Home | Reviews | Lights | Ay Up

Ay Up Roadie Kit Lights

4.64/5 (11 Reviews)

Roadie kit includes - Roll up pouch, 6hr battery plus pouch, charger, 220/240AC adaptor, 12V car adaptor, extension lead, 2 x handlebar mounts and 4 bands.

Submitted by Duck a Racer from Sydne, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome value for money and the brightest lights around. Very flexible mounting options and easy to mount the batteries (even on a road bike and TT bike). I had good customer service with quick delivery and so far very happy. Cars have no excuse not seeing you with these on...

Weaknesses:    None so far..
(would be good if we could mix beams in each pair - eg intermediate + narrow beam etc)

Bottom Line:
Go for it - these are the best.

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Various

Bike Setup:   Road with Aerobars + Time Trial bike.

Submitted by windjunky a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Strengths:    Its small, doesn't weigh much, great colours, easy to fit but above all - bright bright bright!

Weaknesses:    Mounting the battery on the stem slows steering a little, but hey, i hardly notice it now. Almost blinded myself when i bought them and looked into the lights when i first turned them on!

Bottom Line:
Compared to the 15W halogens i've used in the past, this 2x3W CREE LED setup is far far brighter, plus a "whiter" light which seems to give plenty of definition of stuff on the bike paths I ride home from work. I've also noticed cars etc seem to give me a little more space - i think they get the impression something bigger is coming cos of the lights. Happy to recommend. The service from Ay-Up was fantastic and they arrived in a day.

Purchased At:   ay up website

Similar Products Used:   Only Halogens...

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS2

Submitted by Playa66 a Cross Country Rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2009

Strengths:    Good Price, Light, Bright, got 2 batteries, good color range.

Weaknesses:    Not anything

Bottom Line:
Very happy for the price. Good light.....

Favorite Trail:   Sydney

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   My Ride to work

Submitted by Brewha a Cross Country Rider from South Jersey

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2009

Strengths:    Nice and small. Battery is small enough to fit on helmet with no long cord. Nice throw and bright.Nice pouch

Weaknesses:    Customer service stinks. After my order was incorrect,I tried 2 times to contact them with Email and no response.

Bottom Line:
I do like the lights but worried if I have a problem with them. The site says you can get the Gecko mount but on my order it never showed up.I also wanted to purchase the head strap mount and have it all sent at once to save on shipping.The Dinottes came with a defective y plug and they sent one back the following day, after my email.4 chilis for good light 2 chilis for poor cust service.

Favorite Trail:   nite riding

Purchased At:   website

Similar Products Used:   Dinotte 400L, homemade torch setup

Bike Setup:   Dual bar mounted Dinottes 400L`s and the Ayup on the lid

Submitted by 25flyfishermen a Weekend Warrior from Denmark

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Very powerfull light, light weight, good battery.

Weaknesses:    Haven't seen any yet.

Bottom Line:
The first thing that struck my mind after turning on the lights was "WOW".
It is amazing how much light these very small units, each the size of a mans thumb, can give.
This is the best 200$ I have spent in a long time.

Purchased At:   AY-UP UK.

Similar Products Used:   Ordinary cheap lights, Sigma, Cateye.

Bike Setup:   Custom built ATB 29'er, Rohloff hub.

Submitted by Johnny Come Lately a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2008

Strengths:    BRIGHT!!! The things are as bright as I need. The kit I have comes with plenty of spares etc.

Bottom Line:
The only negative I can come up with is that the lights cause a degree of pedestrian rage when they lose all their hard-gotten night-vision with one blast of these puppies.

Forget over-priced lights.

Submitted by kcf955 a Racer from Nor Cal

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2008

Strengths:    Size, brightness, mounting options, battery life, weight

Weaknesses:    Can't adjust tension of pivoting dual beams. This leads to the lights not staying put when mounted to handlebars while riding off road.

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a great light set up. Ay Up offers a huge variety of setup options between number of lights, battery sizes and mounting options. This is an extremely compact and light set up. Worked great for technical single track at Hurkey Creek 24hr race. My only minor gripe was that you can't adjust the tension of the pivot. This is not a problem on a helmet and most of the time not a problem when mounted to handle bar but just sometimes when you take a big hit the lights seem to drift out of position.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge

Purchased At:   24hr Hurkey Creek

Similar Products Used:   LightMotion HID

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-Works Epic

Submitted by Ian T a Weekend Warrior from London, England

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2008

Strengths:    Bright, light weight, strong, waterproof, easy to install, easy to adjust, choice of lamp colours, flexibility, value for money. UK price £150.

Weaknesses:    To be really picky the MTB kit is actually better if you are going to cycle often in unlit areas, but its £250.

Bottom Line:
Excellent value bright light. I cannot get over how small these lights are. They allow me to commute through unlit streets and parks with no reduction in my 'daytime' speed. The whole set up is idiot proof and really easy to install. You get an extra mounting for your helmet and another bike if you want the lamp to 'multi task'. The light comes with a neoprene case for all the bits and pieces of the kit inc the charger. I was intially weary of Ay Up as their uk site only has e-mail contacts but they were a pleasure to deal with and all my e-mails were promptly answered. To top it all - once I ordered the light it arrived the next day.

Favorite Trail:   The mean streets of London

Purchased At:   Ay-Up online uk

Bike Setup:   Dawes Hybrid

Submitted by shootin a Racer from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2008

Strengths:    Light, simple, extremely bright light, extra parts

Weaknesses:    Did know about these lights earlier - found out about them via a friend

Bottom Line:
Very Bright, cheap for the price, brightest lights I've ever used, easy to install and plenty of spare parts to set up more than one bike

Purchased At:   ayup website

Similar Products Used:   BLT 4W LED, Cateye halogen, Cyclolite

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC2 frame, XT running gear, Skarab forks
Also use them on an Orbea Road Bike

Submitted by Chris McEwen a Cross Country Rider from Launceston Tasmania Australia

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    Very high powered bright white, very light weight extremely simple to use

Weaknesses:    Have not found any

Bottom Line:
I use these lights on the handle bars only for road riding and handle bars and helmet set up for cross country riding, I ride every Tuesday night on the road and every Thursday night on the trails and I have used and fought with other lights never having enough light or putting up with a bulky heavy set up, these lights put out plenty of light both on the road and on the trails are extremely easy to swap from bike to bike, very compact and light weight, these are by far the best lights on the market today aspecially for what you pay, others do claim to be better and from what I have seen with other riders there is not that much difference and I do know they will cost you two to five hundred dollars more, the other thing is the AyUp company is extremely easy to deal with very reputable management you can not go wrong with this product

Favorite Trail:   Kate Reid

Purchased At:   Ay Up online

Similar Products Used:   cat eye and BBB topeak

Bike Setup:   Specailized Stumpjumper for the dirt, Cannondale Cadd 6 for the road

Submitted by Dom Spitzer a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2008

Strengths:    Strong, consistant and infinately adjustable lighting.

Weaknesses:    No power switch.
NB: Ay Up are now introducing a battery pack with an on/off switch.

Bottom Line:
For years I have been battling with the need to both be seen by road traffic and having a good clear view of road level obsticals.
Most cheaper units I have tried have had very short battery/working life, complicated(non transferable)mountings or only fulfill one of my road lighting requirements.

I followed up the Ay Up units under advisement of fellow posters on my chosen cycle forum, cyclechat.co.uk. and after some serious research and deliberation took the plunge and bought the 'Roadie' kit.

The kit comes in a neoprene tool roll with one double lamp unit, a six hour battery plus two mounts for handle bars(with 2 spare rubber straps), one helmet mount, cable ties, battery charger and even a 12v lighter socket adapter for in-car charging, which covers almost all bases.

Swapping the lamps between bikes is done by simply releasing a rubber tag to remove the lamp unit and pulling a velcro strap to release the battery.

Battery life is consistant and the first time I noticed any degredation in the strength of the beams was after some 7 hours of road use.

At night, when these lights come into their own, not only can I clearly see potholes, broken glass, etc. on the road but motorists give me a lot more space, presuming me to be a scooter or motorbike by the strength of the lights.

The lights are so strong that I have even been using them during the day and I can safely say I am far more visible to traffic than I ever was before.

The simple and rugged nature of the Ay Up lamps is a welcome relief from battery eating lamps of old. With the fact I can see and be seen, I feel I have made an investment in lights that should last me much longer than previous units and thus saving me money in the long run.

Favorite Trail:   Streets of London