JetLites X-51 Lights

JetLites has announced the release of the new E-LITE Series: X-51. The E-LITE Series: X-51 is a single beam LED using the latest in CREE LED technology available for helmet mount or single and dual bar mount. The bar mount fits standard and oversized bars and is unique in that it allows vertical light head adjustment even while riding and is a snap to install. The helmet mount also has vertical adjustment and is the only mount recognized by the Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute for its patented breakaway safety system. The lighthead weighs only 90gms, 356gms with battery, and puts out 825 Lumens. It is powered by high quality Panasonic Lithium Ion cells contained in the new, scaled down, more durable case. The case is designed for a better fit on all bike geometries with a waterproof strain relief connection and a one-way breather valve. The X-51 produces more of a spot beam pattern and compliments the flood pattern of its brother the A-51. The E-LITE series line is all mix and match so the rider has the ultimate in lighting versatility.

• New Power Gauge Button
  • 90 Gram Light Head
  • 825 Lumens
  • Helmet or Bar Mount
  • 7.4V Li-Ion battery
  • One-year warranty

• JetLites X-51 Pro Review

Jet lites does not mess around. The proprietor, David Joseph solves problems then he iterates over and over until the solution is as good as can be for his customers. He pays deep respects to the work of the founder Jim Taylor as he keeps Jim’s legacy alive with quality and safety for the mountain biker. The design is solid as the light is robust and the mount is one of the best. This version of the light comes with the latest CREE XM-L led and that really is the brightest emitter available today. Continue reading →

Submitted by mvmorten a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2012

Strengths:    Quality build, bright light, good battery life. The handlebar mount is great and doesn't move around but still gives you the ability to adjust it up and down. It is really well built.

Weaknesses:    Battery mounting system (velcro strap and rubber brace) could be better, but hasn't caused a problem for me.

Bottom Line:
    Great light! I usually run it on low and it is bright enough for me riding dirt roads and bike paths with the occasional mountain bike trail.

Purchased At:   Jetlites.com

Bike Setup:   2012 Specialized Hard Rock Disc 29er

Submitted by mtb4146 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2012

Strengths:    Size, Battery life, light output, helmet and bar mount, construction of light, customer service

Weaknesses:    battery holder for frame is wierd, zip ties work better

Bottom Line:
    I bought this light along with the helmet light and extra battery all at once from Jet Lites. When I call the place to order it the guy on the phone was great and talked to me for quite awhile about night riding. This was my first serious light for night time riding so I had some questions. I got the light soon after that and I have used it many times since. Its light and compact. I perfer to run it on my helmet for singletrack and it stays up there great. No issues what so ever. I have used it on the bars once for a 40 mile gravel ride and it again worked great. So far the thing I am most impressed about it that I have yet to use the high setting. I have been riding all my singletrack and doubletrack on the low setting. It is really bright. Another nice thing about the light is how easy it is to switch on and off with bike goves on. I can't wait to use it again. Very good product

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Jet lites

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider

Bike Setup:   Niner Air9

Submitted by dec993 a All Mountain Rider from Los Gatos, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2012

Strengths:    Very bright, durable, MADE IN THE USA.

Weaknesses:    None thus far.

Bottom Line:
    I have two. I run one on my helmet and one on my bars. I'll admit I'm somewhat biased, as I received them as a gift from Joyce (founder Jim Taylor's wife), but I wouldn't hesitate to spend my own $199 each. They're completely worth it. They're light, to the point where I forgot that I had a battery pack strapped to my frame and one in my camelback. I've gotten them dirty, crashed hard with them, and basically done things with them that would've destroyed my previous lights. The fact that they're made close by is also a big plus. Oh and they're bright. Really bright. Bright to the point where I have to turn them on low when I'm riding on the street so as not to blind people in cars. They light up the trail (the whole trail, not just the center of the trail) just as well at speed. I have yet to crash due to lack of illumination, and that's saying a lot, as the trails I ride are rough, rocky, rooted, singletrack with unavoidable jumps and drops. 5/5 chili's overall, and for value because the price seems like a great deal for this level of quality and performance.

Favorite Trail:   Braille

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   Nightriders

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Ciclón, Fox RP23 shock, Fox 32 Talas 140RLC fork, Chris King/DT EX500 wheelset, Shimano XTR/Sram X.9 drivetrain.

Submitted by night ryder a Downhiller from Truckee, CA, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2012

Strengths:    1)Easy setup 2)Sleek and lightweight 3)Can be used on helmet, bars or any other place the helmet mount can be strapped 4)Made in U.S.A.

Weaknesses:    None found thus far.

Bottom Line:
    The short version: I ride at night a lot. Mainly at night actually. In fact, most of the things I end up doing end up happening at night. So, I have tried lots and lots of lights. I like many of them, but when it comes down to spending my hard earned money, I always end up buying a JET Lite. (Or 2 for the price of some other lights on the market.) The guys at JET are the best in the industry. Excellent customer service and product knowledge. Also, they actually use their products on a pretty much daily basis. They know what works for them and can definitely recommend something that will work for you. By buying a JET lite, you are supporting good people as well as supporting a company that actually builds their product here in the U.S., creating more jobs and stimulating local economy.

I am very impressed with this light! It is quite bright and the run time is adequate for most situations. The beam pattern is slightly more focused than the A51 which is a common complaint with that system. The X51 is definitely enough light for riding in the majority of conditions that most people will encounter. In fact, it is enough light that I often use it when riding my dirt bike as well as my mountain bike. I haven't used it for extremely fast desert style riding yet, but it is enough light for fire roads up to 50 MPH.

I won't get into the whole "lumens" debate since I think pretty much every light on the market is over rated. I'll just say that it is bright enough. Almost as bright as my JET Blast 1000. However, the Blast I run has the Narrow beam pattern so it is really more of a thrower with a very bright hot spot. In many cases the Blast is just too much light. When riding in lots of moon dust it can become a bit of an issue. So lately I have been finding myself just using the X51 instead.

The light head is rugged while still being light weight and compact. It uses a push style button switch that is easy to manipulate even while wearing thick gloves. It also has a LED light built in so you can see if the light is plugged in. (As with any high powered light, DON'T leave it plugged in!) This LED will change from Green to Red when the light approaches the 20 minute left mark on high and 40 minute mark on low. It is impossible to see this when it is mounted on a helmet, but can be used in any other configuration. The connection is solid and is also easy to use while wearing gloves.

My favorite feature of this light is probably the helmet mount. It offers an almost infinite range of adjustment which can be done on the fly. This is an awesome feature for commuters who are worried about blinding oncoming traffic. The break away design is another welcome feature that I have accidentally tested myself and can vouch for. It probably saved my neck the few times I have failed to duck enough to clear a low hanging tree branch.

In addition to the actual design features, the helmet mount is quite versatile. By removing one of the straps it can be installed on the shoulder strap of every backpack I own. Voila! A hands free backpack light that blows any head lamp out of the water. The battery is light enough that I don't feel guilty tossing it in a 70LB pack on a multiple day trip. I recently brought it on a slightly snowy and very cold 3 day backpacking trip. The temperatures reached -3 F at night and I figured that it would just end up dying because of the cold. To my surprise, it was the only light that lasted the trip. Even headlamps with spare AA, or CR123 lithium batteries all died on the second night. The X51 ended up pulling double duty as a shoulder mounted light as well as our camp light when all others failed.

Getting back on track: the battery is sized so that it can be placed in pretty much any hydration pack. It is durable enough to drop onto concrete from a lifted truck and come away with only minor scuffs. The charging system is simple and is whisper quiet unlike some systems.

In conclusion, I love this new X51! If I were to nit pick, I would like to see one more light level to increase runtime even more. But really if I need more than 6 hours then I have bigger things to worry about than how much light I have left.

By the way, I just got my new JET Lites F1 cordless and it is sweet! Bright enough to ride fast with and small enough to replace my every day carry flashlight. Only had it for 1 day so more to come on that. Now I have many Streamlight and Surefire flashlights to give away next Christmas!

Favorite Trail:   I love them all!

Purchased At:   Jetlites.com

Similar Products Used:   Lots of bike lights. Mostly JET lights, nightriders, lupines, etc.

Bike Setup:   Intense SS1 Frame with new style lower link, DHX 5, Fox 180 Talas Kashima. Deity bars, Thompson stem and seat post. Sram XO/X9. Maxxis Minion DHF front and rear, Sun MTX rims and Hadley hubs.