Polar Vantage NV Heart Rate Monitor

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Polar Vantage NV

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2001

Strengths:    Very good reliability. Everything you need to know about heart rate. Had monitor for over three years and it stopped working. Sent it back and they returned old monitor along with a brand new monitor. Can't beat that kind of service

Weaknesses:    Turn around for battery change

Bottom Line:
Best monitor on the market for serious training. Also have the computer interface. Great customer service and support although turn around time on service long. Buy it, you'll love it.

Favorite Trail:   Pittsburgh Roads

Similar Products Used:   Several other cheap monitors

Bike Setup:   Rans Stratus recumbent and Greenspeed GTO trike

Submitted by Brent Dakin a Racer from Ames, IA

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2001

Strengths:    Fantastic! With the polar pc interface it totally changes the way you look at training. anything you want to know it is there. min, avg, max hr, time spent in zones, lap time. tons of memory. waterproof. the best hr monitor around.

Weaknesses:    battery, it lasts about a year. if you send it into polar it takes about a week to get it back and will cost about 10-15 US dollars. they do check the transmitter strap and re-waterproof the watch. you could install the battery yourself but you will loose the waterproof seal.

Bottom Line:
The best monitor around

Favorite Trail:   I RIDE THE ROAD! and some trail

Purchased At:   Michael's Cyclery in Ames, IA

Similar Products Used:   an old schwinn wireless monitor purchased in 1989

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Paramount Columbus SLX tubing, Campy Record 10 spd

Submitted by John Computer User a Weekend Warrior from New York City

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2000

Strengths:    Features, quality

Weaknesses:    Battery expense

Bottom Line:
I have a Polar Coach. I bought it after trying the Freesytle ECG4 and ECG5. When I got the first ECG5 home, I found the watch light was non functional, so I returned it. At the store, the salesman showed me the replacement and operated the light. Right....got home and the 2nd one had failed as well, all it took was one operation of the light in the store to burn it out. (So they had a bad lot, it happens.)

So next I tried the ECG4 which Sharper Image is selling. The transmitter was terrible, on a 30 minute exercise, the heart rate was shown correctly for like 20 seconds. Nothing I did would cause it to work reliably. So back to the store it went.

Before I returned it, I bought a Polar Coach. I found to my amazement that the Freestyle ECG4 received the transmission from the "coded" Coach transmitter! So the weak point with the Freestyle monitors is in the transmitter, I would say, and lack of features.

Anyway, the Polar works well for me, it does not lose the signal enough to be of any concern, and I love the sound link data transfer.

The battery replacement cost is an issue, but hey, if the damn thing works, I don't care.

Similar Products Used:   Freestyle, ECG4 and ECG5

Submitted by Morten a cross-country rider from Copenhagen

Date Reviewed: October 14, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought a Polar vantage NV, and it is simply the most outstanding HR-monotor on the market. It provides you with detailed information and can be set up to meet your specific demands. Your pulse-curves can be transferred to a computer via a modem and stored in a trainingdiary that polar provides with the modem. Only complaint is the price......

Submitted by Adam W. Stadler a weekend warrior from POLAND

Date Reviewed: October 19, 1996

Bottom Line:

I am user of set consistings of Polar Vantage NV HRM and Polar Advantage Interface. Vantage NV is sophisticated heart rate monitor, very helpful and reliable very much. When I got little experience I can record full time of my excersises - no disturbances. I gather all my training data in my PC. It is very excited watching my improvements presented in many graphs. During last year, using this personal trainer, I done very big step forward in my fitness. It really works.