JetLites Dual Beam Halogen Lights

4.92/5 (37 Reviews)

JET Lites Dual Beam

Submitted by Alex Do a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2004

Strengths:    really bright lights similar to xenon lights. The low beam is wide but still reach far ahead on trail. High beam is quite far but not narrow as turbocat or niterider. High beam is wide enough that I donn't develop tunnel vision while riding at night.waterproofness of case, good electrical cables.much cheaper than nite rider, turbocat etc. I am from Canada. With the price of product and shipping fee, the final cost is about $400.00 Cdn clams. It sounds expensive compared to regular commuter lights but it is much more durable and less expensive than all other rechargable lights. it is more expensive than nite hawk version of Cdn light. However, I found nite hawk battery was even heavier. Nite hawk handlebar mount was not as good as jetlites. I had to decided to get jetlites after considering all factors. I saved up money to buy it. I also got the helmet version too. I will buy the new starfire helmet soon.

Weaknesses:    heavy,heavy battery water bottle style. High beam lasted only 1.5hr. It was the pinnacle of light technology at that time. Nite rider battery last same time as jetlites.

Bottom Line:
cost effective compared to fancy xenon lights. For godsake people, it is already too bright. You don't need xenon light like nite rider. Besides the blueish color of xenon light cause distortion in your night vision when riding a bike. It is difficult to explain in this small paragraph. trust me on this. This is a mtb lights not your car headlights.I give 4chilli because battery weight was heavy and battery time was not as long as I like

Favorite Trail:   hardwood

Purchased At:   manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   nite rider, nite hawk for test ride.

Bike Setup:   2000 specialized rockhopper hardtail,stock seat tube, no name high end gel saddle I got from MEC, raceface forge crankset,slime bb.raceface handlebar, shimano LX brakeset and levers. Mavic 517 wheelset. This wheel set is suitable for light riders. DO NOT use it if rider is over 130lbs.My bike rocks. it is light.

Submitted by Pete Nacy a Weekend Warrior from Jefferson City

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    I love the lights I purchased last year. They’re the single best bike product I’ve used. I mean to say, sometimes I’ll ride at 2:00 am if only because I CAN; however, mostly I ride at 4:30 am to avoid the heat or to avoid conflicts with work. I can’t rave enough and I hope the company prospers.

Bottom Line:
You can ride at any time after dark with these lights because you can SEE everything.

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Merckx Century TSX road

Submitted by BCP Love to Ride at Night a Weekend Warrior from Lake Oswego, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Great lighting and lasts long enough I don't need to worry. Don't have to worry about keeping track of charging - the unit automatically determines the level of charge needed. Can get enough light with one light but often I'll use both to get the extra light when I'm not going over 2hours. Attaches easily.

Weaknesses:    I wish I didn't have to use one of my water bottle holders to hold the battery.

Bottom Line:
I'd buy this light again. I love this light. Compared to the others I've used - this light takes away all my worries. I don't have to worry about charging a certain amount of time and not longer and I don't have to worry about the light running out in the middle of the trail. I've had both of those problems with previous lights. I ride almost exclusively at night a couple times a week so a good light is important and this one is it!

Favorite Trail:   Surveyors Ridge Mtn and Mt Rainier for Road

Purchased At:   Universal Cycle Portland OR

Similar Products Used:   Cygo and Nightrider.

Bike Setup:   Trek 2300 - This year is the year to get a new bike....

Submitted by Dan a Racer from Santa Cruz, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2002

Strengths:    Very Very bright,supeior customer service, mounting options,Battery type (NMHI), switch on bars and lights, 5 hours quick charge

Weaknesses:    There are none because their customer support gose beyond ANY COMPANY I have ever dealed with in my life.

Bottom Line:
BUY ONE TODAY,GO RIDE TONIGHT,This is far the best light on the market available to the general public unless you work for nasa you cant find a better light, lights up the blackest of night so I can do daytime speeds on fast singletracks, Rides down from the top of the world are a blast with this light, I have not tried it in the rain but I am extreamly confident because james (jet lites) told me they put them on the floor in the shower, and on the roof in the rain just to see what they will do and he said it work as if it was dry. I am very impressed, comparing it to the cyco-lite its a difference between day and night.

Favorite Trail:   east and west of twingates

Purchased At:   Jet Lites (831)458-5001

Similar Products Used:   Cygo-lite 6 volt 10/6 watt (nicad)

Bike Setup:   2000 GT Backwoods, Manotou Mars Comp Coil (80mm),KORE Strictly D Bars, Lx crank, Xt disc hubs on WTB laserdisc DH 36mm rims, Xt Derailers and shifters, Avid CPS mech. disc brakes, Panaracer Fire xc pro 2.1

Submitted by Tim Olson a Racer from San Mateo

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to the review I wrote 2 years ago after I first got this light set. These were some of the first lights that JET produced, with the old style NiCad batteries, old connectors, old mounts, and old housings. I damaged the cords and one of the batteries, but I had them repair it and their customer service was awesome. I also bought a single beam 12 watt helmet light to go with the dual handlebar setup, and it really is much more light than is necessary to ride in any of the conditions I've encountered. A single 12 watt JET light is adequate on either the bar or the helmet, and a 20 watt added to it is just luxury because the beam is so bright and wide. That said, I think the ideal setup is to have a 12 watt single beam with battery and a 20 watt single beam with battery, and put them wherever you want; both on the bars, one on the helmet and one on the bars, or even both on the head (which I wouldn't do because I ride in a lot of fog and rain and occasional dust).

Purchased At:   BSB in Half Moon Bay

Submitted by MIKE ERBE a Racer from SANTA CRUZ , CA USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2000

Strengths:    I am a heavy user of the JET system. In addition to my daily commutes in Santa Cruz, CA, I also have competed in several 24 HR mountain bike races. I believe that the JET is a great system, significantly better than the Night Rider that I previously used.
The JET system has given me over 2 years of flawless performance and typically, I only need the 20 watt light, even in the rain.
I am very impressed with the durability of the system. It has been drenched repeatedly on the commutes as well as being banged around on night mountain bike rides.
The modular configuration permits me to easily configure it for the commute (single beam) or an MB ride. (dual beam)
In the winter months, it seems as if I am commuting both to and from work in the dark. With the 20 watt single beam mounted on my helmet, I know that not only can I see well, but that I am very visible to automobile drivers.
I recommend this system and feel that it is by far, the best I have used.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
The best system that I have seen on the market.

Favorite Trail:   GRAY WHALE

Similar Products Used:   NIGHTRIDER

Bike Setup:   HELMET MOUNTED, FOR BOTH COMMUTINGT AND MOUNTAIN BIKING

Submitted by J-F a Cross Country Rider from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2000

Strengths:    Very, very bright light system. Modular light system, so you can start with a single beam and add on to it later.

Weaknesses:    The holding bracket released itself a couple of times while riding.

Bottom Line:
Excellent and very bright light system. The price tag is very reasonnable when compared to similar dual beam system. I travel to work 3 to 4 times per week and have unpredictable hours. My biggest fear on the road is to be hit by a car in the middle of the night. I have not been ignored yet by any cars while flashing 32W at them. If you are uncertain wheither you want a dual or single beam system, this modular light system is your best choice because you can add on to it easily.

Submitted by Jesse a Cross Country Rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2000

Strengths:    super wide, bright beam pattern, light weight, good burn time, great customer support, durable construction

Weaknesses:    only one: helmet mount seems just a bit mushy--tends to bounce around at higher speeds. maybe a result of the elastic section of the mounting strap stretching out over time? overrall, no big deal.

Bottom Line:
Having just completed the 24 Hours of Great Glen, I can say that the JetLites' performance was flawless. At 12 watts, everything that was ridable during the day was ridable at night. At 20 watts, I could keep one eye closed. (I never even tried 32 watts.)

Also, as everyone seems to note, the customer support is excellent. With 3 days notice and for a paltry 20 clams, Jim at JetLites sent two batteries and a quick charger for the weekend, thereby removing any concerns for our team about running out of juice. I saw several teams with light failures, but not a sinlge one was using JetLites. Another rider I spoke to was told by one of the bigger light companies that they were too busy to send any support to this event and that ALL of their extra batteries and chargers were going somewhere else for the weekend.

Bottom line is that JetLites are worth every penny you spend on them. I'll take a small company with great products and support over a big name company any time. If your choice is between the JetLites and something less expensive, eat mac & cheese for two weeks and spend the money for JetLites.

Similar Products Used:   limited experience with Nite Rider products

Submitted by Keith a Weekend Warrior from WV

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2000

Strengths:    Bright Light, Durability, Product Support,

Weaknesses:    Need some kind of smart charger for the battery, understand from Jim that this is forthcoming.

Bottom Line:
IMHO this is the best light available. Extremely satisfied with the product and its operation. Product support is excellent. Had a problem with the cable running to the battery, called Jim and he talked me through the problem and sent me a replacement completely free of charge quickly. Great, great service. No wonder that the customers love the lights and the company. If you read the reviews one thing stands out and that is the tremendous customer loyalty. Once you use this product and work with this company you'll understand why. Couldn't go wrong with this product

Bike Setup:   Stock DBR-X2

Submitted by Allen Shaw a Cross Country Rider from Camp Connell

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight...long run times...VERY Bright....super design

Bottom Line:
It'[s the best lights going bar none....we just raced the 24 hrs of Adrenalin.we won our class doing 28 laps..only slowed downed by 3 mins. at nite..thats awesome light power.....If you don't have JETT Lights your not with it .....Get JETT & win......

Favorite Trail:   Top of the World

Similar Products Used:   Vista.....

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlite.XTR & Sram 9.0sl..Sid SL...Fox R/C float.....Sun Ringle lite wheels..23 lbs

Submitted by Eric Warkentin a Racer from San Jose, CA USA

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2000

Strengths:    Jet Lites are extremely bright, light weight and durable lighting systems. In addition to their high performance, Jet Lites also have a sleek design that is pleasing to the eye. Their customer service is outstanding.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I've been using Jet Lites for over a year for 24 hour mtn bike racing and 24 hour adventure racing. As a solo racer, a high degree of reliability in a lighting system is crucial. The lights are brighter than most, if not all others on the market and their modular design makes it a breeze to switch between single and dual beams and from a handlebar mount to a helmet mount. I just recently competed in a 100 mile mtn bike race in Alaska (2/00) and owe my success to the Jet lighting system, which worked flawlessly in less than ideal conditions. The batteries are powerful, light weight and have a long run time. This system gets my highest rating for being robust, compact and reliable.

Similar Products Used:   Night Sun and NiteRider

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works FSR XC

Submitted by Evan Hollander a Racer from Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2000

Strengths:    Power to weight ratio, durability, customer support

Weaknesses:    Racoons are scared as hell of them. They just freeze and don't get out of your way. Make a good bunnyhopping opportunity though, so really not a weakness.

Bottom Line:
I have used these lights for some solo trail riding and were quite pleased with the brightness and burn time. I Just completed my first 12 hour race and got to see alot of other systems outputs and did not realize just how WHITE the Jets are in comparison. The 20W (flood)solo will outperform any other manufacturers dual beam hands down. Pair that with the 12W (spot) and nothing short of the sun itself will throw light like that. Luckily, I cannot report on the crashworthiness of these but all reviews below will attest for the durability. If I had to rebuy, I would not consider anything else...They may be just a bit on the pricey side but, as with everything else in this world "you get what you pay for". After you crack into a tree wearing those 6V yellowed out discount specials, you will know what I mean.

Favorite Trail:   Killington, VT

Similar Products Used:   Niterider

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-Pro Issue, Marzocchi Z-2 Bam, RaceFace, Spinergy Spox, XTR Drivetrain,

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from LaFayette, NY

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, extremely bright, customer service, THE MOUNT

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
This is a revisit of my first review (see below). Shortly after posting my review, JET got in touch with me a let me know that they released a new mount design into production shortly after I got my lights. They explained the differences in the designs and expressed a genuine concern that I wasnt completely satisfied with their product (4 out of 5 chiles isn't BAD, though!!). Anyway, I bought the new mount and was very impressed when it arrived. The design is totally bulletproof, where before they were relying on the tension of a thin plastic prong and a weak snap fit to keep the lights secured they now have a (difficult to describe adequately) sliding lock which firmly traps the light to the mount. Even better, they added the ability to aim the light side to side and the angle and reach of the new mount keeps the lights out of the way of my Hope brake lines and fluid reservior. Much, much better design and a refreshing additude toward customer satisfaction. JET is tops in my book!

Favorite Trail:   Gore Mt.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Super V 2000 Freeride

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from LaFayette, NY, Onondaga

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight and bright.

Weaknesses:    The mounting system.

Bottom Line:
I completely agree that these lights are incredibly bright and light weight. Its really unbelievable how much light those little suckers put out, I even use the lights for night time snow shoeing!! However, i like to ride technical single track and these lights will allow you to ride it fast..probably as fast as you can ride in the daylight. Several times Ive had problems with the lights falling off the mount from the "vibrations" that come from my 4" travel dual crown fork. I had to resort to using some Tie Straps to keep them on. I once lost one light on a long downhill and had to walk around for an hour to find it with the one light I had left. Four chilles because of the mount troubles.

Favorite Trail:   Gore Mt.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale SV 2000 Freeride

Submitted by Dirk Macfarlane a Racer from Alexandria, VA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, durable, bright white light

Bottom Line:
These lights are super light and extremely durable. I wear the dual beam on my helmet and it feels lighter than my nite rider digital head trip. These lights are indestructable! At an adventure race this summer our support Suburban backed over one of my Jet's. I thought for sure that it was over for that light but noooo, it just wouldn't die! I replaced the crushed bulb and straightened out the plastic and it works like a champ, I still use it everyday on my commutes to work and at races. YOU CAN NOT BEAT THIS LIGHT!!!!!!