Sette Quasar Wireless Heart Rate Monitor Heart Rate Monitor

2.7/5 (10 Reviews)

Not just a riding companion, the Quasar Heart Rate Monitors unique package allows users to monitor their conditioning for any type of sport. Click to see the 25 functions and other features.

Submitted by David Kidd a Weekend Warrior from Mt. Airy, NC

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2006

Strengths:    price, performance

Weaknesses:    chest strap battery weak

Bottom Line:
I like this heart rate monitor. I really don't have anything to compare it to. I don't have any trouble when I am riding. The only time I get the high readings is when I get into my car. My wife and I both have one and both work well.

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Submitted by Bresson Llewell a Weekend Warrior from New Zeland

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Strengths:    Price, functions, compatable with Setti bike computer/HRM

Weaknesses:    Light is very weak. Changing batteries

Bottom Line:
I've had this setup for two years during training for two ironmans. The product only let me down a few times; high readings and loss of signal. Usally a change of battery will ammend this but lately I am getting high readings again. Ironically my girl friend wears it fot runs/spins and she never has any issues.

Overall considering what I paid for it (in NZ$) and the what I've put it through it has served me well.

Favorite Trail:   Redwoods Rotorua

Purchased At:   Mr bike

Bike Setup:   Both on road and mb; next to Cateye.

Submitted by Cory Volkert a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2006

Strengths:    great features, comes with mount for handlebar

Weaknesses:    This was an Xmas present. Within six weeks, it began malfunctioning - ridiculously high readings, readings while I wasn't even wearing the monitor. Price Point replaced and now, two months later, this unit is doing the same thing. I use this indoors on a resistance trainer about 400 minutes/week. FM interferance from other electronics should at least be consistent but wasn't - my bike never moves while I am using it so travel thru areas with electronic interferance not possible! I also replaced the all the batteries (chest strap and watch) in both the original unit and the replacement before giving up.

Bottom Line:
I wanted this thing to help keep my winter training on track and, instead, it has been a source of fustration and delay while I messed with the thing trying to get it to work. Don't bother with it. My husband has had a Polar for YEARS, thru racing, touring a training and it only failed once (when it needed a new battery).

Favorite Trail:   Burke Gilman

Similar Products Used:   none yet

Bike Setup:   watch on handlebar next to sigma cadence monitor

Submitted by BIG T a Weekend Warrior from Houstone, Tx.

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2005

Strengths:    Lots of functions. Very affordable.

Weaknesses:    Backlight is weak.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome HRM for the cash. I have this setup on my bike next to my CatEye Enduro with no issues whatsoever. My friend I ride with has a Polar that does NOT affect my readings. I do recommend changing out the cheap 12V battery that comes in the chest strap. You should take out the battery and wipe it dry at least once a week. ***Make sure you install back the supplied rubber seal or moisture will get in.

Favorite Trail:   Memorial Ant Hills & Terry Hershey Park

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by Juan Carlos Prado a Weekend Warrior from Quito, Ecuador

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2005

Strengths:    Cheap, many functions.

Weaknesses:    Looks cheap, Back light is not worth, one day just stop working, nobody there to help you.

Bottom Line:
Honestly, at the beginning worked fine, two months after purchasing one day just stop working, I sent many Emails to Price Point and Sette and nobody answer me back.

First I tough that the battery run down, I put a new battery and didn’t work either, I tried my watch with my brother’s chest strap and worked fine, so the problem was in my chest strap.

A friend of my, who is a electronic technician open it, and found a lot of moisture and rust, he use an especial liquid to clean it and fix it, then worked fine.

Conclusion was, that the original battery was for too long time inside the strap and that produced the rust inside, probably was stored for a long time inside a not to dry magazine.

After was sealed again, has been working just perfectly for almost 6 months with every day use, in mountain and spinning in dry and wet conditions and had no problems.

What I suggest to the rest of the people, is that when you buy the HRM, first take out the chest strap battery and replace it with a new one, then, after every use, dry it with a towel and let it dry (From the moisture) before you stored again.

With this measures o care the HRM will work perfect, no problems and will mark the right information every time (I had the chance to compare it with a POLAR) the only complaint is the Back Light, that is not powerful so wont illuminate at night or dark conditions.

Finally, this is an Ok. HRM if you have the luck I had in having a friend to fix it at no cost.

Similar Products Used:   Polar

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 80 LX (Shifters, Levers, Brakes, Hubs) XT rear derailleur

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from Columbus Ohio USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2005

Strengths:    It makes a for a good watch and has the ability to retain my age and weight. It worked ok for a few months.

Weaknesses:    The HR would jump up and down when I passed people with radar detectors or certain areas on regular rides, which I am assuming has some type of frequency that makes it jump.
It stopped working after a few months, roughly 60-70 hours of use. I replaced the batteries in both the chest strap and the watch. The HR stopped working completely. The watch was fine but it could fine the chest signal. I opened the chest unit and found a lot of moister. Apparently, once opened the chest unit can not be resealed easily.

Bottom Line:
I would suggest spending a little more and get something that is not as easily effected by other fm frequencies. A monitor that can have the batteries replaced quickly and easily. I would also suggest buying from another web site or store other than Price Point. Sette and Price Point should not offer such shoddy products. Maybe Quality Point - where quality is the point.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Polar something or other who's batteries drained within a couple weeks

Bike Setup:   Use it on my wrist

Submitted by Juan Carlos a Weekend Warrior from Quito

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2005

Strengths:    It has many functions including de bike mount

Weaknesses:    It looks a little bit cheap

Bottom Line:
I have been using it almost every day since I got it, my wife uses it doing spinning and I use it in the mountain, I used in heavy rain and mud conditions and had no problems at all, works fine, the chest strap is a little heavy but fits me well and works well.

When I used it, I put it on the bike mount and right next to my Cateye Enduro2 and worked perfect, the mud and rain didn’t affected at all.

I just had some little problems fitting my wife with the chest strap, it gets kind of loose and doesn’t read well her bpm, but with a little bit o gel problem solved.

Purchased At:   PricePoint

Bike Setup:   2003 trek fuel 80, LX (Shifters, hubs, Vbrakes, Levers, Rear Derrailleur)

Submitted by Dave Knox a Racer from Littleton, CO, US

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2005

Strengths:    Strong marketing

Weaknesses:    Weak function

Bottom Line:
I was hoping to get a few of the functions that Polar lacks but ended up being pretty disappointed. Even though the Quasar has good intentions, it doesn't reach its potential. Just about any FM signal will affect it. I also own a Specialized wireless cycle computer. When I get the Quasar's transmitter close to the computer, it reports my heart doing anywhere from 6 to 15 mph. When I'm on aerobic equipment at the gym, the FM transmitters on the TV's affect the Quasar. It reports my HR going from 6 bpm to 120 bpm back to 90bpm in a couple of seconds.

I email Setti and they confirmed that this could happen and apologized for the inconvenience. I would prefer that Setti become greatly inconvenienced for selling such worthless stuff. They know this HRM is junk, that's why Priceline can sell it for so cheap. I should have known... $120.00 HRM for $38.00 -- bullocks!

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Polar

Submitted by Mtn Hack a Cross Country Rider from N. Colorado

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2005

Strengths:    It has functions that a $150 polar does not.

Weaknesses:    The backlight is totally worthless.

Bottom Line:
I haven't had any problems with incorrect hrt rate readings except in the car. A couple of times I didn't take off the receiver and the thing went off the charts. Kind of annoying, but it does not affect the intended function. Also, the thing figures your zones automatically based on age. This sucks for me because I end up using 18 as the age setting and I am nearly twice that. It will allow you to enter a range, but does not use this.... But at $40 (or whatever I paid for it) it has functions that a $150 polar does not.

Favorite Trail:   Horsetooth Mtn Park