Sigma Sport Sport PC-6 Heart Rate Monitor

3.75/5 (8 Reviews)

Sigma Sport PC-6

Submitted by TonyP a Weekend Warrior from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap, user can replace batteries, good customer service

Weaknesses:    Not many features

Bottom Line:
I was going to buy the PC14, but this was in the sales at $18. Normally it works well, the range is good and there is no interference with the Sigma wireless computer. Once or twice the chestband stopped transmitting and I had to take the battery out and polish it up. I should probably replace the battery since this is an obsolete model now and my unit had probably been in stock for a year or so.

I only wanted to know what my HR was, so I am happy but the PC14 offers some extra features and is still good value.

Purchased At:   Decathlon

Submitted by Jose Antonio Garcia a Cross Country Rider from Madrid, Spain

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2001

Strengths:    Cheap, simple and functional

Weaknesses:    Hummmm......hummmmm. I don't know

Bottom Line:
It's a very functional unit. Use a simple battery, and it is easy to change. Really big display. And is the cheapest unit with this features.

Purchased At:   Local dealer

Similar Products Used:   Basic Polar HR

Bike Setup:   GT Zascar Race 2001 (Shimano XT)

Submitted by Erik a Racer from Madison

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2001

Strengths:    Great features found on much more expensive units

Weaknesses:    Hmmm.... havent found any

Bottom Line:
2 years ago I purchased a Sigma Sport Heart Rate Monitor. It served us faithfully until just recently when the batteries died in the receiver wristband.

I diligently search the web for the Sigma website and submitted a question about where to send the HRM to get new batteries. A customer service person writes back explaining that I can either send in the HRM to them to change the batteries and test the unit, or I could give my address and they would send me new batteries and instructions. I opt for the quicker choice and had them send me new batteries. This whole time I am thinking... NO CHARGE? I mean, Polar just received our other HRM and is charging us $15 for a single new lithium battery! They only cost about $10 but I suppose there is an installation fee?

Sure enough, just today I received a package from Sigma Sport that included a total of EIGHT new Duracell lithium batteries (4 for the receiver and 4 for the transmitter). That's $80 bucks in batteries for FREE!!!!!!

I am not gonna tell you to rush out and buy a Sigma Sport HRM, but WOW what GREAT customer service! You decide for yourself! The way I see it, at 2 years per battery, that's 8 years of extra juice for free!

WOW with a capital W!

Purchased At:   Pro Deal (but not a pro)

Similar Products Used:   Polar, Polar, and more Polar (I own 3 Polars too)

Bike Setup:   bike? Which one? Road? Triathlon? or MTB?

Submitted by Jon Muzilla a Cross Country Rider from Cleveland

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    This is a simple but functional HRM.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This HRM has performed well for a year and half. All of the functions work properly. The only fault may be that some riders might prefer additional features. If you only need to know the intensity of your riding, it's very good.

Favorite Trail:   Vermilion River Run

Purchased At:   Performance or Supergo

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   GT Ultegra and Fisher XT

Submitted by jonathan a Weekend Warrior from st helens, england

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, clear display, can be used off the bike

Weaknesses:    Poor reception with supplied chest strap, no memory

Bottom Line:
Get hold of a different chest strap (my old vetta ones work better) Clear disply, useful alarms in + out of zone. Lack of memory a but of a downer, but I'm not a racer, I ride for fitness, and on the Vetta HRM, all I ever used to do was check time in, above and below zone. Never actually used this to analyse my riding.

Similar Products Used:   Vetta HR1000

Bike Setup:   Road& mountain

Submitted by Pete Custer a Racer from Washington, D.C. U.S.

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap, easy setup, ready to go

Weaknesses:    Lack of features. I have experienced a very low range of transmition. I'm not a mtb'er, I'm a roadie and the only time the moniter could get a signal from the chest strap was when I was in the drops or out of the saddle and my chest was directly above the watch.

Bottom Line:
Generally, I like sigma sport (go team telekom!), but this is best left for people curious about their heart rate. You can set it to beep when you leave your workout zone, but that is the ONLY feature useful to anyone training for anything other than sunday club rides, aids rides, or checking your hr to see if you are burning fat at an optimal rate. Even then, keep the receipt.

Similar Products Used:   nashbar hrmoniter
cyclocomputers

Bike Setup:   road

Submitted by tanja a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    - very easy to use
- good display
(you see what you need - too lines - large font)
- low price

Weaknesses:    Stitches in elastic strap are not of the best quality (torn up elastics)

Bottom Line:
This Hearth rate monitor is great if you are a beginer and don't want to waste too much time learning its functionality. Since it is really inexpensive this makes it a great option.
Huge casing is too big for ladies wrists in my opinion.

Although it is ment for beginers I still miss post training info like min/avg/max heart rate but it's a matter of needs and price. You can have all that and much more in Polar XTrainer Plus but it costs 5 times more.

When compared with low end Polar Heart Rate Monitors mine is definitely cheaper, it comes with less documentation (which is not necessary bad!), it comes from not so well respected brand name but if you choose Polar you'll pay for its name!