Cygolite TridenX LED Li-Ion Lights

Weight : 290g MSRP : $199.98

FEATURES:

• Light output equivalent to HID
  • Triple High-Brightness LEDs
  • Cross-Fire™ technology with highly focused optical lenses expands the field of vision
  • 8 total brightness / flashing settings:
  • Bicycling Mode: High- Med High- Med Low- Low
  • Special Mode: Fast flash- Slow flash- Walking- SOS
  • Compact & Light wt. Aluminum alloy headlight ( wt.= 115gm)
  • 3 stage battery level indicator
  • Brightness setting indicators
  • Ultra-thin, stem mount Li-Ion battery
  • 3.7 hour smart rapid charger
  • Heavy-Duty Flip-Lock handlebar bracket fits oversized & standard sized handlebars
  • Helmet mount included

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by migonmtb a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2010

Strengths:    Like riding with a car's headlight on. This light is awesome! Love the wide beam it produces. It is light, and the battery pack is very small and light. Recharging time is nice and short. Overall, an awesome light. Highly recommend it.

Weaknesses:    Helmet mount is via a simple velcro strap tie-down. Nice in its simplicity, but it seems to want at least a velcro strip attached directly to the helmet for additional firmness. That's what I did and it feels perfect. It does work just fine with the strap provided provided you tighten it strongly enough. Angle adjustment is via a swivel held in place by just a screw (and nut). No notching. Works fine provided the screw pressure is just right, but it "droops down" or can get bumped off place on bumpy ride if screw is loose. Yes, packaging is a little flimsy, but who cares.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome light! Great brightness, wide beam, tiny and light battery pack. Like riding with a car's headlight beam on. I would give it 4.5 chilis based on minor weaknesses noted. Since half chilis are not available, product definitely deserves rounding to the higher chili. Ride on!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Compared against Jetlites. Comparable price (right between their 680 and 1,000 lumen models). What sold me on Cygolite was smaller and lighter battery pack with similar light output. TridenX also claims a wider beam. It IS a nice wide beam, but I did not get to make a live comparison. Now that Jetlites is coming out with a high powered LED, that may be worth a look (as battery pack should also be lighter), but that will also be a single bulb light, compared to TridenX's 3.

Bike Setup:   I use the TridenX on helmet mount as my only light, and it is PLENTY bright. I suppose during very rainy or dusty conditions I might miss a handlebar light, but even with light rain I have not wished for any more light so far.

Submitted by jemartin@alarm.com a Racer from Oakton, VA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2010

Strengths:    Super bright. Good battery life. Works well in very cold conditions. Very light.

Weaknesses:    Lacks commuter friendly features

Bottom Line:
    This thing is very light and very bright - to the point that I rarely use the two brightest settings. I commute with it mostly. I wish the blinking patterns were not as bright. They completely blind drivers and I had to stop using them. I also wish I could switch from continuous light to blinking light when I go through tricky intersections. As it is, I would have to turn off the light first in order to go from one to the other and back. Overall, an awesome light keeps me safe. It should do very well on the trail as well...

Favorite Trail:   Difficult Run

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Cheap stuff. Old heavy cygolite lead acid setup

Bike Setup:   Hardtail mountain bike frame with rigid fork and city tires

Submitted by Straw_hut a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2010

Strengths:    Holy crap it's bright. Small, light, easy to use. I love the 4 normal settings on it

Weaknesses:    Packaged cheaply. The plastic carton that holds the unit inside the box is the same type that Orea cookies come in. It would have been nice to see custom styrofoam or anything better thought out for the packaging. AND... the velcro strip that the unit came with was cheap and not strong enough to hold the battery pack to the stem of my bike. I had to use a custom strap that I asked my mother to sow for me. It works perfectly now

Bottom Line:
    Would have given it 5 stars it wasn't for the cheap velcro strip. I guess i'm being a little picky but paying almost 300$ for a bike light, i expect it to be perfect.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider Minewt x2, BLT halogens

Bike Setup:   2008 Rocky Mountain Vertex XC

Submitted by epicjurneez a Weekend Warrior from socal

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2010

Strengths:    what everyone else says!

I must say that I was and am impressed with the quality of this product! Especially for a fraction of the cost of "pop" brands.

Brighter, lighter, constructed better, prettier, and more running time than anything in this price-range.

Weaknesses:    not the warmest color temp. It seems that a warmer color like amber would bring out landscape features better.

Bottom Line:
    I do things on the cheap. The price/lumen ratio on this product made me pull the trigger...finally on led lighting.

After various led lights lighting my nocturnal forays, I've come to appreciate the warmth that halogens produce. My Marwi's had nice lighting but the battery and light housing weighed a ton!

This current Tridenx set weighs less than a pound and it stays permanently mounted on my helmet for "all" rides.

All my friends freak out when they see how bright the light is, emphatically stating, "I can't believe how bright your light is!" It's amusing.

The rated running time is pretty accurate where I've known many other makes to fall far short of their stated times!

Cygolite's product is superior in design, quality, and finish. Looks like I'll be using this item for years!
    This company's a best kept secret!

Similar Products Used:   this is my first light in this lumen range/led. marwi dual light w/lead acid.

Bike Setup:   irrelevant

Submitted by epic09 a Weekend Warrior from stockton, ca

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2010

Strengths:    Bright as HID car headlight. Can not tell the difference between a car light and TridenX. Lights up the road in front and houses in the local neighborhood. LED light assembly is very compact and low weight.

Weaknesses:    Can't wait for the next generation with more lumens (800 lumens maybe?) It could use a battery that last longer as an option.

Bottom Line:
    meet my requirements: 1) bright as HID car light. 2) lights the road up in front of me. 3) light reflector total area is large enough to look like its a motorcycle light. 4) has to 2 different flashing modes and 4 steady light output modes. 5) light is small and compact. 6) battery is small and has 2.5 hours at high output.
    I would recommend this light for anyone for road bike use. I would think this would work great in mountain biking too.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye hl450

Bike Setup:   Road bike for night riding exercise.

Submitted by jringer a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2009

Strengths:    Lots of light!, great battery duration, compact and very lightweight

Bottom Line:
    This light has completely exceeded my expectations. It mounts perfectly on the handlebar (including the battery, which velcros nice and snug to the stem), emits a ton of light, and lasts for hours. I caught a sale at REI and relative to the price of competing light options out there, this is a no brainer. I've been extremely happy with this light and would highly recommend it.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   Raleigh XXIX

Submitted by Jon a Weekend Warrior from Blacksburg, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2009

Strengths:    Bright, even light; solid handlebar mount; good controls; lightweight

Weaknesses:    Broad beam pattern results in not as much "bright" light (see below)

Bottom Line:
    Absolutely awesome light with a really even flood of light up front. The light head has 3 LED's, two of which shine out ahead with clear lenses, and one of which has a diffuser so that the light spreads out closer to you. This basically lights up everything in front of you and off to the sides pretty well - it's more like riding in daylight than the 'riding in a tunnel' feeling that I got with my old halogens that had a much narrower beam. The only downside of this is that my Cygolite MityCross helmet light tends to make a big bright spot when I have it on high, filling in the shadows from the TridenX on the bars and making it hard to judge the height of rocks and drops. The solution was just to turn the helmet light down a notch in the rocky sections.

The light head is aluminum - solid and sturdy, though still small and lightweight - and the handlebar mount is fantastic, especially compared to those O-ring systems used by other manufacturers. I did have one issue - in the sub-freezing temps last night and with a pair of heavy gloves on, I pushed too hard on the tab that latches the light to the bar mount and it snapped off. Totally my fault, but I called Cygolite this morning and they're sending out a replacement mounting bracket to me at no charge. That's great service!

I would buy one again in a heartbeat (and the MityCross 350 too). Oh, and these lights are a pretty good deal considering the light output and quality construction - I found mine online for $269 (list is $350).

Favorite Trail:   Mack Ridge, Fruita, CO

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Old NiteRider halogens, Cygolite MityCross 350

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz BLT w/XT and XTR, Avid Juicy 7's, King hubs, headset, BB

Submitted by toddo a Cross Country Rider from las vegas

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2009

Strengths:    strong bar mount
    awesome wide beam pattern with a long throw
    great price

Bottom Line:
    great bang for the buck!
    stop thinking about it and just buy one.
    I works perfect for riding the Cottonwood system in Las Vegas. I'm amazed at how much light this thing puts out.
    I've riden for over 3 hours with plenty of power left in the battery. I started off by switching the brightness settings to help conserve battery power. I don't even bother anymore because the battery seems to last forever. The charger works great! It's about the size of a cell phone charger and It's so simple to plug it in for a recharge.

Favorite Trail:   anything

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   20 dollar commuter lights (cateye and bell)

Bike Setup:   2009 trek fuel ex8

Submitted by turkeyman a Weekend Warrior from Clemmons, NC USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    Good Distance but nice flood beam covers all the trail and allows you to see everythign you need to see.

Weaknesses:    None Found yet. Is a great product.

Bottom Line:
    I would buy this light again in a heartbeat. I intend to use for recreational riding and possibly some search and rescue. I am not afraid to ride full speed in the wood with this kind of brightness and beam width. I got lucky and found it on clearance and got a great price.

Favorite Trail:   Sherman Branch

Purchased At:   Bike Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   First light but my buddy has the Mighty and it is just narrower than the Triden in beam.

Bike Setup:   TREK Fuel EX9

Submitted by tgreathead a Downhiller from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2009

Strengths:    Light, bright, super quick QR clamp, very good life to weight ratio

Weaknesses:    I wish the standard battery cord was a few inches longer, same for the velcro strap. I've since fixed both issues with a new strap.

Bottom Line:
    Awesome light, especially for the money and weight. Tons of different light settings. I pair it with an Exposure Maxx Joystick on my helmet and have no problems seeing anything ahead of me on singletrack.

My only complaint is the battery cord could be a tad longer, 2 inches would be perfect for me. I have the extension cable but that's a ton of extra length that's not needed. Not a big deal though, just took some clever placement. Same with the velcro strap, I had to add a longer one. I use a short (50mm) stem so the battery is a little to big to mount on top. I not mount it to my headtube and wrap a longer piece of velcro between the top and down tubes.

Overall love this light, would highly recommend.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   BikeBling.com

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Minewt X.2

Bike Setup:   Enduro

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Strengths:    Very bright with a good flood of light, easy bar mounting, controls are easily used while riding

Weaknesses:    none found yet (haven't tried helmet mounting)

Bottom Line:
    Note I only have the cygolite on the bars and no head light (yet!). The throw of light is wide enough so you get some coverage on tight turns but as many have mentioned a good helmet light would be the way to go. I've done 52km/hr on downhill fire trails with the light easily throwing far enough ahead (30-40meters) and also some fast single tracks with the flood covering a good width for taking turns/corners with ease.
    Turning light down for x-country and up hill sections still gives plenty of light but conserves battery and increases ride time of well over 4hrs when hitting the high beam on the downhills.
    Overall - this light is a great combo of distance and flood, is very small at 290gms, mounts to the bike securely and neatly. This light is more than ample for those speeding down firetrails and singletracks.

Favorite Trail:   Bennetts

Bike Setup:   freeride beast based on merida dominator pro frame

Submitted by hoadley a Cross Country Rider from Irvine

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2009

Strengths:    This is the best LED light in the market right now. It's bright!! LED lasts longer than HID and is similar in intensity.

Bottom Line:
    I have used several models of Niterider lights from Halogen to HID to Trinewt. Cygolite TridenX beats them all. It allows me to see better at night and ride faster down technical singletracks.

Favorite Trail:   J pack

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Trinewt, Niterider Firestorm

Bike Setup:   Titus Switchblade

Submitted by TomekS a Weekend Warrior from Surrey, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    Very bright, nice beam pattern, reliable battery connector.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
    I use it on every day commuting including riding through park with no street lights. The brightnes and light pattern is just perfect for such a trail. Easy and fast to adjust when riding along on city streets. Charger is fast and equipped with robust connector.

Favorite Trail:   Surrey Bike Trail

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Planet Bike high power LED's

Bike Setup:   San Marin, Anselmo. city commuting.

Submitted by atvkilla a Cross Country Rider from CT

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2008

Strengths:    Brightness, size of unit and battery, simplicity, both mounting options included.

Weaknesses:    None that I've noticed

Bottom Line:
    I use this for fast singletrack mtb'g. I've been looking at lights for several years now and couldn't justify spending 300-500 for bicycle lights. I would not pay the suggested retail for this, but I finally found one for 239 at modern bike and purchased it. For the lumen output, $239 is a great price. I have not compared it against others that are in this lumen range, but what I can tell you is that there is ample light. I rode with someone who has a Dinotte 200L and the Dinnotte was definately not as bright, but was also more of a spot.

The size of the light and battery is tiny; smaller than the pictures suggest. Build quality is lightweight aluminum and feels solid. The battery meter on the top as well as the up/down light switch is a nice option to have to turn the light down when resting or climbing. Run time is 2.5 hours on high, less when it's very cold out. Typically, my day rides are only an hour or 2, so this light is plenty. Cables are high quality and mounting to the stem is quick, simple, and very secure.

This is my only light, and on the trail, this light really fills a good stretch of trail in front of you as well as to the sides. As noted before, this is more of a flood light, but flood it does; there's plenty of good light that spills in front to travel even twisty downhills at 15-20mph. On very tight singletrack, sometimes the beam gets a little lost, but I think that is the nature of riding with 1 light mounted to the bar. With any other light mounted on your head, this would remedy that. Tridenx comes with a helmet mount, but haven't tried it there yet.

The battery charges in less than 4 hours, and is a snap to mount. I don't have any idea as to the durability, as I only have about 4 rides on it, but so far so good. Value is 4/5 because I think the retail is a little steep, but at around $250, it's a fair deal.

Favorite Trail:   Nass