Polar S725x Heart Rate Monitor

The S725X is a proven and trusted heart rate based training tool for the most demanding multisport training and elite-level competitive cycling. Tough and powerful, it provides the ultimate solution for racing and optimizes every aspect of every one of your training sessions.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Las Cruces, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    Rugged (but we don't get much rain here; i.e., I don't know how waterproof it really is now); lots of useful info (potentially).

Weaknesses:    I can't get it to upload data to my PC. The buttons lost their protective plastic covers after 1 or 2 months - I don't know if the monitor is waterproof anymore. It could be a great training tool, but it's not.

Bottom Line:
* I can't get the infrared connection to work with my PC and Polar's ProTrainer software.

* I have tried everything (believe me), and spent hours and $$$ trying to get the IR link to work.

* I bought the Polar USB IR reader with software; it didn't work and caused problems with my PC. I had to uninstall.

* Since I interval-train, I would like to have a PC diary, and detail about how much time I spent in zones.

* As it is, I can get broad info about how much time I spent in 2 zones by doing subtraction. I can't get an average for those 2 zones. I'd really like info for 3 or more zones.

* In light of all this, it does seem a bit overpriced. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any better alternative (Garmin, Mavic).

Favorite Trail:   Not picky

Similar Products Used:   Other Polar - XTrainer, S710 (quit working after 6 months, battery change didn't fix it, nor did Polar tech support)

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by TwoWheelMan a Racer from E Canada

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Complete recording of HR, speed, cadence data (and power though I haven't tried that). Accurate HR, coded transmitter, etc..

Weaknesses:    could be tougher. Limited to Polar power recorder as far as I know.

Bottom Line:
I've used the 725X for ~2.5y for MTB, road, indoor trainer, and rowing (on my wrist).

This is a great HRM if you do multiple sports and are following a structured training plan(s). It will not only record all exercise data such as speed, HR, cadence, temperature, it will also direct your intervals training if you spend the time to configure it.

If all you want is to record basic stats (avg/max/min HR for laps, stopwatch functions, calorie count) you would be better served by a simpler Polar product.

Though this is a great product that works as advertised, it is not without flaws:

** one of my cadence sensors sometimes doesn't work (the other does..). Flakey. Also, easily knocked out of position on an mtb.
** the button covers on the wrist unit can crack and then come off pretty easily.. Mine did. This is mostly a cosmetic issue, though it does make it a little harder to press the buttons.
** it is too easy to accidentally press the big red button that starts the stopwatch...
** I find the IR download connection dodgy at times, though this is probably Bill Gate's problem more than Polar's. Also, IR isn't that common these days.. How about a wireless USB connection?
** The speed sensor can only go on the front wheel because the wireless link isn't very strong. That's a pain if you want to record distance and speed while riding a trainer.. Only a minor issue though.

Bottom line: Buy it, learn it, and use it regularly.. and you are guaranteed to go faster.

Similar Products Used:   Sports Instrument HRM, other bike-only polars with sonic link

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem FS MTB, Specialized

Submitted by cabbgage a Racer from spain

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2008

Strengths:    This monitor does everything,except ride your bike for you. Loads of add ons.Can be used for other sports too

Weaknesses:    i dont think the speedo and cadence meters would last long on a rough trail on a mountain bike, I have mine fitted to my road bike, and only use the HRM and altitude meter on my Mt bike

Bottom Line:
Seems expensive but worth every penny, i bought it because i wanted to download the data to my computer...its brilliant, you can monitor everything, easy to use. You can also buy add ons like running meter and power meter. As i said earlier Im not sure if the cadence and speed monitos would hold up well on a mountain bike, they are quite big stick out a bit, Overall very impressed!!

Purchased At:   internet