Light & Motion Commuter Lights

3.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Light & Motion has commuters covered.This light kit comes with both a front and rear light, perfect for commuting home from work in The evening, or riding aroundThe block. With a 300 lumen front light with side safety lights, and aTail light with 180° of visibility, rest assured you’ll be seen onThe road. Light & Motion creates productsThat are rechargeable. Rechargeable systems are more convenient, cheaper inThe long run, and don’t fill up our landfills. Front LightTe

Submitted by Tom from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Good value. Durable, water-resistant construction. Wide flood beam that's easy to adjust.

Weaknesses:    Cheap, dumb, inefficient charger.

Bottom Line:
I use this light for solo road biking (fitness rides) in town and on rural highways. After a couple of close calls with cars, I upgraded to this from a couple of flashlight-type lights. I looked at some HID models, but couldn't justify spending 50% of the value of my bike on a light.

The battery mounts securely under the top tube with a wide velcro strap, so it leaves my water bottle cage free for...a water bottle! There's a bit of excess cable that I coiled up with a cable tie and tucked between the covered part of my rear brake cable and the frame. It's not pretty but it all stays in place.

Overall, I've been happy: Car drivers seem to see me, and most oncoming drivers dim their high beams. It produces a very wide and very even flood, so aiming it isn't an issue. I can see reasonably far ahead, although I wish it had just a bit more intensity toward the front so I could see potholes a second or two sooner.

My biggest gripe is the old-fashioned "dumb" charger. You need to unplug it after 14 hours or it will overcharge the battery. For less than a 10% increase in cost, L&M could have upgraded to a more efficient and convenient smart charger that automatically charges the battery to capacity without overcharging it. Even the cheapest cordless phones have smart chargers!

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Flashlight-type lights.

Bike Setup:   Road.

Submitted by Loren a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2005

Strengths:    Bright useable light, lightweight, easy to mount, built quite stout and with the right materials. It's on clearance everywhere now!

Weaknesses:    Could have a slightly less flood type beam.

Bottom Line:
I use this light for what it's intended, and it works awesome. It's an extremely well made light. Buy it for commuting, you'll like it.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cygolite Rover Nimh- Don't do it! Two dim bulbs aren't as good as one bright one!