Light & Motion Seca 400 Lights

• 1.75 hr. Recharge Time
  • 24-hour Racing

Submitted by Andy a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    3 settings, High, Low, and Flash. I have been able to ride at full capacity on the low setting, busting through the woods and scaring the shiz out of everything in my path.

Weaknesses:    It gets pretty hot. I use it for bouldering sessions at night and you forget that it gets so hot. Maybe not enough to burn you, but it makes it uncomfortable to hold.

Bottom Line:
Light recharges quickly and lasts forever on the low setting which provides more than enough light. Just remember to charge it everytime, otherwise you will get the five minute warning flash and next thing you know its off and you are walking your bike down a really steep dark scary trail.

Favorite Trail:   Mueller Park

Duration Product Used:   60 hours+

Purchased At:   chainlove.com

Bike Setup:   Used it with all my XC bikes.

Submitted by Dallboy a Racer from Bristol

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Great light perfect for my 10mile commute (half of it on totally pitch black roads). Biggest plus is the run time and charge times not forgetting the charger system. It charges very quickly and is compatible with my other L & M battery and charger (Stella).

Weaknesses:    Not found any serious ones, although I swapped the mount for my old Vega mount.

Bottom Line:
Very well made robust system, L & M think about backward compatibility so its also an investment. Light output more than adequate for my commute.

Purchased At:   Bike UK

Similar Products Used:   MiNewt, Stella, Vega

Bike Setup:   Argos Road bike

Submitted by vic_brodie a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    High light output
Even light pattern
Lightweight
Simple controls
Attaching to bike is easy
No movement while riding
Recharges in less than 2 hrs

Weaknesses:    No specific hardware to mount exactly center in the handlebar -- must mount to the side of the stem. However, I jury rigged to the center of my Thompson stem using the helmet mount hardware and a couple of zip ties. Took about 5 mins and now the light is perfectly centered and v stable.

Bottom Line:
Great balance between light output, light weight, simplicity and cost. I can't see needing much more light for non-competitive trail riding, this is ample. My nights rides are a couple of hours and it sees me through to the end on the brightest setting.

Favorite Trail:   Seven Summits, Rossland

Purchased At:   www.performancebikes

Similar Products Used:   I have used many halogen based systems in the past. This is my first LED system.

Bike Setup:   Chumba XCL

Submitted by davemud a Cross Country Rider from Pitt Meadows, BC Canada

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2008

Strengths:    Incredible wide bright beam with no hot spots. Lights the entire trail corridor almost all the way to the forest canopy. Lights all the way across a 2 lane dirt road and into the ditches far enough ahead to comportably ride 40 kmh on the flats. On downhills I can go as fast as I want on trails.

The flasher causes anything reflective to light up across a 4 lane road for over a block easily. The flasher is so bright at intersections the reflective paint on the traffic light frame makes the light frame look like a blinking light, people in their cars are looking around wondering what is with the lights lol!

Weaknesses:    I'd say cost but like any other high quality high performance bike product you do get waht you pay for. I did have to use an additional rubber shim with the tooless strap to fully secure the lamp in the torrential rain we get in Vancouver BC.

It does stick up high of the helmet and look funny in the daylight but if someone gives you a hard time just flash'm and they get it quick.

Bottom Line:
A very powerful light system, both riders on night rides and people during my commute comment on how bright it is.

Favorite Trail:   Burke Mountain

Purchased At:   Caps Westwood Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Loght and Motion Stella 120 (also excellent) Sigma Karma Pro (very good) older Vistalite 10w + 15w system, various old school irredescent lamp w/ sealed lead acid batteries.

Bike Setup:   RMB serialized Element Race Prototype, XTR derailers, Sram 9.0 rim brakes, Avid levers, RaceFace crank headset and BB, Rock Shox Recon Race, Fox Vanilla Float R, Bontrager Connection 2.0.

Submitted by caiello a Cross Country Rider from Canton, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2008

Strengths:    Lightweight. Easy to use. Bright. Wide.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Great product. If I were racing I might go for the Seca 700 though since the more light the better.

Purchased At:   cycletofitness.com

Similar Products Used:   None.

Seca 400??

I've got a chance to purchace a brand new in the box Light in Motion SECA 400 for $250.00 Is this a good deal? Since I've never riden at night, will this be enough? or will I need a helmet light also? assuming I mount this one on my bars. Thanks for any info David:confused:Read More »

Good deal on a Seca 400?

Anyone buy from this ebay seller "bentleybrooks" ? http://cgi.ebay.com/Light-Motion-SECA-400-2009-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX_W0QQitemZ370137522564QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item370137522564&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A3|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318 They are selling a Seca 400 ... Read More »

seca 400 vs. tri newt

i am looking for a handlebar mounted light system and i have narrowed my choices to light and motion's seca 400 and niterider's tri newt. if you had to choose between the two, which would you choose? the tri newt is rated @ 500 lumens, and i think the seca 400 is around 400 lumens. everyone seems ... Read More »

Seca 400 vs 700 Race

I am the fortunate owner of both a Seca 700 Race and Seca 400 (ok so one of them is actually my wife's). I thought I would share my comparisons for all: The beam pattern of these two lights is almost identical, although the 700 does not have as much of a hotspot in the centre, compared to the 40 ... Read More »

Seca 400 and Stella 200 good enough for night race?

Please give opinions on using the L&M Seca 400 as a bar mount and Stella 200 as helmet mounted lights. I have no experience with bike lighting and will be doing a 24 hour team race soon and would like to have a good lighting system. Thanks for your opinions and comments.Read More »