JetLites Phantom Single Beam Lights

• Beam Pattern: 30 ft wide x 200ft

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by trailin a Cross Country Rider from Easton, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2009

Strengths:    This was a great light when it was running. I had no issues going fast at night on rough singletrack and that is a major determining factor in my decision making.

Weaknesses:    New connections on revised product required me to spend a little less than the cost of a new light to get it running again after the battery would no longer hold a charge...Lame! This was after probably 3 to 4 years of owning the light. I probably used/re-charged this light only a couple dozen times in the 4 years I used it and there's the rub.....it's not just how many times you charge the battery that kills it, it's shelf life will deteriorate whether you use it or not. That's just not good enough for me. My buddy has a 10 year old nightrider light and the battery just recently went on him....both NiMH.
    Weight....on the heavey side.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line is, as much as I liked this light I couldn't justify spending close to $300 dollars to convert the connections over. There are better lights for the price and lighter as well.
    Jet has got a great reputation and an excellent light pattern out on the trail but battery didn't last long enough for me and replacement cost are STEEP.

Favorite Trail:   Chimney Rock

Purchased At:   jetlites

Similar Products Used:   Princeton Tech Switchback III, Nightrider miniNewt USB

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500

Submitted by OSnap a Cross Country Rider from Earth

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    Bright - batter last for over 2 hrs

Weaknesses:    this is really nit picking...but the battery seems a little heavy but you won't notice it in a back pack

Bottom Line:
    I got this light after trying other HID systems. In my opinion the HID is too bright and seems to wash trail features out when riding. The Halogen has just enough yellow tint to it that gives you better vision at night. Plus the 20W is just as bright as the HIDs

The price is close to $300, which is kind of steep but you really get what you pay for and flying through the woods at night seeing is a good thing!!

Similar Products Used:   HID

Bike Setup:   SS 29er

Submitted by Wesley Pomeroy a Weekend Warrior from Watertown, Ct.

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2007

Weaknesses:    Battery is heavy, although once it's in the back pack I don't seem to notice the weight.

Bottom Line:
    Bought the 20 watt version because you can select high output (20 w, 2 hrs of run time), medium ouput (15 w, 3 hrs of run time), or low output (10 w, 4 hrs of run time). To conserve the battery, I run the light mostly on low or medium, saving the high beam for downhills (when I know they are there). I have ridden over three hours and still had some battery left.
    I was a little apprehensive about spending a couple hundred bucks when I wasn't sure if I would like riding at night. All I can say now is, riding at night is AWESOME! I wish I had bought this light a couple of years ago.
    Jet lites slogan is "the second most fun you can have in the dark." Believe it.
    This is money well spent. 5 Flamin Chilis all around!

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Tree Fort Bikes

Submitted by William Belisle Jr a Cross Country Rider from East Hartford, CT USA

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2007

Strengths:    Great light, nice cable hook up, (screw on) battery seems to last a good long time, have been in the woods for 2 hrs in the cold and it was still bright. Battery is fairly compact. Light is not heavy. Nice quality.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    So far a great light FOR THE PRICE. It is not as bright as expected it to be, its not bad, just not as bright as I thought. For the price you can't beat it, just read all the good reviews. In retrospect, I think I will go with HID next time, but of course, LOTS more $$$$. So I am very happy with this light, it does the job well..
    I cannot forget to mention BikerBob.com. Bob's customer service is second to none, and he provides quick shipping. He accidently sent the wrong mount(bar mount), and I wanted helmet mount. he sent the right mount right away.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mtn

Purchased At:   BikerBob.com

Similar Products Used:   5 yr old NiteRider

Bike Setup:   Haro X-1 extreme, carbon bars, ATAC pedals, By-Cycle saddle, Fox air shock.

Submitted by Victor a Cross Country Rider from Coatesville, PA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2007

Strengths:    Affordably priced, good water resiliency.

Weaknesses:    Diffuse nature of the beam.

Bottom Line:
    It's a great light, given the price. And the light works exactly as advertised. It just doesn't compare to the bright beam of an HID light, though. The beam is diffuse and not suitable for ripping fast downhills at high speed. I will testify to the water resistancy of the light. I rode this thing in a torrential downpour, and it worked flawlessly the next weeks ride, with no special cleaning or drying. You can't make a mistake when buying this light, just that there are more powerful (and expensive) lights to choose from.

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Seven Cycles singlespeed, rigid.

Submitted by Ray W a Racer from Puyallup

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Strengths:    Super bright, and an amazing track record of flawless reviews. Smart, simple, break-away mount. Easy operation. Wide beam, bright enough you wont outrun it on the downhills.

Bottom Line:
    Bought this light after reading all of the reviews. Spoke with Jim and company a few times too. The light is super bright. I got mine from mountains plus, came with both the 20W and 12W bulbs. I easily get over 2hrs out of the battery at full power with the 20w Halogen bulb. Avertised at 2hrs, usually get 2.5hrs +/- (NiMH battery).
    I bought this light to do 24hr races and night riding. It also works great in training rides on the road, cars definitely notice you. I just took it out for the first 24hr. race last weekend. Worked perfectly, the whole time. What is even better is Jim will rent you two extra batteries for endurance / 24hr. events. I ended up having more battery life than I needed. That was really nice.
    Which leads me to my final point, the customer service is incredible from these folks. I have the NiMH battery, Jim just got in the Lithium batteries and sent up two of those for me to try out for the race.
    If you're looking for a new light or your first light get one of these. If the reviews don't convince you give these guys a call. They are really dedicated to making and standing behind a superior product.

Favorite Trail:   skookum flats

Purchased At:   mountain plus gear

Bike Setup:   Depends

Submitted by Braham a Weekend Warrior from Denton, TX

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    Burning time (3:20h for the 12W), awesome craftmanship, durability, reliability. You buy it and forget about it!!!!

Weaknesses:    Weight. It never bother me cause the product is outstanding though

Bottom Line:
    I have used this product for around 5 years and have never had to change the bulb. Battery is runing perfectly (holding charge and burning time)
    Always reliable, people always comment about the amount of light output (even with only 12W).
    Have never had a single problem. Always in good shape. It's a light that you forget that you have since always works as last time
    Best product, period
    Oh, and you can always call Jim (owner)that he will answer any question and give you the best recomendation
    You will never regret to buy this light!!!

Favorite Trail:   anything technical

Purchased At:   Jetlite (I think)

Bike Setup:   trailbike

Submitted by andrew khody a Weekend Warrior from glendale,ca

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2007

Strengths:    Powerfull flood light, very reliable.

Weaknesses:    Cant see far ahead for fast downhill riding. You will need an extra backpack for the battery.... its huge and heavy.

Bottom Line:
    This is a great light for the price but dont count on riding fast downhill. The light is mostly flood and you cant see much down the track. Also as I said again the battery for this light is BIG and Heavy. Battery lasts about 2 hours on high output which is ok. The wiring connection is excellent screw-in type.

Favorite Trail:   wulnut fireroad

Purchased At:   online

Bike Setup:   Prophet 800

Submitted by Andy from Richmond, Virginia, USA

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2007

Strengths:    No nonsense, solid construction and connections. Use on both trails and road - 20w bulb provides outstanding illumination. Great value.

Weaknesses:    None what so ever

Bottom Line:
    My Niterider died and I didn't want to spend $$$ on a similiar replacement system. Tried the Light and Motion Vega - compact and simple but not powerful enough, particularly on trails. The Jet is fantastic and a great value!

Similar Products Used:   Niterider halogen - bright but delicate

Bike Setup:   Full fleet of road, cross and mountain - excellent quick release makes changing a breeze.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Breinigsville PA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    This thing is as bright as the Sun! Unbelievable how bright this little light is.

Weaknesses:    Just don't look directly at the light!

Bottom Line:
    This light is great! The JET lite is bright with a wide beam and an awesome value!

I bought the 20 W light and the beam is so bright and wide, the trail is illuminated as if you are riding during the middle of the day. The beam is wide enough so you have good peripheral vision (read...no on-trail surprises). The battery lasts for two hours and charges fast and easy in the charger.

I paid less than $200 (delivered) and I haven't seen anything else that gives you this kind of value. This gets five chilis!!

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Nite Hawk and Lupine

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 3

Submitted by Rudy a Cross Country Rider from Kutztown, PA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    Sets the woods ablaze with its 20 watt bulb. Easy to mount to helmet. Charges really fast.

Weaknesses:    Other guys want you to ride behind them to light their way, and to stand over them to do a fix it job.

Bottom Line:
    The money spent was well worth it, and I don't think that it is that much money for the incredible vision you get. I recommend the 20 watt bulb, it's wide. The only other light system that I've seen that beats the performance of the Phantom is a Lupine product. But you are going to pay twice the money for those. Trust me, this is the light you want if you want the most bang for your buck. I am super pleased with it. I never realized how much fun I was missing by not having a light after DST. Now I am thinking about getting another one for my wife, because she doesn't know what she is missing.

Purchased At:   bikerbob.com

Similar Products Used:   Some other bar mount thing with 4 NiMH batteries....please, don't bother with something like that.

Bike Setup:   Giant VT3 with basic upgrades to be a fun, aggressive all mountain rider.

Submitted by Jelly Belly a Cross Country Rider from Delaware

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2006

Strengths:    I have the 20w bulb and have found nothing brighter. It charges quickly and in 3 years I have not had one problem with this system.

Weaknesses:    You can't get anything better. Being a typical guy and always wanting new toys I called Jim at jetlites tonight. I asked him about his new hid's and bar lights. Basically other than burn time there was no improvement to the system I have! Nothing brighter or stronger!

Bottom Line:
    Get this system. Get the 20w bulb. Maybe splurge on the switch that lowers the wattage so you get longer burn time. Your a fool if you think you can out think all these people with their great reviews and get something better. Don't skip the best light system out there.

Favorite Trail:   Middle run

Purchased At:   universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   nite rider = junk. Lasted a qtr mile on first ride

Bike Setup:   2004 Super light. Best bike ever

Submitted by Jonas a Racer from Oxford, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    ez to use and charge

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
    great light, got it quick going with bikerbobs shop, nice and simple to do biz with.

Purchased At:   Bikerbob.com

Bike Setup:   trek 9.8 w/ shram XO

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from NC

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2006

Strengths:    very light, easy to adjust on the fly, and plenty bright.

Weaknesses:    for the price not really any. The intruction manual kind of stinks (most do) but it is so simple to use and set up you really can't go wrong.

Bottom Line:
    MUCH lighter than my old Storm and plenty bright for riding singletrack. Also, this light mounts to your helmet easily and can be adjusted as you ride (coudln't do that with the Storm - it weighed down the front of my helmet)and the pivots points feel tight and durable. The light charges up quickly and is easy to use. Jet didn't over-do it with this light, they just did it right! Truly does deserve 5 chilis in each category.

Purchased At:   online