Sports Instruments Circuit 5 HRM Heart Rate Monitor

Circuit 5 HRM

Submitted by Douglas Montgomery a Racer from Downers Grove, IL

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2006

Strengths:    Working great after about 8 years of use

Bottom Line:
I am sad to report that Bill Corliss died Saturday in a cycling accident near Park City, UT.
More information is available on velonews.com.

He will certainly be missed.

Favorite Trail:   Bruno's Run

Purchased At:   Blazing Saddles

Similar Products Used:   polar

Submitted by Selva Sol a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2005

Weaknesses:    Does not work in water

Bottom Line:
I've sent 3 emails to Sports Instruments via their contact email asking for their support on the ECG5 Heart Rate Monitor and haven't received a response. I purchased 3 of these monitors in December 2004 (two as gifts). I use the heart rate monitor during my swim workouts. During my first five workouts it functioned perfectly well. After that, the monitor did not work.

In subsequent swim workouts: the monitor recorded my heart rate after I showered but before I got in the pool. Once I got in the pool it would not register a heartbeat. If I got out of the pool, it would pick up a heartbeat. Twenty minutes into the swim workout, the monitor would erratically register a heartbeat.

I would appreciate a response from Sports Instruments. I want a heart monitor that will work during swims. If your monitors don't work in the pool, give me my money back.

The reason I bought your product was that comments from other users said that you provided excellent support. Well, where is this great customer service?

Favorite Trail:   Catawba

Purchased At:   amazon

Submitted by SGT. ROCK a Racer from Edmonton, AB

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Three year update from my last post - Circuit 5 is still going strong after four years. No problems at all. Just replaced the receiver unit's battery for the second time. This unit was worth every dollar I paid for it in '99.

Submitted by Don Bouldrey from RObertsdale AL USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    Accurate, usable, inexpensive. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Weaknesses:    None with Bill Corliss on the job

Bottom Line:
I've owned a "Frestyle" HRM for quite some time that developed a problem early on with the "set" function. The heart rate function and stopwatch always performed flawlessly. Last week, on an internet search, I found this forum and learned my unit was made by Sports Instruments and I learned of Mr. Bill Corliss and the service he has provided to users of this forum. I contacted him by email to see if he had any tricks to make it function properly. Indeed, he did. He emailed me back almost immediately and asked if I would send the unit to him so he could fix it for me. He also requested I send him the transmitter so he could check the entire system and refresh all the batteries. I shipped it off to him only last Thursday and when I checked the mailbox today (the following Friday) it was back already. Apparently the long-standing problem with the "set" button was terminal because I found that Bill had replaced my old Freestyle with a brand new Sports Instruments model. Needless to say, the unit funtions perfectly and I'm back in the HRM business.

Bill, if you read this, THANK YOU, and rest assured if the the time comes I have to replace this unit, I'll most certainly replace it with a Sports Instruments.

Regards,
Don

Similar Products Used:   Brand P

Submitted by Sebastian Rozkuszka a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton, Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2001

Strengths:    Great price
Many features tha brand that cost 3x as much dont have
Very easy operation
Good display

Weaknesses:    Goes out under power lines
Chest strap had to stay exactly in place
Chest strap had to be tight

Bottom Line:
Good heart rate monitor for beginners and people on a budget.
Does go out when strap moves to much or when under some heavy power lines. Also does not work with women who have large chest (does not work for my girlfriend at all)
If your low on money and cant afford a Polar this is a model that'll get you by!

Purchased At:   Supergo.com

Bike Setup:   Klein Mantra 1999 (MTB)
Cannondale F 800 (ROAD)

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Raleigh, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    Offers as much info as HRMs 2x as much. Accurate, durable, time in/out of target range. Different displays depending on preference. Comfortable chest strap.

Weaknesses:    Will sometimes flake out around power lines

Bottom Line:
After using Polar products for 4-5 years, the ECG 5 is a solid change. It is much more reliable than Polar and you don't have to pay $40 to have the battery changed. If you're looking for accuracy with a ton of features...get this HRM!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, near Nanatahala, NC

Purchased At:   trisports.com

Similar Products Used:   Polar Pacer

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F900 mtn.
Marin road

Submitted by Don a Racer from Geneva Illinois

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2001

Strengths:    Customer service is A+

Weaknesses:    The product itself seems to have inherent flaws in design or construction...or both. See below.

Bottom Line:
This is another followup from 11/28/00 and then 4/06/01. I got my HR monitor back from Bill in early April. It worked great......for a week. Literally 7 days. Then, I noticed the "glow" light wouldn't turn off. I tried unsticking various buttons, etc. Wouldn't work. I emailed Bill, he was gracious enough to call almost immediately and offered AGAIN to fix or replace. Said the buttons sometimes get "burrs" on them and stick. Anyway, its race season, and I really don't have the time or energy for this anymore...It costs a week and $10 to Fedex it out...Sports Instruments has fantastic customer service, but I really feel the product needs to be retooled, with heavy emphasis on user input regarding design and usage.

Purchased At:   Mission Bay, Elgin IL

Submitted by Marla a Cross Country Rider from Centerville, Utah

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Strengths:    Customer Support/Service Rules!
Affordable with variety of functions

Bottom Line:
I purchased this heart monitor on-line appx. a year ago. About 6 months into use, the heart rate display wouldn't work. I replaced the batteries as instructed, and still no luck. I chalked it up to a bad purchase through ebay until I stumbled onto this review sight. Sent my monitor to Bill and within 1 week received a new watch back with no questions asked. Monitor works perfect! Thanks SI!

Purchased At:   ebay/ediscountbike.com

Submitted by Glen Gobel a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Functions
Low price
Customer service

Bottom Line:
I would like to send a special thanks to Bill Corliss for the prompt service on my circiut5. Not only was the case (it broke where one of the pins inserted) replaced but he took the liberty of replacing the battery and sent a new watch strap as well. Now that's customer service. BTW the HR has always worked great and has the features of more expensive models from other manufactures.

Keep the rubber side down.

Purchased At:   M.E.C.

Submitted by Don a Racer from Geneva IL

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2001

Strengths:    This is a followup to a post 11/28....Bill Corliss from Sports Instruments emailed me, asked me to send my monitor and strap in, and he would either fix or replace. When I (finally) got around to sending it to him, the turn around time was a week to a week and a half. Amazing. Free. Works great.
I always say customer service starts when a problem appears, and in this case, customer service was top notch. They are there when you need them!

Bottom Line:
Dependable service if/when you need it.

Purchased At:   Mission Bay

Submitted by Eric from Davis, CA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    Very Reliable
Great Customer Support
Many Functions (Stop watch, timer, ave HR, zones, etc.)

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
My watch died about the same time my old HR monitor kicked the bucket (black display in the summer heat). I was given $100 gift cert. for Father's day and couldn't decide whether to get a watch or a heart rate monitor. The SI Circuit 5 gave me both! Shortly after purchase, the mount for the band broke when I was strapping the HRM on my bars. I Sent it to SI and quickly received replacement, no questions asked. I use it on the bike when I ride, and I wear it as a watch all day long. Sometimes I monitor my HR at work. I see some really low numbers, especially in boring meetings.

Similar Products Used:   Polar Beat

Bike Setup:   Ron Cooper Road Bike w/ Kestrel EMS Fork, full Campy NR (circa 1973), Speedplay pedals, Cinelli Bars & Stem, Serfas ARC dual density saddle

Submitted by Steven Peplinski a Weekend Warrior from Calgary Alberta

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2001

Strengths:    Great product support! Comfortable chest strap,

Weaknesses:    At times the buttons seem a little small and sticky. Light display could be brighter at night

Bottom Line:

I used my monitor for about 18 months before the display went blank. I followed the manual and had a watch repair shop replace the batteries but the display was still dead.

I sent off the monitor to Sports Instruments to see if they could fix it. Three weeks later the monitor was Fed Ex'd to my door now functioning with new batteries (again). The repair and shipping was done at no charge.

According to the letter sent back to me by Mr Corliss at Sports Instruments, it is very common for watch batteries to be dead from sitting on a shelf too long.

This is fantastic customer service. I had expected my monitor to be gone for 6 weeks minimum and be asked for $$ to repair and ship it.

I will buy another Sport Instruments. The monitor works well and is backed by its manufacturer. Its nice to know that you'll be able to use it for a few years and not have to toss it out at the first sign of trouble.

Purchased At:   MEC

Bike Setup:   Lemond Zurich Shimano 105, KHS with XT

Submitted by Bill Corliss from Park City, UT USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2001

Strengths:    Hi folks, Several of the recent reviews of this product are related to dead or dying batteries. Anyone having similar problems with this or other Sports Instruments products please email me and I will arrange to get the unit repaired and working properly for you.

Bill Corliss
Director of Product Development, Sports Instruments Inc.

Bottom Line:
I hope that this is not an abuse of this site. We just want to make sure that everyone is happy using our stuff

Submitted by Hans a Weekend Warrior from Calgary, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2001

Strengths:    Price, ease of battery replacement.

Weaknesses:    Reliability.

Bottom Line:
Used semi-regularly for 16 months, then both batteries died. Then display went flaky. Now I get irregular/innaccurate HR readings, so I can't use the product reliably anymore.

Submitted by Don a Racer from Geneva, IL USA

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Strengths:    Price

Weaknesses:    Reliability

Bottom Line:
I bought the Circuit 5 in late August, early Sept 2000 after borrowing a friend's Polar. Features seemed comparable, price was right. First the audible alarm failed, then the display started to go. I replaced the watch battery, that didn't help. Then I replaced the chest strap battery, that didn't help. Now the display LCD is all goofed up. I am beginning to think maybe there is only one brand to buy, and that I wasted $100. I never used it swimming, only training runs & bikes and in races. I can't recommend this product.

Purchased At:   Mission Bay Multisport