Light & Motion Seca 700 Race Lights

4.25/5 (12 Reviews)

Light & Motion Seca 700: The Seca 700 boasts and improved beam pattern from its new bi-conic reflector which shoots a clean even beam down the trail. With its new low profile mount the 700 is equally at home on the bar or helmet and at a..

Submitted by ninerdude a Racer from Orem, Utah

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, excellent run time at all three intensities. I love the light... except

Weaknesses:    I am in the mountains, 25 degrees, 2" packed snow, night is coming on. I pull the light out of the pack to mount it on my handle bar and the cheap plastic "c" part of the strap snaps. I spend 20 minutes in the freezing cold trying to mount the light, but with the plastic part of the mount broken there is no way to get it to work. I'm screwed. I have to ride technical single track with some ice in the dark with my weak backup headlamp.

It amazes me a $500 light would have such a fragile mounting system. When I called to talk with support to figure out which replacement to get, there was no offer of replacment, and when I tried to make sure the part I was getting would work on my specific light, now they they have a new model (800), the guy seemed annoyed with my questions. I am looking at Nighrider... much better mounts.

Bottom Line:
Great light, worthless mounting system.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   outdoors unlimited

Similar Products Used:   Princetontec switchback 3, L & M Li-Ion Ultra.

Submitted by Bluediamond59 a Cross Country Rider from Farmington, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2011

Strengths:    The Light & Motion Seca 700 Race and 700 Ultra have been great bike lights. I commute daily so in the late fall to early spring it’s usually commuting in the dark 28 miles both ways. I use two of these lights. One on high or medium and the other blinking. At lease if your light that is not blinking runs out or gets low you can switch the blinking to it low power light and change the blinking light to high or medium. Yea two light running 700 lumens sound like a lot of light and would bother both on coming drivers and drivers that I come up on. I have in two years of use I have never had anybody complain. I have had drivers pull up beside me and say they liked being able to see me. Either running one or both you get very good side light (see a lot of deer along the trail and road) and can see in front of you well enough to react if you see anything in the road or trail. I have two batteries that charge up quickly. One is the 6 cell battery and the other is the 9 cell battery. They last as described. Great battery life. I had a L&M Seca 400 which the cable connecting coating where the connector connects to the battery cracked open. I contacted Light & Motion. They got back to me the same day. I sent the light to them and they repaired it and sent it back all at no charge. Great customer service.

Weaknesses:    Expensive so get them on sale. A lot of battery to take care of with a lot of wiring but worth every bit of it.

Bottom Line:
Great lights and great service. You can see where you are going and you will be seen by others. Buy them if you want to see the trail or road with plenty of time to react. Don’t buy them if you are afraid of the dark because you are going to see everything.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Light & Moting Seca 400 and sever Cateyes

Bike Setup:   Summer - 2006 Bianchi Axis, Shimano Ultegra 6700 set up Shimano XTR PD-M970 Pedals, Mavic Open Pro w/Vittoria Pave EVO CG 700 x 24c tires.
Winter - 2005 Bianchi Axis, Shimano 105 set up Shimano XTR PD-M770 Pedals, Mavic Open Pro w/ Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 32 Studded tires

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from North Brunswick

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Strengths:    The SECA 700 is ridiculously bright! It is worth every penny. It has 6 LEDS with high, medium, low, and flash settings. It mounts very nicely to the handlebars and the battery is lite and long lasting. If your are afraid of the dark, this light is for you! Night turns into day with the SECA 700.

Weaknesses:    May cause temporary blindness to oncoming traffic.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is you have to buy this light if you want to experience night riding the correct, safe, and professional way. You will not regret buying the SECA 700.

Favorite Trail:   Six Mile

Purchased At:   Kim's Bike Shop -New

Similar Products Used:   I also ride with the STELLA 200 on my helmet.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Jeykll 700

Submitted by Joshintempe a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2010

Strengths:    I have ridden with the Arc Ultra for 3 years with complete satisfaction. My light always out-shined the lights my riding buddies used. Upgraded to a Seca 700 and am super stoked. This light is amazing. Much better beam than my Ultra, the 6 cell battery is 1/3 the size, and weighs half as much.
The customer service I have received over the past three years has been outstanding. Great product. Great company.

Weaknesses:    zero. zilch. nada.

Bottom Line:
If you regularly night ride, buy this light. It is amazing. Customer service is worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   National, South Mountain

Purchased At:   Light and Motion

Similar Products Used:   Light and Motion Arc Ultra, Niterider garbage

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR, Fox F-Series 120mm, RP23

Submitted by mtb@night a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2009

Strengths:    Turns night into day

Weaknesses:    Read bottom line

Bottom Line:
I use the Seca 700 on my handlebars and the Stella 200 on my helmet. I have been on 100+ off road night time rides with this set up. The combo is perfect. The Seca covers the trail and the Stella is perfect for a spotting mountain lions in the bushes (which I have seen). Many rides have been through mud and rain with no issues. 20 mph on single track is fine. When I first purchased the light I had 2 issues. One, the battery was only lasting about 2 hours on medium. I called customer support, sent in the battery, and 3 days later had a new battery that has worked perfectly for 20 months with over 100 charges. Issue 2 was that the handle bar strap was cracking. Called customer support again. They were aware of the issue, had fixed it, and sent me 2 free replacement straps within 2 days. What more could I ask for. As a side note, I also used the Stella 400 and it worked just fine also. The 700 might be an overkill. In fact, the 700 often drops to 350 when going up hill because it has a built in safety feature to protect it from overheating. I only use the high light going down hill. This can often make it annoing if you are on step up and downs. For that reason, going with the 400 may be a better choice and less expensive. The 700 has a race mode though which toggles between high and low with a press of the button which makes it perfect.

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT

Submitted by spgallo a Racer from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2009

Strengths:    The switch is very easy to use even with gloves on. The battery life is decent, but I think their claims are over exaggerated. The light is bright and has a strong focussed beam which can light up the trail at quite a distance.

Weaknesses:    Helmet mount us useless! The mounting surface is so small that it is very difficult to stabilize to my helmet. I ended up placing a piece of folded inner tube under it which seems to help. Furthermore, light the strap will not tighten sufficiently to the mount. It could use one more adjustment whole. The light has to be continually readjusted to keep it pointed where you want it.
Light beam - the beam has a strong hotspot which is to bright for being pointed at anything close as it washes out. When the hotspot is pointed in the distance the ambient light is to week to use as a handlebar light. When used as helmet light the hotspot is nice for seeing what is coming ahead down the trail, but the ambient light is strong enough to flatten out obstacles. I would prefer a light with just a focused beam (for helmet) or just an even flood (for handlebar).
I am also concerned to use as a handlebar light as one crash and the plastic lense will break or scratch. The Trinewt has a body design which is superior for crash protection and makes a much better handlebar light as it has an even and strong flood light. (The Trinewt does not work well as a helmet light because it is heavy, switch is buried in backpack, and beam is flood.)

Bottom Line:
Bright, long battery life, but missing the mark in durability and functionality. I recommend a Trinewt for handlebar and even my Trailrat makes a better helmet light when using the Trinewt as a handlebar light.

Favorite Trail:   Mickey Mouse

Purchased At:   Ebay Dealer

Similar Products Used:   Trinewt, Digital Evolution, Tail Rat

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETSX

Submitted by MountainCycler a Cross Country Rider from Altadena, CA

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2009

Strengths:    I really like the Seca 700. Has nice wide beam, varying light options are a plus

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Good light, nice broad pattern. However, my helmet mounted Flight overpowers the LED's, but the combo is great. I would think the 700 lumens is a bit exagerrated since my HID per the Niterider website is only 500 lumens, but it pierces through the Seca. I do think this is a better beam pattern than the Trinewt or Flight though.

The value rating will be high since I purchased it on ebay. Overall, I did expect it to be head and shoulders better than the HID, but only marginally.

Favorite Trail:   Sam Merrill, Sunset

Similar Products Used:   Niterider flamethrower Not really the same since HID, Trinewt on a Niterider demo ride.

Bike Setup:   Mountain Cycle Shockwave

Submitted by indyfab25 a Cross Country Rider from Bath,Me

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Optics, ease of helmet adapter/bar adapter use, realistic light times, quick charge time, charger...

Weaknesses:    The light can move on the bar and helmet if the rubber isn't tight enough.

Bottom Line:
This light rocks. The amount of light is quite incredible. This is exaggerated by how well the light is focused. The spot is pretty well defined. I like to put it exactly where I would normally look and go for it. The difference between night and day riding is getting smaller.

Favorite Trail:   Spider Loop, Okinawa, Japan

Purchased At:   Bikeman.com

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Double and Triple Shots

Bike Setup:   Santa Craz LT2

Submitted by FNA4 a Weekend Warrior from New Mexico

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Strengths:    Quick and easy to mount with the rubber strap- and no movement on my bar. Nice beam pattern and very bright on high. The "race" feature is nice to be able to quickly go back and forth from hi to low. Good burn times and quick charge time at 2 hours is good for 24 hr racing. Overall good design with nice plugs and great on/off switch.

Weaknesses:    PRICE! And I managed to get a good deal from Performance via coupon and "price matching". I am worried about durability of the lens in a crash. I used a trinewt before that seemed to be built better to withstand crashes. The cord is a little long, but was no problem to wrap around the top tube a few times before plugging in to the battery.

Bottom Line:
This is a great light and so far I am very happy with it. I am using a NR HID on my helmet and the SECA on my bar. This is way better than my Dual Classic. I debated on getting the Trinewt, and was glad to see that the Seca is much brighter with faster charge times. I figure the exta cost is worth it if I can go fast with better vision and less chance of crashing (I'm too old for that). I have been very pleased with NR's customer service- especially at 24hr races, so I kind of feel like a traitor going with Light & Motion. I hope their customer service is as good as NR. Anyone who does 24 hr mtn bike races should strongly consider this light.

Favorite Trail:   Otero canyon

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider Trinewt, Flamethrower HID, and a Dual Classic Plus.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight with an oversized Easton monkeylite bar.

Submitted by CrotchRot a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2009

Strengths:    Very bright usable light. Nice wide light pattern. Has not died on me yet.

Weaknesses:    CUSTOMER SUPPORT!

Bottom Line:
Good light, horrible customer service. My light came without a manual. Went to their website and it was not on their yet (I will never understand that. Just a PDF for god's sake). Left multiple emails and voicemails, and have not heard a peep back (been a few months now). Still no manual. I will never understand this. It's really not that hard to put it on the site, or email it to me.

Favorite Trail:   Front side of Big Bear WAS fun

Purchased At:   Banning's

Similar Products Used:   Just about all of them over the years.

Submitted by Brianb1958 a Racer from Fresno, CA

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2008

Strengths:    Lot's of light. Great pattern. Multiple settings

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
I replaced my L&M Arc with this light because I was pretty happy with the Arc and I found out that it was no longer in production. It was also backwards compatible with the Arc light. My battery on the ARC had gone bad after 3 years of moderate use.

The new LED Seca headlight is better. The pattern is improved greatly and even though it's not much brighter. I also like the multiple settings (high, med, low, flashing) which was not possible with the HID head on the ARC.

The new mounting system is very convenient but it does tend to shake more on rough rodes because of the rubber strap.

Bottom line: If you can afford the $$$ you won't be disappointed. I'd expect there to be more affordable knock offs soon with the way LED technology is taking off.

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toads