CatEye Triple Shot Lights

3.88/5 (17 Reviews)

CatEye Triple Shot is the brightest LED bicycle light available, and uses 3 higher power LEDs combined with Opticube technology to focus the light in front of you. It features a tough die-cast aluminum body, locking cable connectors to prevent blackouts,

Submitted by DaveS a Weekend Warrior from Vallejo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2010

Bottom Line:
Need to follow-up on my earlier post:

I still don't like the Cat Eye support website, but Cat Eye SUPPORT itself is EXCELLENT! My unit is 3.5 years old and developed an intermittent problem with the power connectors so the light wasn't working reliably. I finally was able to send a one-line message via the support website and got an e-mail from them the next day. They said to send the unit back and they would look at it. I sent the lamp and battery back, but not the charger. When I got home yesterday I found a box on by doorstep with brand new lamp and battery units!

I'm normally very careful, but I will need to be extra careful not to stress the cords going to these connectors so that they don't fail again. Even though the battery has seen 3.5 years of use, I didn't detect any degradation in performance.

It looks like the connector design of the Triple Shot Pro is superior than this classic version. The Pro version also has the advantage that you don't have to remove the battery pack from your bike in order to charge it. The same connector that goes to the lamp is used to connect to the charger. Of course, the Pro version came out just after I purchased the now classic version.

The Triple Shot Pro is the way to go!

Favorite Trail:   Bay Area Ridge

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Dave S a Weekend Warrior from Vallejo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2010

Strengths:    Works great for commuting, fairly rugged, good light output, reliable charger, NMH battery has held up all these years.

Weaknesses:    Unwrapping the battery pouch to charge it is a real drag, as is removing it and reinstalling it on the bike. Finally, the molded connector from the lamp to the battery is intermittent, and I don't know how to get it replaced. CatEye's support website totally sucks.

Bottom Line:
After getting over the 2 to 3 day per week inconvenience of removing the battery to charge it, then reinstall, I've been fairly happy with this lamp. Except now that one of the connectors has failed, I'm not sure how to get this repaired. This is a very unusual locking connector and I haven't been able to find anything like it from the commercial electronics supply companies.

After buying this model, CatEye came out with the TripleShot Pro, which may address some of these problems.

This is not the brightest light out there, but it's got to be in the top 3. I mostly commute, and I find that by using it during daylight hours too it helps prevent drivers from turning left in front of me.

Favorite Trail:   Bay Area Ridge

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Non-rechargeable bar-mounted headlamps.

Bike Setup:   Aluminum frame, hard tail, 90% commuter.

Submitted by benjamin lovett a Downhiller from nevada city

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2008

Strengths:    great spot that reaches far
long running time much longer than the 3.3 hours on the box

Weaknesses:    no flood! no good as a solo trail light just not enough light I supplement with another light on my helmet. the total system cost as much as a single nice HID or go cheap with a Night Rider classic

Bottom Line:
Great commuter light not good enough for a solo trail light therefore to expensive for what it is

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   night rider classic

Submitted by Alex a Cross Country Rider from San Jose

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    Compact light head, compact battery unit. Excellent build quality, beautiful to look at. Charges very quickly.

The best part is that this light actually lasts 4 whole hours! The claimed burn time is 3.5 and the light actually lasts longer than this. It also seems to be reliable, even after a few rides in the rain. The whole unit is pretty light for what it is and it you mount it on your stem, it's pretty neat and won't get into your way.

Weaknesses:    Not a smart charger, I don't always remember to unplug it on time. If you can remember, then it's not a problem for you.

Sadly, this thing is not very bright. It's not horrible, but I have a single-bulb Blackburn X3 too which is almost as bright as the Triple Shot! I expect more light from 3 LEDs.

Also, this light is too expensive at 320 MSRP, for 200 bucks on eBay, it's an OK deal.

Bottom Line:
If you get this light, you need at least another helmet light to see properly. Do not pay full retail for it, you can get it on eBay for a lot less.

I gets dimmer after 4 hours, but it'll last 4.5 hours before really dying. Not a bad light if you like long rides. Just remember it's not the brightest light out there though.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Blackburn X3.

Bike Setup:   Bianchi cross bike.

Submitted by neal a Weekend Warrior from salt lake city

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Strengths:    provides good light. compact size. appears to be a well designed, high quality product.

Weaknesses:    battery holder interferes somewhat with use of water bottle on downtube. removing the battery for recharge may be a bit of a hassle with all the velcro. instructions are good but hard to read (small print due to multiple languages).

Bottom Line:
i will be able to do a lot more riding at night now. downside is the additional weight. quick and easy installation.

Similar Products Used:   have only used cheap generators in the past. the cateye puts out far more light.

Bike Setup:   10 year old mostly stock stumpjumper, clipless pedals, garmin 305 gps.

Submitted by Don Jaime a Cross Country Rider from Mohill, CA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    Bulletproof. I have made prototypes with the same 3watt Luxeon emitters and they will outlast the batteries and switches and maybe the rider. They are also cheap at under $8.00 a piece.

Weaknesses:    Battery mount is not the cleanest. I would like to see a Lithium battery.

Bottom Line:
I have constructed some single 3 watt Luxeon emitter (LED) prototype lights. Running 3 of these emitters is just right for a handlebar light and Cateye is clever on the optics giving good dispersion with a strong center beam. Compared side to side with a NR Blow Torch HID it is actually quite close, giving up a little in the peripheral light, but definitely in the same ball park. On my last nightride, one guy with a Nightrider HID had his bulb blow, the other guy with a Light and Motion HID was using his light constantly and ran out of juice and it was my Triple Shot leading the parade down the final long downhill. This was an aprox 6 hour ride. Luxeon's atrong points are you can turn it on and off constantly and regulate instensity easily. HID's do not take well to constant on and off switching which decreases bulb life. The other cool thing with LED's is there is no threshold when the batteries weaken. Unlike an HID which gives you it's "rainbow warning" and sputters out, an LED just gradually gets weaker and weaker and stays efficient, so it will give you some light through the entire night. Improvements: Cateye needs to add a low light setting or two which can be done inexpensively. Next I would offer a Lithium battery for lighter weight and improve the battery mount. Still, I consider it one of the best units on the market. When price is factored, it is not even close. I have used HID lights for a long time and that is my honest opinion.

Favorite Trail:   Rocket Ridge

Purchased At:   EBAY (slightly used)

Similar Products Used:   Nightrider Storm HID.

Bike Setup:   X-country

Submitted by Ronny a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Strengths:    Bomb Proof, looks great, super bright white light, nice focus plus flood, solid cabling, 3 hour charge for 4 hours of use on FULL power (only two setting, FULL POWER and OFF, thats all you need)

Weaknesses:    Battery could be lighter. a little expensive if bought from a retail store.

Bottom Line:
Better than Halogen, longer BURN time and looks super cool. Pure white light. BUY it.

Purchased At:   geargurl on EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Halogen 20W, dodgy $50 LED blinkers

Bike Setup: GT Avalanche 0.5 frame, Zocchi fork, FSA 0S-115 stem, FSA K-Force OS carbon flat bars, scandium/titanium seatpost, TIOGA Spyder carbonite saddle, Truvativ stylo cranks, XT casette, X9 rear and triggers, LX front, WTB wheelsets,

Submitted by Ronny a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2006

Purchased At:   geargurl on EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Halogen 20W, dodgy $50 LED blinkers

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 0.5 frame, Zocchi fork, FSA 0S-115 stem, FSA K-Force OS carbon flat bars, scandium/titanium seatpost, TIOGA Spyder carbonite saddle, Truvativ stylo cranks, XT casette, X9 rear and triggers, LX front, WTB wheelsets,

Submitted by spiro vagenas a Racer from denmark

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2006

Strengths:    bright light- so as to be seen; excellent allround construction

Weaknesses:    not enough light to see where you are going

Bottom Line:
I spent allot of time researching which lights I should buy. I finally decided on the cateye triple shot. In Denmark they cost an astronomical 412 dollars. I was confident that because of the company cateye, the look of the product, the price and not least the reviews that I had read of the product that this was the one. This was afterall the latest light technology on the market. That evening after charging them I tested them in my back garden. I was absolutely shocked. I just kept saying to myself that this could not be possible. There was not much more light than my 33$ 2,4watt halogen lights. I don't think I have ever been so dissapointed with anything I had ever bought before. I was extremely gratefull though to be fully refunded.

Favorite Trail:   short&sweet

Purchased At:   vitesse cykler

Similar Products Used:   smart bl-117fh halogen; sigma sport ellipsoid

Bike Setup:   koga-miyata terralineralloy-s (tls)

Submitted by al simmons a Cross Country Rider from texas

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    battery life, durable, bright white light, wide beam w/ a bright center, led

Weaknesses:    short battery connection cable, weak plastic mount, no helment mount

Bottom Line:
I was happy to see a led light hit the market that will allow me to go full speed on the trails. I picked this up and was happy with the bright white light output, but a bar mounted light doesn't always aim were you want to go.... On a singletrack with fast or sharp turns I will not go full speed with just this light. I added a 5 watt led light for my helment and now i can go about 85% at the local tracks. Very hsppy with the product.

I would like to note that the with the short battery cable I have too few options for mounting. Its a real chore to mount this battery pack on my superlight frame while in the dark due to weaving the strap between the cables & frame. Eventually I will extend the cable to give me another mounting option for the battery. I plan on mounting this on my helment for a try sooner or later. The trails I ride on really only require a helment mounted light.

Purchased At:   alfred e bike

Similar Products Used:   homebrew stuff....

Bike Setup:   24lb fs bike

Submitted by James Hancock a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Strengths:    Well made, Lightweight, Durable, Cateye Mount.

Weaknesses:    High UK prices (RRP £349). Having to remove battery and unwrap before charging. No dimming.

Bottom Line:
I paid £220 for this in the UK without resorting to eBay. A mate of mine bought one from the US for $249 (£145) on eBay and was stung with VAT and about £70 in duty charges thanks to UK customs. I think this light compares to a 20-25W halogen but is not as bright as the 10W HID that I also have. Nevertheless, it has proved reliable on 10 rides with no problems even after dropping it and crashing in ditch!. The spread of light is pretty good and more than adequate on pitch dark rides, eg. in the woods. However, I still can't understand the extortionate prices charged in the UK for these as Luxeon III prices are falling fast. I wouldn't recommend using this as a commuter light as it really dazzles oncoming road users and a few have sworn at me! Hence a dimmer would be useful. Halve the UK price and it gets 5 Habaneros!

Purchased At:   Swinnerton Cycles, UK

Similar Products Used:   Trailtech HID

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500

Submitted by Phil a Racer from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2006

Strengths:    Durability and light battery

Weaknesses:    It's not a smart charger. It's fast but you have to be on the ball to remove the battery when its charged. No auto shut off or drop off to trickle like my light and motion. Brightness compared to a 13.5w HID

Bottom Line:
The durability of LED emitters was the primary attraction. Unfortunately and unintentionally I tested the triple shot after its maiden journey when I dropped it from waist height on a concrete floor. No damage. Two weeks prior to that I dropped my Light and Motion HID in the same way and the filament broke off. Maybe you’re more graceful than me but I know that I’m eventually going to drop my mountain bike light so I need it to survive. I bought the triple shot and the Petzl Myo XP which uses one of the same 3w emitters that triple shot uses. The two lights combined weigh the same as my Ni MH Light and Motion and cost less too. The combined light is very close to the 13.5 w HID.

Favorite Trail:   Hawes Loop

Purchased At:   thebikerack online

Similar Products Used:   10/15 W halogen... Light & Motion HID

Bike Setup:   Ibis Ripley, Marathon fork etc.

Submitted by Dan C. a Cross Country Rider from Aptos, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    Easy setup. Very bright. Great light for your handlebar. Stays cool. I was hoping it would heat up to use as a hand warmer, no such luck. Smart battery charger. It was as bright as any of the HID lights I have seen at night.
Very light weight and compact. It has run 3.5 hours with no dimming.
The battery charges in 2 to 3 hours. First charge took about 5 hours.
Instant on and off.

Weaknesses:    Cable could be longer. But I mounted the battery on the bottom of the stem, works great and keeps the cables out of the way. The battery is kept in a neoprene bag with velcro straps. This could wear out quickly.

Bottom Line:
Very good light. I would purchase it again. Inexpensive because I used an Ebay coupon. I will be getting a spot for the helmet.

Favorite Trail:   Nisene Marks

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye stadium light. Normal cheap crappy lights.

Bike Setup:   Slingshot 29er and Piss Off 29er.

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2005

Strengths:    Bright, white light; locking-cable; sealed headlamp; quick charging; lasts 3+ hours.

Weaknesses:    Recharge requires you to unwrap the pack to access the second cord. (It's too bad they didn't make it use the same plug.)
Would like a longer power cord and a helmet mount.

Bottom Line:
This is a great commuter light: bright, won't jiggle loose, and burns 3+ hours. The beam's got a nice spot, with a tight, but functional spread.

Favorite Trail:   Bellingham to Ilwaco

Purchased At:   Alfred E. Bike

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Opticube (with 15-minute rechargable NiMH AA cells), Performance ViewPort

Bike Setup:   Bike Friday Air Glide as my primary commuter/travel/long-distance bike.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Yokohama, Japan

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    Really bright with good peripheral illumination as well. Relatively lightweight and looks cool.

Weaknesses:    Battery pack is a little clunky and not sure how waterproof it'll be in the rain. Cable, while not short, could be onger. More mounting options (ie on rack) would have been nice. Expensive.

Bottom Line:
Only used this light for a short time but initial impression is very good. Not perfect but plenty bright. Feels a lot safer riding at night now.