Light & Motion Commuter (older) Lights

3.88/5 (8 Reviews)

For those seeking an alternative way to work, the Commuter Light, has a fully adjustable head and a clear white beam for safe travel. The Commuter Light has a burn time of 2 hours and an overnight charger that won’t overcharge the battery

Submitted by Singletrack Sam a Racer from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    -Light weight
-easy to use
-outstanding price to performance ratio

Bottom Line:
It works! I was looking for a basic light to use primarily for road riding in the morning. Just needed an hour our so of lighting time and a single beam. Well this one is far less $ than most of the others and is lighter weight than most. I strap the battery pack to the seat tube and I do not even know it is there. Works well. I have got about 2 full hours out of it and it was still lighting my way. Works great, way pay more???

Favorite Trail:   uphill for the thrill

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   disposable battety powered cheapos and a basic cateye model

Bike Setup:   2004 Giant NRS Air (mtb) and a 2003 Lightspeed Vortex (road)

Submitted by M Snow a Cross Country Rider from Mesa

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2003

Strengths:    Inexpensive, good illumination for the watts, Quality is above average, small battery lasts 1.5-2 hours of riding and goes on frame , stem or back pack.

Weaknesses:    Switch in lamp fails while your riding, This happens to mine and a riding partner who switched to Nightrider.

Bottom Line:
If you like riding at night a lot buy a HID. Good lumens but not great. Switch is poor and Light motions service was less than fair. Although they did replace the switch after a long conversation because they could not duplicate this nebulous problem.

Favorite Trail:   Pass Mountain

Purchased At:   Supergo

Submitted by Daniel Reitz a Cross Country Rider from Centennial, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2003

Strengths:    Solid connectors, rugged housing, very low weight, memory-free.

Weaknesses:    Fairly low light output (10 W halogen)

Bottom Line:
This is a very well built light with solid performance. I looked into models 3X more expensive, but decided this would fill my commuting needs (city streets, paved bike trails) at night. So far, I'm very happy with the light. I don't have a problem beeing seen, but I do find myself straining to see into the depths of those pot-holes! 2 hour burn time is fine for my 1.5 hour commute, and 14 hour charge time isn't a problem. You have to love the low weight and mounting was a cinch on my standard tubular frame bike.

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   Novara MTB, set up for commuting

Submitted by Craig Fulton a Weekend Warrior from St. Pete, FL

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2003

Strengths:    Very bright.

Weaknesses:    Switch.

Bottom Line:
First time I used the light the switch melted internally on the light. Why? Because it's a 6V bulb and they are running a 7.2V battery on it. It gets very hot, but this is how they can make a 10watt bulb burn at 13watts. So, any, I call Light and Motion to have it repaired. Guess what? It's not covered under warranty because I must have been standing around with the light on. The rep told me the light must always be in motion (no pun intended) to keep cool. They wanted $50 to repair. I would have returned it to SuperGo, but I had a race the next day and I had to have it. So I took the light apart, soldered the connection around the switch on the circuit board, and this made it so the light is always on when plugged in. Finally, I bought a switch from the hobby shop and wired it in-line with the battery cable.

Funny thing, the guy at light & motion said the manual states the light must have air flow over it at all times. He also said the manual states you cannot leave the light sitting and turned on. Well, guess what? He's full of it because I read the manual 3 times and couldn't find this anywhere.

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Similar Products Used:   Vistalite. NiteRide Trail Rat.

Bike Setup:   Does it matter?

Submitted by Tim a Cross Country Rider from Port Orchard, WA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2003

Strengths:    Great mount, well sealed against water, super battery container, low price.

Weaknesses:    none that I can find, in this price range.

Bottom Line:
This is a great light for a very low price. It is superbly sealed against water, easy to mount, and does a great job of lighting the way on those early morning commutes. By far the best quality set-up that I have used. I liked it so much, I bought another for my better half! If you are rich, pop for the ARC!

Purchased At:   Fat Tire Farm, Portland, OR

Similar Products Used:   Vistalight, NiteRider

Bike Setup:   1991 Salsa Ala Carte, set up for commuting, rigid fork and fenders (tends to be wet here in the Seattle area, and I commute 365)

Submitted by Michael from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2002

Strengths:    This unit is built rugged, will be able to take a beating and is water resistant as well.

Weaknesses:    Beam is un-adjustable

Bottom Line:
Well the price is phenomenal for what you are getting. The biggest grip I had was L&M’s website and brochures just do not all add up. My light is a 10W where in all their literature they advertise 13W so that is the biggest disappoint. Not sure weather it will take a 13W, still looking into that. Also the beam is fixed as well at flood. But all in all this is a great light for $100, if you want a few more features them go to the solo.

Purchased At:   Out Spoke'n

Bike Setup:   Specialized Rockhopper

Submitted by Bighoops a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    Update!
Very water resistant. Did 25 miles last night through a non stop downpour this light still amazes me.

Weaknesses:    Disregard the mounting weakness mentioned above, I have found that the seatpost is the perfect mounting position for the battery. Out of the way and a very slick install.

Bottom Line:
Still a great light for the money.The more I use the more I appreciate. So I'm upgrading my overall to five chili's.

Submitted by Bighoops a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, SC

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2002

Strengths:    Simple,predictable,no shadows in a very usable light patern. Light weight for amount of output. Replaceble mounting "grommets" to fix a crash induced disasemmbly

Weaknesses:    Battery placement on non round frame tubes. Does not come with helmet mount.

Bottom Line:
A great light for someone who needs to get their after work ride in, but does not need or want a night racing lite. Although labeled as a commuter lite, it is bright enough for even the darkest nights on the darkest trails. Thank goodness someone made a light that is truly plug and play. I am cheap but have no problems laying down the cash for this light. 4 chili's cause for $125 I think it should come with a helmet mount.

Favorite Trail:   Ft Jackson Firebreaks