BLT Lights Gamma-Ray NH40 Lights

-Low Profile Quick Release Handlebar Mount
-Smart Charger with Trickle feature

Submitted by Brian a Downhiller from Kelowna BC Canada

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2007

Strengths:    Nice light when the 15W is working

Weaknesses:    Battery never has worked, I get under 5min of 15W burn time when its cold (and I only use my lights in the winter so it's basically useless).

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it, I know you can't get these new anymore(thank christ) but if you see one on e-bay or on a post - stay clear - it's absolute garbage. Whoever wrote teh positive reviews is either super lucky - hooting crack in their spare time. It's really too bad that they f'd up the battery - I did like the light at 15W - not too wide and not a spot either.

Submitted by Travis a Downhiller from North Bay ontario canada

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2005

Strengths:    design: compact, durable and light weight. Easy mounting and i get the option of mounting it on my bars or helmet.

Weaknesses:    when you are running it through its first few cycles (i did so by just turning it on while i did my homework) the light got really damn hot, and i mean if i licked my finger and touched the netal ring it would fizzle my nizzle. so dont let it run near your favorite slush pants.

Bottom Line:
reading these reviews really surprised me. however i dont have the exact model most of you have purchased. i have the 05 model with the compact battery. the battery is about the size of one of those new gameboys, the ones that fold out. Ive had no problems. i havent really had the opportunity to ride my bike with it yet but it works amazing on my snowmachine, and lets just say i dont usually got that fast on my bike. i Love the new batteries, definately but like previosly stated the blt manual for charging isnt realy up to par. overall the model i purchased is top notch. i was interested by the jet lights, called them up, really nice people but i dont have 265 american whether the light is in destructable or not

Favorite Trail:   all of the above

Purchased At:   CheapSkates sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   2 sets of blt x rays, sla versions ofcourse

Bike Setup:   norco drop, new rims new stem, single speed

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2005

Strengths:    The light pod itself worked well... on low... when the battery would work... (which it never really did).

Weaknesses:    The battery... The battery... The battery... The battery...

The battery on this thing was JUNK from the get go. I did all the things the factory mentioned to get proper burn times from it, but to no avail. It was in and out of my LBS a few times for testing... no change (of course). If it was charged and then used right away, the burn times were acceptable, but if it say in a gear box on its way to a race for a day or two, the unit could not be counted on to hold a charge properly or approach the advertised burn times.

There was also an issue with switching form low to high. If I wanted to reduce the output after more than 15 minutes of use, it would not go back into the high output setting... stupid thing thought it needed to be in energy saver mode.

BAD customer service. Price... far too high.

Bottom Line:
This is a poorly designed product that did not perform even remotely close to how it was advertised. BAD service from Norco/BLT. I got in trade (at my loss) a similar unit with NiMH batteries that do not use the electronic curcuits. NOT impressed with having to take a loss on the deal when all I wanted to do was return the unit for a full refund after it NEVER performed (or even came close) as advertised in a real-World situation.

SHAME ON YOU BLT !! I am not a wealthy person and I thought I was buying a quality product when I got this unit. I could not afford to take the hit at (after a VERY long wait) getting a much less expensive light in trade to keep me "happy" about the first unit being such a piece of crap.

So, you get what you deserve: one flaming anal probe for POOR customer service, POOR replacement of the product and taking far too much of my time and money in dealing with your crap. And one flaming turd for overall rating since even your dealer did a mediocre job of patching things up in the end.

VERY unhappy with this particular product and VERY unhappy with how I was treated.

Don't buy this product!

Purchased At:   Mac's Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Other BLT lights that don't use a stupid computer to tell me when I need to turn the light off or reduce output. Night Hawk.

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant for this review.

Submitted by Alan a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2004

Strengths:    Good Price. Affordable

Weaknesses:    Battery pack. Digital circuitry

Bottom Line:
Affordable light but you get what you pay for. With a fully charged battery, the light would only work on the 15W setting for 10 minutes before switching to the 5W setting. It would not switch back to 15W. 5W is useless on the trails, though I did get the 2 hours of ryn time that they claim at this setting. I took the unit back and bought an HID light from another manufacturer.

Purchased At:   Simon's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Nightsun, NightRider, Cygolights

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Instinct

Submitted by Mudguts a Weekend Warrior from toronto

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2004

Strengths:    nice box.

Weaknesses:    crappy battery

Bottom Line:
I haven't even had a chance to test these lights.!!!
ai-carumba! I bought them at a good price, the box was opened but I didn't even think of that. so I take them home, plug it in and the battery won't charge. it's a DUD! and I have a 24 hour race this weekend and really needed the lights. Though I have to admit, the store service was and is awesome. These guys know their stuff, they treat you like gold and will bend over backwards to help you. So kudos to Europe Bound in Toronto (383 King st. W). too bad the lights are crap though. I'll be exchanging them for something else. Sorry Norco. I like your bikes, hate your lights.

Purchased At:   europe bound

Similar Products Used:   Litestik Nightsticks!

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element

Submitted by Karl a Cross Country Rider from London, Ontario

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Strengths:    Looks good, relatively lightweight, build quality, have good experience with a prior BLT product.

Weaknesses:    Battery burn times are inconsistent, blue-ish bulb output is annoying.

Bottom Line:
This light is a giant piece of crap! I've been out on the trails so many times when this light has up and died (drained battery) well before it's gotten to it's burn time. So often that I don't even use this light anymore. It also will only last 15-30 minutes before dropping down to battery saver 5w mode. I've read the FAQ and have tried and tried and tried to 'reprogram' the battery but to no avail. The blue-ish bulb colour also washes out details on the trails I ride, or is it becuase it's mostly in 5w mode that the light output is so dim it can't light up the trail? Either way, this light is useless, save your money and buy something else. I bought this light based on how well my BLT SLA light works and I'm very disappointed in this light. Was a waste of money.

Favorite Trail:   Boler Mtn

Purchased At:   Mailorder

Similar Products Used:   I still use my original BLT SLA light.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8000 and KHS Solo One

Submitted by w a Cross Country Rider from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight. Light is easy to mount.

Weaknesses:    BURN TIME. BURN TIME. BURN TIME. Bulb. Customer Service. Quality of the product.

Bottom Line:
Bought this light at the Toronto Bike Show. Followed the instruction on the BLT web site and recharged discharged the battery at least 7 times with no improvement on burn times. The average was just under 1H30 mins not even close to the advertised 1H50 mins (at 15W). Contacted BLT twice to complain and didn't even receive a response! Where's the customer service? Used it for the first time in a race on the weekend. Started it off on 5W and tried to switch to 15W after 15min with no luck. Had to ride the race with just 5W. Battery was fully charged the night before. When I got home the bulb appeared to have dust on the inside of the lens. When I took the bulb out I noticed that the ceramic holding the bulb inside the lens assembly had disintegrated causing the dust to appear on the lens. That was after the first ride!!! I'm not even going to bother to contact BLT as it is evident that they have no interest in customer service (from my previous unanswered emails to them). I'd advise against buying this light set as you will be dissapointed with the quality and performance.

Purchased At:   Europe Bound

Submitted by Stuart from BC

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Good light output. Decent run time. Very light.

Weaknesses:    When I didn't read the instructions, the burn time was a bit short. After checking their website I followed the charging instructions, and it's working well now.

Bottom Line:
Definitely brighter than the lights I had before. I recommend these lights to anyone thinking about buying. They are a real deal for the money.

Similar Products Used:   BLT Firefly, Cygolight gel cell

Submitted by KT a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2004

Strengths:    simple to use clamp, easy on/off button

Weaknesses:    read

Bottom Line:
just an update. I use this light all the time and it's great...for working in a crawl space. Like everybody else, it works nice indoors, but as soon as it gets a hint of cool weather, the burn time runs crying home to momma, dropping into 5W mode. Don't bother with this light. I'm dropping my rating since if you can't use it for it's intended purpose, of what value is it?

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Digi-Evolution (performs well in colder weather)

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton, Ontario

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Strengths:    Nice package. Much more refined than the earlier BLT models.

Weaknesses:    Burn time - see below. Velco strap really doesn't hold it to the frame very well. Always need to tape it to keep it from rattling around.

Bottom Line:
I wouldn't hold your breath Larry expecting a significant improvement over time. Like yourself I was upgraded (after months of email complaining and waiting) to the 4.5 battery after getting poor burn time with the 4.0. I actually tried two different 4.0's before they sent the 4.5. Like another reviewer, I found they performed ok in my house (1 hr 45 at 15w, still less than advertised), but once I got on the trail for whatever reason, it was far less (maybe 1hr 15m max.). In the cold weather forget it. The 4.5 didn't seem to make an appreciable difference. Since I'd tried 3 different batteries, I suggested that maybe the light or the charger may be the problem. I never really got a response on that one and finally gave up. I'm quite disappointed since I've had the BLT Blitz SLA for a few years and it's been quite reliable until recently when the battery seems to be toast. Somewhat comforting to know that my experience wasn't unique. I try to support Canadian products, but this just doesn't cut it (I'll keep riding my Rocky though).

Purchased At:   Brant Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Have an older BLT SLA

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETS-X70

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Victoria BC

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2003

Strengths:    Bright light, lightweight, simplicity.

Weaknesses:    Burn time. Consistency

Bottom Line:
I bought this light a month or so ago and it hasn't lived up to its burn time specs. I was getting about an hour and a quarter on the 15 w setting and it would cut down to the 5w and last for about another half hour. Sometimes it would just cut right to the 5w and last for about 2 hrs. I took the battery back and was upgraded to the x ray 4.5 ah battery which . So far I have only tested it at home and it seems to be getting about 2 hrs total with 1 hr 30 on 15w and 30 min after it cuts to the 5w. I'm not too concerned yet because you are supposed to cycle it 3 - 5 times before you get full burn time. Feel free to email me if you want an updated report on the 4.5 X ray battery.

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 98, Trek 5200, Trek 2100

Submitted by David a Racer from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2003

Strengths:    Definitely one of the best looking and best working lights out there. I have been using it at least 2-3 times per week since I bought it, and while I had a burntime problem on my first time out, it turns out I didn't charge it properly. I went on their website, and found what I did wrong, and now everything is great! (Kuddos to BLT for an awesome FAQ section). The digital control is awesome. There are no wires, and I actually bought a second NH40 and put a helmet mount on it. You can't beat the price vs. performance. The Blue colour bulb is amazing. Who needs to spend $700 for a HID system when you can get these so cheap!
The Handlebar mount is one of the cleanest and simplest designs I have seen, and it doesn't require you to leave anything permanently mounted on the bar

Weaknesses:    The instructions were a bit confusing, but after a couple reads everything was OK. The BLT FAQ site really helped here. Also the charger jack cover is a bit finicky, but not really a big deal. I just put an elastic band around my battery to hold it in place.

Bottom Line:
I have seen a bunch of reviews for these lights lately. The magazines must really like them, because they all have really good things to say about them. Every review I read had really good things to say. It was because of the magazines recommendations that I bought these lights, and I can honestly say they have not let me down.
For your money, you can't find a better digital light system out there. Buy these lights!

Similar Products Used:   niterider (returned), BLT Terminator (Awesome! I sold this to my friend)

Bike Setup:   Giant AC with Jr. T, Giant NRS with Marathon fork

Submitted by John Tymoshuk a Cross Country Rider from Peterborough, Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2003

Strengths:    Light-weight. Easy to toggle between modes. Fastens quickly. Light quality is high, well distributed. Even the 5W setting gives good light for low speed riding.

Weaknesses:    Rubber charger seal fell off after 4 rides. Burn-time fails to meet advertized times. Norco did not reply to my e-mail expressing my concerns (about the seal and the burn-time). Difficult to see the fuel gauge because the battery will probably be facing away from you when you strap it to the bike.

Bottom Line:
I am dissapointed with the burn-time, I don't think i have ever had more than a 1:15 min at high power before the battery slips into conservation mode. I have never got more than 1:45min before complete black out. The box says I should get 1:50 min of burn-time @ 15Watts and 2:30 min & 5 W. The other rider I go with has a $100 night hawk that has way better performance. Save the money, carry the extra weight and buy a 12V SLA system. I would find it hard to recommend this light to others.

Purchased At:   Fontaines

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2003

Strengths:    Looks nice. The 5 watt setting works. Good burn time on 5 watt setting. I have no idea how long the 15 watt setting burns becuase it does not work.

Weaknesses:    Not functional in high power mode (15 watt)

Bottom Line:
Piece of crap only works inside my house. Have not had one successful ride with this light. It powers down into low power mode within 5-10 minutes and stays like that for the entire ride.

BLT / Norco tells me it works fine when they tested. Yah it works fine in my house too.
I like having my light out for testing for 1 month to tell me it works. (morons)

Bottom line is light does not work the way it is supposed to work. BLT / Norco won’t bother to replace it because it works inside while testing. Where did customer service ever go?

Suggestion: A $15 commuter light works better than BLT’s top lights.

Why isn't there a zero rating for products like this???

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider, Planet Bike, Phoenix Night-Hawk. These products all work well try these.

Bike Setup:   Helmet mount setup

Submitted by KT a Cross Country Rider from NY

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2003

Strengths:    durable, excellent mounting (both head unit & battery)

Weaknesses:    battery not the best in really cold weather

Bottom Line:
This is a great bar mount light …for the price. These can easily be had for under $100 on ebay )if you can find them). Don’t go thinking you’ll be mounting this thing on your helmet though (they sell a helmet adapter). The beam is for bar mount only. It’s wide and no where is the beam concentrated. Seams my NR Digital Evolution is better on the bar. But this light has an advantage over the NR on one of my bikes. The mounting bracket of the BLT is skinny enough to fit in the confined small flat surface of the Easton Monkeylites and Thomson stem with out pointing somewhere off to the side. If you did have this problem, it’s got a little screw adjustment that allows you to fix it. The battery is sleek and snugs securely onto any frame or seatpost. Here’s a tip. Being frame mounted, it’s easily exposed to mud, and the charger inlet cover easily pops off and is subject to getting clogged. Cover the battery with some neoprene and velcro. Operating is really easy even w/o any remote switch; on/ff, 5W, 15W. But don’t touch the thing, it gets pretty damn hot. The head unit is solidly constructed, and if you care, gets some style points. The battery is supposed to be ‘ultrasonically sealed.’ I don’t know what that means, but it sounds good.
Performance: the light has a bluish tone to it, and is overpowered by my NR, but again, for price, it does it job well. Charge the sucker a good 9-10 hours or until you see the blinking green light. Burn times – ok – haven’t used it that many times yet, but here’s a real kick in the pants. Each time I’ve used it in cold weather (I mean like 15 degrees cold), it goes into low beam after 20 or so minutes. After warming up inside a few minutes it’s back to full power. Nice to know, but doesn’t quite help me when I need it. All the other pluses can’t help this light if you plan using it for…umm…night riding weather? Funny considering it’s a Canadian company. See em at www.blt-lights.com
If you’re looking to get into night riding cheaply and don’t go out in the really cold stuff, or you need a reasonable backup or extra light for some 24 hour races, this will do the job. Rating – 2 ½ endos

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain