Baja Designs Stryker Lights

4.75/5 (20 Reviews)

Battery powered LED light for all your adventures – excellent as a helmet light or handlebar light for your mountain bike or road bike, it is also great for your motorcycle or ATV handlebars 700 lumens, 520 grams, up to 12 hr run time and completely waterproof to 33 ft.

Submitted by sure-lok a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA., U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2011

Strengths:    brightness, solid construction, reliability, weather resistance, mount system, product adaptability, burn time, customer service

Weaknesses:    weight, mount system

Bottom Line:
I have not exposed this light to the types of extreme conditions that others have, but I have no doubt of it's ability to stand up to as much or more abuse than most other lights out there. The construction on this this is absolutely burly. I did have an issue with my charging system failing to work after 4 or 5 charges, but the customer service these guys provide is probably the best Iv'e ever encountered, and the problem was rectified without any questions asked. Since then I have not experienced any other issues. The biggest complaint most people seem to have about this light is about the mount system. While it could certainly be more versatile and convenient, it is very stable once it is dialed in. I'm giving this light a perfect score, despite the fact that it does have a weakness or two, for the simple reason that the many strengths of this system make it so easy to overlook the 1 or 2 things that could be better, in my mind. I am very pleased that I bought one, and when I need to replace mine, I will certainly buy from them again. I would recommend them to anyone looking to buy a solid product from a smaller company that places an emphasis on quality and customer satisfaction.

Favorite Trail:   American River Parkway

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   night rider, cygolite

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1 frame/fork, Mavic 729s, Paul hubs, Avid BB7s/Single-Digits, Thomson stem/seatpost, Profile Racing cranks/bb, White Industries Trials FW

Submitted by coach2win a Weekend Warrior from Claremont, CA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2011

Strengths:    Rugged light, good battery, and bright. A light that I can trust.

Weaknesses:    Zip ties work but a removable mount would be nice.

Bottom Line:
Shannon Scott answered all my questions. I got a light that is bright and I can count on it working in all conditions. Good bang for the buck light.

Similar Products Used:   Niterider

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy

Submitted by BaconLuvR a Racer from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Bomb Proof, super bright, excelent battery life, great value.

Weaknesses:    The original Stryker could be a little lighter - I use it helmet mounted & I really don't notice the weight once I'm riding. The helmet mount could be better -.

Bottom Line:
I'm in a large group of guys that ride at night at least once a week. Most of us have all bought BD Stryker's because they are bomb proof, super bright, and a great value. We've all put numerious rides on them - there has been many crashes, lots of rainy/snow Pacific NW nights & not a single problem for any of us.

We often ride trails that are used for Super D races - it's nice having a light this bright because you don't outrun the light at high speed on the trail.

Similar Products Used:   NightRider & Light & Motion

Submitted by Brad2theBone a Cross Country Rider from CA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2011

Strengths:    Very bright and rugged. Solid support from Baja designs. Light weight.

Weaknesses:    The zip tie bar mount is a bit weak. Not a deal breaker.

Bottom Line:
You can't go wrong with this light It's bright and creates a wide spot. The waterproofing is great. No regrets! I've used in downpours and crashed hard with it. It just keeps on running.

Similar Products Used:   Nite rider, cygolight, lupine

Bike Setup:   Specialized enduro expert 2007

Submitted by Demo8Man a Downhiller from Portland Oregon

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2011

Strengths:    Very tough, bright, and water proof

Bottom Line:
This is the best light for the money. It is very tough, bright, and water proof. I will never buy another bike light!

Favorite Trail:   2 Chair

Purchased At:   Jamie's bike shop

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Nomad with Talas 36
Specialized Demo 8 Fox 40

Submitted by superchingaso a Weekend Warrior from san diego, ca

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    very rugged, its built for serious abuse. All of the cable conections are very secure and you can tell they are watertight because of the pop sound you get when you disconect them. Light is insanely bright, even, and very wide with the wide reflector with a very long throw downtrail.

Weaknesses:    Not very many, some people say they zip ties but thats not really an issue. If you have multiple bikes just get multiple mounts for them and keep one on each bike they are cheap to purchase separatly. I bet if you ask nicely they will throw in an extra one for free. great guys that work there.

Bottom Line:
This light is BRIGHT and the beam is the best ive seen on any light. The battery indicator is real nice. this light on low is still plenty bright even in rocky sections. so basicly run it on the high setting, see EVERYTHING and if you are not near your car when your indicator turns yellow turn it down to low and you should still have a couple hours of light left. The box says its the only light you need and the last light you will buy. Just by looking at it i believe it.

Favorite Trail:   sycamore canyon/marthas grove

Purchased At:   direct from baja des

Similar Products Used:   Niterider, vistas, magicshine,

Bike Setup:   dw-link azure expert, xtr, industry-nine, thomson, manitou mrd minute.

Submitted by mcoplea a Cross Country Rider from Fountain Hills

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Bright, tough, weather proof, bomber! This thing throws a TON of light and you can easily change from spot to flood depending on your preference. I have been riding at night for about 10 years now and this is the best light that I have ever used.

Weaknesses:    It has been said before, the mount works great, but you have to cut off the zip ties to remove it. Looking forward to the release of the new mount.

Bottom Line:
Buy it if you want a bright, high quality, durable, reasonably priced light from a company that will stand behind it.

Favorite Trail:   AZ

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Pro 600. Light & Motion Seca 700

Bike Setup:   29er steel ht

Submitted by enzan9er a Cross Country Rider from Santa Fe, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2011

Strengths:    Great beam output compared to HID and other high output lights I have used.

Weaknesses:    Head unit is a bit heavy for current optional Q/R rubber mount. Zip-tie mount was fine.

Bottom Line:
Tried with all of the mounts they offer currently, would suggest using the zip-tie mount on the handlebar. The light by itself was more than sufficient for XC single track speeds with great battery life and dependability. Very durable head unit. Love the wide pattern. Can't wait to use it in race situations when other riders become jealous.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Magicshine, and many models of Niteriders

Bike Setup:   Niner Sir9

Submitted by 5bravobravo a Cross Country Rider from Mesa, Az, USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2011

Strengths:    Super Bright, wide coverage, two reflectors for flood/spot, easy to swap.

Weaknesses:    only includes a single bar mount. Need more if you have multiple bikes and want to swap it around.

Bottom Line:
The light stays pointed where you want it (I mount it on my bars). Easy to use, long lasting battery pack. easy to mount.

Has enough fire power to run high speeds on the downhills, and serves double duty on my motorcycle as a helmet light.

The light is sweet, very happy with it, looks like it was made to take serious abuse..

Chuck Norris would endorse this product

Favorite Trail:   Pass Mountain

Purchased At:   Direct @ Baja Design

Similar Products Used:   Magicshine, Cygolight

Bike Setup:   rigid 29er SS, 6in AM

Submitted by rmittel a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2011

Strengths:    Light weight, long run time, multiple optics, very bright, great light for the price

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Great light for the money, like getting 2 lights for the price of one with the switchable optics. Very light weight for the amount of run time. No comparison to previous Nite Rider lights I paid more for.

Favorite Trail:   Buffalo Creek

Purchased At:   Baja Trade-up

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider - multiple models

Bike Setup:   Full XTR Pedal Force carbon fiber hardtail, Toamc Snyper

Submitted by blockhog a Cross Country Rider from FAIRFAX CA.

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2010

Strengths:    BOMB PROOF

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
This light blows away the jet lite a-51 that I tried. The mount of the Strykr Pro works well. You can adjust it left-right , up and down . The a-51 didn't point center and couldn't be adjusted left or right. The MTBR photo of the beam pattern of Strykr Pro had to be taken on the lowest setting. The switch on the Strykr and the Strykr Pro is bombproof. The jet a-51 is rubber cover switch. As on my old nitedrider the rubber can crack and then short out. Both the strykr and strykr pro has a lifetime warranty on the light head. Jet lite one year. It come with a smart charger. you have to pay extra for a smart charger with the jet lite a-51. any weight weeny would be proud to have the strykr pro on their handlebars. It's a little larger than a golf ball. The strykr pro battery mounts better than the jet lites a-51 battery. I just order my second baja designs light. Don't be fooled by the MTBR photo's on the light shootout. The strykr pro is the better light. I look forward to have even more light out put with the Strkr. I ride both road and off road in the Marin county California area. NITE RIDER, JET LITE look out these guy have a better lite.

Purchased At:   BAJA DESIGN

Similar Products Used:   JET LITE NITE RIDER

Submitted by Oneplumber a Cross Country Rider from Canoga Park, CA

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    Awesome light! I've been using a helmet mounted Niterider Tri-newt for some time and was very impressed with the amazing brightness of the stryker. I Mounted it on my bars and the light patten, brighness, and resulting "shadowing" of the terrain really improved my downhilling speed. this thing is really a great deal for the money.

Weaknesses:    Mounting: The mounting assembly looks & feels totally cheap. it's held together with zipties and what looks to be a piece of innertube. I thought for sure the light would be pointing straight down at my front tire withing a matter of minutes on the trail. BUT... It really works. Under race conditions, that light didn't move. not once. I was amazed. So, although it's not truly a weakness... I suppose my only complaint would be bit of a better mount.
Battery: I'm not sure who the people are that use a light on "low" but that wouldn't be me. more light is always better in my book. that being said, the battery may be a bit low on longevity. 1 1/2 hrs on high, and you'll be staring at a flashing red indicator.

Bottom Line:
I would highly recommend this product. the bang-for-the-buck can't be beat.

Purchased At:   12hr Bike Race Vendo

Similar Products Used:   Niterider minewt & trinewt.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpie pro

Submitted by Rockhucker a Weekend Warrior from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2010

Strengths:    Build quality, light output, weather proofing, very useful in all light modes,

Weaknesses:    If this light had a quick release mount, it would be the perfect light.

Bottom Line:
A plain and simple burly light that has amazing light output and you don't have to worry about anything going wrong.
I really like that high, med, and low are all usable and provide a very nice beam. I use the wide angle lens that is supplied with the kit and it provides an amazing amount of light in all situations. The build quality on this light is honestly nicer than anything I've ever seen(including high end Niteriders), it's completely sealed and very crash resistant. The only thing I would change on the light is the mount since it requires you to have a seperate mount for each bike. The light is easy to unscrew from the mount to take it off but a quick release style mount would be awesome. If you want an amazing light for a good price this light is the way to go.

Favorite Trail:   Anything steep and very rough

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Niteriders, magicshine

Bike Setup:   Commuter fixie during the weak, Scythe for the weekends

Submitted by Pipewright a Downhiller from seattle, wa usa

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2010

Strengths:    I'm impressed. This thing is bright. The pattern with the wide reflector is super wide, but still has a spotlight feel. If you ride gnarly tight trails, put the wide beam on your helmet. You won't need anything on the bars. I know this is backwards, but try it. I've never written a review on anything before; I've got better things to do with my time, but this light is SO much better than anything my friends and I have ever seen, that here I am, raving.

Weaknesses:    It's a little big, but that's probably why the beam is so fantastic. So maybe that's an advantage, not a weakness.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line: less than $300? stupid bright? 2 beam patterns? waterproof? with a lifetime guarantee? really? All my other lights are for sale, cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Recently... Upper Rainmaker @ Winterpark, CO

Purchased At:   Baja Designs

Similar Products Used:   Princeton Tec's, Sigma's, Cygo's, Night rider's, and a Magic Shine.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain ETSX 50, Specialized SX Trail 2, Kona Stinky 6 and a Yeti RDH 303.

Submitted by jtwhite a Cross Country Rider from Searcy

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2010

Strengths:    Quality of Build, Light Output and specifically Wide Beam pattern.

Weaknesses:    I would advise anyone purchasing the light to buy two bar mounts if you use the light on more than one bike.

Bottom Line:
Riding Observations
On the road the Stryker can shed plenty of light for about 25 yards. The wide halo helps for tight corners as it illuminates about 20 yards left to right. On the trail the light really excels, probably do to the reflective objects, such as leaves, trees and rocks. The light defiantly excels on the trail because of the width. I would even say that trail riding with the Stryker is fine without a helmet light, due to the light width and strength of the spot.

Comparisons
As you can see from my information I have owned and used many lights. The most powerful light I had previously used was the TridenX lilion. While the TridenX is a good light it does not compare to the Baja Stryker. In my side by side comparisons between the Stryker and the TridenX, the Stryker produced a wider spot and a much wider Halo at roughly 4 times the size of the TridenX. In comparison to the Magicshine, the Stryker on Medium is about equivalent to the Magicshine on high. The main difference between these two lights is the beam intensity and width of the spot; with both strengths going to the Stryker. There is no comparison between the Light and Motion Stella (Which is my helmet light) and the Stryker, with the Stryker being wider and brighter than the Stella. When the Stryker is on high the Stella’s beam cannot be seen as the Stryker engulfs its light. The only light that I have seen put more width and depth is the new Niterider 1200. In comparisons to the 1200, the Stryker puts out more light than the 1200's spot only. However when the 1200's spot and wide lights are both on they do place much more light immediately at each side of the bike, but the depth being slightly stronger than the Stryker.

Recommendation
I have only used this product for one month so I will post more information regarding its durability and strengths and weaknesses. But to this point this is the best light I have used. The light head is a little larger than any other light I have used, but I think this is why the optics are so strong. The battery mounts to the frame better than any light I have had due to the rubber fittings. Once the light is mounted it’s great, but the mount is not mobile. I also would not use the light on a bicycle helmet because of its size.
Overall the Stryker provides more than ample light in all riding conditions. At this point this is the most powerful light I have owned and the build quality looks to be the best as well. I certainly believe that one who purchases this light will not be disappointed.

Customer Service
I also want to note the team at Baja Designs gives top notch customer service. I have had to contact them for a part and they have gone above and beyond anything I had ever received from Cygolite. I hope this review helps and I would encourage anyone to give this light a try if they are looking in its price range.

Favorite Trail:   Syllamo

Similar Products Used:   I enjoy am a person who enjoys good lights. These are the lights I have previously used and owned. Blackburn system X3, Cygolite - Dual Cross Pro, Mity Cross, TridenX, Light & Motion Stella, the Magicshine 808 and Niterider 1200.

Bike Setup:   Lynsky 29er

WTB Stryker Wheelset = Junk?

I recently purchased a new set of WTB Stryker race 29 wheels. The reviews I read were pretty good and I got them for a great price. Now the problem. They were untrue out of the box, so I had my LBS true them. Two short rides later and they are out of true again. These were rides on fairly smooth ter ... Read More »

WTB Stryker TCS 29 XD driver needed

I've been told the hubs are American Classics . Will the American Classic XD driver work? Will it help engagement or will it remain the same? Thanks.Read More »

WCS Stryker XC Race or Light Bike wheelset XC 29er??

Which to go with and why? The Light Bicycle is a few grams lighter and of course Carbon, assembled and shipped with Novatech hubs is around $600 weigh in at 1460 grams. WTB Stryker XC Race are around $400 shipped from Nashbar, proprietary parts, around 1500 grams. These will be on a Stumpj ... Read More »

Did I pick the right wheel? return possible WTB Stryker TCS XC Race Rear Wheel 142x12

Got this one coming in the mail. I can return it if I have to. My main concern would be strength. I am geared up 250 lbs, ride mostly (99%) XC, no jumps to speak off and no drops. Do you guys think this wheel will hold up? I picked it mainly because of the 32 spokes and ok reviews. ... Read More »

Serfas True 1500? Or Baja Double Stryker?

I have been eyeing Serfas's True 1500 lamp for quite a while and the Lights Shootout has given me an even better impression. However, I have some questions for those who have this light: how waterproof is it? Is it a sturdy and durable light? Is the beam pattern good for a flood light? I am mainly c ... Read More »