CatEye TL-LD600 Lights

3.77/5 (31 Reviews)
Weight : 37 grams MSRP : $20.00

The brightest of Cat Eye's Tail lights with 5 LED's. Easily mounts to a seatpost or seat stay with a universal mounting bracket. Four mode options allow the LD-600 to switch between flashing, constant, side to side, and random illumination.
o 5 LED (25,000 MCD)
o universal mounting band (23.5-30.5mm)
o 30 hours run time (flashing) 15 hrs (constant)
o Battery: AAA x2 (LR-03)

Submitted by MildT a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2011

Strengths:    It's bright, it flashes

Weaknesses:    Stupid, mount

Bottom Line:
Had I known this light came with this ridiculous mounting strap I would never have bought it. The strap sticks out and rubs on your leg - you can cut it, but then the edges are sharp and scratchy. I ended up cutting the majority of the excess strap off, then taped it down with electric tape. I dunno, maybe I'm missing something obvious in the setup, but as it stands I see this as a big minus. Other than that, the light is bright and it flashes, just like any other rear light.

Favorite Trail:   Stromlo

Similar Products Used:   Heaps of rear lights, no light seams to stand out over any other...

Submitted by BigWall a Weekend Warrior from White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2010

Strengths:    Very bright for the money.
Durable

Weaknesses:    Tough to mount unless you use the seatpost.
Not all rechargable batteries will fit.

Bottom Line:
I own and use 5 or 6 of these lights.
Hard to find a better light for the price.
I've spent many hours riding in the rain and snow and have had no problems, but then again I use fenders.
Many imported rechargable batteries are too long to fit it, but Rayovac NiMh cells have worked fine. I had to make special mounts for under the rear racks.
The quick release is nice for shopping trips - one can just stick it in one's pocket.
Sure, a person can buy a better light, but only if one is willing to spend a lot more money.

Favorite Trail:   unknown

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cheap chinese stuff

Bike Setup:   Various bikes with fenders and rear racks

Submitted by braston a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2008

Strengths:    I own several of these. They are absolutely the brightest taillight out there and can be seen for over a mile. I always ride with at least two at night and have even used them during the day in heavy traffic. One gentleman told me he could see it for several blocks when I was using it on a sunny daytime ride. The batteries last for several months. I use the 5-light constant flash - it seems to get the most attention.

Weaknesses:    The original bracket is horrible, so do yourself a favor and go to http://www.cateye.com/store/parts.php?cid=3_33 and buy the $1.00 belt clip. I bought several (they work with other Cateye taillights as well). With the belt clip, I attach two lights side by side on the back of my saddlebag light loop or can put them on my backpack. This allows you to switch from bike to bike in about 3 seconds.

Bottom Line:
Buy this light or the new LD610 model and be safe!

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Several others including other Cateye models. This one's the best... I anxious to try the new Cateye LD610... it's supposed to be even brighter.

Bike Setup:   Surly Cross Check, Specialized Epic Expert, Cervelo R3

Submitted by Joe Murphy a Weekend Warrior from Omagh

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2008

Strengths:    Really bright light, get the attention so that it does the job. It is visible for hundreds of metres, and up close it is blinding even if your eyes aren't used to the dark.

Weaknesses:    The waterproofing could be better, my contacts are slightly corroded after 2 years of use, however for the price it's not really bad performance. The switch is prone to accidental triggering in a bag or pocket - a recess would be nice but it's not hard to turn one of the batteries around when in storage.

Bottom Line:
Good light for the money, bright, easy to operate from the riding position, installs neatly behind seatpost, economical as batteries last for ages. If I lost mine I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Favorite Trail:   Gortin Glens - Co Tyrone

Purchased At:   Belfast

Similar Products Used:   Blackburns Halfords and dynamo incandescents

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    Bright, weighs little, Waterproofness!

Bottom Line:
Great light and definitely worth its price tag. People complain abouts its waterproofness, but I've had no such problems despite using it for cycle touring (try the West Coast of New Zealand and Tasmania for wet!!), and commuting come rain or shine.

I've only ever used one setting and that is flashing on the brightest, and I mount it vertically. Batteries last about 40 to 50 hours. It the pitch darkness, it gives a big burst of red light which can be seen from a significant distance.

Mounting has not been a problem as I've used it on my seat-post and above the wheel on the seat stays on various bikes. Can't be fitted to clothing, helmet or pannier racks without some sort of alterations to the mounting bracket. Quick release mechanism works well, but the light generally stays on the bike 100% of the time.

I reckon that this is the best AAA battery rear light on the market (the qualification is that I've recently upgraded to the Dinotte LiIon Rear Light which is basically a rear light on "Stage 16 Landis" steroids, but then you're paying the price)!

Similar Products Used:   SigmaSport CubeRider

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200, Trek 1500 - commuting, Giant ATX890 - touring & MTBing.

Submitted by spiro vagenas a Weekend Warrior from denmark

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2007

Strengths:    brightness, design/look
weight

Weaknesses:    Cateye went to a lot of trouble to find the worst mounting bracket possible.

Bottom Line:
A great tail light at a fair price.

Favorite Trail:   equinox

Purchased At:   wiggle.com

Similar Products Used:   some cheapies & the Cateye TL LD1000

Bike Setup:   Koga-Miyata tla-s

Submitted by jo a Racer from England

Date Reviewed: October 12, 2005

Strengths:    Brightness

Weaknesses:    fixing

Bottom Line:
I changed the fixing on the 600 for a plastic version from another cateye - it works fine.

Very bright, not quite as bright as the TL-1000 but a lot cheaper!

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I'm currently using the Cateye TL-1000 in conjunction with the 600. Both are very bright and the TL-1000 just about beats it for brightness, but also has a larger "light area" so it appears even brighter at a distance.

Submitted by Robert a Weekend Warrior from Sydney Australia

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2005

Strengths:    BRIGHT, cheap, slimline,

Weaknesses:    bracket a little loose

Bottom Line:
excellent light for the price, i have used a number of cheap lights and they just fell apart... not sure what people are whingeing about, this light is great value and bright for the size and weight of it... if you are in Australia.. buy it!

Favorite Trail:   any close

Purchased At:   Phantom Cycles

Similar Products Used:   old 3LED cateye, various other cheapie lights

Bike Setup:   Giant CRX1

Submitted by Froze a Racer from Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2005

Strengths:    Extremily bright and the little AAA batteries last a long time.

Weaknesses:    none...yet!

Bottom Line:
I went to several LBS's looking at a whole bunch of different taillights and this one was by far the brightest even when viewed from the side, so bright it will hurt your eyes if you look straight on into it; and the price was right. Since I bought this light an even brighter Cateye (TL-LD1000) came out, but I can't imagine why anyone would want something brighter then this TL-LD600!

I had no problems with the mounting brackets as some reported, but I did cut a thin strip of rubber from a tube to give it more grip because it would slide around.

I found the best way to mount the light for visiblity from all sides was vertical, this angle allowed all 5 LED's to be readily seen from not just the rear but the sides as well; when mounted horizontally the light given off to the sides was very dim. I mounted mine on the seat tube just below the seat post so I could clear the seat bag.

I don't usually ride in the rain but got caught in a unexpected down pour and the light did not leak, hopefully that's a trend! But after reading the reviews about others leaking I may seal it with some Shoe Goo. Also the mode button does not seem cheaply made to me and is still wrking after 2 years. The plastic lens seems cheap, but I dropped it about 3 feet onto concrete striking the lens and nothing happened except some minor scratches. I don't care for all the modes because I want it to do is one mode-flash.

For $18 it's an outstanding value for a taillight that will let others see you long before they could with other taillights.

Favorite Trail:   roads in Northern Indiana

Similar Products Used:   Vistalite

Bike Setup:   Trek 660

Submitted by 9W6VX a Weekend Warrior from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2004

Strengths:    Very bright
Battery life

Weaknesses:    None that I have personally experienced yet but my mate's had some problems with water entering the unit. It's non-servicable as far as I can make out.

Bottom Line:
Worthy to use and gives you the safety factor making you easily noticeable to other road users.

If I remember correctly, it's also value for money but I can't exactly recall how much I exactly paid for it. I think it's approximately USD$15 or thereabout.

Would have given 5 chilis for overall rating if it is more water resistant. Refer to my comment above.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper Pro 2004

Submitted by Gregg Pedder a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2004

Strengths:    Brightness. This light is almost blinding if looked at directly on a dark night. Great for rear visibility, and really convinient to mount vertically on the back of the seatpost. Cheap, I only paid £10 and that is excellent value.

Weaknesses:    Bracket. I junked it immediately and mounted the light with a proper cateye clamp which actually holds the light extremely securely.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic light, and is fine for the everyday commuter.

I wish people would stop moaning about it not being waterproof. For the price WHO CARES. This problem can be extremely easily rectified with 12 inches of Insulating tape or PVC tape wrapped aroung the join and over the battery compartment. I did this and have been on many a wet ride and the light is still fine, totally dry inside.

Also if the switch is crap, put the light in a box when removed from the bike. But then some people are never happy.

£10. If it only lasts six months throw it and buy another. It isn't exactly going to break the bank.

Favorite Trail:   Roadie!!

Purchased At:   Midleton Cycles, Ormskirk

Similar Products Used:   Cateye LD-120

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sirrus Sport (Winter bike)

Submitted by Diverjun23 a Weekend Warrior from Makati City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2004

Strengths:    Compact and bright light!

Bottom Line:
I'm a bike commuter and its no joke trying to dash away from darting cars and buses here in the Philippines. I like this tail light as it gives a fairly decent light that warns all the a@$*&&*s... i mean the drivers of cars and buses... that I have the right of way too and am on the road! So far, its a big help for me when I bike commute.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Makiling, Sta.Rosa Trails, Maarat Trails, and Bike Commuting

Purchased At:   Paulina's Bike Shop

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Moab 3 with Shimano Alivio group and WTB EnduroRaptor 2.2 tires

Submitted by muckspreader a Racer from new forest, dorset, uk

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Strengths:    Very bright. Slim design means neat mounting behind seatpost.

Weaknesses:    Not waterproof, rubbish switch.

Bottom Line:
This light is total crap. Did'nt even last one winter before I gave up with having to dry it out or take the batteries out to switch it off. It is not even nearly waterproof and the switch design is pathetic. I junked the rubbishy Chinese made no tool bracket and fitted it to my seatpost with the proper Cat-Eye clamp. Do not even think about buying this if you might even get damp. Proper high end Cat-Eye products remain good as are still made in Japan but the cheaper Chinese sourced products should be avoided as are badly made.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Smart, Eurolight.

Bike Setup:   Fast commuter.

Submitted by Simon a Cross Country Rider from Portsmouth, UK

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2003

Strengths:    Bright.
Versatile mounting (horizontal or vertical).
Locks into mount (wont fly out).
Various LED modes.

Weaknesses:    Not very waterproof!
Awkward mounting strap - difficult to get tight.
Weak brittle mounting strap - easily broken.

Bottom Line:
Good bright light but mounting strap is awkward and made of a very brittle plastic (not like a normal zip-tie) a really slow crash totally snapped the bracket - luckily Wiggle sell Cateye spares.

One trip out in heavy rain and the light stopped working - water had got inside the lens. Had to break it apart and let it dry for a couple of days - started working again but now I am going to have to try and glue it together and attempt to seal it properly.

Good light but loses several chilis due to it's poor bracket and lack of waterproofness - essential for British weather!

Favorite Trail:   Kingly Vale/Lake District

Purchased At:   www.wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Halfords own LED light.

Bike Setup:   GT Backwoods, Rock Shox XC

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, Ireland

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2003

Strengths:    Very bright with fresh batteries,
slim and unobtrusive when mounted vertically behind seatpost
very simple bracket, either horizontal or vertical

Weaknesses:    ALWAYS switches itself on in my bag
battery life not amazing
seems to lose initial brightness after a short while, then works ok for the rest of the time

Bottom Line:
I dont like the rain so this light hasnt seen much of it and hasnt failed when i am caught in rain
The simple bracket that hasnt given me any problems.
It would benefit from a recessed switch for obvious reasons..
However it is very easy to change modes while moving, to adjust to darkness & traffic etc..
Battery life isnt fantastic, but works fairly well.

Bottom line, an ok cheap bright light thats pretty much same as rest of them. Ideally Id have as small a rear light as possible, and tucked up under the saddle,basically fit and forget.. Id like to try the cygolite mitryrad but cant get it here

Purchased At:   bike shop