Sports Instruments ECG series Heart Rate Monitor

3.58/5 (40 Reviews)

Sports Instruments ECG Series Heart Rate Monitors embody our latest telemetric heart rate technology. Ergonomically shaped to fit the natural curve of your wrist, they offer unequaled comfort. The new, custom-designed screen font and high-contrast display, as well as the Ultra NightGlow™ reversed backlight, result in dramatically improved readability in all light conditions. And a new, advanced heart rate processing algorithm makes the ECG series the fastest, most stable, and most accurate monitors we’ve ever produced.

Submitted by Tracey

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2014

Strengths:    Very good mileage out of

Weaknesses:    Broken strap??? Anyone ever had this problem and knows where to find replacement strap

Bottom Line:
Overall a good product

Submitted by Richard S

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2013

Strengths:    Great for keeping heart rate and timing.

Weaknesses:    Poor quality band. Cracked and snapped. No replacement. Many complaints.

Bottom Line:
Fair quality but if band breaks then it is worthless unless you could find a replacement.

Submitted by Norm Smith a Racer from Phoenix, AZ. USA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2012

Strengths:    I received this as a gift several years ago. I have had the battery replaced 3 times, and it still works great. Operating manual is reasonably clear

Weaknesses:    Operation is NOT intuitive, the manual is a must. Company appears to be defunct, as I have tried all of the websites listed in the manual, and all of the emails in the manual, with no luck.

Bottom Line:
Great equipment, too bad the company is gone.

Favorite Trail:   Road biking

Purchased At:   Received as gift

Bike Setup:   Full suspension Specialized, Caloi hard tail, Carbon road bike.

Submitted by Mic a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2010

Bottom Line:
I think the company has gone out of business. A web search, including WhoIs, was all dead ends. It WAS a pretty good value. Model ECG2 had the right features for me and a great price. But it crapped out after two years. After taking it apart it looked like water or sweat got inside. Too bad. For the price I could easily justify buying another.

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, WA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2010

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Band keeps breaking. Put new batteries in band and watch. Still kept loosing signal in the middle of workout. No address, phone, anything found in manual on how to address warranty claim. Only web-site . . . . does not exist.

Bottom Line:
I got ripped off!

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Polar - Nice buy, but no back light.

Bike Setup:   LeMond road bike.

Submitted by j evans a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2010

Strengths:    One of my favourite watches. I have a dozen

Weaknesses:    The band keeps breaqking and I do not know where to send it for epaiirs.

Bottom Line:
Tell me where to send it for a new band.

Submitted by barbara a Weekend Warrior from milton-freewater, oregon, usa

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2010

Strengths:    lots of info available

Weaknesses:    quit working after 1 year - two year warranty but no address to return for repair

Bottom Line:
Would very much appreciate a phone number to call or an address to send non working product for repair - can anyone help me?

Favorite Trail:   blue mountains

Purchased At:   big 5 sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   yes

Submitted by William Fold a Downhiller from Rocky Mtns USA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2009

Strengths:    Many useful functions, never fails, never gets janky

Bottom Line:
a great HRM for the price. a bit tricky to change the watch battery but fairly easy if you have patience and jeweler's screwdrivers.

I don't understand the review of the fellow just before me, below. He is describing something other than what I have. I found the owner's manual comprehensive. I never had any reason to call a help-line or visit a website. if you're afraid of changing the watch battery yourself, take it to a jeweler. no problem.

5/5 for this great HRM

Similar Products Used:   Polar HRM

Bike Setup:   irrelevant

Submitted by Marc Robinson a Weekend Warrior from Prairie Village, KS

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    None, that I can tell

Weaknesses:    Web site given in product book is nonexistent, got stuck in voice mail jail (flipped me between one menu and another) when calling for help, and instruction book does not tell how to turn on the watch. It may have come without a battery, but then why does the booklet tell how to change the transmitter battery, but says nothing about the watch battery itself?

Bottom Line:
I will NEVER buy another product from this company.

Favorite Trail:   various Jo. Co. trails

Purchased At:   Fund raiser

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Hybrid. I ride the same bike for street and trails.

Submitted by timthetoolman a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    Price and features

Weaknesses:    Battery life. Try to not use the light and the life is reasonable.

Bottom Line:
Unless there are others in this price range I would buy again if the one I have fails. It is 3 years old and I have used it about 2200 miles.

Here is how to change the battery in the Sports Instruments ECG 3 ECG3:

Here is how wrist unit (receiver) battery in Sports Instruments can be changed:

Required:

1. Patience!
2. Jewelers flat and Phillips screw drivers (sold any place that has tools)
3. Magnifying glass--best it does not have to be hand held
4. CR2032 battery--very common
5. Needle, straight pin or other device with small point

Remove band by:

* turn watch unit to back side
* Apply a small amount of pressure with finger pushing strap up and away from the watch body (basically at 45 degrees)--band fits in a groove and must follow groove to come off.
* Use small flat screw driver gently push in pin on pin's raised grooves (toward band, along pin axis) from either end of pin to collapse it and be careful that pin does not fly away as it is spring loaded.

Remove four Phillips screws holding back on.

Remove battery and electronics from housing by turning watch over.

This part is a little tricky and you likely will want a magnifying glass-- The metal strap that holds the battery to the electronic assembly has hooks on both ends. The side with the wider hook that goes over TWO black plastic tabs is the end that you will unhook first. With a needle (blunt end) or other pointed device GENTLY pull hook over the two plastic tabs. If you are using a straight pin you may want to grind it so it is not sharp. My smallest screw driver was too wide and would have increased chance of damaging plastic tabs. Now the strap comes off and the battery can be changed.

When putting everything back clean finger prints from glass and screen first and make sure that the o-ring the fit between watch back and unit are in the groove. I did not have to mess with this as the o-ring never came out of groove but this is what keeps the moisture out.

Over all the job is not too bad but take your time and if you are having issues stop and take a break. I guess that it took about 10-15 minutes to take apart.

Purchased At:   Peformance Bike

Bike Setup:   Specialized Alley Comp

Submitted by Bud Hawks a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cannot do math, not waterproof, not accurate

Bottom Line:
It was fun at first, but seemed to have math errors. The times in each zone did not compute with the percentages in each zone. It got water inside after a quick rinse off shower. Took the back off, let it dry out. Next rinse off shower, was wet inside again. On final excursion, a strenous mtn. bike ride, it had my heart rate between 44 and 65. I am not in that good a shape. Customer support was indifferent at best, suggested I return it, did not answer my question asking if I should try another one.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Bike Setup:   Klein Adept Comp

Submitted by Keith Q a Cross Country Rider from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, durable, nice features

Weaknesses:    No peak heart rate

Bottom Line:
I have last year's (blue) ECG3 monitor and use it for every ride, mainly for lap times and average heart rate. It's held up great, no complaints whatsoever. The only additional feature I'd like to have is Peak Heart Rate, but it's hard to complain about anything for what it cost me. Great product for a great price!

Favorite Trail:   Lake Crabtree

Purchased At:   Performance

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant Anthem 1 frame, custom build
2005 Giant Trance 1 frame, custom build

Submitted by John Howell a Racer from Austin

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2007

Strengths:    Low price, easy to use, keeps lots of informaton. Great when it works!

Weaknesses:    Poor wrist band connection, watch has fallen off several times when riding. You have to remove the wrist band to replace batteries - that makes the wrist band connection even weaker.

Bottom Line:
I've owned four monitors made by Sports Instruments. The first couple lasted six months to a year and I was pretty happy with them. The third failed within a month of purchase. Same for this last one. I'm going back to Sigma Sport monitor with fewer features - current heartrate is enough for me. I really don't recommend this one.

Favorite Trail:   Any central Texas single track

Purchased At:   Performance, Ebay etc

Similar Products Used:   Sigma Sport, Polar

Bike Setup:   Mid-range components. Mountain bike: Jamis hardtail & dual suspension. Road bike: Vitus aluminum & Cannondale road bikes. Track bike: Fuji.

Submitted by Christian a Racer from Michigan

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2006

Strengths:    Simple to use. Not so many functions that you get lost scrolling through. Everything is right at your finger tipes.

Weaknesses:    Main problem is that it's dead right now. Thought the battery died but it turns out the battery is fine. Just went dead while riding. I noticed right at purchase that sometimes the screen would look goofy, but when I scrolled it fixed itself. I guess now I will find out how good their warranty is. Very dissapointing.

Annoying setup is the button on the right side can change the display while your riding. It's so close to the hand that it just bumps the button. Probably more noticeable while mountain biking since your up and down a lot.

Bottom Line:
I'm not so sure I would buy this product again. I like the set up and the information it stores is perfect for the sport racer. However, having it go dead at 3 months is unacceptable. If it worked, you can't beat it for the price.

Purchased At:   Do Froogle Search