Polar S150 Heart Rate Monitor

2.4/5 (15 Reviews)

Submitted by Neal from DC

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap (especially at 50% off). Does the job.

Weaknesses:    Bike mount requires that you crank it down

Bottom Line:
I ignored the negative reviews and went for it due to the low price. I am not sorry.

Works great on the road, swimming (yep, even underwater), and running. My only gripe is that you have to tighten it a lot for the speed to register in bike mode- but once you do it works great.

Purchased At:   performance bike

Bike Setup:   Road bike with the computer on the end of aero bars

Submitted by Francesco Tognini a Cross Country Rider from Hollywood, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    Big easy to view display.

Weaknesses:    The transmitter from the heart monitor never really worked. I sent it to Polar when it was in warranty, they returned it, after 1 week of use it was the same. There are other things I do not like about it. Not practical. Yo cannot empty or discard the memory without a PC.

Bottom Line:
I would not buy this product again. When you have a problem its your problem. Cannot get a hold or e-mail anyone. Just no reply. I like equipment that works. I am prepared to compromise with simpler equipment as far as it is reliable.

Purchased At:   Revolution Bike store Corral Gable Miami

Similar Products Used:   Cat eye is much better

Submitted by Rick a Racer from Phoenixville, PA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2007

Strengths:    Not many. The watchband is comfortable. I guess that's a plus.

Weaknesses:    Reliability is horrible. The stop button works about 1 out of 10 presses, only if pressed WAY in. No backlight. Horrible customer service.

Bottom Line:
There's a reason that the online retailers are dumping the S150 at 50% off. Because it is a piece of unreliable junk.

Stay way, way clear of this one.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek Red/White

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Garmin Edge, other Polar HRMs

Submitted by Dirt Rode a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2006

Strengths:    None. There are much better HRMs for the money that are more reliable.

Weaknesses:    Its a Polar.
Customer Service at Polar is pathetic.
Hard to use.
Didn't work.

Bottom Line:
On a three hour ride, I had the old Polar S150 freeze up and offer non-stop beeping for two hours straight. Couldn't get the ringing out of my head after the ride. Only way to stop it was to reset it and lose all my data (again). Happened more than once. Good luck getting a hold of Polar, and when you do don't expect any help. Lucky for me Performance took it back. I can deal with an occasional product failure, but when the company leaves you out to dry when you try to resolve it...forget it. This cat will never buy another Polar product again. If I could give less than 1 Flamin Chili I would.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Sports Instrument

Submitted by Duane Leach a Racer from Columbia, TN

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2006

Strengths:    Accurate heart rate monitoring and strong pickup

Weaknesses:    It is very complicated and hard to memorize how to use it. It is a total failure as a bike speedometer. It worked for a total of three seconds.

Bottom Line:
It is not user friendly and does not work as a bike speedometer. Surely there are better and easier watches than this.

Favorite Trail:   Chickasaw Trace Park

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Circuit 5 by Sports Instruments

Bike Setup:   Bianchi

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2005

Strengths:    Easy to use and set up. Never had the speed connection problems others had.

Weaknesses:    Have to reset the trip meter each ride. It has an odometer that will keep cumlative distance. The stop botton very hard to press and had to reset it once already. Really hate that.

Bottom Line:
Think I'll give to my GF and get me the C100. Its wireless and has own code. She always gets the hand me downs. I also think I'll use it for spin class and trun off the speed sen.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   Preformance Bike

Similar Products Used:   First one

Bike Setup:   2005 stumpy pro

Submitted by Ian Lomax a Cross Country Rider from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2005

Strengths:    The HRM is great, I've had zero problems with that and it seems to be pretty darm accurate. I ride alone to work and back everyday so I don't have to worry about the crosstalk.

I found the buttons and the whole setup easy to use after I messed with it a little bit. The reaction time of the buttons is a little slow but it works good for me.

Weaknesses:    I was pretty upset with the way the mount on the handle bars. I have not yet been able to use the MPH feature because the watch will not make contact with the sensor unless I press down on it, so I will be taking that off since it doesn't work. Errrrrr.......

Bottom Line:
It was a good price for a product that has quite a bit of features. I mainly purchased it for the HRM and that is the part that works great. I really like the wireless.

I would give this product a 6.5 -7 on a scale of 10.

Purchased At:   River City Bikes

Similar Products Used:   If you want to monitor your MPH then I would suggest getting the old school speed monitor, one that only reads speed, not HR and all the other fancy stuff.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock 2005

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    Works well as a HR Monitor and the strap with it is compatible with other HR moniters, includding those on running machines

Weaknesses:    As a cycle computer it is a poor choice. The connection between the monitor and the holder frequently breaks down and the display is very poor.

Bottom Line:
Choose a Cat Eye - bike computer makers know the wear and tear bikes go through. I'm getting the CC HR200DW

Favorite Trail:   La Roche #5

Purchased At:   Decathlon

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR COMP

Submitted by Asaf a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2004

Strengths:    Great value for money! Most of the features you can want with almost half the price of better models.

Weaknesses:    No backlight. Crosstalk if VERY colse to another HRM.

Bottom Line:
Great product. It had almost all the features I wanted, except for the backlight and OwnCode (prevents crosstalk). However, to add these features you have to buy the s520 - and that's quite a different price...

When I jogg with other people with HRM there is no crosstalk - only if I deliberatelly get close to check it... The bike mount and bike features are great. The display is clear and has all that I wanted and more.

The bottom line is that riding or jogging is more organized and more fun with it! You can check that you are not running too fast in your long-distance runs on the one hand, and on the other hand prepare excercise set for very difficult intervals and tempo runs. Great product.

Bike Setup:   On Schwinn rocket 3

Submitted by M Snow a Cross Country Rider from Mesa

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    Both Bike computer and HR monitor

Weaknesses:    False HR upto 220 BPM, False speed 56 MPH, emailed Polar, Their fix wet chest first, still inaccurate. Check magnet distance, still intermiitent. magnet mount poor, swings and moves made for road only.

Bottom Line:
This was the most frustrating one of all. For $120.00 it should last at least a year without problems.
I am awaiting Cateyes HR bike computer end of June 04.
The Supergo brand was by far the best performer and the cheapest.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized P Brain, It also failed after 3 months.
Supergo $30 HR monitor bike computer worked better. It also failed after 6 months, Supergo replaced it twice.

Bike Setup:   Titus with all the yada yada

Submitted by Maarten a Cross Country Rider from WA

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2003

Strengths:    Integration of HRM with bike computer.

Weaknesses:    1- The buttons have very bad tactile feedback. It's hard to sense whether you've successfully pressed a button, which is irritating when operating the unit while riding. No other cyclocomputer I've used is so clunky in operation of basic features.
2- I get a lot of interference from overhead powerlines, especially in the city. The HRM will peg to 222bpm. Not a huge deal, but does make the average HR reading useless.
3- There are three readouts on the display: one for the heart rate, and two for bike functions. Changing one of the 2 bike displays occasionally affects the other--hard to explain concisely, but VERY irritating.
4- When using autostart (and who doesn't?), if you take a long break (>15min?) the computer will time out, which will reset the ride time and average speed. Not what I want.
5- The watch doesn't settle into the handlebar mount easily; I have to strap it down VERY tightly or else the contacts from occasionally lose touch and the computer will think I'm not moving.

Bottom Line:
With limited space on my handlebars, I wanted a two-in-one unit, and that's what this product delivers. However, compared to other cyclocomputers it's definitely a big step down in usability. Since the S150 doesn't really have any features that integrate the two sides, like data download for speed v. HR graphs, you might consider keeping your regular computer and getting a (cheaper) separate HRM.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Several other cyclocomputers, but no other HRMs.

Submitted by elmo a Cross Country Rider from bogota, colombia

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2003

Strengths:    very accurate, it's not big so you can wear it too.

Weaknesses:    only records the last session

Bottom Line:
Now I have data of my training, of course there are better products than this one, but for that money including polar tech is a great buy.
I suppose I'm new on cycling but for an entry level rider its great.

Purchased At:   joshep french marketing

Bike Setup:   specilized hardrock pro stock

Submitted by Max a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2003

Strengths:    Ergonomics, display spd +HR + lap time, 3zones, lots of feature

Weaknesses:    Speed measurement not working reproducibly.
Crosstalk.
Not easy to use.

Bottom Line:
I found it to be a big step up from the Protrainer XT.
However, the speed meter does not work anymore which makes the whole instrument useless.
I don't know what to get next.

Purchased At:   REi

Similar Products Used:   Polar Protrainer XT (same problem)

Bike Setup:   A MTB

Submitted by Guy a Cross Country Rider from Israel

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2002

Strengths:    very accurate, reliable. gives you the basic data needed for first time riders(average/current speed,distance,average/current heart rate and percent of max heart rate).you can use up to three different heart zone in a single session.
If you are a beginer- very good entry level heart rate monitor for triathletes, isn't expensive as the wireless versions.
Easy to use

Weaknesses:    You can only review the last session. Once you recorded a new session the previous one is erased.

Bottom Line:
Good buy. You get the important data needed to review your training.

Submitted by J Smythe a Racer from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2002

Strengths:    easy to set up/easy to read/ etc

Weaknesses:    Cross Talk!!!
not wireless!

Bottom Line:
When compared on Polar's website this product does not appear to be that different from the s-510. However this is not the case! First, the cyclocomputer is not wireless, which was a surprise.
But the reason I have returned it was crosstalk! Everyone I ride with has a heart rate monitor and so on rides I would get ridiculous rates that would throw off my max and avg. If the whole reason you buy a HRM is to track your fitness then I would suggest another model, I am going to give the s-510 a shot.
I suppose it would be adequate if you rode alone or in groups without other heart rate monitors and it is cheap.

Purchased At:   scalesgalore.com

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200

Polar S150 Cyclocomputer/Heart Rate Monitor

I would like to know how accurate the cyclocomputer is on the S150 when its on the wrist? ThanksRead More »

Polar S150 $49.99 + 8.00 shipping!!

There are three HRM cyclo watches on ebay for 49.99 plus 8.00 shipping. Guy has %100 feedback. Best price otherwise is about $80 shipped. I've been looking at these for a while and grabbed a great deal.Read More »

polar s150

Any of you have the s150 and regret the purchase? I want a cyclo/hr and the 150 has the basics of a higherend unit without all the extras I would never use at a good price (although it's wired), but any of you have buyer's remorse? If so, why.Read More »