Brightstar Levin Lights

Submitted by Douglas a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Vic, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent battery life
Good battery mounting options

Weaknesses:    Heavy light assembly
high helmet mount

Bottom Line:
I got this light to use as a helmet light while doing night Cross-country.
I read the comments here about the switch on the battery. so I mounted the battery on the strap of my hydration pack - opposite the hose, (switch down - as it is recessed) and ran the cable through the Hose hole on that side - works a treat.
The cable has two plugs, one near the bulb, one near the battery. This is great. I can detach the helmet from the pack, and detach the battery for charging, and do creative things with cable routing.
But the bulb assembly is really too heavy for a helmet light. I'd like to mount it low to avoid catching branches, but that puts too much weight on the front of the helmet. ( the light protrudes 80-100mm in front of the helmet )
The Light mount has swivel left-right as well as up-down, and it's not designed as low-profile, so, if i mounted it on top of the helmet (with the bulb horizontally, the top of the bulb would be 10cm (4inches) above the helmet.
I'm probably going to mount my nightflux HID on the helmet and put this on the bar.
Ok, the filters are a good idea, but they are flexible plastic that are held in with a 3mm thick plastic ring that locks in the front of the bulb - which cuts the field of illumination (at least 1m off the edge at 10m). I decided I'd rather have a wider field of view, so left the lock ring and filters at home.
The Illumination is as good as my nightflux HID, and much better battery life.
(well the nightflux is only rated at about 2 hours and I got the 3.5hr version of the Levin)
the light housing doesn't get very warm, I was able to grab it and point it up or down, to chat to people without worrying about getting a hot hand
So. It should make a great bar light, But I wouldn't recommend it as a helmet light, unless you've got good neck muscles, or a helmet that's got a bit of weight at the back that needs balancing ;)

Favorite Trail:   Off main Yarra near Diamond Ck.

Purchased At:   www.LuxHid.com.au

Similar Products Used:   Nightflux hid

Bike Setup:   Giant Tcr C2 Road
Giant Trance X1 mountain

Submitted by allen mack a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Price, great burn times, with round battery, over 4 hours. Light output.

Weaknesses:    Both mounts, connector, power switch on battery is a minor nuisance. Fragile lamp, my one lasted about 30 hours.

Bottom Line:
This light does give a good beam for the price,Far brighter than any of the cateyes I had, but the one I had did not like being ridden on rocky terrain. (Maybe I was just unlucky)Pefect for unlit roads and smoother forest trails. Burn time was great and the car charger could be a handy accesory.

Favorite Trail:   WHW

Purchased At:   Online Ebay UK

Similar Products Used:   Triple shot, double shot, triple shot pro.

Bike Setup:   Hardtail 853 steel, manitous, hope discs and wheels, eggbeaters.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Albany, NY

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    High output and long life

Weaknesses:    On off toggle switch is on the battery pack, not the light fixture.

Bottom Line:
The light performs like you would expect an HID to perform, Very bright, this one is only a little dimmer than the NiteRider, but has a wider view. I would definitely recomend this light to anyone who cannot afford to spend the 250 on an HID, but the light switch being on the battery pack irritates me to no end, because when riding at night with friends I like to turn it off while waiting for others so as to keep from blinding them and to conserve battery. Batter has run for 3 hours straight without dying though.

I am rating based on HID's only, as they are in their own group. This is not the best HID, but will certainly outperform most Halogen or LED based lighting systems.

Purchased At:   Online Auction

Similar Products Used:   Niterider HID's

Bike Setup:   Trek liquid 55, DHX 5.0 shock, Fox 36 RC2 Talas

Mission Peak to Ed Levin Park

I finally got around to circling Mission Peak and Ed Levin park. I entered Mission Peak through the Ohlone college side and traversed out of Ed Levin in Milpitas. This was my first trip around the parks. On the Ed Levin side, I got a little confused and ended up coming down the trail marked for h ... Read More »

Ed Levin to MP

I've heard talk about Ed Levin connecting to MP and I'm curious if anyone here has done this ride before. If so, interested in doing it again?Read More »

Hi, I'm looking for opinions and thoughts for BS Levin Led-12

Hi Everyone, First i would like to say Hello to you all, and also would like to ask if anyone here has any opinions or thoughts about BRIGHTSTARS' LEVIN LED-12 bike lights. Thanks in advanceRead More »

Hi, has anyone tried the Brightstar's Levin LED-12?

Hi Guys, Im new to this forum, just here to say hello, Also just wondering if any1 has tried the "Brightstar's [COLOR="Red"]Levin[/COLOR] LED-12"? any reviews? [url]http://www.brightstar-hid.com/product_info_e.php?UID=868[/url] cheers :)Read More »

Ed Levin Park in Milpitas

I work pretty close to [URL="http://www.sccgov.org/SCC/docs%2FParks%20and%20Recreation%2C%20Department%20of%20%28DEP%29%2Fattachments%2F644507Levin%20Brochure.pdf"]Ed Levin Park[/URL] in Milpitas, and I was thinking this might be a good place to get in a quick 1hr lunchtime bike ride. Anybody r ... Read More »