID system. Kind of a pain if you are climbing and someone behind you had HID. Even at the highest power, the Solo Logic cant even fill in the shadows.

Bottom Line:
Good light. I use this on my bars, and a Solo on my helmet. This combination works great for trail riding.

Definitely get the quick charger with it, if you buy one of these. The charger is pretty much plug it in and forget it. The one that comes with the light doesn't do this.

I once replaced a battery with L&M, and they were super helpful and quick at replacing it. No questions asked.

Similar Products Used:   Night Rider Trail Rat, various VistaLight systems, L&M Solo Logic

Submitted by Lyle Fong from Emeryville, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight and feature-rich

Weaknesses:    Reliability, Short battery life, Short low-battery warning

Bottom Line:
I bought this light for a daily commute, most of which is on an unlit trail. Feature-wise, this light has everything I wanted; bright beam, light weight, battery gauge, adjustable handlebar mount, etc. However, I was getting closer to 1.5 hrs of burn time from a fully charged battery. The box claims a 2.0 hour burn time, although it appears that more recent marketing materials now claim 1.5 hrs. That in itself is not a problem, the bigger issue is that the low-battery warning gives me less than 5 minutes of warning. Basically, during a ride, the light will suddenly dim, and then less than 3 minutes later, it will dim again, then finally, a couple minutes later, it will shut off completely. To protect the battery, the light will not turn on again until it is recharged. I expected a 10-15 minute warning, and as a result have been stuck in total darkness on rides home. The end result is that in order to be safe, I'd have to charge the battery daily to ensure I have enough light to get home. With a 400 charge battery life, I was hoping to stretch out each charge longer.

So I contacted Light & Motion about this issue, and they said it is normal to see low-battery warnings between 5-15 minutes, and that it varies between batteries. They graciously offered to send me a new battery to see if it will help.

However, shortly after contacting them, the light suddenly would no longer turn on at all. I tried recharging the battery several times, which the charger reported had full charges. But no matter what, the light would not turn on again. (Note: I've now read that other reviewers have run into a similar problem with the L&M Arc HID lights)

So I contacted L&M again, and asked them to instead send me a full replacement instead of just the battery. Unfortunately, they required that I send the entire unit back for repairs instead. While this is a reasonable request, it also means I'd be out of a light for longer than necessary. And even if they were able to repair the symptoms, I feel little confidence that the same root problem wouldn't manifest again. Honestly, I was very surprised that such an expensive, relatively new light would suddenly stop working with no warning whatsoever. Since I depend so heavily on the light to ride safely home, I didn't feel like taking a chance. Fortunately, Bike Nashbar has a pretty liberal return policy, so I was able to return it for a refund instead.

I really like the light, but for me, reliability is more important than feature-set. Hopefully this was just an isolated defect. But at this point, I'd rather not take another chance.

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider Evolution, Light and Motion Vega, several Cateye LED AA-battery units

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tricross Comp

Submitted by Stephen Morris a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2005

Strengths:    Battery is incredibly light and the charger charges quickly. Beam is pretty bright without being overly impressive. Easy to mount to cycle frame. Battery lead connection well made and looks durable.

Weaknesses:    I actually commute 19 miles a day, rain or shine, and bought this product to avoid near misses with cars. Expensive light, but if it keeps me safe and lasts, it will become highly revered kit. First time I used it, roads wet and there was a fine drizzle, but I was shocked to discover water droplets in the light unit. Returned it the next day. Evans customer service excellent as ever and swapped it. Whether the old unit had a freak defect, or the light just isn't weatherproof remains to be seen. If the latter, it'll be returned.

Bottom Line:
There's a big question mark over an expensive product. Buying from LBS can be an advantage in such circumstances.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Various Cat Eye rechargeable units (from many years ago)and Cat Eye Opticube as a back up

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Genesis frame with Bontrager RaceLites (incorporating Chris King hubs), Vredestein slicks (excellent), XTR groupset, ATAC pedals

Submitted by drew a Cross Country Rider from morgan hill, ca

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2005

Strengths:    3 power settings, reliable, bright

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
great light for moderate bike riding in any condition. very bright and lith-ion battery last over 6 hrs. on low power and 3 hours on high power. no complaints about the preformance.

Submitted by Mike Conner a Weekend Warrior from Houston Texas USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2005

Strengths:    Great Light output and quick charging. The beam's ability to focus is a great feature. I'm using the helmet mount and trying hard to remember to avoid looking at other riders as they approach. I noticed that my time on the 6 mile loop I ride is only slightly slower at night thanks to this light!

Weaknesses:    none so far and based on the fit and finish of the product I do not expect anything to give me a problem.

Bottom Line:
This is after many hours of research the most light for the money.I would recomend it to anyone looking for a light with long burn times and a price under $300.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Park