Timex IronMan 50 Lap Heart Rate Monitor

2.3/5 (27 Reviews)

Submitted by hwhishon5 a Weekend Warrior from Peoria, IL, USA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2011

Strengths:    Easy to use, quick to link up and run Heart rates

Weaknesses:    Complete and I mean complete garbage. My watch completely soaked itself while swimming a triathalon which was the first and only time I submersed the watch. The watch itself if bumped chipped and scratched like it was made out putty. After wearing the watch daily for just a few weeks, it started to look so bad, I took it off and only used it when training. My main training is cycling.

Bottom Line:
Don't even consider this product as it will not hold up. I also have 3 friends who bought this since the first of the year. All have had problems or complete failure with either the watch or the the HRM. Stick with Polar

Favorite Trail:   The Next One

Purchased At:   Dick's

Similar Products Used:   I had to go back to my sette watch/hrm I have had for 3 going on 4 years now that I paid 7.95 for and still works flawlessly and looks better than this one after just a few months.

Bike Setup:   Pivot 429

Submitted by CADLAC a Weekend Warrior from Highlands Ranch, CO USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2011

Strengths:    Looks Good

Weaknesses:    I just want an HRM that works. Put it on, touch the start button and it works. Not this one! Still looking for a simple HRM "that just works" when you want it too.

Bottom Line:
Didn't like the Timex. Good watch Bad HRM

Purchased At:   Big 5

Similar Products Used:   Polar

Bike Setup:   Not the best

Submitted by GARY CALVER a Cross Country Rider from LONDON ONTARIO CANADA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2010

Strengths:    EASY TO READ AND OPERATE

Weaknesses:    LOSES SIGNAL EVEN WITH A FULL SWEAT ON.

Bottom Line:
The timex people in Canada and Little Rock have been very good. They just sent me my third watch and they immeadiately reversed the $7.00 charge again.
When the watch works it is great but for calories burned it is not accurate
This is a poorly made product. The last serrvice person said they would ugradeto a better watch if there is another problem.

Favorite Trail:   QUIET PAVED ROADS

Purchased At:   sportchek

Similar Products Used:   I have a GARMIN forrunner but the h/r numbers are too small to read. I AM LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT PRODUCT

Bike Setup:   TREK CARBON FIBRE ROAD BIKE, AND OLD CENTURION DAVE SCOTT IRONMAN TRI?/ROAD BIKE. Both are great bikes

Submitted by Carlos Rivera a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2009

Strengths:    Good value for the features it has.

Weaknesses:    It is a bit ugly watch...

Bottom Line:
I want to share my experience on getting the watch to again receive signal from the HRM transmitter. It stopped and I replaced the battery, but that alone did not work. What I did was try and "reset" the watch (i.e. remove the watch battery, wait some seconds and reinstall it again). As I started to open the watch with my Swiss Army knife, the watch restarted it self as I think I freed the battery momentarily. I did not get to open the watch back panel. After that and after pouring running water to the HRM, it started to receive the signal again.

Favorite Trail:   Any, really

Purchased At:   Christmast gift

Similar Products Used:   100 lap Ironman Timex wrist watch

Bike Setup:   No bike, I use this on the tradmill and on tracks.

Submitted by Gene a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    Very easy to use and check split times. Works very well as a basic watch/stop watch etc.

Weaknesses:    Worked well for the first year. Now everytime I use it to check my average heart rate and max heart rate, the max heart rate is always 240 beats per minutes, which is obviously incorrect and screws up my average heart rate reading. I looked this issue up on the net and it seems that this is quite commmon with Timex heart rate monitors, and other users of the devices have not managed to get it fixed.

Bottom Line:
Not happy about my Timex crapping out on the heart rate readings. Thinking of buying Polar as most people rate these about Timex.

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   My first heart rate monitor.

Bike Setup:   Crappy hybird as mine other bike was stolen.

Submitted by OldNick a Cross Country Rider from Perth Australia

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2008

Strengths:    Works well as a watch. Has lots of features

Weaknesses:    The wait for it! ....sensor. Hopeless. Takes up to 5 minutes and many fiddlings and button presses to start up. Readings of 30BPM (come in Miguel )Has dropped out on my wife's during a ride.

Bottom Line:
Mine is actually an Ironman Triathlon.

I give it 3 FCs fro value because it's not a bad watch. Two FCs overall, because of the HRM function instability.

I wish I read MTBR before I bought. I have never regretted doing that in the past.

Ok watch to wear as a watch. Sensor problems as many others have posted.

Almost _too_ many features. Basic operation and setup can be hidden under all the "fruit"...and I am a bit of a techno freak.

I am going to keep trying them for a while, to see if overall they give us enough data percentage to be useful/trustable. but I am not happy.

It may well be "Polar, here I come." based on the reviews here.

Favorite Trail:   mybackyard

Purchased At:   heartmonitors

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock 2008 Giant Yukon.

Submitted by chewyadri a Weekend Warrior from el paso tx

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2008

Strengths:    As a busy working mom, it measures time outs as well as how long something is in the oven to how long you worked out. Its a cool looking functional watch that offers a chronograh as well as timer and review functions. The heart rate monitor is an extra feature plus a nice incentive to remember to exercise.

Weaknesses:    I don't think the calorie burn count is accurate at all. But inaccurate or not, it gives me a number to measure and compare the intensity of the different styles of running such as short distance, long distance or interval as well as compare strength training and high intensity to low intensity workouts.

Bottom Line:
I use it more as an everyday watch and the conveniece of just strapping on for a workout makes it work for me. As a lady I have no problem with the chest strap making contact since the strap is under another strap. Sorry boys.

Favorite Trail:   anything by a golf course

Purchased At:   Some outlet store

Similar Products Used:   Tis wa a first since I bought a watch with a heart rate monitor versus a heart rate monitor with a watch.

Bike Setup:   The garage, I'm a runner.

Submitted by Dallas a Racer from Fayetteville, Arkansas

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2007

Strengths:    Decent Watch, nice cosmetics

Weaknesses:    HRM rarely works. The only time is has worked for a full ride was when it was raining, otherwise it only works for maybe 15min tops

Bottom Line:
dont waste your money.

Purchased At:   heartratemonitor.com

Bike Setup:   Specialized Tarmac

Submitted by Lynda Racey a Cross Country Rider from Plymouth MI USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to set up, perfect for smaller writsts, lots of features for the price

Bottom Line:
I got this HRM to replace my Sports Instruments HRM which I broke crashing into a tree...I was looking for a HRM with a few extra features (more than one target zone, calories, etc) but not too big and bulky. The Timex Ironman 30-lap is the answer! It was really easy to set up and worked perfectly out of the box. And the price was right too. Next step is to get the data sensor for cadence/speed.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim, Moab

Purchased At:   heartratemonitor.com

Similar Products Used:   Sports Instruments ECG and Pro 9 line

Bike Setup:   Titus Racerx
Guru Chron Alu

Submitted by Bert a Weekend Warrior from Okotoks, Alberta

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2005

Strengths:    looks sporty

Weaknesses:    Frequently looses signal (ERR reading). Erratic reading! On my two most recent rides I had readings of 136,138,124,110, and 90 all within 5 minutes and still at same cadence and terraine. A piece of junk. I replaced battery in transmitter and receiver with no improvement! Lots of moisture for contact.

Bottom Line:
I could only recommend this unit as a wrist watch.

Purchased At:   Mountain Equipement C0-OP

Similar Products Used:   Vetta (older model that lasted about 6 years and had many more features). I have now purchased a Polar A5 - $95.00

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2005

Strengths:    Nice Setup. Nice velcro strap. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    I sent it back to Timex two times. It would just shut off for no apparent reason and was unable to be rescusitated [sp?] by even a watch shop. Eventually I got a replacement. It's been working fine for 3 months.

The HRM does have some readings issues like the other reviewers wrote, but it has only affected me a few times. Overall kinda annoying but liveable for under 50 bucks.

Bottom Line:
I would buy the newer model, but not the old one I got before it died twice. If you have the money, get a Polar A3. Only a score more bucks and a heck of a lot better.

Favorite Trail:   Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Road Rider, cyclocross racer, mountain fiend

Similar Products Used:   Polars

Bike Setup:   SC Superlight, Lemond Poprad

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, Texas USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Strengths:    Great watch, good heart rate monitor!

Weaknesses:    Must have good contact with chest (don't they all).

Bottom Line:
I was scanning reviews and noticed the low marks that many have given this product. I have used this product for over 3 years and definitly feel as if I got my money out of it!

To address the loss of signal... if there is not good contact or a dry contact yes the readings will be off. Usually after running/riding a bit sweat takes care of that issue. In fact I have used it while swimming just out of couriosity, and it still worked. It remained dry and continued to give a good signal except on one stroke (I cannot remember which) when the electrodes would loose contact with my chest.

The fit was good, but would slip some no big deal, I'd just adjust it as I went.

My 2 cents: It's a good product for the money, great reliable watch and a good heart rate monitor. Would I buy another? No, only because I am going to upgrade my HR monitor and Speed and Distance watches for the new 3g intigrated unit.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore Grapevine Lake

Purchased At:   Can not remember

Similar Products Used:   Speedo HR Monitor

Bike Setup:   Trek

Submitted by dawg_man a Weekend Warrior from halifax

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2004

Strengths:    not too bad as a normal watch, but thats about it.

Weaknesses:    like others have said:
-sometimes it works but often doesn't
-sometimes displays bizzare heart rates such as 41 or 57 when climbing up a hill (obviously my heart would be at 141 or 157)
-Almost impossible to get a max heart rate while running. It will cut out entirely for some reason. It seems to fail when the upper abdominal muscles are flexed (what a pos).

Bottom Line:
I could never recommend this product to anyone, with all the problems I've had. It can barely be called an hrm. Despite being a little ugly it is a decent watch, and thats what I'm using it for now.

Its very frustrating to sprint up a hill trying to get a max heart rate, and get nothing from this hrm. This unit is also useless near large powerlines, such as a powerline trail.

My friend has one of these timex hrms, and a polar. The polar is vastly superior.

I got mine on sale, and didn't have time to read these reviews first. I wish I had, cause I never would have bought it.

Submitted by Mike from Snellville, Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2004

Strengths:    1.Strap holds watch on wrist..miraculously

Weaknesses:    1.HRM does not function 50-60% of the time (averages are way off) (Gel does not improve reception)
2.Cannot display current time & lap time
3. Software very buggy HRM will turn on when recovering HRM averages requiring it be shut off or draw battery low.
4. Bezel is not scratch resistant.
5. Manually depressing the split timer while watch is dsplaying signal lost causes the watch to ignore the lap time entry. This happens ALOT forcing you to always check that the lap is entered.
6.Scroll and set buttons have had the surface coloring wear off and now look like trash
7. The indigo light, while cute, takes too long of a button press to reach "stay on longer" mode and once there times out faster than the time it took to hold the button to get it in that mode in the first place.
8. Does not record max HR or Min HR over the training period.
9. HR strap pinches hair on chest.

Bottom Line:
This is a watch...That's it. Forget the HRM it's junk. Timex Customer support is deplorable, requiring me to spend money in order to attempt to fix what is an underdesigned, innefective, poorly engineered timepiece. It will never work properly even when "Fixed".

I have strapped this watch to..(did I mention the strap actually works).. the handle on my barbeque and use it for what it really is meant..A steak timer. It is a permanent reminder to NEVER NEVER take a licking like this again.