Polar Beat Heart Rate Monitor

3.78/5 (9 Reviews)

Polar Beat

Submitted by Walt Rogers a Weekend Warrior from Renton, WA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2009

Strengths:    I figured out how to change the batteries myself.

Bottom Line:
Both (Tx and Rx) batteries CAN be replaced by the user.

For the receiver, just remove back cover via four screws and replace battery (standard 3V lithium button cell).

For the transmitter, you need to cut open the compartment in the center where the circuit board is. After tapping around to find hollow spots, I guessed at where to cut. I ended up carefully cutting around the perimeter of the "full rectangle" (where there is an obvious boundary) of both the front and back. The battery (3V lithium) is soldered to the PCB, and requires both the front and back "covers" to be removed.

Suspecting that the strap body electrodes required a conductive wetting solution, I added a TINY pinch of table salt to about an ounce of water for the purpose.

Everything works great indoors...except the receiver stops when I rest my wrist on the laptop while typing this!

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Purchased At:   Thrift store

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2004

Strengths:    great value, easy to read,and accurate

Weaknesses:    battery replacement has to be performed at factory

Bottom Line:
Going into the heart rate monitor game, i knew i didn't want alot of bells and whistles. I know what my max HR is, what my desired work-load HR is, all i needed was a VISABLE read-out. This model fit the bill exactly! I'm 51 and although i've struggled to stay in good health, my vision has pretty much taken a course change due south however even if i don't wear my glasses when i work out, i have little difficulty reading my monitor (okay, i squint.........but only a little).
My first battery lasted just under 2 years before i had to send the unit back to the factory for replacement. Although at the time i was a little anxious about how long i'd be without my Polar, in retrospect it only took maybe 10 days to get it back once i sent it to the factory.
I've been very satisfied with the performance of this product and would strongly recomend this model for anyone needing a continous read out HR monitor.

Purchased At:   Galyans

Bike Setup:   stock Trek 6000

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Augusta, Ga USA

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2001

Strengths:    Does exactly what it is suppose to. Takes and displays your heart rate. Acurate, I tested it agains taking my pulse and comparing.

Weaknesses:    Does not always start up right away.

Bottom Line:
If you want to know your heart rate this is the product to get. I wear it all day when I use it just to keep up with how my heart rate changes.
I have had times when it took a few trys to get it going. Why I do not know. I would get the elctrodes wet and it would just sit there.
After 5 to 10 mins it would kick in and work fine all day. It is great to see how hard your pumper is pumping.
The large numbers are easy to read even while you are riding trails that take your attention.

Favorite Trail:   Canal, WIne Creek, Turkey Creek

Bike Setup:   Rainer SE, upgraded rims and tires

Submitted by Tod Monet a Cross Country Rider from Houston, TX, Harris

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2001

Strengths:    Accurate, reliable.

Weaknesses:    Must send to factory to change battery.

Bottom Line:
If all you need is a HRM that reads and displays your pulse (no fancy frills and gimmicks), do not shop around. Buy this unit. I bought my first one three years ago for $80. I've used it while jogging and biking, in hot Texas heat, and it never failed me once. My only dissapointment: the battery finally quit. The manufacturer wants you to send it to them to replace the battery. They say they have the equipment needed to change the battery properly. The battery is a very common watch battery found in any department store for a few bucks, and I've changed a few watch batteries in my time, so I took my chances on changing it myself. However, after changing the battery in this HRM, it occaisionally blanks out. I finally bought a new one for $50. Despite this one set back, I'd still recommend it. I got my money's worth.

Purchased At:   Oshmans

Submitted by Eric from Davis, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    Relatively Inexpensive
Easy to Use
BPM readout is LARGE

Weaknesses:    Display blacks out in heat
Can't change out battery in sending unit

Bottom Line:
I ride in the central valley and coastal range of Northern California - it's 100+ degrees in the heat of the day in the summer. The screen on the monitor goes black at temperatures over 90 degrees, which makes it useless. I switched to Sports Instruments and have had no problems to date.

Similar Products Used:   Sports Instruments Circuit 5

Bike Setup:   Old (1973) Ron Cooper Road Bike w/ Kestrel EMS Fork, full Campy NR, Speedplay Pedals, Cinelli Bars & Stem, Serfas ARC dual density saddle.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to read, simple to operate.

Weaknesses:    Sensitive to strong electro-magnetic fields, but most units are.

Bottom Line:
Extremely not bad. It's been reliable, minus blanking out in certain places due to electric currents nearby. Some reviewers have had problems with the electrodes, but if you get some electrode gel (like they use in hospitals) or even KY-jelly and put a dab on each of the electrodes, it works like a charm.

Favorite Trail:   Paved. Oh, those are roads...

Submitted by John Collins a Racer from E.Rockaway,NY

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2000

Strengths:    Easy to read display, Comfortable chest strap

Weaknesses:    Need to sweat to get it started

Bottom Line:
Overall not a bad entry level HRM. I use it on the trainer during indoor interval training workouts. It lets you see what your exertion level is like relative to you breathing. You can wear it on the road if you wish but after you have an idea of your HR during certain exertion levels, you have a pretty good idea where you're at without the distraction of yet another gizmo.

Submitted by Sam Smith a racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought my Polar Beat last winter and I loved it. It only displayed the heart rate but that was all I needed. Afew weeks ago the battery ran out. The only way to replace the battery is to send it back to Polar. When it came back it still didn't work. That was 20 bucks down the drain.

Submitted by Charlie a cross-country rider from Bridgeville, PA

Date Reviewed: February 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had the Polar Beat ($79 most places) for about 6 months.1. I wrapped a short piece of foam pipe insulation on the handlebars,
then fastened the wristband of the Polar Beat around it. Works as both a mount
and a shock absorber.2. The pulse would occasionaly jump to 223 beats per minute. It took me a while
to figure out why. It happens when I pedal past a yard that has an electronic
(invisible) dog fence.3. The update rate is very good.4. It works better when you sweat. It lowers the skin resistance and makes the
sensors more sensitive to your cardiac rhythms.5. On a mountain bike it is more a monitor/high-tech gimmick than a training
device. On the uphills you pedal as hard as you must to make the hill, so your
rate usually soars past your training zone. Threading through trees you cannot
crank up the speed to achieve your target, so the rate falls. On a road bike it is
very easy to modulate your effort to keep you in your training zone. However, I
still use it on the mountain bike to see what's going on in there.

Woohooo beat my PR by 3:44!!

So the other day on my local trail I shattered my PR by 3 minutes and 44 seconds by "chasing" a much more experienced rider. That's about a 10% decrease in time and my average speed went up by 1 mph. I was ecstatic! My local trail is about 4-4.5 miles and when I am really trying it usually takes me ... Read More »

DMR Vaults Service speed challenge can you beat me?

Can you or any of your friends do better? DMR Vaults Service challenge.3min 14sec to beat [url=http://youtu.be/59zw8HPZmxQ]DMR Vault Pedal Service Challenge! Can you do it faster?! - YouTube[/url]Read More »

Beat the Heat Hump Day Full Moon Redwood Ride (5-14)

Screw this heat wave! Plan: Meet at the Rincon lot on Hwy 9 around 4:45, knees to the breeze by 5:00. Climb, descend, whoop. Repeat until sunset/moonrise.Read More »

Sunday Big Beat

[B]Hey Ladies![/B] Some of us GGR girlz will be in Big Bear for the day this Sunday. Mostly XC riding. Email me if you want to join us! [email]wendy@girlzgoneriding.com[/email]Read More »

March 25 ride: Beat the wind.

Great ride today! Took a few pics while enjoying beautiful weather and managed to beat the high winds that were forecast for the evening. There is no such thing as a bad ride, right? [ATTACH=CONFIG]879921[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]879922[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]879923[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]87992 ... Read More »