Polar Edge Heart Rate Monitor

3.59/5 (17 Reviews)

Polar Edge

Submitted by George P.

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2013

Strengths:    It's easy to use, large read out face... simple is simple... Now for those of you who had the battery c/o for $40, you can do this yourself for $4... battery #2025.... just be careful of the rubber seal... I had it for over 10yrs... paid $25 for it on close out sale

Weaknesses:    no average HR...

Bottom Line:
Good monitor for the price I paid...

Submitted by TienShan a Cross Country Rider from San Jose,CA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Strengths:    Good price at the time.
Function well.

Weaknesses:    easy to scratch,
flimsy look and built (looks like a $5 watch)
expensive to replace anything

Bottom Line:
This heart rate monitor works fine. It's good price at the time of purchase. After one crash I scratched the surface and it becomes unreadable. I contacted Polar to find out how much it will cost to replace the cover. It will be $25.
I noticed someone mentioned it causes $40 to replace battery (I used to have the impression of $14.) Since then I have been shopping for a replacement instead of having it repaired since it's so expensive.

When I found out Supergo has Sports Instrument ECG-5 on sale for $40. I decided to buy ECG-5 since it is the cost of replacing Polar's batteries.
By the way, ECG-5 is much better designed and built with stainless steel. It looks very nice and functions really well. The surface is scratch-resistant,big-display, nice night light, also you can replace the battery yourself.
The watch is water-proof too.

I really think Polar Edge even for $70 is way over priced.
It should cost around $40. I am glad there are a lot of competitive products out there.

I want to give 3 chilis.
But compared with $40 ECG-5 I can only give it 2 chills.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Sports Instrument - ECG-5

Bike Setup:   Dean Ti everything, XT groupo, Manitou Mars Elite

Submitted by SAM Bills a Racer from Stoke-on -Trent England

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2001

Strengths:    Simplicity,Functions are just what are needed-no more

Weaknesses:    sealed transmitter not allowing battery to be changed,rendering it disposable after a couple of years. No average HR

Bottom Line:
A good monitor,very reliable.the 10 minute blocks which appear on the left of the display are mega useful in that they let you know at a glance how long you've been in your preset zone.
Polar say that you should send it back for watch battery replacement,beleive me it can easily be done at a fraction of the cost yourself, buying a battery from a jewellers.
As for the transmitter strap,that has to be thrown away once it is dead as the battery cannot be replaced.But do not despair,as for the same cost as a replacement polar strap you can get a cardiosport one which works on the same frequency as polar,and has a replacable battery.

Favorite Trail:   cat & fiddle

Purchased At:   Mail order

Bike Setup:   Gary fisher. Pace RC30 forks.Shim XTR

Submitted by Gene a Cross Country Rider from Lake Ariel,Pa

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2000

Strengths:    Simple to use. Usually fairly accurate.

Weaknesses:    $40.00 to replace a battery!

Bottom Line:
Bottom line... sooner or later (probably within 2 years) you WILL have to replace the batteries. With a Polar unit it will cost you $40.00 for a $3.00 battery. I replaced mine twice and it is dead again. I was stupid enough to give them my money before, but now it is time to try another HRM company that designs consumer friendly products.

Bike Setup:   GT Zaskar, Trek 5200

Submitted by brett zwick a Cross Country Rider from mt holly, NJ

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2000

Strengths:    large, easy to read heart rate display. adjustable range. works with Crosstrainer in the gym. audible warning when outside of target HR.

Weaknesses:    headphone cord interferes with reception between transmitter and receiver.

Bottom Line:
One of the best training investments that I have made to date. got mine at Performance for $79.

Favorite Trail:   clayton

Bike Setup:   Cdale SV 700SX and R300

Submitted by George a Racer from Nelson, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: October 25, 1999

Strengths:
simplicity

Weaknesses:
no average HR measurement

Bottom Line:
Very simple and effective. It does its job. I have had it for over 2 years and it hasn't skipped a beat. I wear it everyday as a watch and use it to train. The bike mount works fine for road racing, but wouldn't try it off road. A solution is the old piece of foam around the handlebar, and put the entire watch on it. The contacts definitely have to be wet for it to work, but that is a simple thing to fix. Minus one chili for the lack of an Average Heart Rate function, but other than that it works fine.

cadiosport

Cannondale F1000 and R2000

Submitted by BOB a Cross-Country Rider from HIGHLANDS RANCH CO

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1999

Strengths:
Takes a liken and keeps on ticken.

Weaknesses:
The model I have does not have a light.
Must be sent in to replace battery in heart strap.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this heart rate monitor in january of 1994 and its still ticking. I have never had any problems, nor have I replaced the batteries in the watch or the heart strap.I plan on replacing just the strap when the time comes to send it in(when the battery dies). My only gripe was that this model did not originally come with a light, I believe that it now comes with the light.

PORCUPINE RIM

more than 3 years

None.

Intense SL

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Vernon, CT

Date Reviewed: July 12, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to use, night feature

Weaknesses:
Occasionally doesn't work, especially when running

Bottom Line:
In today's world of toys, the last thing I need is a heart rate monitor with too many features & buttons. The functionality is great, and I haven't had a probelm while bike riding. However, it doesn't work sometmes when running...I'm not sure if it is because of excessive jostling or not?

Case Mountain

Submitted by Ann a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1999

Strengths:
Does what it's supposed to do.

Weaknesses:
Not as fancy as some others.

Bottom Line:
This is a basic unit that does what it's supposed to. Nothing fancy, but it keeps track of my hr, and makes noise outside of the target zone. The bike mount looks really flimsy, I don't think I'll try it.Five stars for the hrm, minus one for the bike mount.

less than 1 month

Submitted by Toshi Clark a Cross-Country Rider from Tacoma, WA

Date Reviewed: May 26, 1999

Strengths:
Accurate
Easy to use - two buttons and nothing too fancy or complicated

Weaknesses:
See below - unfortunate accident

Bottom Line:
I liked my Polar Edge. I really did. However, its handlebar mount, not recommended for off-road use, really shouldn't be recommended for _any_ use. I was riding on the road, on the way to a trail in Durango, CO, and the head unit popped out, onto the road. Just then a car came by, managing, by sheer luck (destiny?) to run over the bouncing head unit. After the ride I searched the road and found the mangled thing - the display was cracked and unreadable, and pressing any button just made the thing bleat. Since the accident was not its fault, and the unit worked fine before it, I give it four stars.

Submitted by Jeff a racer from Rocky Hill, CT

Date Reviewed: March 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

The edge heart rate monitor is the biggst piece of junk I ever bought.I am sending it back for the third time tommorow for repair. It has never worked for over a month in a row since I bought it. Buy a watch and check your pulse....it's much cheaper.

Submitted by Bill a cross-country rider from SF CA USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had my monitor for just over a year now. When it was almost a year old, the battery went dead and I had to send the unit to Polar to replace it. It took about a week and a half to get it back which was inconvenient, but I think they do that for quality purposes. I had a Cardiosport before and it was really a piece of junk. I had to send it in 3 times within 8 months. They allowed you to replace the battery, but the seal was also bad and the battery rusted once. They could have allows a longer heart rate zone, but in all it works very weel. Don't forget to follow the maintenance instructions in the book and it will last a long time. Also, make sure to wet the chest transmitter before use.

Submitted by Len a cross-country rider from Sonoma county, California

Date Reviewed: October 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

I've been training with a Polar Edge for the past 4 months. Using it for both running and mountain bike riding, I have found it a very helpful aid. It's been accurate and reliable. Several points:
1) I rarely have to wet the chest sensors for them to work, but when I do I just give them an easy 'quick lick' and all's fine.2) Poor: After 1 hour of recording time it resets the 'time in zone' and stopwatch and starts over again at zero. I've been frustrated by the distraction of computing the total times in my head when it would seam so basic and simple for Polar to include the hour/minute/seconds in the readout.3) I bought it with the plastic handlebar bike mount thinking I would be all set. In reading the directions that came with the mount, however, there's a disclaimer that the mount is not recommended for mountain bike riding. This is very good advise to follow as I spent and hour on the trail looking for the receiver after it flew off (found it). I now wear it on my wrist while riding but find it somewhat uncomfortable.4) Poor: you don't get a manual that tells you how to really train with the monitor, just how to use it. I went to the bookstore and bought a HR monitor training book by Sally Edwards that was very good.

Submitted by Chris White a racer from Newburyport MA

Date Reviewed: January 2, 1997

Bottom Line:

I just purchased the Polar Edge NV monitor and find it very helpful for training
purposes. You definately have to have the sensors wet for this to work. The book is fine for setting the HRM up but I would advise getting a training book for your target heart rate training. One thing the book leaves out is periodization. Training in cycles. I originally set my Min and Max HR too high for pre-season riding. One problem I found is that if you are too close to the TV while riding rollers the monitor won't work for beats per minute. All things considered the product performs as one would expect.

Submitted by Cathy a cross-country rider from Colorado, USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1996

Bottom Line:

I have a dead Polar Edge HRM. It worked OK at first though, even with the
chest sensor dampened the transmission was if-y especially in cold weather.(It never worked when I was x-skiing.) But even with these inconveniences the reason I am not considering replacing my Edge with another Polar model is the outrageous price (and hassle) to replace the unit battery or chest transmitter. I wish I had that info before I gave Polar $160. My new HRM will be a Cateye.

Garmin Edge 800

I just picked one up for $279.99 with free shipping to the U.S. [url=http://www.clevertraining.com/p-808-garmin-edge-800-gps-cycling-computer.aspx]Garmin Edge 800 GPS Cycling Computer[/url]Read More »

Edge bike mounts

I seem to go through about 3-4 bike mounts a year for my Edge 605 and while it is still under £10 to replace the mount I was wondering if anyone had come with an alternative way of mounting this unit to a bike.. that little release clip is the bit that keeps breaking off... any suggestions appreciat ... Read More »

A way to delete a lap on Edge 510?

Like the title says....Raced today and didn't stop my Garmin till almost 15 minutes after I crossed the finish line. It was set to auto lap so I'd like to delete the extra lap in order to get a more true file. Any ideas? Edit: Never mind I figured it out. Export TCX file. Modify by deleting lap t ... Read More »

On the Garmin Edge 500/510 Fence

Pretty simple question. With the $50 rebate on the Edge 500, the net price difference would be $80 in favor of the 500 vs the 510 bundles. I'm all for saving cash, but still curious from users if the 510 is worth the extra dough in the long run. The 500 fits the bill for what I need, though the 510' ... Read More »

Lost Garmin Edge

I lost my blue Garmin Edge 500 on July 1st, I guess in the Doudy Draw parking lot. The saddest part is that the day before I rode Kenosha to Breck and hadn't uploaded the ride stats yet! If anyone happened to find it I would be eternally grateful to get it back. I lost a pair of Novara full finger g ... Read More »