Sette Stellar F28 Heart Rate Monitor

The Sette F28 provides the necessary feedback and control to maximize your workout experience! Whether you’re focusing on cycle training, muscle toning, weight loss or cardiac conditioning, the Sette Stellar F-28 HRM is a sure bet as a workout partner!

Submitted by domedwards a Weekend Warrior from Ft. Leavenworth, KS

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2009

Strengths:    Inexpensive, comes with handlebar mount, lots of features.

Weaknesses:    Hard to read % of heart rate while working out. Initializing the heart rate monitor is not intuitive and can lead to trouble.

Bottom Line:
Buy this if you are looking for an inexpensive HRM that offers a lot of features. It appears well made.

I use the HRM for MTB rides, on the trainer with my road bike (I'll use it on actual rides when it warms up some), and when running.

The handle bar mount is a nice extra, but it won't fit on large road bike handlebars. I cut a piece from a foam pool "noodle" so it will work on my road bike and I leave the included mount on my MTB.

This next part is huge: when you buy it, do not touch any buttons until you read the directions carefully. The first time you hit a button, you'll be asked for info like your birthdate and other stuff. The buttons are not intuitive and if you hit the wrong one, the HRM will leave that mode. No biggie, except there is no way to get back into that mode except by taking the battery out! I fell victim to this and had to go to the jeweler downtown who thought I was crazy for just wanting him to take the battery out and put it right back in. By the way, if you have a problem, I never got a response back from the email I sent to Sette's customer service, but the customer service guys at Pricepoint.com were very helpful.

When using it, the HRM does a good job, but it is hard to read the number that shows at what % HR you are currently at. This is a big deal when on the trail, but less of a problem when you are on the indoor trainer.

Bottom line, I'd order another one because the price and features can't be beat. I'm going to get one for my wife soon.

Favorite Trail:   Lawrence River Trail

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Some old Cateye combination HRM and cycle computer way back in the mid 90s.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F1000, headshock, Shimano Deore XT. Mallet C pedals.