JetLites Blast HID Lights

• 13w/680 Lumens HID Light & Ballast
  • 4.8 oz. (130g) Light Head
  • Dimensions: 3.5" x 1.75" x 1.70"
  • Beam color: 5600k/White
  • LiPoly 3200 Battery: 3 Hours

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Re21Agent a Cross Country Rider from Kingston, PA USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2010

Strengths:    I am writing this post because of the experience I have had with this light system. First Let Me State That It Is A Great Light! Have used it for 2 years and it is as bright as most of the new models on the market. I had a battery issue and the customer service is awesome and it’s nice to get to talk to the owners of the company if there is a problem. I recommend this light to anyone looking to upgrade their current lighting system or start night riding.

Favorite Trail:   Moon Lake

Purchased At:   From Jet

Similar Products Used:   Night Rider, Lupine, ayup, and others

Bike Setup:   Ventana Custom EL Ray

Submitted by Bodybag a Racer from Brea, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2010

Strengths:    Battery Life, Brightness, Versatility

Weaknesses:    I don't concern myself with weight on 'Add-On/Temporary' accessories... So no weakness IMO.

Bottom Line:
    I switched to this light after reading reviews here at MTBR (I was using NiteRider products). I was interested in something that had a long and consistent battery life without sacrificing brightness for my 24 hour endurance events. Jet Lights DELIVER!!!

1. The battery lasts AT LEAST 3 hours.
    2. The customer service from the guys at JET is nothing less than outstanding. I had my first battery start losing life (got down to 2hrs 40min) after 2 seasons and they shipped me a new battery at NO CHARGE even though it was beyond warranty.
    3. This thing is freakin' BRIGHT! One light can light the trail for multiple riders if necessary. Additionally, the shape and color of the light is spot on. Forward light is strong, and peripheral light is excellent at the same time.

One other thing, JET rents extra batteries if you need more than one. This has been very helpful for overnight rides where I've had to ride in 6-7 hours of complete darkness. Once again, customer service in this area has been outstanding.

I have recommended this light to many of the guys I ride with and there are absolutely ZERO complaints from the guys that took my advice and bought JET.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in So.Cal.

Purchased At:   JetLights

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider MiNewt and NiteRider Pro.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy, Santa Cruz Blur, Giant NRS

Submitted by asanathema a Cross Country Rider from Cumberland, MD

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    Should have purchased direct. But once I got it it's a nice little portable sun. Battery life is pretty good, I'll use it for an hour here or there, and it usually lasts for a good two hours after. Haven't done any major riding at night to get full run time but on a full charge at least two hours.

Weaknesses:    Battery size but.....that's okay it goes into the backpack. Probably I could have gotten a handle bar clip directly but would then have no way to mount the battery to the frame.

Bottom Line:
    I'd buy from them direct in the future. I'd like to check out some of the other names but if this one broke tomorrow and I had the cash I'd buy it again.

Favorite Trail:   fort ord......

Purchased At:   some online company

Similar Products Used:   1st HID.

Bike Setup:   Custom painted Specialized Epic Expert.

Submitted by albertclew a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    Brightness
    Good beam pattern
    Excellent battery charging system

Weaknesses:    Battery is heavy - but JetLites offers a lighter battery if you're concerned about weight.

Bottom Line:
    I am very impressed by JetLites on multiple fronts.

First, the battery. I have been very unimpressed with the battery charging systems from other companies such as NightSun and NiteRider. The batteries seem to wear out quickly, don't have great run time, etc. etc. JetLites has a great charging system.

Second, the light. I really like the beam pattern, and it is bright, and the light switch is durable and works consistently. Amazingly, other companies cannot seem to get this right. The helmet mount is infinitely adjustable in angle, which I really like, and can be done on the fly while riding. Very nice.

Third, durability. I have crashed with the headlamp a few times and it holds up just great. The breakaway helmet mount is genius.

Finally, they have great customer service. It is always a pleasure to speak to JetLites, and they have been very helpful and friendly. They are coming out with a new 1000 lumen upgrade to the Blast HID. I will review it when mine arrives!

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker

Purchased At:   Jetlites

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider Trail rat halogen helmet mount
    Night Sun dual bulb halogen handlebar mount

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth
    Dean Ti Hardtail
    Ibis Mojo SL

Submitted by putmeincoach! a Cross Country Rider from Brampton

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2008

Strengths:    super bright, durable, awesome customer service.

Weaknesses:    sometimes too bright, battery weight and lamp heat

Bottom Line:
    I started using this product as a rental a few years back. Decided to use this based on MTBR recommendation. For 3 years running, this light is awesome. I can't say much for the durability since I've never given it much of a thrashing. There have been spills but nothing hard against the light. The light does tend to get pretty hot but I think that comes with the HID territory. LEDs are obviously cooler but they don't seem to be as bright or wide (based on limited experience). The battery weight is an issue but with the new Lithium Ion technology available, this should sort out issues with the weight (at a cost, sadly...super expensive).

Until now, I've never had a technical issue with it. I'm sending it in for service and after speaking to the JET lites guys, it seems it could be a ballistics issue. Anyhow, these guys ROCK! They've taken care of me and will sort out all my problems.

I would recommend this product for people who do a lot of night riding (road or XC). For road, there's no issue whatsoever. For XC, it takes a bit of adjustment of the light angle. If it's too sharp to the ground, it'll wash out the contour of the terrain...can be dangerous if the section is rooty, rocky, etc. However, it's definitely the brightest thing out there.

I'm giving 4.5 chillis for the value eventhough 4 or 5 is the only option. 1/2 point knock against local service. I wish there was some Canadian support center for their product. Seems like a lot of us Canucks tend use JET lites. Also, it's pricey to get the stuff up here in a hurry from the US if you're in a bind.

Overall, this product is the WICKED! Their customer service is unbelievable. They're prompt on returning phone calls and sorting out any issues. Oh...they also stand by their product! That alone deserves 5 freakin' chillis! And, if you want to be seen at night and blind other riders :), get JET.

Favorite Trail:   Albion Hills

Similar Products Used:   Princeton Tec Switchback 2 and 3

Submitted by Edward Chan a Cross Country Rider from Toronto/North York/Canada

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2008

Strengths:    Very bright light. Has a good beem spread so you can aim it up a little to see in the distance and still be able to see right in front of you.
    Quality is excellent.
    But James Taylor not make again

Weaknesses:    $$$ but you get what you pay for in this case

Bottom Line:
    I try Jets light and Light motion. But I like Jets light more.
    After some research, Jet Lites seemed like it had the best illumination and a very durable system (plus great customer system). After owning for about a month and getting a couple of rides under my belt, they have surpassed all my expectations. The illumination is stellar... better than the systems my friends own. Maybe a perfect match of price, performance, and durability. I will definitely recommend to anyone!

Favorite Trail:   Durham

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Other Jet lites

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 120

Submitted by Steve Hall a Cross Country Rider from Cypress, Ca. USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2008

Strengths:    Bright and simplicity. I called 2 weeks ago to JET and spoke with Jim (owner) and he recommended the Blast HID for my riding. I charged the light over night with no worries and turned it on the next night. I will probably get high beamed from on coming cars :) Thanks Jim

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    The best! I will give another review in a few months.

Favorite Trail:   marshall canyon

Purchased At:   JET Lites

Similar Products Used:   little LED helmet light

Bike Setup:   2006 stumpjumper, Magura Julie Brakes.

Submitted by Richard Eckert from Waikoloa, Hawaii

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2008

Strengths:    Very bright output. Easy to set up and very easy to charge the batteries. Excellent customer service from Jim, the owner, at Jet Lites. Comes with rubber spacers for regular and oversize bars. Options for battery style and light setup (bars or helmet)

Weaknesses:    After one year I have to say that I cannot find any faults with this product. I did mention before that the battery did not have an auto shutoff before critical drainage but that has been a non-factor.

Bottom Line:
    I have ridden every other night for the last three months and love my Jet Lites. I run the HID Blast on my helmet and a Jet Lites Starfire Halogen on the bars. The Blast lights up the scenery so I can see the lay of the trail far ahead and the halogen on the bars is focused more in front of the tire to get better shadowing, or depth perception, on trail obstacles. I work a lot and only have time to ride after 8:30 pm. The reliability of these lights has kept me on the trail for a year. I did drop my HID (twice in a row on concrete) and the bulb broke. I decided to send my light back to Jim to have him inspect it rather than just having him ship a new bulb. The turn around time was one week.
    I also lost a switch cover on another light(leaned the bike against barbed wire and after e-mailing Jim I received another switch cover) in the mail about a week later, free of charge.
    My only regret in buying the light is that I didn't know Jim was so cool otherwise I would have purchased from him directly to give him the business.
    I am a very tough consumer and expect to get my money's worth out of products I buy. that is why I check here first before making MTB purchases. I am totally satisfied with this product and recommend the product and the company to all of my fellow biking brethren here.

Purchased At:   universalcyles.com

Similar Products Used:   None, and will never buy from another company after dealing with Jet Lites.

Bike Setup:   O.S. carbon bars.

Submitted by Steve a Racer from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent light output, ease of setup, price, and customer service provided by Jet Lites! (They are the equivalent of John at Neuvation.)

Weaknesses:    Time will tell but right now I don't foresee any issues in the future.

Bottom Line:
    I researched and researched lights until I couldn't see anymore. This light is a perfect combination of product quality, doing what it says it will do, price and customer service. I would highly recommend looking into this light before purchasing as I don't believe you will be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   Jet Lites Direct

Similar Products Used:   Light & Motion Solo Logic

Submitted by David Hohensee a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2007

Strengths:    Top-notch customer service and outstanding trail illumination. Products also seem very durable but time will tell.

Weaknesses:    Charger seems a little chinzy and battery is awful heavy (could have opted for the Li-Ion but a lot more expensive).

Bottom Line:
    I bought these lights for an upcoming 24-hr race and bought knowing that I wanted a solid system but wouldn't likely be night riding every night. I planned on mounting an HID light on my helmet and supplementing that light with a fairly inexpensive set of lights on my bars (ended up buying an LED system). I didn't want to spend an 'arm-and-a-leg', so I opted for a NiMH battery (heavier, but less expensive than Li-Ion).

Favorite Trail:   Aldefer-3 Sisters

Purchased At:   Jet Lites

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider MiNewt

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, Fox RP3, Talas, Mavic Crossmax XL, King headset, Thomson post/stem, Easton MonkeyLite bar, XO shifter/rear derauiller, XT front derauiller, Terry Fly saddle, Avid Juicy 7's

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Luzerne, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2007

Strengths:    Very bright light with good run time. Lights up the trail plenty so you can see where you are going; the flood like beam this light produces allows you to keep some of your peripheral vision. Aiming is very easy with adjustment on the go a cinch. Decent 4.5 hr quick charge.

Weaknesses:    Helmet mount seems a bit chinsy. Break away feature seems nice but makes light sit high and a bit clunky on the helmet compared to other lights. Light itself is a little bit larger then others in its pricerange but does deliver more light so I guess there is a tradeoff.

Bottom Line:
    Great light for the money backed up by fantastic Customer Service - the level of service provided by the owner Jim when you call is a standout - goes above and beyond any reasonable expectation. So far, have not found another light that lights up the trails as good as the Jetlite -- even comparing to the higher pricetag systems in excess of $600. Bottom line: Buy this light and you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   Francis Slocum; various local

Purchased At:   Jetlites.com

Similar Products Used:   Niterider, Blackburn

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 2; Sram X9 triggers and rear derailleur, XTR front derailleur, XT crankset, Industry Nine All Mountain wheelset, juicy five, Rockshox fork and Fox shock

Submitted by Elliot a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Quality is excellent.
    Price is exceptional, something like this in Australia would be out of my budget.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet, and I don't expect to.

Bottom Line:
    After riding with a mate who had a phatom 20W I realised that my vista lights weren't cutting the mustard, so I made this purchase. I was only going to get the Phantom, but as the HID was on special I went for it. And I'm glad I did. this light is gold.
    Even on a cold night I am now itching to get home from work so as I can go out and ride.
    The service from Jet Lights is excellent and I got my lights from the States in about 4 days.

Favorite Trail:   Killingworth

- Great Pattern
    - Great Run Time
    - Excellent Service and Support

Weaknesses:    - Had an issue with the Ballast but was serviced very quickly

Bottom Line:
    Awesome Light with Excellet Support and Service

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   - NiteRider

Bike Setup:   - Kelly Single Speed

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Scottsdale AZ

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Lightweight, simple design (kiss philosophy), works well.
    I have the bar mounted light.

Weaknesses:    Only one and it's minor. I like to swivel my light left and right occasionally to flash cars pulling out of side streets, and sometime to light up wildlife on the side of the road. This can't be done with the current mount. I might swap out the mount for my Marwi light mount. Also a 6 degree option would be good. The standard bulb is about 30 degrees.

Bottom Line:
    Excellent light. Throws a large beam pretty far.
    I paid $325, worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Jetlites

Similar Products Used:   Marwi Pro 6 and 12 watt halogen, others.

Bike Setup:   Road bike.

Submitted by Don a Cross Country Rider from Auburn, CA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2007

Strengths:    I purchased this light directly from Jet at the $325.00 price with the helmet mount. He has reduced the price because the batteries have slightly less burn time. But 3 hours and 45 minutes is plenty for me. So far I have used the light on 3 rides without any issues. My point of reference is that I own an old Night Rider digital Pro12E and on a 24 hour race I used a Night Rider HID. Overall, the Jet works great and in my opinion has definite advantages. I have not crash tested it and have not ridden yet in rainy/harsh conditions, so my testing has been fairly easy on lights thus far.

ADVANTAGES:
    1. Excellent adjustment. This is huge because you can really dial it in for where you want to see down the trail. It is a friction adjustment with no clicks. Because it is supported in the middle, it does not move once adjusted. Furthermore you can adjust how tight it mounts to the point where it could be difficult to rotate. The Night rider has a crude adjustment which is a huge compromise in my opinion. The Lupine looks like it too uses an infinite friction adjustment that is very simple. Another advantage is that you can rotate it easily down to see if you need to work on a flat or rotate it way up so it doesn't get in someone's eyes when stopped.
    2. Excellent light output. It really lights up the trail well. 13W HID puts out good power. The Lupine beats it at 16W but the Lupine is $850 and change.
    3. Screw on connection. This is great. You can always use zip ties or carefully route with other designs but with this one you don't need to.
    4. Break away mount design. I hope this feature does not come in handy for me, but it is a nice touch.
    5. The mount is centered about the light. This is great because you do not have the light cantilevered out from the back like Night Rider does. I don't even feel this light on my helmet where the night rider during the 24 hour race made my neck sore. This is because of the fact that it needs to be mounted on the front of the helmet and then cantilevered out which puts more strain on your neck.
    6. I like the idea that you can talk to the owner. I feel like he would stand behind his product if I had any issues.

Weaknesses:    DIS-ADVANTAGES (Difficult for me to come up with some but everything can use improvements):
    1. Sits slightly taller on your helmet relative to Night Rider. This extra 1/2 inch height only comes into play if you are ducking under trees which has not been an issue with me. It lights so well that you see the tree coming and simply slow down. I would do that with any light on my helmet.
    2. It may be nice for some to have some indication of battery juice. On the other hand you simply turn it on and ride. With HID and the fact that it lasts for just under 4 hours makes it a non-issue for me. My night rides are typically well under 3 hours.
    3. The battery pack is a nice looking package but could be slightly smaller if shrink wrapped.
    4. Weight of Nickel Metal Hydrides is more than Lithium Ion. He is currently working on a Lithium Ion version of HID. This would be worth waiting for those that need the weight savings and are willing to pay the price. Which for the price corresponding to weight savings is worth it.

Bottom Line:
    This is an excellent product and deserves an excellent rating.

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt