Cygolite Expilion 250 Lights

Second Generation One-Piece Design LED lighting system with USB rechargeable Quick Release battery for multi-purpose users. Cygolites Expilion takes one piece lighting to another level, giving riders a light that is small for daily commuting and bright on the trails. New for 2011, the ExpiliOn 250 is Cygolites brightest and lightest one piece lighting system featuring 250 lumens of intense LED light seen through 6 different lighting modes, and powered by a Quick Release USB rechargeable Li-Ion battery. At only 130 grams, this light can be mounted with the included handlebar or helmet mounts to light your favorite commute or trail.

Submitted by mgsuarez a Cross Country Rider from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, one piece, bright.

Weaknesses:    Battery gets loose, Falls out. Mounts are ridiculously hard to remove light from.

Bottom Line:
Nice thought. Design sucks! Redesign the mount and battery and it might be really good. Otherwise useless!

Favorite Trail:   PQ

Purchased At:   Bikebling

Submitted by Phil a Cross Country Rider from Magog,quebec Canada

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2011

Strengths:    Unbelievably bright for its size.Used it twice in total darkness on bike trail. Could easily see road imperfections at 120 feet.BUT ,...the battery falls out on its own.Happened twice .Was lucky it fell in a pocket of my cycling bag.Product apparently already off the market.

Weaknesses:    Unreliable design . battery will fall out on the trail.
Totally unacceptable at this price.

Bottom Line:
Find another design. I don't trust this thing to cross the sidewalk.

Purchased At:   MEC

Submitted by moke a Weekend Warrior from La Crescenta, CA

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight wireless light that can be kept in your pack. Comes with helmet and bar mounts. Brighter than expected.

Weaknesses:    Tough to disengage from both helmet and bar mounts.

Bottom Line:
I keep it in my camelback and leave the mount on my helmet (the bar mount stays on my commuter). My original bar mounted LED was good enough to get me off the mountain safely but when I use this light on my helmet in tandem with the bar LED, I can now descend at full speed. Worth every penny, and I'm getting more weekday rides in now.

Favorite Trail:   El Prieto

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Cygolite dual cross. Niterider minewt. Various loners from friends.

Bike Setup:   Bichin Yeti 575

NiteRider MiNewt.250 vs. CygoLite ExpiliOn 250

Has anyone used either of these lights? Are there pros/cons, do you have a preference? I live in AZ and summer is upon us. My riding has been pretty much limited to night time right now. I want to purchase an additional light to really brighten up the trails and it has come down to these choices due ... Read More »

CygoLite ExpiliOn 250 vs. NiteRider MiNewt.250