Polar Pacer Heart Rate Monitor

4.38/5 (13 Reviews)

Polar Pacer

Submitted by tyler weiss a Racer from seattle

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2003

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    inconsistent heartrate display;difficult to replace transmitter and watch batteries;outside interference plays havoc

Bottom Line:
This is my second HR monitor and I think it is a piece of junk. The display is erratic and inaccurate. My last HR monitor was a cardiosport,big as an old transistor radio and it broke in a crash. It worked pretty well and the battery was a cinch to change.I thought the Polar would be a step up.Was I wrong! The service from Polar has been nonexistent. I've tried conductive gels and it still stinks.Considering Polar is the most expensive on the market, I won't touch their trash again.

Favorite Trail:   chubb

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   cardiosport

Bike Setup:   trek 8000 and spec. rockhopper

Submitted by Shelly a Cross Country Rider from Lexington, KY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2002

Strengths:    Not too complicated, easy to start. The bars on the side that appear for every ten minutes are great, so you don't have to try reading the small numbers on the bottom of the screen.

Weaknesses:    Default beeping.

Bottom Line:
This is a really good HRM for someone who wants a good, reliable, quality one but doesn't want the really high-tech, complicated ones. I use it for running, too.

Purchased At:   Dick's--price match

Submitted by John Philion a Weekend Warrior from Saanichton, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, good display, clock feature, alarms, water proof

Weaknesses:    Difficult to get a reasonably priced replacement battery. Have to mail the watch 4,000 miles for battery replacement. Cost is very high about $45. The firm that replaces the battery says that you also have to buy another transmitter for the unit to work properly.

Battery doesn't last more than 12 months if you use it on a regular basis.

Bottom Line:
Worth buying if you can put up with the aggravation and expense of getting a replacement battery and transmitter every year.

Purchased At:   "The Running Room"

Bike Setup:   I use the Polar pacer because I have a severe heart disease and have to monitor my heart rate to ensure it doesn't go above certain limits.

Submitted by Paul Waxon a Cross Country Rider from Coon Rapids, MN USA

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2001

Strengths:    Simple, easy to read.

Weaknesses:    Default to beep.

Bottom Line:
It will do exactly what you paid for it to do. No Hassle.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Road, ATB, Cross.

Submitted by K WG a Cross Country Rider from Sacramento

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2001

Strengths:    Big display, can alternate with time;
Easy to set high/low settings (only 1 zone;
Beeps when you're out of the zone. Tells you total time in the zone. Strap is easily adjusted and I don't notice it when I ride.

Weaknesses:    Buttons are hard to press But I have the older style with recessed buttons not like the one pictured. I ride at night and the light only stays illuminated for 10 seconds and the buttons are hard to press through gloves in the dark.

Bottom Line:
Works wells. Has just enough features. Now that I'm training more seriously, it would be nice to have more zones to set. I only use it when I ride on my road bike. I haven't tried it mountain biking since the terrain is so varied it's too hard to keep a consistant rate.

Ride on.

Purchased At:   ebay (NEW & DELIVERED)

Bike Setup:   I have the handlebar mount which works well.

Submitted by Leonard Migliore a Weekend Warrior from Mountain View, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2000

Strengths:    Shows heart rate in big numbers. You can make it stop beeping. Shows total time at desired heart rate. Has no extraneous information.

Weaknesses:    Defaults to beeping when it starts up. Goes berserk under power lines.

Bottom Line:
A heart monitor is the most important tool in my conditioning program. The Pacer provides the information I need and nothing else (unless I want to know what time it is). The unit is comfortable and reliable. The folks at Mike's were right when they said "this one is all you need".

Favorite Trail:   Palo Alto Baylands

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes, Palo Alto CA

Bike Setup:   Trek hybrid

Submitted by Radar a Racer from Barberton OH

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Strengths:    Nice way to train a little smarter, comfortable, quality Polar name.

Weaknesses:    Not many features for the $$$, occasionally it shows a totally inaccurate reading.

Bottom Line:
I got this amazingly cheap at the Nashbar tent sale, and I wasn't even thinking about buying one until I saw it. Occasionally it shoes my HR is something like 230 when I'm just cruising downhill. Weird, but it's not often. My only other complaint is that most people are going to be paying $100+ for this, and only having time, current HR and time spent in target zone is a slim function list for a mid range monitor. I have seen "lesser" brand monitors that are half the price with more functions, like average heart rate and other features like a lap counter. I have heard that those show erratic readings much more often though, so it's a trade off. Do you want accuracy or features?

I'll give this a value rating of 3 because of the slim features, but overall of 4 because of the good quality.

Favorite Trail:   Vulture's Knob

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   No other HR monitors, but various Cateye computers.

Bike Setup:   Fisher hardtail

Submitted by Slingshot Bohiminee a Racer from Dallas, Tejas

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2000

Strengths:    Accurate, relativly inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    You have to yank the chest strap very tight.. but that's the case with all HR-Monitors

Bottom Line:
It has a high/low alarm so you can pick differnet HR zones to train in. I have a hard time "going for a slow ride" so the alarm keeps me in line for recovery training days. I won't wear it during a race anymore, too many different things to worry about withough looking at your heartrate all the time.

Favorite Trail:   All of em'

Similar Products Used:   CatEye HR monitor and the Performance Axiom

Bike Setup:   FRS M4 for Dirt, Trek 2300 for Concrete

Submitted by John a Racer from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2000

Strengths:    Time spent in target zone.

Weaknesses:    Needs EKG cream for best results (like msot ther heart monitors)

Bottom Line:
I developed my own training program (by reading books on the subject) to improve my performance and this monitor was the key to achieve my goals (the time spent in the training zone is a good measure of the intensity of any given training). I wish I would have chosen a model that gives the average, as it is useful for other purposes. But this model works very well.

Bike Setup:   Lemond Zurich (road) & Fisher Big Sur (MTB)

Submitted by DEX a racer from AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

Just started using a HRM again now I'm getting closer to 40! The pacer is easy to use provides the best features for the price. Workout time and zone is all that's needed. Reliable and robust. Five stars on price and features.

Submitted by Ron Austin a weekend warrior from Rutland, VT 05701 USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my PACER as part of a cardiac rehab program after suffering cardiac arrest at the age of 44. The blockages were cleared and it was time to get back in shape. I found the unit invaluable for maintaining my target heartrate while doing the rehab workouts. The unit agrees with the hospital equipment perfectly and gives me a level of confidence while working out at home that I would not otherwise have. I even wear it for lawnmowing and other activities.

Submitted by Rusty a cross-country rider from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Tried a few other brands, and the pacer doesn't jump around like they did.
A bit on the expensive side($250). The chest strap is a thow away item (@$120) after 2 years of use. Except for the chest stap it is excellent. Found it was an excelent training aid, as I dont have to run a set course.

Submitted by Don a cross-country rider from central New Jersey

Date Reviewed: October 17, 1996

Bottom Line:

Recently tried a Polar Pacer HRM. This is (I think) the second most economical model. I gives me all I really need to know; current bpm. I've been using it on a stationary bike (in a lab setting), so I don't know how the wireless transmitter performs under outdoors conditions. However, in the lab it worked like a gem. I had the opportunity to compare it to the good ol' method (count heart beats by pulse) and an EKG reading. The Polar unit was right on the ball. An excellent training device.

Help trying to find a green pacer frameset size 54cm

i know this is sort of a wanted ad but i'm chasing last years (or 2011??) green frameset in size 54. i've done the online look and asked a few sellers but not had any luck. if you have one, new or used or know of any stores that have one, can you let me know? cheers SteveRead More »

Pacer Brake Help

Has anyone used short reach brakes, especially Campy, on their Pacer? From what I can see they might not have a long enough reach.Read More »

Pacer or Crosscheck

I need to decide really soon and it will be my only bike. ThanksRead More »

New Pacer blue

Have you seen the blue Pacer and if so what did you think of the color?Read More »

Will LHT Components move to a Pacer?

Will the components from an LHT move over to a Pacer? What would have to be changed? I know they will move to a Crosscheck and that might be a better choice. I would like a lighter frame.Read More »