CatEye HL-500K Lights

1.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The HL-500 Halogen has been the standard in bike lights for over ten years. Owned by over 10 million cyclists, the HL-500 provides 1,000 candlepower of light using two "C" batteries. Side light markers provide additional illumination from the right and left for nighttime visibility. The HL-500 is a night commuter's dream.

The HL-500 Krypton provides all the great features of the HL-500, but replaces the halogen bulb with a more economical Krypton bulb. Now you can have all the features of Cat Eye's popular HL-500 at a slightly lower price

Submitted by Mike Danko a Cross Country Rider from Columbus, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap, Cheap, Cheap.

Weaknesses:    Cheap, Cheap, Cheap

Bottom Line:
This was bought in a pack with the TL-LD120III-R to put on my commuter beater so I could meet Ohio's legal requirements and avoid being turned into roadkill by a snowplow. It's VERY obvious that I can't rate this as some kind of trail light, as it can't possibly be for the price, but for a beater commuter, this is really perfect. The pattern isn't all that wide, but I'm more concerned with people seeing me than me seeing things.

I wasn't sure whether to rate the fact that this runs on commodity C batteries as a plus, as the 8 hours I get out of them is kind of crap, but you do have the advantage of never having to worry about replacing some expensive battery pack. I popped a rechargable battery charger on the wall at work, and I've been good to go since.

The krypton bulb is bright enough to about blind you at 30 feet, if you can get it aimed correctly. This is much brighter than the flashlight you have in your junk drawer.

Yes, this light is sort of junk, but for $10, it meets my purposes and I wouldn't feel all that bad if it was stolen or broken. Great for a commuter/beaterbike, bad for the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Daily Commute

Purchased At:   Galyans

Bike Setup:   1990 Schwinn Mirada, Body Geometry saddle

Submitted by dougmt a Cross Country Rider from montana

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2003

Strengths:    VERY inexpensive. Excellent on/off button. Nice mounting system.

Weaknesses:    Very poor illumination.

Bottom Line:
This light sucks. Seriously. It simply does not emit much of a beam of light. I bought two of them to replace the weathered walmart cheapys. The walmart cheapys are easily twice the light of these. The beam is a spot light.. a dim spot light, when compared to the wider, brighter, light of the walmart cheapy. I purchased rechargable batteries for the lights and actually took the batteries back thinking it was the rechargeable alkalines that were to blame... nope, the best energizers didn't help.
Save your money, the only thing that doesn't make me mad about the purchase is the fact that nashbar had them for $5.99 a piece, I now know why. Looks like the kids get some new lights to play with.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Next brand brand walmart light. 4 AA batteries.

Bike Setup:   Touring