HID Technologies Lumen8r Quad Lights

Submitted by MHanslip a Racer from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    bright, lightweight, robust, customer service

Weaknesses:    not as bright as the sun

Bottom Line:
So bright it makes the occasional person ride off the trail in front of me because they cannot see where the trail goes through the big shadow (of them) I cast on top of their light.
When things have gone wrong (like I killed my LiPo battery 2 days out from a 24hr race) they have come to the rescue with excellent customer service.
Good build and parts for the price, less expensive than many competitors of similar quality and light output.

Favorite Trail:   Skyline

Purchased At:   www.hidtechnologies.

Similar Products Used:   many from home-brew to commercial over the years

Bike Setup:   since it goes on my head it doesn't matter if the single speed, hardtail or duallie are underneath

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Launceston TAS

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome light output, great battery life with 3 battery options. 2,3 & 5 hour. Quality of the product.

Weaknesses:    The Handle bar mount is a bit bulky but I only use it as a helmet light.

Bottom Line:
Go get one

Favorite Trail:   Trevallyn, Kate Reed, 4 Springs

Purchased At:   Direct from Manufact

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   MTB

Submitted by Potty a Racer from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Strengths:    simple to use, great light output, long burn time (a true 5hrs), quick charge time, and upgradable.

Bottom Line:
Amazing light for the price. Have owned for 2 and a half years without any problems. Upgraded the light internally by HID Technologies from the triple to the quad about a year ago and made what was already a great light even better. Have been 100% happy with light but importantly with the customer service, second to none. Ordered the light over he phone only days before a big race and had it within days from interstate.

Compared it to my mates Ay Ups before I upgraded it and it was brighter with a better all round beam than his light even before my upgrade. Am completing my first 24hr solo in a weeks time and am confident that this light will not let me down. Enough light output to run solo by itself (helmet mounted) with great burn time to get me through the race on 2 batteries without charging.

Would not hesitate in buying light again and Australian Mountain Bike magazine does not give it thier "pick of the bunch" for nothing. It rocks and does not send you broke!!

Favorite Trail:   Menai

Purchased At:   Daniel from HID Tech

Similar Products Used:   None but compared it to a mates Ay Ups

Bike Setup:   Trek fuel ex9

Submitted by Potz a Racer from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2010

Strengths:    simple to use, long burn times (yes, you do get 5hrs of max burn time at near 1000 lumens output), quick to charge, and pumps out great light for a fair price, and is upgradable.

Weaknesses:    None. Had 1 faulty battery after 1 year and Daniel replaced asap at no charge.

Bottom Line:
Definitely 100% happy with this light and importantly the customer service that this Australian company provides. Purchased only days before a 24hr race over the phone and had the lights just in time for the race. Has performed flawlessly during the 2.5yrs I have owned and upgrading from the triple to the quad by HID Technologies was simple and cost effective, and well worth it.

I have compared this light with a mates Ay Up before I upgraded it to the quad and still found it to be brighter than his light (also acknowledged by my mate) even before the upgrade.

I have only used this light as helmet mounted by itself without any other lights due to plenty of light output, Am doing my first 24hr solo next week and am confident that I can use this light without any problems and it will not let me down. If you want the best bang for your buck and a light that will cut it, buy this light. Australian Mountain Bike magazine rates this product as the pick of the bunch in there LED light shootout for a reason, because it rocks!!

Favorite Trail:   Menai