BLT Lights X-Ray NH45 Lights

-Versatile Low Profile helmet mounting system
-Smart Charger with Trickle feature

Submitted by electrik a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2010

Strengths:    At the time, 15w mode was great.
NiMH battery was not a heavy system.

Weaknesses:    Digital sensor and controls.
Poor charger?
Vanishing act by BLT corporation after selling me snake oil.

Bottom Line:
I spent a lot of money on it at the time, i'll never dabble in high-end lights again. I still have no answers as to why this light died so quickly, but it only runs at 5w mode which for a halogen isn't so bright. Because I blew the lighting budget on this I was forced many times to deal with poor lighting. I don't care if the odd Magicshine battery melts in the charger - i'll use a steel box because so far the "crappy" $90 magicshine has lasted longer than a $230 "All Canadian" one. I keep BLT's light as a backup instead of tossing it in the landfill

Similar Products Used:   Niterider, Magicshine

Submitted by jetskibum30 a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    Bright light and battery was not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    The switch broke that turns the light on about 1.5 years after I bought it. I was not able to contact the company so I had to buy a whole new system even though the battery and bulb were still ok. Needless to say I went with a different company on my new purchase.

Bottom Line:
Broke too soon for what I paid and I couldn't get it fixed so I don't recommend it.

Similar Products Used:   light and motion

Submitted by Brian from Bc Canada

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2007

Strengths:    Nice light when it's working, great beam, perfect light distirbution

Weaknesses:    battery bites, 15W setting won't work when the battery is cold - I resorted to keeping hot water in my camel pack to keep it warm. I've sent the battery back twice, they say there is no issue with it. Wrong answer.

Bottom Line:
If they could fix their issues with the batteries, I'd buy another one. On the 15W setting It's a better set up than the HID's that I've tried because it's not so finicky. Overall, not a stisfied customer.

Similar Products Used:   Previous BLT's

Submitted by Jonesy a Weekend Warrior from Ancaster, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2004

Strengths:    - you can't find me in the dark
- low power sensor works perfectly
- does not attract bugs or deer at 5 Watts

Weaknesses:    - burn times
- smart charger has a low IQ
- low power sensor works perfectly
- battery doesn't hold a charge

Bottom Line:
This light is like eating Bits and Bites. Even though the LCD on the dumb charger (I mean smart charger) indicates a full charge, I never know what 15 watt burn time I am going to get each time I ride. Sometimes it is 10 minutes, sometimes it is a half hour, sometimes it is an hour and a half. Rest assured it is never the 2 hours + claimed by the manufacturer. As a result, I usually spend most of my ride at 5 watts thanks to the nifty low charge sensor that just happens to function perfectly and pops you down to 5 watts and never allows you to switch back to 15 watts. The benefits of 5 watts of power are.......a)you still have enough light to see your buddy in front of you so you can follow him home.... and b)you should have enough light to find the curb out front of your house when you are putting this light out with the rest of your garbage.

Favorite Trail:   Any single track

Purchased At:   Local Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   - flashlight

Bike Setup:   - Trek Fuel 95, stock, XT and Bontrager components

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    • Very bright, white light for 15W
• Easy to control switch with gloves on
• Simple battery care with the "smart charger"
• Good run time
• Lightweight, compact battery
• Helmet mount quickly adjusts

Weaknesses:    Small nic pics include:
• Wire is a little short
• Included initial charging instructions not clear
• Customer service did not respond to questions sent on web site

Bottom Line:
I've had this light for nearly 2 weeks now and I think it's a great performing light system. The NiMH battery pack is a real improvement over the older heavy, finiky lead acid batteries. A side by side, on the trail comparison to the Night Hawk Dual Head showed the BLT XRay to appear much brighter and whiter even though it's rated wattage is less (the Night Hawk is 10 and 20W). Also has a larger cone of light. I think the listed price is $240CND but your LBS will most certainly give you a deal.

Given the problems that other reviewers state here, it sounds like there may be some quality control issues. While my BLTs have (so far) worked as advertised, my riding partner also picked up a BLT XRay and it had a dud battery (charger light stayed red). The LBS swapped it on the spot (yea LBS!), and so far it's been fine.

Also, the instructions included in the box for first time charge are a little vague and do not emphasize enough the importance of a full discharge first, then a full 10 hour UNINTERRUPTED charge. You must do this 3-5 times to maximize the battery capacity. If you interrupt the charge in the first 3-5 cycles, it resets the circutry in the battery and will not get a maximum charge and you have to start again. After that you can charge at any time without affecting battery performance. There is more info on their website on this.

Purchased At:   $180CND inc tax.

Similar Products Used:   looked at the Night Hawk Dual Head as a cheap option ($100CDN!). I think the extra $80 I spent on the BLT XRay was worth it though now.

Bike Setup:   Giant AC

Submitted by Rico Johnson a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2004

Strengths:    Box propoganda fooled me into thinking it would be a good product

Weaknesses:    - Low battery life
- No Beam adjustment
- Battery completly died after 8 cycles

Bottom Line:
After going through 2 lead acid batteries in a short time, I figured an NH battery with "digital technology" and a "Smart Charger", would avoid pre-mature death of the Battery. No such luck. I followed the instructions to the T and now the Battery is completely dead.
I took it back to the store - and they are going to follow up with BLT - but after reading the reviews on the other BLT's - I won't hold my Breath.

DON'T BUY BLT. You'd think I would have figured this out the first 2 times!

Favorite Trail:   Don Valley

Purchased At:   Europe bound

Similar Products Used:   - BLT Lead Acid (2)Firefly I think.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain

Submitted by Terry a Cross Country Rider from courtice

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2003

Strengths:    -bright light weight compared to lead acid

Weaknesses:    battery to long for shirt pocket, last years battery was smaller, velco strap sucks compared to the firefly,the adjustment for up & down doesn't have enough up, I had to shim the front with a pc. of foam,BLT doesn;t include the plastic stick on clip for rear of helmet for wire anymore.expensive!

Bottom Line:
Nextime I'm spending the $ and getting a HID storm. If you can find a firefly they work good for the money

Favorite Trail:   Sedona Az.

Purchased At:   NORTHERN CYCLE!

Similar Products Used:   BLT 10W firefly (good value) Nite rider digital headtrip(poor) MANY bar lites

Bike Setup:   Razorback & FUEL