Cygolite Z Force HID Lights

4.25/5 (28 Reviews)

CYGOLITE is breaking into the competitive arena with the introduction of the new Z Force HID lighting system. The Z Force utilizes a new 12-watt Metal Halide HID lamp that produces the equivalent of 40 halogen watts. The HID light resembles sunlight, resulting in a clearer, brighter, bluish white beam. For extended use, CygoLite has integrated a high-capacity Nickel Metal Hydride battery pack.

Submitted by jmowatt a Cross Country Rider from lantzville bc

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2008

Strengths:    3 yrs no problems super bright can burn for two nights on one charge

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
3 seasons and still strong!! this light has been so good to me i just bought another one for my bars (fog light) yes i would recommend but retail price still high buy off season..

Favorite Trail:   O-fig-no

Purchased At:   arrowsmith bikes

Similar Products Used:   BLTs

Bike Setup:   giant reign

Submitted by Rolfe a Weekend Warrior from Oakland CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2006

Strengths:    bright light, cheap price

Weaknesses:    cheap price, poor quality parts

Bottom Line:
I bought two of these, one for me and the other for a friend. After about 4 months of use (16 times), the cord failed. I borrowed my friends light (since he never made it out for a night ride), and after about 5 months that cord was giving me trouble. I was able to rig that cord so it worked, but then the switch broke and I was out of luck. I ended up replacing my Niterider battery.

Never got around to waranty it, but will be sending it back soon... It needs better parts.

Similar Products Used:   NIght rider lights for years

Similar Products Used:   NIght rider lights for years

Bike Setup:   FXR, FLY, Jericho

Submitted by Helen Tang a Cross Country Rider from La Puente

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2006

Strengths:    Lights up the entire trail. Very reliable. Battery life is more than expected. Great Technology.

Weaknesses:    None, There are No Weaknesses to this light! I have never had a problem with my light except when I broke my bulb. Customer service was a perfect 10 on helping me repair my light.

Bottom Line:
This light is the best light I have ever bought. I love the light more than my husband. I had one problem with the light and that was when I broke the bulb by accident. I have been ridding for over ten years and have never came across a light so perfect for every sitution. I have never been more impressed by a light with such capability. The company is even more impressive by fixing my broken bulb with out any problems. They have a real person on the other end and no long forms to fill out in order to send in your light. They give you quick RA number and your off to the post office. Wham Bam and your light is back on your bike and your headed for greener pasture. This company is a perfect 10 in my book and any one else I know that owns a CygoLite. I want to tell every one who reads this that this light is the best out there yet. I recommend CygoLite to every one out there.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Night Explorer, Perfect for Slow Night Cruzes.

Bike Setup:   Best on the Market 3,500.00 USD Worth

Submitted by Scott Buley a Cross Country Rider from Saugerties, NY

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2006

Strengths:    This light was my savior when my vistalights finally quit...thought some new technology would be good ...
the light is intense and battery life is excellent, but read on and check my other review 2 places down ...

Weaknesses:    This company sucks to deal with ...no urgency in accomadating this cyclist/bike shop employee ...my light has failed me again ...The first problem was in oct 05 ...battery charger failed and would not charge...called them and I got a run around ..light was 2 weeks old ...5 weeks later I got sent a new rapid charger ...Now 6 months later and the light still looks great in the box...wont stay on without going to low battery status regardless of how its charged ...called them today after making sure it wasnt something I screwed up and got the same run around and some further bs about how that system is not manufactured anymore ...that they could not replace the whole thing that it would have to be repaired...nice after only 4 rides and my dollars laid out there I get boned ...
So I finally get the ra# to send it back...I expect the result will be that they fix the light, but to deal with this hassle is a pain in the ass ...Any other manufacturer
would have sent me a light system and call tagged the old ...These guys have no clue about customer service and
my conversation with them in regards to my problems exhumed no empathy ...I would say that they are just in it
for the money and not to improve our sport as well as satisfy and support their customers....I would not reccomend this purchase again ...

Bottom Line:
This company might have the technology, but not the support...its a shame cause I like the light except for the mount ...For the cost I would feel more confident with a flashlight taped to my handlebar and a camelbak full of
batteries.....
Cygolite is not your best choice .......

Favorite Trail:   any and all

Purchased At:   Overlook Mtn Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Marwi elite, titan...Vistalight halogens ....

Bike Setup:   plenty to choose from ....

Submitted by PETER MARTINEZ a Cross Country Rider from KENT,WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent visibility on the Interurban and Greenriver Trail. I am a yearround commuter. Kent to Seattle 5 days/wk. I go to and come home in the dark during the winter months. Using the NiCad model I just had a battery failure after 18 months. I returned and exchanged the NightRider roadrat for the Z-force. I needed the light output and the longer battery charge.

Weaknesses:    I do not like the placement of light switch. It's hard to push the light button when wearing gloves in the winter. Designing a Battery with a longer lasting charge would make this system even better.

Bottom Line:
Definitely a good buy. I want to see where I am going and Z-force doew the job. I Got to dodge those pesky wabbits, skunks, and river rats running around on the trail in the early morining hours. You definitely can see far enough ahead to avoid a nasty spill. This is an excellent lighting system for soumeone who uses their bicycle as a primary mode of commutting.

Favorite Trail:   Interurban, Greenriver

Similar Products Used:   I tried the nightrider roadrat

Bike Setup:   I have a mountain bike set-up for commuting. In addition a pull a bob trailer carrying all my clothes and laptop. I average 150 to 200 miles/wk.

Submitted by Mike Werner a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2005

Strengths:    Bright. Ideal for a commuter. I ride 60 miles/week year round to get to and from work. It feels safer in the winter and dark with this light - cars don't know what you are and so yeild- than in the summer during the daytime when I am just another bike.

Weaknesses:    Battery was poorly sealed from rain. After a soggy Seattle Fall, it failed. I sent it back to the company and they replaced it. No further problems.

Bottom Line:
Bright light. My life depends upon it, and it really works!
This was the brightest light I could find 3 years ago, and I still think that there is nothing brighter.

Purchased At:   Local

Bike Setup:   Commuter

Submitted by Scott Buley a Cross Country Rider from Saugerties, NY 12477

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2005

Strengths:    Yes, its bright and it did go forever...Makes you wanna ride faster and the light adds plenty of contrast to the trail...the battery seems tough..the cable is heavy duty
and beam pattern is near perfect...

Weaknesses:    Ive had nothing but trouble after the first two rides..
The fast charger died after the 3rd charge and Cygolite was in no hurry to get one out ..took 3 weeks and now after
fumbling with this thing for another 2 days of charging, now the battery wont charge ...Am I being punished?
So we will see how long this takes for me to actually be able to use it again...Otherwise I was almost happy aside
from the cheap plastic handlebar mount that has little adjustment ..

Bottom Line:
Coulda been my new dream light the first two rides, but
now its like the girl you met who after the second date
presents you with lots of drama ....Well lets leave it at that untill Cygolite redeems itself; or it snows and I throw this thing out in front of the plow; or I smash this thing to bits with a hammer ...

Cygolite are you listening now?

Favorite Trail:   any local

Purchased At:   Overlook Mtn Bikes

Similar Products Used:   5 Vistalight halogen 15 watters with lots of different batteries....old tried and true ..Damm you Bell Sports ..

Bike Setup:   Stable of bikes...Whatever I feel like riding that night ...

Submitted by Col. Crank a Cross Country Rider from Newark, De

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    I really think the light is one of the brightest. Burn Time, its rated at 4hrs and thats just about what I get out of it.

Weaknesses:    Battery weight hands-down is its weakness. Next would be the placement of the on/off switch.

Bottom Line:
This light is worth the dough. Buy it. It's bright enough to shut up your friends who brag about their light systems. You can solve the on/off switch problem when you buy the helmet mount (its a must!) The helmet mount kit comes with a switch that straps to the helmet. I got mine from AEBIKE.COM $15.00.
***Just a note, dont place your cell phone next to the battery in your pack. It will make the battery life light flash. Just enough to scare you in the middle of nowhere in the pitch dark***

Favorite Trail:   The Back Nine

Purchased At:   Ancient Chinese Secret

Similar Products Used:   Mag-lite. Candles. Jar-o-Fireflies. GlowStiks

Bike Setup:   A frame, a chain, two peadls, some gears, oh and a handle bar.

Submitted by Low-key a Cross Country Rider from Victoria BC Canada

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2005

Strengths:    Brighter that bright.

Weaknesses:    Weight,cost

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best, brightest, light I've used. All my buddys ride close to me so they get a good look at what's ahead. They thought they had good lights. Nothing else compares! If you need to see everything at night this is the light for you. Its expensive but well worth the piece of mind it give you smokin through the single track at midnight.

Favorite Trail:   Birth control, Hot cherry

Purchased At:   performance bikes

Similar Products Used:   BLT,Cat eye,

Submitted by Pat Connelly a Racer from Navarre, FL

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2005

Strengths:    BRIGHT! 4-Hour burn time

Weaknesses:    Battery weight, no helmet angle setting

Bottom Line:
Endurance racer (12/24 Hour events). Excellent value (price vs. performance). Used Cygolight Z Force for 3 hours, then switched to backup (Arc Li-ion) for remainder of the race. Cygolight has slightly wider light dispersion and is marginally brighter. Arc Li-ion has tiny 'spot' beam in the middile of it's wide beam that was nice for identifying roots/rocks in th shadows. I only use helmet light, no bar light. HID is the only way to go for riding fast at night. Halogen light just does not illuminate enough of the trail to hammer in the dark. For $$$ paid, Z Force is an excellent buy.

Favorite Trail:   Bar H Ranch, St Jo, TX

Purchased At:   MTBR Classifieds

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider Digital Evolution (no comparison), Light & Motion Arc Li-ion

Bike Setup:   DeKerf Team ST, Race Face drivetrain, Thomson post & stem, SRAM XO, White Industries Hubs/Mavic 517 rims

Submitted by Pepperman a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2005

Strengths:    Great light. I rode with a few buddies who have Niteriders, and this was the same brightness with a bit wider spread/dispersity of light. The on/off switch is on the battery (I think the ballast is too?) which makes the head unit on the handlebar very light! I also have a dual halogen beam Niterider (32w max) - this is brighter. The big bonus is that the HID shows the definition in the trail much better than halogen. It's a huge advantage and lets me ride faster and with more confidence at night. With the NiMH battery, I get a FULL FOUR HOURS of light! That's a LONG burn life. Wow! I didn't believe it until I bought it. It also charges pretty quickly and has a smart (plug n forget) charger.

Weaknesses:    The switch on the light isn't that burly/ergonomic for gloved hands. I also question the water resistance of the unit. I also would question it's long term durability

Bottom Line:
This light rocks. I just hope it holds up in the long run. 20 rides and counting...

Favorite Trail:   poacher's secret

Purchased At:   V-Tech

Similar Products Used:   Two friends have Niterider blowtorches and boith have sent theirs in for service (one guy sent it in twice and it still doesn't turn on all the time). Three frinds have the Z-Force light and no one has had a problem (yet). This is much brighter than my dual beam halogen NiMH Niterider and lasts much longer. HID is much better than Halogen for trail vision.

Bike Setup:   custom 25 lb full suspension XC rig with Talas RLC, X.O, carbon, Magura SL disc and more.

Submitted by Surlydave a Cross Country Rider from Indian Trail,North Carolina

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Strengths:    Dang bright! More light then most HID's I've seen. Affordable for HID with smart charging.

Weaknesses:    On-off button is too small, it's hard to press with a winter type glove on.

Bottom Line:
I choose this light as a low cost HID and opted for the NIMHD upgrade to get the smart charging system. I had not expected the light to be brighter then most of the other guys HIDS. This light has proven reliable so far in about 20 rides and the smart charger makes things easy to get ready to night ride.I'm very pleased with this light!

Purchased At:   Airbomb.com

Similar Products Used:   Only halogens which are NO comparison

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed

Submitted by Pedaler845 a Cross Country Rider from Hyde Park NY

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2005

Strengths:    Bright, seemingly well built. Price.

Weaknesses:    Nitpick?~ The package says the NMH battery has no memory, yet the manual states a few times how it's critical to completely discharge before recharging, etc. WTF! I called them up and they contradicted the no memory claim. I'm wary of false claims; otherwise ok.

Bottom Line:
A great light! Once I did get a burn time of 3.25 hrs, but usually it is as claimed @ 4 hrs. This is a worthwhile light as I'm safer (or faster). Safer, as in seeing more obstacles in the trail.

Favorite Trail:   stealth