Blackburn Flea 2.0 Front Lights

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

The lightest, brightest rechargeable cycling light in the world now has new Fuel Gauge Technology with indicator LED that shows battery capacity and charging. The flexible and compact mounting system installs in minutes.

Submitted by Unhappy bloke a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2013

Strengths:    A nice compact little bike light.

Weaknesses:    I have had the light for 10 months or so now and it stopped charging this week. The charging indicator is in the red at the moment, so when the little bit of oomph left is gone I will have to throw it away. Never saw this coming ...

Bottom Line:
DONT BUY THIS light if you don't want to buy another one in a years time. There is cheaper stuff that will last longer.

Submitted by Longfellow Mafia

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    Small, bright, long battery life.

Weaknesses:    Weak strap, spotty charging.

Bottom Line:
I like the Blackburn Fleas and own about 6 of them, both front and rear. I own the USB version. Mine are quite finicky when it comes to charging and occasionally they just won't take a charge from the USB connector.

The real problem is with the mounting straps, which are velcro and short-lived. Calling Blackburn customer service will get you a referral to Weber Sports. I purchased my over-priced replacement straps from Weber Sports two months ago and am still waiting for them. They never contacted me to tell me the straps are on backorder (I had to contact them). I finally disputed the transaction and will start shopping for lights from another maker.

Submitted by davnadz a Weekend Warrior from Watertown, NY

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Damn bright! So small it's not very noticeable (stealable). Rechargeable battery lasts a couple of hours in steady mode.

Weaknesses:    Have to take the strap off to charge it.

Bottom Line:
It's a be-seen light that's bright enough to see with. You can ride with the Flea as a headlight if you don't have your "real" light. It can be seen reflecting on road signs three blocks away at dusk. In flash mode, I've been mistaken for an emergency vehicle! I might just get another for the wig-wag effect, or to leave one steady-on.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider blazin' headlight.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale full-suspension in commuting mode.

Submitted by Relax a Weekend Warrior from NZ

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    Light, simple to use, simple on/off switch, attachment strap, versatile - also walking up to 2-3 hrs, easy for kids to carry it on themselves, wide bright beam for 8m ish, great product with simple recharge units = solar + USB unit = small size/light, top marks as a back-up light for those involved in serious weekend activities, use in tandem with a spotlight beam. Or use two Fleas.

Weaknesses:    Light duration + velcro strap = not suitable for a really hard rider, but then those users should be using light units that are in the most expensive category!, suitable for the weekend rider either off road or city.

Bottom Line:
Buy two lights, make sure one light comes with a solar/USB recharge unit (avoid buying solar unit separately as more expensive), 1 on helmet (flashing to be seen in urban, use full beam for added light in country) and 1 on handle bars (for light). Good value, innovative and easy to use!

Favorite Trail:   Taupo

Purchased At:   Taupo NZ

Similar Products Used:   General

Bike Setup:   Merida full suspension, cross country

Submitted by BokorSolo a Weekend Warrior from Prince William, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy to charge, decent battery life for such a little light, Blackburn has a good warranty program.

Weaknesses:    It is a bit of a pain to charge the light because I am afraid of frying it.

Bottom Line:
This is a very impressive light. I originally bought one to backup my Trailrat because the halogen is a bit crappy on the battery life. The one day I needed to use it as a backup I was so impressed that I bought another one on sale at performance use one on the handlebar and one on my helmet and I can ride all night and see pretty much everything in my path. on the road it's pretty good and works surprisingly well off road. Get one for a backup for sure.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Other battery powered lights.

Submitted by KnobbyTire a Racer from Stockton, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, easy to recharge the battery, very compact. Ok light brightness and charge time.

Weaknesses:    Not for aggressive riders. comes off easily. I ride in the city. I go fast to make it on time for school. When going on rough terrain the light would come loose. I'm the type of rider who pedals fast, go off sidewalks, rock crawler type. The way the light clamps to the bars is with velcro. Velcro!. The velcro would not tighten good enough around the handle bar. I would have to secure it around the handlebar grip because it was thicker and the velcro would not be loose as opposed to the smaller handlebar diameter. I even put pieces of inner tube so the velcro would become tighter but the velcro would still come loose. Limited places where I could strap the light to the bike. One day I came home looked for the light, it wasn't there. I was deeply disappointed because I commute to school in the evenings and depend on the light. I don't like being stopped by the cops and tell me you can buy a 5 dollar light etc, etc. If Blackburn would just supply the plastic clamp for the handlebar like ViewPoint lights and have the light snap in and out that would be a better clamping system IMHO. One of the LEDs was weaker than the other even when it was new right off the box.

Bottom Line:
Not worth the buy if the light is going to come off because of aggressive riding. Only people cruising should get this light. If you're throwing down tricks at night this light will come loose.

Purchased At:   beyondbikes.com