Gloworm X2 Lights

4.64/5 (11 Reviews)

The Gloworm X2 1200 Lumen Light has one of the best light to size to weight ratios in the world! The 1200 lumen X2 is the result of months of testing and developing. CNC machined from a single block of 6061-T6 Alloy and weighing it a mere 79g this waterproof unit turns night into day. The X2's output is optimised for your activity, with IMT (Intelligent Mode Technology), you have the choice of four programmes: Trail (optimised for Mountain Biking), Commuter (optimisied for commuting), Adventure (optimised for adventure races, trail running etc), Bush (optimised for tramping/hiking). Each of these programmes are user selectable at any time and each have differnet runtimes based on their set light output. A remote switch keeps your hand on the controls and the small size means there's no massive weight hanging from the top of your helmet. A huge benfit of its design is the ability to mount on the front of the helmet meaning you'll never catch your light on another overhanging tree. Additionally it can also mount on the handlebar or on the supplied headstrap.

Gloworm X2 Pro Review

The Gloworm X2 is one of the surprises of the year. Born and raised on the Mtbr forums with headquarters in New Zealand, a couple of entrepreneurs listened to what the market had to say and delivered a product that addressed their needs. Gloworm X2 features a small head unit that weighs 80 grams but delivers a dual beam pattern at a claimed 1200 Lumens. The beam is quite remarkable as it has both throw and a decent spread. And the brightness measured 111 Mtbr Lux which puts it right around 1200 Lumens. Continue reading →

Submitted by xmessenger

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2013

Strengths:    Bright, small and light weight, waterproof easy to use remote.

Weaknesses:    weak velcro strap snapped while tightening.

Bottom Line:
Light tech is improving rapidly. Bought a Magic shine awhile ago, the 2011/12 model that got tons of hype for being cheap and bright.The MJ was rated at 900L but was really 600 or so, still I thought it was awesome and was able to do real rides at night plus got vehicles attention. The Gloworm blows the MJ away in brightness with a much more even white bright beam whereas the MJ was flash light style with a bright round centre and weaker halo. I put the Gloworm on my helmet rather then the bar as I did with the MJ. Helmet mount is way better for offroad riding. I actually really like the remote feature as its easy to find and use without adjusting the lights position. The light looks white compared to the warmer tint of the weaker MJ. I think the beam pattern is what really shows these guys know their stuff and are cyclists themselves because despite flooding a wide area in bright light there is still a slighty more intense beam pushing through for distance. Some complain about the throw but I haven't had any issues. Seriously, how much throw do you need? If you are going that fast, its likely in a relatively smooth and open area. I do use it on the road but it really shines off road where everything in my immediate area is very well lit and beyond is still lit up enough to anticipate whats coming. Its just fun riding at night.

Submitted by snala a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2013

Strengths:    The light spread: Is a big rectangle/ trapezoid shape and easily covers track widths and depth for distance at moderate speeds.
Battery life: It doesn't get dark here until 8.45pm at the moment so the portions of my ride in enough darkness to use a light are limited to the last 30 minutes (6-8km's). After this usage, on the 900/1200 lumen modes, the battery still shows 100%.
Remote switch and modes: A good selection of options and not going off in-between all modes I prefer. Perceived difference between 900/1200L modes isn't really that much and as I feel this light is set up for flood rather than throw so using the extra 300 lumens doesn't give you any more usable beam distance. I will try spot/spot lens in future.

Weaknesses:    Helmet mount. I have spent hours with this trying to get it to fit with different straps and the original velcro one supplied which isn't that great. Given up with the straps I had so are using 3 zip ties to secure (2 across and 1 from the front to stop it bouncing/moving) then cut them off for my day rides without a light. Contacted Bruce about spot lens accidently left out in my initial order, and he suggested a foam block in-between for helmets with complicated vane shapes to help with attaching which sounds like a good idea. He also said he would send me one of the new D ring straps with the missing spot lens too so good customer service there.
Beam spread: Was a plus up above and still is but for me I find when mounted as a helmet light the distance isn't quite there for going really quickly unless I angle the unit to get maximum range and that creates a dark spot in front of the bike which I fill with a supplementary bar mounted PD32UE (use 400L mode). I personally prefer running two lights anyway just in case 1 dies at the worst possible moment and it also helps with getting rid of shadow effects. This isn't really a criticism but just saying I can't quite ride with confidence at my normal maximum day speeds in some sections of the forest I ride with just this unit alone. I'm 6.1 tall and could just be the height above the ground when helmet mounted etc.

Bottom Line:
So ultimately overall very happy with the Gloworm X2 and recommended, especially for what it does cost wise compared to competitors. I'd say beam spread suits bike mounting rather than helmet mounting if you go really fast and use a throwy spot set up headlamp to supplement.
As a combined package with an X1 should be unbeatable value for money as a quality dual light x-country set up.

Similar Products Used:   Fenix brand LED flashlights.

Submitted by Pisgah Junkie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2012

Strengths:    Small, bright, EXTREMELY high quality, great design with LOTS of thought and innovation. Love this light. I mount the light centered on the bars out in front and it looks awesome. I ride tight technical singletrack and ride fast and I almost always run it on medium on with two flood lenses. Really nice, super smooth, full beam pattern. High quality, white light tint. Battery is also extremely high quality. Nice construction, soft touch coating oozes quality and after 2 hours on medium, the battery was showing 80%.
The mounts are also well designed and high quality as well. The light never bounces, sags or moves even through the roughest, gnarliest terrain.
I really wanted a smaller, 2-cell battery, but the 4-cell is small and light enough on the frame that it’s a non-issue and I appreciate the extra run time. They are also releasing a 2-cell batter in the very near future.
I also really like the remote switch. High quality and great concept.
Programming modes provide a lot of options.
Includes extra small parts e.g. mount screw, bushing and padding. No details were omitted when designing these lights. Even the case is really slick. Nice work Gloworm!

Weaknesses:    Not much:
- Changing optics is a bit tricky. Getting the o-ring to seat back in the light head is not easy. I changed once and don't plan to again. Most folks will use the default optics (one flood and one spot), I was just looking for a really floody pattern.
- Programming, while providing a lot of options, requires instructions. For trail riding, the default program has proven to be the best.
- Would prefer a better attachment system for the remote. Velcro is iffy on round surfaces e.g. handlebars.

Bottom Line:
This light is fantastic. Can't recommend it enough.

Favorite Trail:   Anything near Brevard

Purchased At:   Action LED

Similar Products Used:   Lezyne SuperDrive XL, Jetlites F-U2, Cygolite Turbo 740, Older Niteriders.

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 9.8.

Submitted by Pelly_NH

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2012

Strengths:    How can something so small be so damn bright! The fit and finish of the product is stellar. From the battery (tiny) to the light itself, this thing screams quality and attention to detail.

In terms of performance, this light is exceptional. Light enough and small enough to easily mount on the helmet. Incredible little light!

Weaknesses:    Velcro patch for remote doesn't have great adhesion. Switched to better quality velcro patch and am without complaints.

Bottom Line:
Finally was able to get my new X2 out on the trails. I haven't been night riding in over a decade. Needless to say, the difference between the X2 and the old Niterider Classic is night and day.

I opted to go with the helmet mount. A bit of a pain getting the long velcro strap working with the odd vents of my Giro Aeon helmet...but it's now on there pretty snug.

First impression was, OMG this thing get BRIGHT! My initial placement on the helmet was way too low, giving me a "Star Wars Warp Speed" effect with the dust. I moved the light up higher on the helmet and tilted it down a bit to make up for the difference and was good to go.

Luckily, this second position and angle worked out perfect. From slower technical sections to all-out bombing areas, I never felt like I needed any more light.

Mission Accomplished. Great work Gloworm!

Submitted by jcolby a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    small, bright and light (weight)

Weaknesses:    time consuming to switch from helmet mounted to bar mounted

Bottom Line:
After riding for one season with a MiNewt 350 I needed to step up in lumens. The first few rides, I kept the MiNewt on the bars and wore the x2 on the helmet. I have now stopped bringing the MiNewt because I can't even tell it's on with the X2. I did not think I would like the remote switch but I now prefer it to a light head mounted switch. It does take some time to switch mounts but I can see why they did it that way. I have use the Gemini Titan and while it is a great light, the mount makes it sit high on the helmet. The way the X2 mounts is unique compared to other lights and when it is mounted on top of the helmet it is very low profile.

Favorite Trail:   Bidwell Park B Trail

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   Action Lights LED

Similar Products Used:   Niterider MiNewt 350
Niterider Lumina 650
Gemini Titan

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with no real upgrades but lots of new parts after breaking the others

Submitted by OneSlowBusa a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2012

Strengths:    +crazy bright
+incredible run times
+quick charging
+did I mention crazy bright?

Weaknesses:    -The point where the power cable enters the light-head is a bit suspect. After two rides the cable protection has pulled out a bit revealing the actual wires. If it gets any worse I'll pull the light-head apart and try and slide the protective cover back on.
-The instruction manual and programming are a bit hard to follow at first, but this is more a function of the poorly worded manual

Bottom Line:
I constantly feel the need to turn it down from medium to dim upon approaching cars or other riders on the trail. Crank this thing open for the downhills and it throws a good distance while still providing plenty of spill light. Love the remote button for the light as well, as well as the Velcro attachment to the helmet which is perfect for quick install in the lot before the ride.
Overall this is a really well thought out light especially at this price point, great job glowworm

Submitted by Rhodesie a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight, small size, brilliant customer service during the purchase process when there was a shipping mixup.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
The lights are brilliant and mount well to my bars out o fthe way. provide more than enough light for my riding and in my limited use have only really needed the lower settings. Having the handle bar mounted remote is a real bonus and the programs are really well thought out so you don't have to go through a flashing mode in the sequence (in trail mode)

Favorite Trail:   Anything uphill

Purchased At:   Gloworm website

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC composite 29er 0, stans race gold wheels, XO cranks, XX cassette, Edge 500 computer....

Submitted by Germinator

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2012

Strengths:    I got an X2 a few weeks ago and I absolutely love it. Here's why: it is light, bright (way brighter than my last lights and so bright that I can ride technical single track at full throttle with no problems) and has a great run time (2.5 hours on 1200 lumens and 3.5 on 900, which is what I use most of the time). There are a couple of other really cool things too: you can mount the light forward on your helmet so it will never get caught by low hanging branches, you can very easily tilt the light so that you can search the ground for the car keys you just dropped or chat to other riders without blinding them. The remote switch is also great and allows you to change light settings on the fly if you wish. The light has around ten different light settings split into four different programs so you can use the light, for example, as an emergency beacon (1200 lumen flash every 3 secs) or as a super bright 1300 lumen light. I stay in the trail (read: MTB) mode all the time and simply switch between 900 and 1200 lumen while riding and down to 300 at the car park. You cycle through modes by clicking a button which is easy and you never cycle through a blinking mode or off mode which is great. The last thing I really like is that you can attach the light in 10 secs to your helmet without any tools and without having to fix anything permanently. Keeps the helmet looking great for day rides and, good Lord, riding on the road...

Weaknesses:    This is tricky as I have not found anything I really don't like. Perhaps the battery extension cord could be a smidgen longer. I am 5'11 (180cm) and all is good. However, if you are really tall (taller than 6'4, 190cm) and you want to put the light on your helmet and the battery pack in your jersey pocket) the extension cord may be getting a little short. That's easily fixed though by moving the light slightly further back on the helmet or not routing the cable throug the back of your helmet vents which is what I do.

Bottom Line:
I really think these are great lights: plenty of output, light, small, easy to use, really robust, watertight, and versatile (you can tilt the light, have a number of different light settings, and you can change optics too but I am very happy with the spot-frost optic I have).

If you want one light for your bar or helmet and ride hard for 2.5-3.5 hours with a single battery, the gloworm X2 could be it!

Submitted by ckesinis a Cross Country Rider from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2012

Strengths:    Very small and attractive package, for the amount of light !!!
The eccentric mount , places it centered , in front of the stem .
The remote switch allows quick access , without moving your hand from the bar, thus you can manage the output while riding, to prolong the life of the battery , when needed .
The four easily accessed programs, make it versatile, depending of the type of riding ...
I 've got also two road bikes and the light is so powerful that when I commute or ride on crowded streets , everyone pays attention to see what is coming , so I enjoy much more safety in crossroads and while riding in heavy traffic , even in daylight, were I prefer to switch it in strobo mode ..

Weaknesses:    The light is not a very spot light , even with the two spot lenses on, instead the flood/spot combination , but it does what I expected to do , it ' s neat and combined with a spot on the helmet , you can go very fast ...
The color of the LEDs is well balanced, not so warm / reddish, nor blue ...

Bottom Line:
I 'd buy also next generation , improved light , because the manufacturer is very responsive to feedback from the buyers and he really wants us pleased with this very attractive light !

I think that is a very competitive light for the price, small and very well made , and suitable for many types of riding, road, MTB, city ...
Switching between modes , you can go for hours in the dark...
It stands out of the bulk of lights at similar prices ...
Road racers/randonneurs would enjoy it also well !

Favorite Trail:   Tatoi state, plenty of trails ....

Purchased At:   Gloworm presales

WTB laserdisc Trail wheels
2x9 SLX /XT setup...

Submitted by Giant_Lander a All Mountain Rider from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2012

Strengths:    Compact, light, tons of flood with decent throw. Lot's of runtime

Weaknesses:    Weak battery case
Not much of a thrower

Bottom Line:
Great all around light with loads of runtime. Sturdy and clever light head design, prompt feedback straight from the manufacturer. Top bargain!
For serious singletrack riding, you need another light source and this one makes for a great bar light. For general and road riding, it's more than enough!

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Parnitha, St. George's trail

Purchased At:   glowormlites presale

Similar Products Used:   P7 torches, 3XMCE custom lights, 3X xpg 1000 lumens light by lux-rc, 7up xpg light

Bike Setup:   Trek Remedy 9.8 2012, xt/xtr spec with Tricon DT wheelset

Submitted by agoura_biker a All Mountain Rider from Agoura Hills, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Strengths:    really small for the amount of light!
high quality
exceptional value

Weaknesses:    not really a weakness, but puts out a wall of light rather than a tight spot
not much difference in apparent brightness between high and boost levels

Bottom Line:
The X2 is nicely designed and constructed. Having heard several comments now about how small the light is, I was prepared, but...MAN it is small! I was expecting something more like the size of my Gemini Xera, but it's quite a bit smaller in diameter. The lighthead is very light.

I'm using this as a handlebar light. It mounted easily, and I really like how the lighthead can be centered in front of the stem, leaving room on the top of the stem for my Garmin Edge.

For such a small size, it's amazing how much light the X2 puts out. The beam is quite wide in the standard flood-spot arrangement. It worked well as a bar light. However, I could use a bit more focus and throw, so I'm going to swap the flood optic for another spot and go spot-spot for the next ride. (It is really nice that an extra optic was included for free to make this possible, though they are cheap to buy.)

I actually expected the light to be a bit brighter. I thought it would dominate my Xera on my helmet since the Xera is nominally 800 lumens while the X2 is 1200 lumens, and it did look a lot brighter in my garage, but on the trail they seemed about the same brightness. The Xera isn't a tight spot, either. I think the difference is that the X2 light really covers the whole terrain. It does illuminate distant objects, but you don't get the feeling of a lot of light in the distance (maybe because the foreground is so bright). Perhaps the X2 will seem brighter with the spot-spot combination. In any case, the combination of X2 on the bars and Xera on the helmet is great! The X2 really covered the trail well, and the Xera gave extra illumination as needed, especially around corners.

The light sequence program is nicely thought out. I used the trail mode, though it is easy to switch to other programs. The low was good for general riding and especially climbing. It's easy to get to the "special" mode of dim (100 lumens) when desired (in other programs, the special mode is flash or strobe), and easy to get back to the regular modes.The battery life seemed very good. I did a one-hour ride and the battery indicator was on 80% at the end. I rode on high or boost on the flats and downhill and mostly on low on the climbs (probably 30 minutes).

The remote for this light is very convenient. It was a good length for my handlebars, and it's really convenient to switch modes without having to move your hands far. With the velcro strip that came with my light, I found that the remote slide around. Gloworm is going to switch to adhesive velcro for the future, I think, and in any case this is easily solved.

May main issue with the light, and it's a minor one, is that there is not much difference between the light output at high and boost in the trail program mode. You can see a little bit of brightening, the light gets whiter, but it really is surprising how little difference in coverage is apparent. This is supposed to be the difference between 900 lumens and 1200 lumens, which should be big! I do notice that the branches up high were well lit, so it could be that a change in the optics will make it seem brighter. Regardless, the amount of light was very usable and it lit up the trail very well, so I'm happy with the combination.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the light. I think it is by far the best value out there! It's a great design, really lightweight and small for the amount of light, and a good price. The combo with the Xera as a helmet light worked really well, everything I was hoping for.

Purchased At:   Gloworm