JetLites Starfire I Dual Beam Lights

(20W) 55 ft wide x 200ft

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by tomj a Cross Country Rider from San Jose, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2009

Strengths:    Full trail ilumination, great color. Jet Lites support picks up the phone and talks with you!

Weaknesses:    None that I have found it is over 7 years in service.

Bottom Line:
    Bought these lamps in 2002 for Tahoe Granny Gear. Still in use today. Love the support the Jet Lites team provides, the product is still working and keeping me on the trails @ night. Hey come

Favorite Trail:   The Gap, Saratoga California, Rancho Canada Del Oro/Open Space Authority

Purchased At:   Directly

Similar Products Used:   Phantom Single Beam (also

Bike Setup:   Seven Sola full XTR, Giant ATC full XT, Marin full XTR

Submitted by BC Shelby a Weekend Warrior from Portland OR

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent workmanship and detail. The threaded connectors are definitely a big plus (no more "lights out" on a rough road). Brilliant, white light. Fast charge time (especially compred to my old light set) Rock solid mount.

Weaknesses:    About the only one (& this is real nitpicky) is the extra rubber spacer for the quick release is easy to misplace or lose. Performance and quality wise - none

Bottom Line:
    This is one sweet light system. It's not only stopped dogs & cats in their tracks, but cars as well. With a late work schedule I frequntly find myself riding home after dark. Part of my commute is on a street where motorists on the cross streets chronically run stop signs sometimes right in front of you. In the past I have come close to T-boning these idiots on numerous occasions. With the Starfire Dual's huge bright beam they stop. This light has also paid itself back many times over when it helped me avoid what could have been a very nasty head-on with a van that had a burnt out left headlight.

As to the system itself, again the quality is the best I've seen. It is definitely vibration proof (Portland streets are notoriously rough) and gives a nice big beam that illuminates a good Distance. The Quick Release is just that - quick. I have no trouble removing the lighthead from my handlebars (an issue I had with my old system) even with my badly arthritic hands. Once mounted, it stays put.

The five levels of brighntness come in real handy and I often switch between them depending on the area I'm riding in. (low beam for in the city, High on the lit side streets and "rolling daylight" on those dark backstreets in my neighbourhood. I even use the low beam during daylight on those dreary days (which we have many of here), and it still catches motorists' eyes.

If you want to "see and be seen" - whether you are a trail bomber or just a daily commuter - the Starfire Dual is worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Marwi Night Pro

Bike Setup:   Vintage 82 Stumpjumper rigged for 365 days a year urban commuting

Submitted by MudPIe a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2004

Strengths:    Solid and dependable. The light seems whiter than the halogens of fellow riders. The run time is very good for a halogen set-up. My rides are typically 2 to 2.5 hours. I like the ability to choose between 5 different power settings, and I like the indepedent spot and flood lamps. The lights are easy to aim on-the-fly; yet they don't move even when going over the rough stuff. The "smart charger" for the NiMH battery makes life easy - no worries about over- or undercharging the battery.

Weaknesses:    The adjustable clamp seems to be a bit small for my handlebars. The adjusting screw is not fully engaged into the body of the clamp. Visually, it's a little disturbing, but I've been using it for over a year without a problem.

Bottom Line:
    Basically, an outstanding and well engineered light system. I've probably been on over 50 night rides with these and they never let me down. Initailly, I worried about the batteries dying before their advertised times or breaking the lamps, but this system proved itself as a tough and dependable light system.

Purchased At:   Univeral Cycles (Portland, OR)

Similar Products Used:   None, but compared to the halogens of fellow riders, these are clearly the brightest and whitest light.

Bike Setup:   Fisher Cake 2DLX, stock

Submitted by Larry Phillips from Lancaster, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    bright light, waterproof, easily aimed and with good beam pattern,

Bottom Line:
    I use for commuting about 10 miles each way to work everyday. May seem to be overkill but country roads can be dark. When cars approach or pass lesser lights will leave you blind for a critical few seconds. But not these lights. So I highly recommend for bombing down backroads. These lights have been absolutely dependable in all conditions including drenching thunderstorms. I have used them in daylight to draw attention to myself in heavy traffic.
    The battery is heavy but so was the Performance Pro and these lights reliable unlike the Performance lights.

Purchased At:   Jet

Similar Products Used:   Performance Pro

Bike Setup:   Trek 2000

Submitted by Nev from Flower Mound, TX

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Strengths:    BRIGHT! Durable. Great mounting.

Weaknesses:    Zip

Bottom Line:
    Bright as hell. Level switch is great. I've gone down in the dark many times but the lights have never gone out. Easy on and off. (I have two sets. New adjustable mounts are even better.) Every time I've ever ridden with others my lights are the brightest. I've lit the way for others in front of me when their lights ran out. Charge fast. Ride pretty bumpy terrain so they get pretty shaken up, never had a problem. Just now changing my first bulb. Service great too. Own these.

Purchased At:   Direct from Jet

Similar Products Used:   First and only lights.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stump. Crossmax. XTR. Easton Monkeylight.

Submitted by Ron Wilson a Cross Country Rider from Oceanside, CA

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2003

Strengths:    Durable! Bright! Long Lasting Battery! Quick Recharge! Easy to operate! Awesome Customer Support!!!

Weaknesses:    NONE Related to the Product.

You do need to be careful not to over torque the handle bar mount. (Just a mental note when cranking the lever down)

Bottom Line:
    These lights rock! As bright if not brighter then any ARC or Blow(me)Torch. With this light you can really see what's coming... with other 'White' lights you're guessing if it's a root or a ditch, snake or a stick. I like the detail that the Jet Lights give me. The lights can also withstand abuse... now I'm not gonna try and find out how much, but lets just say then can take the average fall and occasional tree clipping. (These lights show you where to go but you still gotta get the bike to go there). I wouldn't but anything else! And now that my wife just got a bike... I know who I'll be calling to dial me in... Jim at Jet Lites.

Favorite Trail:   The Luge, Ortega, The Grove

Purchased At:   Jet Lites - Directly from Jim Taylor

Bike Setup:   Salsa Hardtail, XTR/XT, MARS and Cane Creek

Submitted by Don C. a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    Bright, white light, Weatherproof, Quality construction/materials, Long burn life, and most importantly... THE COMPANY STANDS BEHIND ITS PRODUCT!

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses after the first season.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is: These lights WORK! They do what they're supposed to... and they do it very well. The light is extremely bright. The charger handles it's job properly...fast & smart. It's tough and well built.

I ride with a friend who has a Niterider Storm. It was pitch black, so we stopped and compared light power. When we went "toe to toe", I destroyed his $390. light. It's a fine light, but for the money....no contest. I didn't have to tell him, because he knew immediately that he would have been better off with a Jet Lite.

Oh, yeah...If you ever have a question, just e-mail Jim Taylor, the owner. He normally responds immediately and will help you with whatever your concern is. He's a good guy and will take the time to solve your problem.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails

Purchased At:   Univeral Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Marwi

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS-1 with assorted good stuff

Submitted by Paolo a Weekend Warrior from Imola, ITALY

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2003

Strengths:    Weight, Light

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
    It has a price 6 times to similar products in Europe... but it is better then others. I use as new bulbs similar alogen bulbs (made for home) with a silicon reinforcement. (same light but 4€ vs 30€...)

Purchased At:   Cambria , CA

Bike Setup:   Mtb, night country

Submitted by JH a Cross Country Rider from The Quah

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2003

Strengths:    Durability, Weatherproof, Bright, Dimming Ability to save power, Lots of options available. Customer service rocks!

Weaknesses:    Not enough hours in the night. Damn woodland creatures freak-out.

Bottom Line:
    I originally purchased just the Dual i. Found the handle bar mounts to be a real limitation on the lights' ability. I then purchased a second battery and the helmet mount. Placed the 12W on my head and the 20W on the bar. I use the 20W only for bombing downhill. The 12W is on from the momment I hit the trail. If there is a lot of straight fireroad riding or something, I'll use only the 20W in the 10W power save mode, which is still more then enough light to ride with. I've been on rides that have gone well into three hours and have yet had to go home because a battery was dead. Can't wait for the 24 races to start.

Favorite Trail:   TMT, Tolt, Pollo Elastico

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Niterider

Bike Setup:   Blur, XTR, Marzocchi, Raceface, Kore, ODI, Chris King, Jagwire, Fox

Submitted by Lance Hays from Kansas City, MO US friggin A

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    Bombproof construction. Durability under all conditions

Weaknesses:    Handlebar mount for dual lights takes a while to mount using the rubber spacers/joiners. Plastic casings nick more than metal would

Bottom Line:
    These lights will work completely submerged, at least mine did. I dumped myself and my bike into a 25 degree (farenheit) river at night while on a ride. I found my bike by the lights shining under the water. My drivetrain and cables froze but the lights still work.

I would only post a review if I felt the product deserved credit. It most certainly does. Great customer service, bright light, durable, and less annoying and finicky as some of the HIDs I've come across.

Favorite Trail:   BuRP

Purchased At:   Jetlites.com

Bike Setup:   2002 KHS FXT Pro (Trail Bike)
    2001 Specialized (Urban Assault)

Submitted by Christopher Stelz a Weekend Warrior from Cameron Park, CA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Bright, white light
    Duration of intensity(I've yet to see it dimmed)
    Value of the product
    and the #1 strength: GREAT customer service from Jet

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    This is an addendum to my previous review. I gave the light system 4 chilis for some insane reason. The system deserves 5. My friends with much more expensive Nightrider systems comment how bright and "sweet" my Jet system is. Each ride I do makes me like the system more and more. GO BUY A JET LIGHT SYSTEM! You will not be disappointed. Hi, Jim!

Favorite Trail:   Toad's, Trail 8, all Santa Barbara riding

Purchased At:   universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Cygolite, Nightrider

Bike Setup:   RM Instinct

Submitted by Micki a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2002

Strengths:    Bright, bright, white lights, long runtimes, easy to mount, lightweight, modular system allows you to easily use one or both light heads. Fast smart charger. Cool looking blue lighthead casings that give off a neat violet glow in the dark!!

Bottom Line:
    I returned a Niterider Digital Evolution and bought the Jet Dual Starfire thinking that I needed a Dual beam to get the amount of light I desired. Well the Jet is so bright, I could have gotten the single beam - the single beam is way brighter than the Niterider single beam and less expensive. But I kept the dual beam because you can never have too much light. I got caught in an hour long rainstorm last week and the light worked flawlessly through it. The runtimes are great. I do not have to keep a spare charger at work anymore. I was a little leery of the plastic clip that connects the lighthead to the mount, but I can't call it a weakness because it hasn't failed despite hitting some bone jarring potholes.

Very, very satisfied. What more could you want in a light?

Purchased At:   universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Digital Pro 6 (wiring problems), Cygolite Night Rover (not enough runtime), Niterider Digital Evolution (not bright enough)

Bike Setup:   Doesn't matter, but I use the light on my commuter/trail bike.

Submitted by Christopher a Weekend Warrior from Cameron Park

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2002

Strengths:    I love the button which velcros to your handlebar, enabling you to turn one or both lights on/off/dimmed accordingly. Much easier than fumbling for a button mounted on the light itself. The light is white and strong. Mounts easily, and adjusts easily.
    The price is great.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
    I also bought a helmet mounted Starfire single. The second ride I used this system on, we got caught in a downpour. The lights were not effected in the least. The ride was about 1 1/2 hours and neither my bar lights, nor my helmet light, lost any intensity. I also had to exchange some items that I received and called Jet directly to do so. They were excellent on the phone, gave me great service, and even sent me the new parts I needed without charging me, as long as I sent the unused parts back after getting the new ones. I am very impressed with the product and the company. They're on the same scale as Nightrider, but more affordable. What else can I say?

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toad's, Trail 8 at Fleming Meadows

Purchased At:   Universal Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Cygolite, Nightrider

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instinct

Submitted by chuck a Cross Country Rider from santa cruz

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2002

Strengths:    WHITE LIGHT, intelligent five hour charger( just plug in, forget about it, and play), bomb-proof casing, customer service.

Weaknesses:    none so far and i don't expect there to be any.

Bottom Line:
    if your looking for a bright, white light system, here it is. the starfire i dual beam uses a 12v lamp pushed at 13.2v. this is what gives this light its power.
    night rider does the same thing (and some others), but jet lites gives it to you for a better price. compared to night rider, jet lites are just as durable, if not more.
    the customer service is unbeatable. jim can answer every question you throw at him and then some. thanks jim.

Purchased At:   lbs