JetLites Phantom Single Beam w- Smart Switch Lights

4.4/5 (15 Reviews)

Features:
3-light level electronic smart switch, 12w light is ideal for most riding conditions or commuting, 20w light is ideal for technical off road terrain or for those users who want HID brightness at a more affordable price, 13.2v 3800 mah NiMH canister battery with IP-68 rated thread lock connector, aim-as-you-ride helmet mount with safety breakaway, and 5 hr fast charger.

Submitted by a_damn a Cross Country Rider from VA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    awesome

Weaknesses:    weight?

Bottom Line:
by now there are lighter battery packs on the market, but none have the sturdiness of this kit, WITH battery gauge. the light can be easily mounted on either helmet or bar and changed very quickly. the amount of light put out by either 12w spot or 25w flood is amazing. all metal bar mount will not break easily, unlike plastic clips and rubber bands of other brands. customer support is top notch - i needed a shim 3 years later and they shipped it to me for free. i wouldn't bother looking at any other light brand.

Purchased At:   mpgear

Submitted by cmartin a Cross Country Rider from Pocatello, ID.

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2008

Strengths:    Quality of construction, great value.

Bottom Line:
I have had this light for 3 years and use it nightly on my commute to work. This light just works period. I have never had a single problem at all. What more could you ask for in any product. Stop looking and buy a Jet light.

Purchased At:   Jet Lights

Submitted by Eric Deore (like XT only not as good) from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2007

Strengths:    Awesome design, great re-charge, durable construction, precise electrical connection, great helmet mount, etc, etc.

Weaknesses:    The Halogen bulb gets hot but the same is true for and Halogen light

Bottom Line:
I am a rider/racer/trail volunteer living in Miami, FL and I wanted to give mad props for this product.

I originally bought the light last year for (race promoter) Gone Riding's January 12 hours of Oleta which served myself and my teamate well.

Since then I have been granted permission to hold monthly night rides at Miami's Oleta River State Park, and have seen the various problems with every other light but folks who use Jet lites. We have been caught in huge tropical storms with high winds and torrential rain and the light still works great. Even though in Miami, our trails at Oleta are some of the most technical, twisty, rooty/rocky trails that punish equiptment

The big thing that stands out is that the owner of Jet Lites is involved with the operation so closely which seems to make all the difference (he answers the phone and Emails).

Favorite Trail:   Razorback (rip)

Similar Products Used:   Night rider

Bike Setup:   2005 Super Heckler-Halloween powdercoat,Raceface cranks,2.3 Tioga tires, Hope Hubs, 2008 Fox TALAS R 32, Shimano XTR

Submitted by VooDooGuy from Scottsdale, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2007

Strengths:    Sturdy, powerful beam, smart switch, lights up where I turn my head, can see road conditions and debris very well

Weaknesses:    cost, weight- but worth every penny and ounce!

Bottom Line:
Used on my road bike and this thing is great. Tried all three light intensities and they all work well. I could see road conditions w/o difficulty. Although the power cord was not in the way, I could see how it can flop over. I'll probably try a Velcro tie of some sort to route the wire. I'm very impressed and am grateful I didn't have to go through a bunch of other lights to learn this is the one.

Purchased At:   http://www.universalcycles.com/

Similar Products Used:   the sun

Bike Setup:   two wheeels

Submitted by Greg Hughes a Cross Country Rider from Irving, Texas

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    Very bright. Great color. It really lights the trail, and the battery lasts for quite a while. The components used to build the light are of high quality and quite durable

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I highly recommend this product. The quality is excellent.

Favorite Trail:   Tyler State Park

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Don't remember the name, it was a loaner, but it was color of the light was too yellow and was not very bright.

Bike Setup:   2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Submitted by jay mall a Weekend Warrior from fort worth,tx

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2007

Strengths:    Built for rider's, by a rider.
Fast Charge
Rugged construction
GREAT customer service.
Bright light, even at the lowest setting.
Low peripheral vision loss.
Great for trail and road.

Weaknesses:    None so far.......

Bottom Line:
Long Lasting Battery, easy to use, can mount on handle or helmet, the width of the lighting pattern reduces tunnel vision and doesn't seem to effect peripheral vision.
I have 3 friends that bought this light after I let them use mine. They said this light was superior to any light system they had used before. Since this is the only system I have used and will use I cannot compare to others. This is a well built and great priced product. I recommend this to anybody.

Favorite Trail:   anyone that casues the BURN.

Purchased At:   jet lites

Similar Products Used:   n/a, when I did my research this was the obvious answer.

Bike Setup:   Kona, kikapu Deluxe.

Submitted by Norman Black a Weekend Warrior from Thousand Oaks, CA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2006

Strengths:    Quality of light. Robust connectors. Aim on the fly light head. Very smart charger.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I have the 20W beam with smart switch (15 and 10W settings). The beam pattern is nice and wide and smooth and not harsh (over bright). The 15W setting is very useful. The 10W setting is a bit dingy but good for slow climbs to conserve battery power. The ability to aim the light head on the fly is a nice feature you may not consider until you can do so. The friction does hold the light head on rough trails. You may have to tighten the friction adjustment from the factory delivered setting. The HID light on the head is a bit too spotty and harsh (over bright) for my taste. It can wash our terrain features. Never the case with the halogen. Runtime is 1:30 at full brightness and drops to 50% intensity by 2hrs. I mostly run at 15W (10W on slow climbs) and only use 20W on fast descents or very tech stuff. I have a Jet bar light and helmet light setup. Value is down one due to price.

Purchased At:   Direct from Jet

Similar Products Used:   Jet HID

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Lac-Beauport, Québec, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    - Very powerful light (20w)
- Very nice flood patern for technical trails
- Light headlamp that you don't feel on the helmet
- Smart Switch is a must : 10-15-20 watts to modulate your power & increase battery life for a 3 hrs ride at night

Weaknesses:    - Expensive for a halogen light ??? (but well worth it)

Bottom Line:
OK, I have just been using this lamp for less than a month but I can tell you that this IS the lamp. I don't agree with another reviewer that the peripheral vision is not important. When you ride on technical donwhill you need the flood patern this light provide. It is not like commuting on well paved roads. Performance wise, the light is bright and powerful and last at least 2 hours depending on the power output you use. Yes the battery is a bit heavy, but what did you expect ? I put it in the very bottom of my Camelback and that's it. I wanted to buy an HID light at first, but after reading strong reviews for Jet Lites products (and bad ones for NiteRider) and seeing the kind of light a Topeak Moonshine HID provide, my choice was clear. If you read carefully the minimalistic owner manual and apply the advice mentionned there, I don't see why you would have problem with this product. If you want a light that will not let you down, and that will turn your riding partners jealous, buy this one with the Smart switch.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle

Similar Products Used:   - None

Bike Setup:   Enduro 03 all beefed up

Submitted by Joel a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2006

Strengths:    Clean, bright white light while first charged.
Reliable cable connection system.
Plenty of room for growth for the amateur looking to move up.

Weaknesses:    Light quality decreases significantly after the first 1.5 hours.
Gasket used to seal lamp housing does not completely seal the housing (either the gasket needs to be thicker, or the house needs to be molded to higher tolerances so there is no warping of the plastic).
Weight of battery.
Not a Li-Ion battery.
Price.

Bottom Line:
The 20w bulb is overkill for straight and flat trails (the added peripheral vision isn't needed). The amount of light provided by this bulb is ample enough to allow the amateur night rider plenty of room for growth before needing a more powerful light.

I'm not positive, but I believe the battery used by this lamp will work with the HID lamp that JetLites makes. If this is in fact the case, then an amateur ride could buy into this system and then upgrade to the HID for approx. $135 MSRP.

You can read more about my experiences with this lamp at http://joelsommer.com/tags/jetlite/default.aspx

Submitted by Mike Callahan a Cross Country Rider from Kings Beach, Ca.

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Strengths:    Solid screw together connection. No flickering and blackouts like the Night Sun. Pivot would not stay steady at first but is easy to tighten on the light with a tiny allen wrench.

Weaknesses:    Fuel gauge never worked. Velcro straps did not fit my helmet. I mounted it on an old helmet with zip ties.

Bottom Line:
This light has been great so far. It is well built and does not weigh heavily on the helmet. The only complaint is that I paid more to have the fuel gauge and it never worked. I talked to the owner just after I bought it and complained about the fuel gauge and he said he would get back to me when the new ones that worked came in. He said there was a bad batch of batteries with faulty fuel gauges. I wanted the fuel gauge because I use the light to skijor at night with. I also use it on rough singletrack trails on my bike. I often am out for hours going at high speeds. I need a light that is bright on the descents because I am often on marginal trails. The gauge I thought would be nice because I would know how much run time I had left. The owner never did reply back. Now I am going into my second winter with an older battery and I am not very confident.
I have used Night Sun lights before and they were awful. The connection was a bad design and I would often experience flickering and blackouts at high speed. That was very unsettling. The customer service was also surly and personally insulting.
The ratings are low because the customer service dropped the ball and because of the faulty fuel gauge.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Jet Lites

Similar Products Used:   Night Sun.

Bike Setup:   XC bike Stumpy hardtail

Submitted by Phil C a Racer from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2006

Strengths:    Decent light, not as bright as a HID Could be good for commuting and non-race environments.

Weaknesses:    Not an HID, customer service from Jet.

Bottom Line:
We rented these lights from Jet for an overnight race. They seemed to work OK, but got washed out by HID's, and we had multiple equipment problems with this system. They don't mention that the batteries may not be charged when you get them. We checked and charged the 3 systems before the race. Then a battery failed during one of our teams laps. I ride a good bit at night in the winter on the MTB with different lights, and have never seen the amount of equipment problems we had with this bunch.

We talked to Jet about the battery going dead and were told by Jim (supposedly one of the owners) in tone and words: "You're an idiot and we don't charge the batteries before they go out. You didn't charge the battery." This could have been handled much better. I don't know for sure that we didn't mix up some of the batteries, but the tone sure doesn't make me want to keep him in business. Good luck Jet, I won't be buying a single thing from this company.

Favorite Trail:   Government Trail- Aspen

Purchased At:   Jet lites

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider, Light and Motion, Sigma.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element XTR w/Chris King wheels from Dave Thomas.

Submitted by Robert G. a Cross Country Rider from San Antonio, Texas!

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2006

Strengths:    Works well. Seems quality built. No malfunctions of any kind. Like the connections and the smart charger. Three light levels allows matching the battery life to the ride or the terrain.

Weaknesses:    Would like the wire to exit the light at the back instead of the side since it is a helemet mount. I have to tie it down in the rear or it drives me nuts.

Bottom Line:
One thing that influenced me was the high rating here, and the fact that I got a great price from Universal Cycles. Works well with no problems. For trail riding, helmet-mounted lights are the way to go. If I could afford it, I would mount one on the handlebars too for lighting at a different angle. I would get one again if needed.

Favorite Trail:   Leon Creek Greenbelt

Purchased At:   Quality Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cheap commuter stuff.

Bike Setup:   Sure is.

Submitted by Bob from North Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Strengths:    Intense, bright light, large illumination beam

Weaknesses:    None - other than a longer (8-10 hour) burn time would be nice to have.

Bottom Line:
I use the Phantom Single beam light while night hiking the local trails throughout the year. The light is mounted on a headband with the battery stored in the top pouch of my backpack. The light has greatly exceeded my expectations. The brightness of the light coupled with the beam pattern makes this light well suited for lighting the trails. Many times I have had to help people who do not have any lights with them and are caught by dark while hiking. People who encountered me wearing the light at night have commented that it is like having a sudden sun burst hit them. During the winter months I use the light while partaking in night snowshoe clinics on the local mountains. The guides and many of the participants in the clinics are amazed at how much light the headlamp tosses. It has been very handy when ascending and descending the steeper parts of the trails and one needs lots of light to safely navigate the trickier sections of the trails.
This light makes all other headlamps pale by comparison.

Similar Products Used:   regular LED headlamps

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Columbia, Md. USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2005

Strengths:    EVERYTHING WORKS, great design, bright clean white light.

Weaknesses:    The NiMH battery is somewhat heavy.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the version with the 13w spot beam. ( a 20w flood is also available )Compared to the Niterider 10W the Jet has a much brighter light and a wider beam. The helmet mount is well made, the best I've ever seen and the lighthead tilts which allows you to aim the beam just where you want. I was also pleased with the smart-switch on the Jet. It is totally self-contained within the lighthead and works very easily. All three of the light levels are usable although dimmer. There is no "yellowing" on the lower levels, just dimmer light. Connectors work great (they screw together!) The smart charger works great. All the run-times are as advertised. Now if Jet could only sell this with a lighter weigh battery they could corner the market on halogen lights! (However the 13.2V NiMH battery works great and can be used/converted with the newer Jet HID lighthead.)I dropped the value rating a bit because they have raised their price for this model. I've used this light on the toughest east coast single track and it rules.

Purchased At:   Mt. Plus