Exposure Lights Maxx-D Lights

4.88/5 (17 Reviews)
Weight : 337g MSRP : $449.00

The fourth generation of MaXx-D light has been developed fromThe Mk.1 with 960 lumens upTo a whopping 1285 lumens on full power.The MaXx-D can run forThree hours whilst staying inThe same compact unit.The MaXx-D is a racer's choice forThe ultimate powerTo weight ratio bar mounted light.Twinned with a Diablo you have an unbeatable combination. Weight (incl. bracket): 337g Output: 1285 lumensPower: 10400 mAh Lithium Ion batteryBurnTime: High (3 hrs) Medium (10 hrs) Low (24 hrs)Emitter:The MaXx-D

Submitted by robert.bolton

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2013

Strengths:    Night rides are a major part of my riding time. Always have been. My first mountain bike ride was a night ride. I have had ALL kinds of lights. This light is by far the best. My wife bought it for me (she worries) and the light brings both of us peace of mind. There are technically brighter lights out there, but there is no need for anything brighter than the Maxx D. The range of the light is amazing (side and forward). It is like having a good car headlight on your bike. You get the full three hours on high beam and I have had absolutely no problems with this light. I bought an extra bar bracket for my road bike for full value. I wouldn't own any other light.

Weaknesses:    None, really. The initial cost, but that is more than made up in longevity.

Bottom Line:
Best light ever!

Submitted by NorCalJ a Cross Country Rider from Granite Bay,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2012

Strengths:    Very nice quality light. The mount for the handle bar is light and low profile, so you can leave it on the bar all the time. When the light is attached to the mount, it is very solid. On high is does seem to last for the advertised 3 hrs. You can get lights that have more lumens, but I don't know why you'd need them. On high this thing is like riding in the day time. Very nice wide beam that is great in both single track and fire road conditions.

Weaknesses:    So far, the only weakness I have experienced is the customer service. My light came with a charger unit that will not work in the US. I have made several attempts to contact Exposure, so I can get the right charger, to no avail. Since the charger cord is a usb type, I'm using my Garmin charger to charge the light.

Bottom Line:
I love this light and would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a powerfull all inclusive set up. If the customer service would return my emails then I'd like it a bunch more.

Submitted by stumpjumperchris a Cross Country Rider from Orange, CA

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2011

Strengths:    Super bright. Self contained. Well made. Nice case.

Weaknesses:    Price, although after enough comparison, once realizes what a relative bargain it is. Takes a while to charge.

Bottom Line:
I ordered a blem at a discounted price, since I figured the first time I crash it'll get scratched anyway. Ibex ran out of blem. models and gave me a 2012 1st quality at no additional change (what more can you ask for). Great light when you just need to see the whole trail. Bought it with Diablo for my helmet, which is also awesome, although I wished it lasted more than 1 hour on high. However, works great on Med and will last as long as my MaxxD will on high. I only need to run high on the downhill legs anyway. Overall, I'm extremely pleased with both lights.

Favorite Trail:   STT/Luge

Purchased At:   Ibex Sports

Bike Setup:   09 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, KS i900 dropper seat post, and SRAM everything.

Submitted by Lorn a Weekend Warrior from holbrook,az,usa

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2011

Strengths:    bright as hell

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
super bright, light weight, easy to use and set up. the charging cable didn't work well out of the box, but when i called customer service before i could even finish describing the problem they offered to send me a replacement free and i had it three days later. so you get great customer service as well.

bottom line: i recommended this light to my friends.

Favorite Trail:   whatever im riding at the time

Purchased At:   ibex

Bike Setup:   heckler with fox suspension and sram drive train

Submitted by dooglaz a Racer from Redmond, WA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, self contained, really bright, Piggyback batteries easily extend battery life for 24 hour racing

Weaknesses:    spendy

Bottom Line:
This light is incredible. During a recent 24 hour race where I was part of a 2-man team, I did a lot of night racing and used the MaXx D in combination with a Diablo on my helmet. My lap times during the night actually INCREASED and everyone I passed had a shadow projected in front of them from my lights. The Piggyback batteries extended the battery time and made it so I could leave the lights on at the highest setting all the time- very nice when cranking a singlespeed at mile 100 in the early morning. During normal rides, no extra battery is needed and this is the lightest of the LEDs. Great light!

Favorite Trail:   Blackrock, OR

Purchased At:   http://www.ibexsport

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Trinewt, Minewt, Exposure Joystick, Diablo, Enduro MaXx

Bike Setup:   Ibis Mojo SL w/ Fox Talas 36, Redline Monocog Flight singlespeed w/ Fox F29 Terralogic, Lapierre Sensium 400 CP for road work

Submitted by FishMan473 a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    all-in-one unit, easy installation, light weight

Weaknesses:    amber light looks like red light, making it hard to tell when you are REALLY running out of battery power

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying that I won this light in a competition here on MTBR, so you might think I am a bit bias. However, I am under no obligation to Exposure Lights or Ibex Sports (who sponsored the contest) to give them a good review, but I figured it was worth giving them a shout out for being cool enough to give a couple lights away.

This is a great light, very bright and with a long battery life. The all-in-one aspect is key. My wife and I have some MagicShine lights as well and we ALWAYS reach for the MaxxD before the Magic Shine due to the ease of installing and using the all-in-one unit. Frankly, I'm shocked that Exposure is the only manufacturer making lights this way, its a great system. They're easy to install and remove in a hurry no cables and battery packs to have to bother with.

The light is more of a flood light which throws light broadly instead of an intense spot. For off-road night riding I think this is best if you can couple it with a spot light on the helmet, but the MaxxD puts out plenty of light on its own if all you can afford is one light for your bars. In fact, I run it on medium a lot of the time, unless I am moving fast (15 mph +) or riding with others who have bright lights. It also makes a superb safety light when riding on the street, and its small and light enough to to not be a bother even on a road bike.

My only (minor) quibbles would be the laser etched writing on the body of the light. They have the listing of how long the light will last on various power settings, but these are on the bottom where you can't read them. Also, it would be nice if they added how much battery life was left when the indicator light on the back turned amber then red. Speaking of which, my other minor quibble is that the "amber" is really a reddish orange so its hard to tell if it is red or "amber" so I'm often unsure how I am doing for remaining power. Together these minor improvements would make an excellent light nearly perfect.

As for the competition, its hard to argue with the price of those cheap MagicShine lights. I am a pretty low-budget night rider myself. But I would say that the MaxxD and other all-in-one Exposure lights are a compelling reason to pay more for a light precision machined in the UK. Sure, they're 3x the price of the MagicShine, but I use this light 10x as often, so I'd say its worth it. Ibex Sports here in the US has also been great for support for other products I have purchased from them over the years.

Favorite Trail:   anything in Sedona

Purchased At:   won here at MTBR!

Similar Products Used:   Exposure Diablo, MagicShine 900, TrailTech HID, Dinotte 200AA, PrincetonTec Apex... and other, older lights

Bike Setup:   Soulcraft hardtail with Fox F100X fork, etc.

Submitted by kuan a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2010

Strengths:    No cables. Good runtime. Brightness. Quick release. Low total weight. Easy on/off. Three brightness levels and one flash. Modular approach to adding battery packs or more lights.

Weaknesses:    Would not chance mounting it upside down.

Bottom Line:
I just got this light in the mail. This is a great light because of its ease of use. It's all one piece. No trying t route cables, no need to find extra space on your bike for the battery. The beam is very diffused, more yellow than my Lume HID, very floody, zero artifacts. There is no edge to the beam. The beam just fades into the darkness. It is significantly brighter than both the Lume HID which runs at 10W and the roulette wheel P7 MTE from DX.

I give it four stars for value because almost the same amount of light can be had from the Magicshine at a quarter of the price. Price aside, this light is outstanding.

Purchased At:   Ibex

Similar Products Used:   Cyglite Explorer, Lume Lighting Strada, MTE P7 flashlight

Bike Setup:   Long Haul Trucker

Submitted by leotkowns a Cross Country Rider from Asheville, NC

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2009

Strengths:    No cables, solid mount, battery run time, options for bigger battery, beam pattern

Weaknesses:    Mount without battery looks a bit sharp on the handlebars.

Bottom Line:
I read every review on every light before I finally purchased these lights. I bought the Maxx-D and the joystick together. This combination is amazingly bright. I feel I have lost no speed going down and with my prescription glasses I think I can actually see better at night then the day. Being able to grab your lights, pop them on and then worry about everything else really goes along way. It seems too convenient. All my riding buddies work for bike shops or industries and get pro deals on their lights. I am the sole exposure rider in the group and I have ridden with a lot of different lights and have never been disappointed with my set-up. Yes, it is not cheap. But being able to ride when you normally couldn't and knowing that your lights will work all the time every time counts for me. Like it says up topI have been riding these for about a year with zero light problems. Not to mention the countless times these lights have been used not even riding. No cables means you can throw them in a pack and take them anywhere. I have done night time gardening in the dark using the included head strap for the joystick.
The one problem I have had so far is that one of the chargers quit charging. I am going to see if it is covered under the 2 year warranty.
Bottom Line:
If you have the money you will not be disappointed with this light.

Submitted by Wolfie263782 a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic light depth and spread. No cables. Light.was recommend by Geared Bikes who are excellent and real MTB enthusiasts

Bottom Line:
Would definitly recommenmd you get one

Favorite Trail:   Any South Downs

Purchased At:   Geared Bikes (Chiche

Similar Products Used:   None wiorth mentioning

Submitted by SlackerEszter a Racer from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2009

Strengths:    Small size, light weight, no cables, amazing light, amazing battery life for the size, easy removal

Bottom Line:
I used this light during the Vapor Trail 125 this year. With 8 hours of darkness to contend with, 3 of them being on technical single track, this light performed like a dream. The battery life was long enough to run plenty of light when I needed it and then last through the rest of the night on a lower setting. An excellent choice for anyone looking for a good set-up for riding at night.

Similar Products Used:   Niterider MiNewt, Niterider TriNewt, Cateye

Bike Setup:   Waltworks 29er

Submitted by joethanson a Cross Country Rider from Forestdale,MA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Strengths:    Amount of light in a compact package. No wire or exsternal battery. I can't believe a small package like this lights the trail so
well,but it does. Ease of mounting. Snap on and ride.

Bottom Line:
I bought this on faith of reviews and confidence of sales alone. It all came out to exceed my expectations. Wow! I paired it with thenew diablo for 2010 for a smokin" package. I saved abiout 3 LBS in my pack and bottle cages.

Favorite Trail:   TrailofTears

Purchased At:   Ibex Sports

Similar Products Used:   Night Rider HID. Night Pro dual beam.

Bike Setup:   Fuel 8. Motebecane Fantom. Cannondale Cadd 7

Submitted by enduro374 a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2008

Strengths:    British, no fuss, robust, simple to use, light, spread of light.

Weaknesses:    Price (if paying RRP)

Bottom Line:
It's a superb bit of kit. Makes an awesome torch and is just so simple to use. I also have the car charger and await the Red Eye that plugs in. May get a piggy back battery pack, but the burn time is long especially as the low setting is still so good. Manual says that with the unit in flash mode, it will last for Days!! High mode is simply awesome and lights up everything in front of you (and the bits to the side too!).

Favorite Trail:   All Over

Purchased At:   Head For The Hills

Similar Products Used:   Old Twin light Cat Eye system.

Bike Setup:   Nicolai Helius CC

Submitted by neilwragg a Cross Country Rider from Marlow, UK

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2008

Strengths:    longevity of the battery, brightness, cable free zero clutter!

Weaknesses:    bigger unit on the bars than keeping the battery separate, long full charge time

Bottom Line:
Best lights I've used to date. Been through all of the above over the years and the Maxx-D is by far the best. Obviously technology keeps moving on giving more lumens each year from all the manufacturers but the setup of no cables anywhere is brilliant. Just click the unit on and go, it's a very sturdy connection with no wobbling. You can see the battery indicator all the time but I've not been out at night long enough to run out of light - 3 hours on full 900+ lumens!
The three light settings are perfect, no need for anything in between and easy to whip off to charge.
Like it.