JetLites Blast HID 1000 Lights

JET Lites is proud to offer this new H.I.D. light, boasting a class leading 1000 lumens. Who said H.I.D. is dead? This thing runs cooler and brighter, but burns just as long as before.

Available in helmet or bar mount options, with NiMH or 'state of the art' Li-Poly batteries.

Submitted by C Vineyard a Cross Country Rider from Sylvan Lake, MI

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2010

Strengths:    This is the brightest light i've ever seen. It's like riding with two cars beside you on the trail. The L-ion battery pack is fairly compact and light. The cable connection is tip notch with its threaded fitting. Adjustments on the fly are easy, although I've only used the helmet mount.

Bottom Line:
Stop looking and spend the money for this light, it is the best out there in my humble opinion. It was $450 because I upgraded to the L-ion battery and selected both mouning options. You can get it for about $130 cheaper with the other battery and only one mounting option. Either way it is worth the money.

Favorite Trail:   Pontiac Lake

Purchased At:   Jetlites.com

Similar Products Used:   Old (1998) Nite rider with a 15W halogen bulb. Sorry, I don't remember the exact model name and it has long since worn off of the light.

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Epic with head to toe XTR from various years, Fox Float RLC front forx.

Submitted by Henry Fischer a Cross Country Rider from Hood River, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2010

Strengths:    Incredibly bright light throws a long distance. The Li-Ion battery pack is relatively light and small enough (5" x 4" x 1.25" with a gently curved flask shape) to fit comfortably in a pocket or shirt-back pouch.

I got this as a Christmas present and have been using it ski touring. Then last night the lights went out on my sled far from the road. I pulled out the Blast 1000 and was blown away with the intensity and quality of the light. Better than the headlights... the sight distance actually improved with the ability to look and aim the light around corners. No way that I could out ride the light even on an 800cc sled. That is what prompted me to write this review.

Can't wait to use it on my bike once the snow melts.

Weaknesses:    The HID lamp requires air flow to cool the ballast... no big deal but you do need to pay attention. Don't hang out changing a tire with the lamp on! I heard that they are coming out with a fan cooled model.

Bottom Line:
Great balance of size, weight and light intensity. This is the only light I will ever need for night riding.

Favorite Trail:   Syncline

Purchased At:   Christmas present

Submitted by albertclew a Weekend Warrior from Winchester, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    While the original JetLites Blast HID was pretty nice a bright, the 1000 lumen upgrade makes a signficant difference. This light is capable of lighting up the entire trail, and at least here in New England, it is impossible to outrun this light on a fireroad.

I have the helmet mounted version, and this REALLY gets the attention of drivers. It has the double advantage of getting the driver's attention and temporarily blinding them, thereby allowing you ride on by before they have a chance to inflict any damage.

This light even works well in the rain. I found that compared to halogen lights whose light is washed out by rain, this light really illuminates the trail or road even when conditions are wet.

This light truly outshines other lights. My friends are not running high-end lighting systems, but when I ride behind them, this light completely drowns out two or three of their lights at a time if they overlap with the beam pattern of my light.

Weaknesses:    I have the "heavy" NiMH battery, and it is a tank is both size and weight. The battery weight somewhat defeats the purpose of having a 22 pounds 5.5" travel AM bike, and it cannot be slipped into a jersey pocket at all.

The light is a little on the "flat" side, meaning that trail obstacles appear less dangerous than they really are. This could be a product strength depending upon your perspective, but I am a somewhat conservative rider, so I'll count this as a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Jetlites customer service is incredible. I dealt with the owner when upgrading my regular Blast HID to the 1000 lumen version, and they were very friendly and helpful throughout the whole process. They also provided excellent advice during my initial purchase about the pros and cons of halogen versus HID without trying to sell me the higher priced HID version. It may seem to be a pain at first that you cannot just click and order, but the consultative sales process they force upon each customer really ends up delivering the right light to the customer.

The product itself is just as good. I've had mine for about a year, and it is incredibly reliable, super bright, and the battery life as far as I can tell is better than advertised. The beam pattern on the light is outstanding and really provides a wide enough beam to allow me to ride tight New England singletrack as fast at night as during the day.

The version of the Blast I have does not have fancy features such as a battery gauge, different light outputs, etc. I am not a 24 hour racer, so this doesn't really matter to me. What matters to me is a light that is weather proof, crash proof, and has a battery that holds a charge for more than 9 months after purchase. On these counts, JetLites is in a different product category than the infuriating NiteRider and NightSun products I have owned in the past. The fact that it is brighter than both of them put together just makes the deal that much sweeter.

I can't say enough good things about the product and the company. They are both first class.

Favorite Trail:   Something that makes you smile

Purchased At:   Jetlites

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Halogen
Nitesun
JetLites Blast (original)

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL WTF with overpriced anodized substitutions such as Hope Pro II hubs built with ZTR arch rims, Salsa skewers, Chris King BB, and Crank Bros 4xTis.

Submitted by Max Pushups a Cross Country Rider from Nevada

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2009

Strengths:    See below

Bottom Line:
This is the brightest light I have ever seen or used, and I get brighted by cars and trucks when I’m riding through town on the way to the dirt. I currently own a Jet Lites Blast HID as well as a Jet Lites Phantom Single Beam with Smart Switch. If it is a really dark night with no moon, I will usually run these two lights together. In brighter conditions, I will simply run the Blast. However, the need for two lights for me is now completely obviated by the addition of the Blast 1000. It is the only light I will ever need, and I have been able to ride extremely technical trails at night that I have previously been scared to ride. Additionally, it is supported by one of the best customer service teams I have ever had the pleasure to deal with. I highly recommend this product.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Direct

Similar Products Used:   Jet Lites Blast HID; Jet Lites Phantom Single Beam with Smart Switch

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite

Submitted by Norman a Cross Country Rider from Fredericton, NB, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2008

Strengths:    Bright, bright, bright.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
This is a brighter version of the original Jet Lites Blast HID. The original is 685 lumens and this is 1000 lumens. And that really makes a difference. I tried the new Blast 1000 next to my wife's original version, and this really looks 50% brighter. Ditto with a friend's Light & Motion. If you thought the standard HID was bright, wait until you see this. Now you might think that 700 lumens is plenty - who'd ever need more? Well, it's true that you don't need 1000 lumens to have a great ride - but it sure is nice to have. The extra brightness makes a real difference on the trails. There's so much light that you can point it way up the trail and still have plenty of light to see right in front of you. And the best part is, it's the pretty much the same price as a 700 lumen lamp. I've only had it a few weeks, so I can't say anything about reliability etc. - but this is just an updated version of the original Blast. It looks exactly the same, all the specs are the same (even the bulb wattage, I think) - I think difference is just a more efficient ballast.

Purchased At:   Direct from Jet Lite