CatEye HL-EL410 Lights

3.14/5 (7 Reviews)

The Compact Opticube light sets a new standard in size, brightness and versatility. With batteries, it weighs only 78 grams, and it's only 9.3 cm long. That's 2.6 ounces and 3.7 inches - much smaller (and brighter) than an energy bar. Three ultra bright LEDs are magnified with our Opticube lens and reflector to produce more than 180

Submitted by Paul0 a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2009

Strengths:    light weight, small, easily mounted on helmet

Weaknesses:    not very bright. This light is not good if you're riding on a road/trail that you do not know well or that has many obstacles, since its light output is somewhat feeble.

Bottom Line:
I like this light because it's small and light enough that I can routinely keep it in my handlebar bag. My riding is divided between bicycle commuting and long weekend rail trail/road rides. Mostly I ride during daylight, but sometimes I work late or a long ride extends into dusk, and it's handy to have a light. If I had a heavier light, it would get left at home more often.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   I used to use a handlebar light, but my handlebar bag blocked it. A helmet-mounted light works better.

Bike Setup:   Trek touring bike w handlebar bag

Submitted by chephy a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, ON, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2009

Strengths:    * good light output (for size and price)
* batteries last forever
* durable
* waterproof
* can be mounted on handlebars or helmets and moved from bike to bike easily
* light and compact

Weaknesses:    * some relatively minor mount issues (see full review)

Bottom Line:
I am quite pleased with this light. It gives out a very nicely focussed beam that makes it easy for others to see you. There is a steady mode and a flashing mode (I usually use flashing to attract attention). Mind you, it's not going to light up a dark trail or road for you, but in a well-lit city I need lights primarily so that others can see me, and this light does the job.

There is a little metal pin that's part of the mount and that seems to want to move off-centre sometimes. It's never actually came close to falling out though, and it's easily pushed back into proper position. Also, before I figured out a good way to arrange the straps of the mount, the light would always tilt downward on bumps. However, I played with it some and found a good way to position the straps (make one end shorter than the other - and I've had no trouble since, the light sits on handlebars very securely. Yet it's easy to remove and reinstall. Transferring it between bikes is very easy and requires no additional mounting brackets.

Riding in the rain does it no harm. Batteries last a long time.

In short, I'm very pleased. Don't get this if you need to actually see in a dark environment, but if you just need others to see you, this light works great.

Purchased At:   Urbane Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   PB front lights (similar price and power)

Submitted by abie915 a Cross Country Rider from MAnhattan, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2008

Strengths:    Light, long battery life, very nice rocker switch

Weaknesses:    Non quick-release mount, mount feels somewhat fragile

Bottom Line:
This light is bright enough to get noticed by cars and pedestrians, but don't expect it to light up your way. If you ride at night in an urban area with street lights, this works fine.

I wish this came with a quick release. Taking this thing off every time I leave it on campus gets old quickly.

Submitted by vazquezela Bonchiuhapua a Downhiller from Florida

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Strengths:    Small, Cheap and bright enough to be seen.

Weaknesses:    I guess you could always use more light.

Bottom Line:
This light is used to be seen while riding through the city at night. It is not powerfull enough to use as a serious night trial riding light, its only $35 what do you expect? but it will work great as a backup. Overall it is a great commuter light to be used in well lit areas.

On a side note I use mine on my Freeride rig so it gets slammed around all night, I only need to adjust the angle after landing flat off a drop or if I land sloppy off a kicker. So suck it up!

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Many other small lights

Bike Setup:   Transition bottlerocket

Submitted by john hawkins a Cross Country Rider from Sydney NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2007

Strengths:    Nice bright light is visible from distance. Waterproof! Does not die if used in the rain

Weaknesses:    The tool-free mount sucks. I mean, it really sucks. Every time I go over small bumps or ruts the light ends up flopping down and pointing at the ground about 4 feet in front of my wheel.

Bottom Line:
The light is bright enough to do its job of keeping you seen on suburban streets at night. The 50m waterproof rating means I can use it free from worry that it will fail in the rain like all the others I have used before it. However, I would not use it as my sole source of lighting.

Unfortunately, the tool-free camlock mount is a complete failure - I simply cannot keep the light pointed in the right direction. Pointing at the ground is no good - unless it points parallel to the road all its other great features are useless!

There is an optional screw-lock mount made but my country's national distributor does not import it. Does anyone know where I can get one?

Favorite Trail:   Manly Dam Sydney

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Multiple other brands that have all died from being used while riding in the rain

Bike Setup:   2006 Tyax Super upgraded with Hayes 9 hydros and road slicks (commuter); Cannondale Jekyll 800 (trails)

Submitted by Bubbolo a Weekend Warrior from Italy

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Strengths:    Simple, well made, good light for the value. I use it in pair with good feeling.

Weaknesses:    Collar

Bottom Line:
I do not like collar, it's stenght but i don't like the design.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler, xtr, Formula K24, FOX float rlc, Mavic ST.

Submitted by Jim from Melbourne Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    Mounting bracket is simple & works well. Product is compact, light-weight and well-made.

Weaknesses:    Not bright enough.

Bottom Line:
It simply isn't bright enough to be used as a primary light. IMO, whenever battery-powered lights are used, it's a good idea to have a back up. The EL410 is small and low weight, so it's well suited for use as a back up. If your primary light dies, it'll get you home.