CatEye HL-EL400 Lights

The Compact Opticube Head Light weighs just 78 grams with batteries and is only 9.3cm in length. The three ultra bright white LEDs are magnified using the Opticube lens and reflector technology to put out over 90 candlepower. The innovative magnetic switch allows it to achieve a waterproof seal to 50 meters/ 165 feet. The unique, built-in mount and strap can be adjusted to fit different size bars, and can be rotated to mount the light on a handlebar, a stem, or even on a helmet.

Submitted by Laurence a Cross Country Rider from Woking, England

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2010

Strengths:    Waterproof, small, light

Weaknesses:    Bracket could be better (takes a while to remove/install on bike) and it's not hugely bright - sufficient to stop me stacking it in total darkness however.

Bottom Line:
Don't see why it's been given such bad reviews - it's not incredibly bright, but it's so versatile - you can use it as a flashlight just as easily, and the flashing mode on it makes you stand out to motorists. I was very pleased with my purchase.

Purchased At:   Evans

Bike Setup:   Pinnacle Peak 2.0 2010

Submitted by Silentfoe a Cross Country Rider from Eagle Mountain

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Strengths:    Super light, cheap, long burn time

Weaknesses:    Cheap, blue LED light?

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for. I bought two of these to double mount on my bar. I rode a tough trail that night on a two hour ride and they worked flawlessly. I was dissapointed that the LED was blue and not the standard white and they were suprisingly dim compared to other LED's I own. I figure oh well, I didn't pay much for them and they worked pretty well coupled with a headlamp. They didn't dim at all over the two hour ride and the mounts didn't slip at all. I may post again after a few more rides.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge trail 157

Purchased At:   Utah Mountain Biking

Similar Products Used:   Marwi

Bike Setup:   Cannondale hardtail

Submitted by Andynash a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT,USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2007

Strengths:    Waterproof, compact

Weaknesses:    switch, mounting strap

Bottom Line:
I used it for about 2 weeks and the switching mechanism fell off. It didn't even go through any kind of trauma or anything, I just went to turn it on and the swith was lying on the ground. After the switch fell off I found out that I could turn it on using a magnet though, so I didn't send it back.
The Mounting strap didn't always stay put, especially over bumps. I tried it tighter and looser and it wasn't very secure.
This light would be 5 flamin' chilis plus if those two problems were fixed.

Favorite Trail:   MOAB