Cygolite Metro 420 Lights

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The CygoLite Metro 420 USB rechargeable headlight paves the way to unparalleled safety, utility, and value, giving riders an affordable, USB rechargeable headlight with class leading 420 lumen output. The CygoLite Metro 420 was created with the commuter in mind and offers a powerful and affordable solution to light the way from point A to point B. Includes: Locktite tool-free handlebar mount

Submitted by Forster a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2013

Strengths:    Weight
USB Charge Cord
Settings

Weaknesses:    Handlebar mounting adapters with 1" bars.

Bottom Line:
This light was on sale with a tail light, looked pretty good and came with a taillight, I bought one for both my and my wife's bike. I had an older Cygolight (6 volt lead-acid) that has been solid for years but was suffering from a commercial battery replacement (Cygolight uses a 7.2 volt battery) issue, so I expect a lot from their products. On Country roads and Bike trails in the county I'm really happy to run on the Medium setting (12-15 mph), as the conditions change and I hit a few city streets the flash and look setting and straight flash setting prove really useful. It's a great little light and for commuters I can think of no deficits. If I was racing I'd want a removable battery. On medium I can light both sides of the trail and at least 15 yards up front.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Cygolight 7.2 Volt

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2013

Strengths:    Bright, rechargeable, removable from mount

Weaknesses:    adjustment

Bottom Line:
I purchased this light from a LBS, at $79.95. Even though its a little pricey I found it to be a great value. It has 5 settings - med, hi ,low, night flash and day flash. I charged the light for 5 hours as said in directions. I then left the light on hi until it shut off. I got 2 hours and 45 minutes! The only downfall I found, and a minor one at that, is the light pivots side to side on the mount about 10 degrees. After rough sections I notice it moves out of center. Also, it is removeable from the mount so you can use it as a normal flash light.

Favorite Trail:   NJ pine barrens

Duration Product Used:   one 3 hour ride

Purchased At:   mt holly bicycles

Bike Setup:   marin frs

Submitted by Aaron G.

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to recharge with any mini USB cable
Saves you $$$ on batteries
Mount is very easy to put on and take off
Bright
Steady flash gives you the best of both worlds
Remembers previous setting on power up
Made in the USA
Mount stays in place but light can be swiveled slightly for placement

Weaknesses:    I've read that some people have reported issues with the USB flap on the back of the light not staying seated but I've not had any issues with mine so far

Bottom Line:
This light replaced an older Cateye model so I suppose anything I bought was going to be a big upgrade but I'm very impressed and pleased with this light. It's plenty bright for my needs as a commuter since I spend the vast majority of my time on lit streets with some unlit streets mixed in to my ride.

Two things that I particularly like about this light is that it has a steady flash mode where the light says on and projects a solid beam while also flashing so you don't have the typical on/off pattern you see with other lights. This is the mode I usually use when riding at night. If you want, there is a mode they call day flash that does the more traditional on/off flashing instead which I use as a sort of daytime running light when riding during the day. The other thing I like is that it remembers which mode you last used and immediately returns to that mode when you turn it on. No more having to push the button over and over just to get to the mode you want.

There's not what I would call a huge difference between high and medium that I can tell. It's certainly brighter but if you really were concerned about the battery I think using the medium setting would be fine.

According to the box, run times are as follows:
High: 1h:40m
Medium: 2h:30m
Low: 10h
Steady pulse: 3h
Flash: 25+h

They say that it takes about five hours to fully charge but that's only if you run the battery all the way down to empty. I have a power plug with USB for my iPhone that I also use to charge this light although sometimes I plug it into my laptop instead.

cygolite metro 420/500 for helmet mount trail riding?

Anyone use either of these for trail riding mounted on their helmet? I have a Minewt 350 on my handlbars but I'm looking for a self contained light for my helmet as well and seems to be pretty cost effective.Read More »