Home | Reviews | Lights | Ay Up

4.68/5 (25 Reviews)
Weight : 191grms MSRP : $320.00

Submitted by PBFloyd a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2011

Strengths:    Light, Bright, and Customizable
Extremely durable and waterproof

Weaknesses:    Price is hefty, to say the least, but totally worth it.

Bottom Line:
These lights offer plenty of power for night mountain biking when using the double set up. They are very light, extremely water resistant (haven't had a set fail even in the constant wet they were in while living in Malaysia for 2 years) and they have never failed to work. The setup allows for just under the bar placement keeping them safe from 99% of possible impacts when crashing. The same low profile is great on the helmet. They continue to burn longer than the 3 or 6 hour burn time advertised (when ordering the double set, you get two 3 hour batteries and one 6 hour). Beam patterns can be custom ordered for a wider beam and slower riding or narrower, longer projection for faster riding. When ordering multiples, you can select a variety (wider for the bars and narrower for the helmet works very nice together). Each light set has two adjustable heads that pivot up and down and can be adjusted while riding to perfectly spot the light patterns. The sets also come with a very nice head band set up that easily converts them to caving and other adventures off the bike.
I have been using my set for 3 years now and I use them almost daily for training in the early mornings and also after dark. I have hundreds of recharge cycles on the 3 hour batteries but have only used the 6 hour during a couple of endurance races when I needed a full 9 hours of lighting. All in all, this set has never ceesed to amaze me in both quality and ease of use. The lights are supposed to last a full 50,000 hours. The batteries will surely fail after 1000 cycles or so, but I will definitely be investing in more Ay Up batteries when they do.

Buy these if you can afford them and don't mind ordering from a company that still only sells from Australia. You won't regret it!

You probably don't need to spend this much if you are a daily commuter looking for a light that doesn't need this much power, but the power comes in handy if your commute isn't well lit.

Favorite Trail:   Lots of them

Purchased At:   Ay Up online

Similar Products Used:   NightRider dual halogens, Turbo Cat halogens

Bike Setup:   2011Yeti 575 custom build Sram XX mostly, 2011 Scott Scale 10 stock, Cervelo R3 Rival (when I have to do road)

Submitted by gmatt a Cross Country Rider from Brisbane, QLD, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Quality build
Everything included
Very small
Very bright

Weaknesses:    No battery charge indicator.

Bottom Line:
I've used these lights for a few years now and am deeply impressed by them. There are quite a few significant points about these lights which makes me recommend them to my friends:
1. The actual light units are very very small, the smallest by far that I've seen for this sort of light. It means they're much less obtrusive on the handlebar and on the helmet. It also means that they don't sit very high up on they're mountings, so not likely to catch on anything or spin round from vibration or knocks.
2. The light units are very nicely engineered out of metal, so they take a lot of abuse without any problems.
3. The kit comes with bar mounts (multiple), helmet mount, car charger, normal charger, 3 batteries. When I got them all this came in a neoprene roll, but now they come in a nice hard case. Either way it's nice to get all the bits you want without having to buy extras.

I use this kit with a medium dispersed beam on the handlebar, and a spot beam on my helmet and rode it day after day through pitch black singletrack. It never let me down, and I never felt the need for more light. The batteries last well for me, but my rides are mostly under 2 hours so I'm not really stretching them too far. I like that the helmet battery can be strapped onto the back of my helmet out of the way and low down to minimise the effect of the weight.
These lights aren't incredibly complicated, you can't set-up low-power options and so on like you can on some others. But for me that simplicity is appealing, you push the on-button, and they're on, push again and they're off. They just work really well and are well screwed together. They're also good value for what you get in the kit, and I had no problems ordering from them. Great product.

Favorite Trail:   Gap Creek

Purchased At:   Ay-up website

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Trc

Submitted by htcltd a Racer from Nelson, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    They are an amazingly engineered and very bright. I think that they have an excellent product. I was very impressed with the overall design and the thought that went into the product. The packaging is second to none, and they are very bright with long lasting batteries. These are among the best lights you can get.

Weaknesses:    I bought a set of Ay Up lights. My advice is that you *should not* buy them unless you can source them from a bike shop because the company's customer service is off the chart in terms of how bad it was.

Customer experience.

1. The web site is not clear and lacks guidance as to how to select the right product and options. Since they were so expensive I wanted to be careful with the purchase and so ordered a single battery system. When I got it I realized that I needed two batteries but I found that the charger would only do one at a time. When I asked to swap out the single charger for a dual and pay something extra the response was 'too bad mate - no partial refund buy a dual charger and put the the single into a drawer'.

2. When I ordered the second battery they forgot to ship it. Ten days later I called asking where it was and they said they would send it that week. No explanation. No apology. Great except my race started a week later. Had them send the lights to me in Canada but never got the second battery in time for the race. They couldn't be bothered sending them expedited mail and it took 2+ weeks to arrive.

3. Paying was a joke. The first time I tried using my Paypal. Their site would not accept my Paypal to ship to New Zealand. So I used their option of calling and leaving my credit card on their answer phone. I never heard a thing and after another 5+ attempts I got to speak to someone who said that the credit card number wasn't received.

Bottom Line:

The hassles of ordering, poor support, and negligent shipping make this my absolute worst experience shopping for bike gear online. It is a real shame that they don't take their customer service as seriously as their product design. Reminds me other other companies in the past who have gone out of business in spite of excellent products.

So, if you can find the lights in your LBS buy them. Otherwise the benefits of the lights compared to the problems of dealing with the company don't make it worthwhile getting them.

Purchased At:   Ay Up

Similar Products Used:   Numerous

Bike Setup:   Motobecane 26" Titanium MB

Submitted by Tri guy turned MBer a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, Arizona, US

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2010

Strengths:    Super lightweight, adjust on the fly, easy to mount, durable, flexible, quick charging

Weaknesses:    Mine don't have high and low output but the new ones do. This is a minor inconvenience. No side to side adjustment

Bottom Line:
I live in the desert as well and ride 70% in the dark. I train for my triathlons very early (4am) in the morning and MB at night. I also love to do 12 and 24-hour endurance rides so I need lights that are light and reliable. I've spent a ton of money on Niterider lights. They have many good features but are not backward compatible and are generally unreliable. The ballasts go out, the cords break and the batteries do not live up to their billing. I've found these Ay-up lights to be just the opposite. The lights have NEVER failed and I've NEVER had any malfunction at all. I had a nice crash and popped one of the lights off of its swivel. I was able to clean it up and put it back together, just like new. The battery and light are lighter than one Flight 2.0 light so I keep them permanently affixed to my helmet. The batteries are small and charge quickly. The charger will charge two lights at once and it comes with a car charger. The lights give out around 400 lumens a pair and with one set on your helmet and the other on your bars, they light up the trail great. I've been at lots of endurance rides and seen lots of lights. For the money, these lights are as good as it gets. The new kit they come in is far better than the old kit they used. Customer service, even half way around the globe has been fantastic. You won’t be disappointed, buy these lights.

Favorite Trail:   Old Pueblo

Purchased At:   Old Pueblo Race 2008

Similar Products Used:   I currently own 6 Niterider lights. I have the Flight 2.0, trinewts, and minewts

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel EX9, Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er, Gary Fisher Rig 29er single speed

Submitted by BTSVBerni a Cross Country Rider from Launcston,TAS,Australia

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2010

Strengths:    Light is pretty bright and the battery lasts very long time as long as the plug/cable isn't coming off.

Weaknesses:    After 1 year and 10 months the plug of the battery is coming off. Ripped at the cable for no good reason. Very poor quality.

Bottom Line:
Will never buy them again. The good advice of the Ay-up guys was to buy a new battery...... . I will buy a new battery from another manufacturer including a new light from another manufacturer.
Quality is crap. If you look for a light where the hardware last longer than 1,5 winter go for another one.

Purchased At:   AY-Up directly

Submitted by colb a Cross Country Rider from Adelaide

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    These lights light, cheap, have good light throw, and are unbreakable.

Weaknesses:    fitting can be a fit fiddly.

Bottom Line:
These lights are the standard for off road mt bike riding. I have gone for a night ride each week for the last two years with these lights and they have never let me down, and provide enough light where you need it, both a handle bar flood and helmet spot. You will not get better lights for the price full stop.

Favorite Trail:   Womens pioneer trail

Purchased At:   On line

Similar Products Used:   Nite Lights Halogen

Bike Setup:   ON-One 29er

Submitted by Santa Cruz n AZ a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2010

Strengths:    Small, light, reliable, super long battery life, quick and easy recharge

Bottom Line:
The higher price is for the V8 Twin Pack, two sets of lights for two bikes. I live in the desert, so summer rides have to happen at night, and a good light system is crucial. I don't know of any bikeshop that carries this brand, and buying online from Australia was odd, but once you get this set in your hands, you will realize that it is the absolutely best product on the market. The system is micro-lite, easy to install, versatile and absolutely lights up the night. The combo bar / helmet, double lights on each throws an amazing path. I chose wide beam for the bars, spots for the helmet. I've probably sold a dozen sets to other riders who stop me to ask where I got them. The battery pack for the bars claims 6 hours run time on high, I've never come close to running it down. The smaller lightweight helmet battery claims 3 hours, but you get two in the set to swap out for long rides. And the set is amazing. They come in a custom, high grade travel case, with every needed component and accessory, great instructions. They even come with a headband which I have actually used several times now for night hiking in the mountains and caves. The quality and finish are perfect. I damaged one of the batteries once - I emailed the company and received a brand new replacement in 5 days, no questions asked. This Australian company builds a superior product and really stands behind it. And value? A complete kit, 4 lights, every needed component, all you could possibly need for XC, commuting, anything, at $400 a set, I think it's a steal. If you need lights, buy this set, you will love it as much as I do. If you own a bike shop, try to get a dealer agreement - there is nothing sold retail that compares to this.

Favorite Trail:   McDowell Sport Loop

Purchased At:   ay-up.com

Similar Products Used:   Nite Rider MiNewt dual and USB mini

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Tallboy, Trek fuel 8

Submitted by dr.donrock a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Strengths:    Bought the intermediate beam set for handle bars with a 6hr and a 3 hr battery. At full power both batteries lasted much longer than their stated run times. Very lightweight, look great, and good value.

Weaknesses:    None so far - although I bought the 2008 set which came wit a neoprene bag thing for packing stuff away which is a bit useless. 2009 models have a carry case which sound alot better.

Bottom Line:
Great lights for night racing. I also use for commuting and they are excellent. Non worries about not being seen!

Purchased At:   ayup

Similar Products Used:   Nil - checked out lots of reviews before buying and these seemed best value.

Bike Setup:   GT Marathon Carbon Pro (off road), Charge Plug (commuting)

Submitted by 287sds a Cross Country Rider from Breckenridge, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    Great light weight light kit, fast charging and very easy to fit on bike and helmet

Weaknesses:    None that I have found at this time

Bottom Line:
Got these lights to do the Old Pueblo 24 hour race in Tucson AZ, they worked great, very quick and easy to mount between laps and they charge quick, I used my truck lighter outlet with the 12v adaptor, saves having to used the charging tent and risk losing your batteries. The lights are bright and fully adjustable made racing at night a breeze. Had some team mates using Niterider lights, they all had battery problems during their laps. The other riders I spoke with who had AY-UP lights also liked them. These are the lights to get.

Purchased At:   AY-UP online

Bike Setup:   Felt Six Team

Submitted by bobthebuilder4541 a Weekend Warrior from Halifax

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Strengths:    Very small, great run times, light weight, comprehesive kit, great beam pattern, more than enough light for any fast trail.

Weaknesses:    No UK distributor.

Bottom Line:
These are great lights. Everything you could need for night riding off-road. Great build quality. Soooo small and light it is unbelievable.

Favorite Trail:   Pennines

Purchased At:   AyUp.com.au

Bike Setup:   Stumpy 09 Expert Carbon stock except for AJ's Frame guard and ghetto tubeless.

Submitted by zarf1 a Cross Country Rider from Perth, WA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2009

Strengths:    Battery length and number, ease of use

Weaknesses:    Light could be a little clearer

Bottom Line:
These are ace lights. best deal out there. the batteries will take you through a 12 hour. Easy to set up and just keep going.

Favorite Trail:   Gungun

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Nierider stuff

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic Comp, Xyclone Disc Wheeels, Selle italia Seat, Crank Bros 4ti

Submitted by marvintheandrod a Cross Country Rider from Gloucestershire UK

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2009

Strengths:    Tiny tiny lights, very lightweight, simple design, almost indestructable, long burn time, great support from the guys in Oz. THE BEST batteries in the world bar none.

Weaknesses:    None provided you read the manual.

Bottom Line:
Built by bikers.

Don't worry about the price, honest. Buy these anyway, even if you have to live on beans on toast for the next 6 months. The smile these will put on your face is worth it.

Can bike lights be sexy ? Ooooh yeah !!

Favorite Trail:   FOD

Purchased At:   AY-UP.com

Similar Products Used:   Cat-Eye , P7 Cree

Bike Setup:   Trek8000ZR hardtail, Ay-Up Intermediate on handlebar, Ay-Up harrow on helmet. They are so light I never take them off.

Submitted by smallwaveboy a Weekend Warrior from Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2009

Strengths:    Small, well engineered, light weight, bomb proof, an awesome amount of quality light

Weaknesses:    Using zip ties on the handle bar mount, I run three bikes and find changing the handle bar mounts a pain.

Bottom Line:
I ordered mine the week before the Mont 24 hour, AyUp website was showing no MTB kits available. I rang spoke to the guys and had a kit minus the bag inside 36 hours. Awesome service.

On the trail they are fantastic, great throw, a bright white light and very light weight. They force you to flow as you are able to look so far down the trail.

I am now riding more often as with great lights winter riding has been easy.

Every rider should own a set of these, honestly I am amazed that people still buy other brands.

Favorite Trail:   Bump Track, Far North Queensland