Vetta HR-50 HRM/Cyclometer Heart Rate Monitor

2.52/5 (62 Reviews)

Vetta HR-50 HRM/Cyclometer

Submitted by Adventure Rider a Cross Country Rider from MILWAUKEE WI

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Ability To Go From Bike To Wrist In One 90-Degrees Effortless Twist. Uncluttered Easy To Recognize Displayed Information, Easy Setup, Easy Buttons, Waterproof For swimming.

Weaknesses:    Rubber button fell out during a ride years later and the company no longer supports this product by simply providing for sale a replacement button! BAD Manufacturer! I highly Suggest VETTA find a source in Asia and get buttons made! Everyone with this unit please email Vetta... with your concern for a replacement button purchase. No PC Downloading Ability.

Bottom Line:
Find a used VETTA VHR 50 and enjoy the unique painless fast ability to switch from bike to wrist! Exceptional Functionality for riding, training around town... on bike then on foot... back on bike... all the time monitoring the heart rate condition!

Favorite Trail:   Nicolet National Forest

Similar Products Used:   Suunto Fitness Trainers (more money, more serious performance)

Bike Setup:   sweet

Submitted by Helmer a Racer from Tucson, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent durablitiy, always faithful

Weaknesses:    Heart belt

Bottom Line:
I'm a roady of 35 years & recommend this computer for roadies. I have had my Vetta VHR50 for about 8 years. It has always worked well. My negative comment is about the belt. Soon after purchase of monitor I began using my Polar belt with the Vetta VHR50 and find it to be much more responsive, I recommend the Polar over the Vetta belt.
My only need has been batteries, one for computer one for belt.

Purchased At:   Tempe, AZ

Similar Products Used:   Polar

Submitted by Sobiecki Fabien a Weekend Warrior from Heule, Belgium

Date Reviewed: December 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
Can somebody e-mail the instuctions, I lost mine !

less than 1 month

Submitted by John Legg a Racer from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1999

Strengths:
None.

Weaknesses:
It's crap.

Bottom Line:
Bought this piece of $^#*, button fell off two months later. Returned it, got a new one, button fell off two months later. Returned it, got a new one, button fell off two months later. Returned it, store (MEC in Vancouver) told me they were no longer carrying the product due to quality issues and they gave me my money back. Went and bought a Polar (should have done it in the first place).

The Shorn Scrotum

1 Year

Polar XTrainer Plus

Rocky Mountain Vertex T.O., Bombers

Submitted by David Norton a Weekend Warrior from Cincinnati

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Strengths:
Large display, easy to read. Haven't had any problems except the stop watch/ time rest button falling off.

Weaknesses:
The stop watch and time rest button fell off!!

Bottom Line:
PLEASE HELP! Has anyone got a spare push button they don't need? I called Vetta USA and they do not have anything to help me. Brain in customer service was keen to help me out but unfortunately didn't have any parts for the VHR alpha model. So I guesss I'm stuck unless someone can come to the rescue. PLease email me a reply if you can help. The model HRM I have is a Vetta VHR alpha. The button is tear shaped and dark green in color.

Loveland Bike Trail ,Cincinnati

less than 1 month

Out running. Not even on the bike!!

Submitted by Axel a Cross-Country Rider from Germany

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1999

Strengths:
Good concept

Weaknesses:
poor quality of the mechnical components.

Bottom Line:
I like to have only one cyclometer on my handlebar und i like position over the stem,
where it is out of the way. The number of functions are ok for that price.
But after some month i lost 2 of 4 buttons and it's hard using the vetta. Lately the batterie
loses contact all the time, or the hole think crashes without any reason. I guess that makes
it impossible to use it on a mtb.

more than 3 years

Trek OCLV 5000 Roadbike

Submitted by Ron Wright a Cross-Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1999

Strengths:
Combo is nice, very nice.

Weaknesses:
Won't handle off-road

Bottom Line:
Junk. Great concept though. I wish someone would do this right. I dislike the wrist worn models and don't like attaching two items to my handlebars. The vibrations of off-road riding causes the thin metal plates that contact the battery to flatten. The battery no longer makes consistent contact and the unit stops functioning. I bent the plates back several times and eventually the plate broke in two. I then soldered a wire to the plate and put in a piece of foam to press the battery to the contacts. Worked great until I washed the unit with my clothes. :) Oops. Bye bye VR25.

sourdough, nederland, CO

2 Years

Polar and Cardiosport

Trek OCLV hardtail, Manitou SX Ti

Submitted by Kevin Neustadter a cross-country rider from Ponca City, OK

Date Reviewed: March 6, 1999

Bottom Line:

Bought the HR-50 in early '96 and thought it was a good deal ($100 compared to $150 in other catalogs). Actually bought one for me and one for my wife. My HRM failed to work out of the box and sent it back. they took care of me relatively fast and the one they sent me worked as did my wife's. They both worked for just about one year until my wife's stopped working. Sent hers back and was taken care of under warranty. Actually received two from Vetta and was going to send one back, but my unit lost a button (after the warranty expired). Vetta, of course would not help me at all due to the expired warranty, so I decided not to send the other one back. I sent the extra new unit to my brother (who probably does not use it at all) and decided I could make mine work with a paper clip to change modes. It seemed to work well over the next year, even after changing the battery once. I recently had to change the chest transmitter battery and it worked for two weeks and died.I called Nashbar and Colorado Cyclist (as well as several local runners and cyclists) and asked their opinion of Polar vs. the others. Everyone recommended Polar. Polar's chest transmitter (2 year warranty, and will probably last 3-4 years) is sealed, so no moisture can get in. When the battery dies after the warranty expires, you send it back to Polar and the send you another for $40. Seems pricey, but it is worth the extra headaches and if you do the math, it probably will be more cost effective in the long run (if you have to buy a whole new HR monitor every 2-3 years). I chose the Polar Protrainer NV ($140 at Colorado Cyclist, $150 at Nashbar), but I recommend any Polar--pick the one that fits your needs vs. budget.Don't buy a combination HR monitor/bike computer. If you need a HR monitor, buy a Polar. If you need a bike computer, buy a good cordless computer like the Cateye Cordless or Cordless2 (I own one and like it). Even though I don't like the Vetta HR-50, I did like my Vetta C500 cordless computer (older, square model). I still use this computer even after 5 years and a broken fork mount--I just zip tie the sensor to the fork.I give the HR-50 a one rating, only because I can't give it a zero. P.S. I have one or two spare (new) handlebar mounts for my old HR-50 if someone wants them. Maybe a trade for something.

Submitted by Tan Chee Hock a weekend warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

Bought a VHR-50 in Nov 98 for just S$80/=(Great Bargain!!!). I think it is one of the best device right behind the Polars(pricey!!!!). It works well and the gripe I have about it that the HR Sensor is not responsive enough. Also, the single mode button on the left side of the meter has dropped out. These points aside, I think it is a great deal if you use it right and take good care of it.Can anyone tell me how to get it fixed in Singapore? Appreciate if someone out there can do so.

Submitted by Felipe Bunster a cross-country rider from Ecuador

Date Reviewed: January 5, 1999

Bottom Line:

Me encantaria tener nuevamente un coputador Vetta ya que son exelentes, lastimosamente en Ecuador no he conseguido algun representante, por lo que no lo tengo aun, solamente existen aqui los Polar que aparte de ser malos son carisimos son dificiles de ocupar y mas ensima el diseño es pesimo. Bueno espero tener repuesta de Uds. ya que me interesa comprar uno con las caracteristicas del polar pero de buena calidad y de precio razonable. Saludos y feliz año.

Submitted by MARCELO ARANCIBIA from CHILE

Date Reviewed: December 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

IM INTERESTING IN PURCHASING YOUR PRODUCT. CAN YOU PLS TELL ME WHERE I CAN BUY IT BECAUSE I HAVE ONE AND IT DOESNT WORK AND HERE IN CHILE WE DONT HAVE AN OFFICE OR A REPRESENTATION OF YOUR ENTERPRISE, SO I WANT TOO BUY A NEW ONE.

Submitted by Mark Renkert a weekend warrior from Burlington, Vermont

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am a chronic cross-trainer, riding 120 miles per week and running 40 miles per week. Being frugal, I purchased a Vetta product, while a fellow runner, Bill, bought the Polar Product. Bill's unit, a polar, outperforms my Vetta by a lot. In fact, if Bill and I run together his Polar interferes with my Vetta, but his Polar unit is unaffected. Next: when trail running, my Vetta is easily jostled by jumps over trees and logs and sharp inclines and so when you are finished your run shows that you have a certain time under your training rate you programmed. This is an error, of course, unless I really can run up a 35% grade with a HR of 112. For the price: it is a good unit as it is waterproof and pretty hardy, but it is easily influenced by all kinds of EMI ranging from CB's, to Cell PHones, to strong power lines.And Lastly, call Vetta at 800 Go Vetta and you'll talk to Mandy. Mandy doesn't answer her phone, is unaccommodating, doesn't tell you where you can get replacement parts and is quick to tell you that they have no inventory on hand to service us whatsoever. So to buy a Vetta is to be left to the wolves. Worst customer service and support I have experienced in my adult life.

Submitted by Mark Renkert a weekend warrior from Burlington, Vermont

Date Reviewed: November 23, 1998

Submitted by Chris a racer from Renton WA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am a member of the International Mountain Bike Police. I have a VHR-50 that I received as a gift about 2 years ago, and I keep it on my duty bike. I don't use the heart monitor at work. The only problem that I have had was after a competetion when I taco'd my front wheel, breaking the wire Nothing that a little splicing and heat tape couldn't fix.

Submitted by Toby Odell a weekend warrior from Pasadena, California

Date Reviewed: July 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am a road rider and just happened upon this site. I have owned my VHR50 for a couple of years now and until this past month it has worked perfectly in every regard. I had a serious crash last year which put me in the hospital and although the VHR50 took the weight of the crash (!!!!) and was terribly scatched it continued to work perfectly. I have logged about 3000+ miles ,including 2 California AIDS Rides, with this computer. On this last AIDS ride the top button popped off at the start of the ride. I tape it down and the unit continued to work until it was soaked during one day on the ride where we had to ride for about 50 miles or so in the rain. Although I appreciated the fact that the speedo suddenly showed me doing 194mph uphill (!) that was the last of my VHR50. Wish I knew where to get it fixed. Or, if anyone has any alternative HRM ideas I would be gald to hear of them.