Home | Reviews | Lights | Knog

Knog Gator 605 Lights

2.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Light Unit:

• LED Specifications: 2 x 3 Watt Hi-powered LED and 1 x 5mm LED
  • Burn Time: 4-4 hours (optimum brightness)
  • Light Patterns: 32°spread (flood light), up to 600m visibility (flasher)
  • Dimensions (MM): 60 x 42 x 55

• Charge Time: Smartcharge, 4 hours
  • Dimensions (MM): 278 x 40 x 26
  • Weight (G): 43

Accessories Included:

• AC charger unit. “Anti-short” power cable (light to battery) with weather proof connectors. 2 quickrelease silicone cable ties with universal-fit cable connection. Fabric drawstring storage bag.

Read the Pro Review on This Product Here>>

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by donogl a Weekend Warrior from Koblenz Germany

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2009

Strengths:    Hi, i can only tell you its the greatest lamp i have ever used!

I have written a short Gator 605 review too, with some video-footage.

You can find it here:

Weaknesses:    ----

Bottom Line:
    ------

Favorite Trail:   All around the world

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   ---

Bike Setup:   ----

Submitted by bruteman a Cross Country Rider from Seoul, South Korea

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Ease of setup and mounting

Weaknesses:    No helmet mount, questionable quality.

Bottom Line:
    First one didn't work out of the box, but the folks at Modern Bike quickly got me another. The light seems nowhere near the ad hype, rather pedestrian in my opinion. The middle size LED stopped working after one year of sparse use. I don't think it was worth the money at all and wouldn't recommend it for any application. It's not nearly enough light for trail riding and way too expensive for commuting.

Favorite Trail:   Hidden Trail

Purchased At:   Modernbike.com

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn X4

Bike Setup:   Hardtail and All MTN

Submitted by eppy a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2008

Strengths:    Design, Ease of fitting, weight, light beam spread, almost white light.

Weaknesses:    suspect quality,

Bottom Line:
    Just bought The Gator 605 after having 2x 10w Halogen lights. As expected, 2 x 3w LEDs appeared to give about half the luminesence of both the Halogens, which is still fine for the road use I bought them for. However, unlike my previous lights, the output isn't quite good enough for picking out potholes on a narrow trail so I'd wouldn't recommend them for MTB use. I was comfortable cycling fast downhill on a twisty, dark country lane, which is what I bought these for.

However, I am very concerned about the quality. It is appears to be a case of design over substance. I've already had one LED stop working due to bent pin in the connector (the connector looks almost identical to PS/2 mouse or keyboard connector, and seems way too flimsy for this use). Also, the end of the battery tube that has the power cable has already pulled out twice, exposing the inner wiring and circuit board.

I'll keep these as they will do the job I wanted (cycling on unlit roads at nights) but I wouldn't recommend them at the price I paid.

Bike Setup:   Devinci MTB/Road

Submitted by bob Jackson a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2007

Strengths:    VERY COOL design -really simple method of attaching to the bars. Blindingly bright particularly when compared to the cat Eye LED's I have on my other bike. I love the illuminated button pad - and the flexibility it gives me re the battery time - even with this I get great battery time on full power!

Weaknesses:    I found that I needed to pin back my brake cables - easliy done with a small cabe tie as the main lens sits inline with the bar. I'd like the helmet mount NOW - but it (apparently) wont be availalbe until Feb 2008.

Bottom Line:
    I'd recommend these to anyone wanting a seriously bright light - that is also "finally" well designed! The silicon straps "rock" and the solid construction should out last the other lights around the same price. I use them on th trails and they give me plenty enough light for the really fast tracks Sure - these are not HID - but they're bright - and I'm lovin em! ... I dont comute but.. for anyone darting round from work to home - I recon these would be perfect - as they ae easy to take on and off the bike - and look the part too!

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Double Shot -Pro - the Gator 605 eats it up! both amount of light and battery time.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale

Submitted by John a Racer from Southern New Jersey

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2007

Strengths:    Visually appealing, very cool design.
    Slim, lightweight battery.
    2 3W LEDs give off plenty of bright light as main light or only light in the woods.
    Seem like they are well constructed.

Weaknesses:    Reliability; didn't even last 1 mile in the woods before they flickered out and died on me.
    No helmet mount option.

Bottom Line:
    Very cool looking, excellent design, and absolute pieces of crap. "Looks aren't everything?" Certainly not when it comes to riding in the woods at night. These worked great for the first 1/2 mile or so, then flickered on/off over the first roots I encountered, then died for good the next set of roots. Roots, mind you, not 4 foot drops! Must be some quality-control issue at the factory, and there's a loose connection internally...

IF these had been durable, they would have been great to use as your only light for commuting, or as the bike light when paired with another helmet light for the trails. Crummy that there is no helmet mount option, because that battery would be like putting a compact road pump in your jersey pocket.

I'm taking these back to my LBS today; hopefully I just got a defective set, because the overall design looks promising.

Purchased At:   350

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn X-series, numberous other lights that I've "borrowed" here and there.

Bike Setup:   2 wheels, red, now with a light on the handlebars.

Knog Gator 605 Lumen Output?

The USA distributor is closing-out lights, clearing inventory. How does this stack up to a Dinotte 400L or Nite Rider Tri Newt?Read More »