Polar S810 Heart Rate Monitor

• Clock w/ alarm
  • Stopwatch
  • Interval training function
  • Recovery function
  • Lap times with heart rate
  • Max/Average heart rate of each lap
  • Downloads data to computer
  • Uploads data from computer

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Wilmington, NC USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    This is a great heart rate monitor (HRM) that is capable of delivering mountains of heart rate and conditioning data if you put time into understanding the functions and settings. It was originally marketted to coaches to be used on multiple athletes. I use if for myself, only, during many diverse training efforts, e.g., cycling, backpacking, kayaking, Tabata protocols, etc. This is not a toy, it is an instrument. Unlike the previous posters complaint about the IR upload to the computer, I found this to be the easiest function of the HRM and have been doing it flawlessly for over 4 years. The ability to record each heartbeat on occassion is indispensible. My most extreme use was wearing it through 6 days of mountain climbing where it never ran out of memory and the data acquired was incrediblely useful for analysis of fitness and dieting. Polar customer service is great.

Weaknesses:    This HRM has only two weaknesses; one is the alarm is often not loud enough, and two is I wish that it could record temperature along with everything else. But my S810 is old and perhaps they have solved both of these concerns with a new model.

Bottom Line:
    I cannot imagine doing any cardio-based training without an HRM, and I cannot imagine having one less featured than the Polar S810.

Purchased At:   Polar USA

Similar Products Used:   none.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Columbia, MD

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2007

Strengths:    The 810 has a large number of functions not available on most other products. In particular, the R-R interval capability was unique when it was first released. The 810 appeared to be a very capable and useful adjunct to my exercise program.

Weaknesses:    The menus are confusing and hard to follow. Documentation was difficult to read. The IR interface to PCs was touchy. The PC software was confusing and poorly designed. It took nearly an hour of fussing every time I wanted to download R-R data. The wrist unit is bulky and the chest strap is uncomfortable relative to other less expensive units.

Bottom Line:
    The 810 was not a "consumer reports best buy." In return for the high price I did not receive the functionality, product quality, or customer support that we all expect from a leading manufacturer. Obviously, with increased competition, there are now many alternatives (now including GPS) from quality manufacturers.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Elkhorn

Purchased At:   Mail order

Similar Products Used:   Several other fitness, GPS, and bicycle brands.

Bike Setup:   Wrist.

Submitted by Mitch Leary a Weekend Warrior from Sheridan, IL USA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2005

Strengths:    Everything you want to test heart rate. This does relaxation, tests for overtraining..........you name it.
    Eight workouts can be programed in and those can be divided into six sections. Beats the standard three(warmup, wrkout, cool) that are with every other polar monitor so a more specialized workout can be done. The computer interface is easy to use and everything can be set up on the PC and then sent to the monitor.

Weaknesses:    Power lines, some gym equipment interfere with signal

Bottom Line:
    This is a serious monitor for people want the best without paying thousands of dollars. I have used polar monitors for over ten years and have never been disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   sarkproducts.com

Similar Products Used:   older polar monitors

Bike Setup:   trek

Submitted by Terry Squier a Cross Country Rider from Canon City, CO

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2003

Strengths:    Ultimate heart monitor toy. You can program all kinds of workouts into it and download information to your computer in a wide variety of exercise software programs (my favorite is PCCoach). It seems to be very accurate most of the time. The out-of-zone alarm is actually loud enough to hear, a drawback I found with the S-710.

Weaknesses:    Probably the cost is the biggest drawback. This is truly for the electronic junkie. Most exercisers will have no need for all of its features.

Bottom Line:
    Not much else to say other than it is truly for those who like to add a little fun into their workouts. It is certainly not cheap, either in appearance, operation, or price. It can provide a lot of information for those that want to analyze their workouts or just want to see how they're doing.

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   Altrec.com

Similar Products Used:   Polar S-510
    Polar S-710

Bike Setup:   Trek full-suspension mountain bike

Submitted by Damian from USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    There is so much here. Many people will say this or that inst as accurate as a real machine as found in a hospital..but those machies are in one place, and while you are hookd to them you dont move..and who knows anyone unless you are in colorado or a sports facility who can get a real VO2 test just by walking in and asking for one? I think they are pretty close. Or you can go the SRM route and pay 2300$..but once you have it you need a PHD to understand it. You have enogh in this HRM to really set up a good year of riding..my interface is in the mail and I have the software already.. its alot easier to manage than my interface + was for my xtrainer..but im learning more everyday

Weaknesses:    Depends, IF you cant set up your vcr or feel frustrated with anything with directions avoid...ITs not super easy to do but its soemthing that reqires you to get used to it. The instructions blends together and its like a tree process in how its set up..if you can beat the learning curve you will be happy..but if you are one to think being technical is crap and "just ride" forget it and do "just that"

Bottom Line:
    I am online alot reading things of what people say of HRM's. The thing is they do help alot. You can tell if you just dont feel like riding or is you are really tired, or even if you are comming down with something. I had no use for the Polar 710 and I think its a compleste waste of money for me personally because of the fact alot of what i do consist of indoor riding the weather here isnt so great..you get better test readings that way..no cars no stops and starts, you can mess about with it and not worry whats in front of you riding. Then when i ride out side I take what I learned indoors with me. When HRM ppl and even bike computer ppl start offering rear wheel sensors options Ill be alot happier the 710 is great but what good is it indoors unless you mount it all to the back wheel and then when you wanna be out side remount it to the front..no thanks. I learned from my xtrianer that I didnt care for thier speed sensors perhaps they have improved...but its still front wheel mount only, ugh.
    As I said, there is a learning curve but once you beat that you will have a much broader perspective on yourself and how you react to exercise..I was always some one who liked numbers and I could branch off them and learn from them...Some people are old school and think oh just ride ride and ride..I have done both of those and my best season ever was when I got a polar accurex years ago..Everything i did was around "numbers and feeling" The 810 takes it a step better..having these things and numbers gives me comfort and teaches me some things i may or may not do wrong..thats why I went with the 810 and Im very impressed with it. When you have numbers to work of of and time you know that you improve..when you can stay in a zone a little longer and can see improving its very helpful even can help you trian when you are down...and yes you can get dependant on them..but so what? I personaly think they are intelligent, more so than riding in the dark...They are for serious people wanting to trian and find form...I lost alot of weight using them and wathicng myself.. now with all the funtions of recovery and such with the 810..i cant wait to unleash what it can do. Of course give yourself a break and dont forget why you ride in the 1st place..I will say that Polar customer service leaves something to be disired..they are great at copy pasting you thier own instruction manual if you have questions which irritates me because its as if they are there for show and not funtion and its been this way since 1994 when I started usiong polar..but polar the unit its self.. when it works is better than anything else..I have e-mailed them directly in finland and they were nice.. also in holland because i understand dutch and I think there they hire ppl who are sport minded..not just ppl who need jobs..The 810 covers everything..it is a next gen HRM better than the vantage ever was I really recommnend it, I am still learning from it but I cant complain.. its complicated.. but thats me doing the learning curve.

Favorite Trail:   x country & road sprints