Polar Accurex Heart Rate Monitor

2.92/5 (25 Reviews)

Polar Accurex

Submitted by Jason Nieman a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, IN

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2002

Strengths:    Very accurate. Good features without being overly confusing.

Weaknesses:    Somewhat short battery life, but not really too bad.

Bottom Line:
I bought this thing used about 7 years ago. It has served me faithfully ever since. I have changed out batteries in the watch two or three times and in the chest monitor about four. The chest battery is really not that hard to change out, you just have to be careful and not lose any small parts. Also, Radio Shack will test your battery and say it is ok. DON'T BELIEVE THEM. These batteries don't have to wear down much before the transmitter won't reach the watch. The nice thing is it works, or it doesn't; not in between. If you don't have a HRM, you are likely working out too hard, or not hard enough. It will make you a better rider, and I can't think of a better brand than Polar, given my experience. Mine was a 5 for value, but as they are pricy, I'll give it a 4 value for most. Overall, though, this baby is a 5ver.

Favorite Trail:   Warsaw

Purchased At:   Play It Again Sports

Similar Products Used:   Cardiosport

Bike Setup:   Cervelo Prodigy with Ultegra, and Litespeed OBED with XTR

Submitted by Burgess Norrgard a Weekend Warrior from Minnesota

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2001

Strengths:    Downloading this watch onto my computer using the interface that is sold separately is a definite plus. Being able to see you workouts on a graph is very helpful. Also it keeps very good track of laps, and will also show these on the computer graph.

Weaknesses:    It can be inaccurate at times, giving you a heart rate you don't really have. You can't be in close contact with anyone else who has one either, it gets all messed up. Battery life is bit sporatic, I've had it last weeks but also years. It also seems to get damaged a little too easy.
It would also be nice if it had more memory, and a shorter interval of giving you your heart rate

Bottom Line:
Overall good product, because of of it's ability to download. The newer high-end ones though are even better

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock

Submitted by Rob a Racer from Marlboro, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2001

Strengths:    Great features, good customer servie

Weaknesses:    Short battery life--constantly needs to be repaired by the factory. Hard to read display @ certain angles, a bit pricey

Bottom Line:
I put up with the constant need for batteries because of the excellent features of the monitor

Bike Setup:   Seven Odonata

Submitted by zelig a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2000

Strengths:    Accurate HRM whose functions work as advertised. I've had my Accurex since 1990 and have used it daily in all conditions. As long as the batteries have power, the HRM functions. I like being able to set an upper and lower heart rate limit as well as the recovery time. My unit does not erase the information unless the timing cycle mode is started for a new series.

Weaknesses:    The lack of consumer replaceable batteries in the current transmitter and monitor (can be done but not recommended by the manufacturer). The original chest transmitter allowed for consumer replacement of the batteries but when that failed and was replaced you had to have it done by the factory.

Battery life is very uneven and this applies to both the monitor and the transmitter. The shortest period has been 9 months and the longest was over 2 years.

As you would expect, the monitor can be affected by EMF from buried power lines. However, I've never had a problem with overhead high tension wires.

Bottom Line:
I have the monitor positioned on the stem using a velcro device called the Shuper mount which I bought mail order from a place in California which had a small ad in the back of Velonews in the early '90's. It has velcro straps which take the place of the wrist strap and then wraps around the stem with another piece of velcro lined with rubber (to prevent slippage) which wraps around the stem. Its neat and simple. No big donut or that bulky plastic bar mount.

As products go, its been great despite the units' appetite for batteries. I've also gotten very good service from the Port Washington, NY service center and now in the UK have had a similarly good experience with their service center in the UK.

Favorite Trail:   tailwind please

Similar Products Used:   None as it was the only commercially available HRM at the time.

Bike Setup:   Vortex & Look fork with mix of Campy and Shimano bits.

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Ny, NY

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2000

Strengths:    Many options

Weaknesses:    Difficult to operate, small heart rate display,

Bottom Line:
I bought the version that performance is selling and it is going right back. I just bought the new freestyle HRM and it is far superior. The Polar is too difficult to operate, and I find that the memory erases itself by the time I get back to the car and record it in the log book. Its about time that Polar got some good competition from another company. Check out the freestyle watch. Ill give it two chilies because it accurately detects my heart rate

Similar Products Used:   Polar Beat, Freestyle ECG5

Submitted by wolfer a Weekend Warrior from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: October 18, 1999

Strengths:
Reliabiltiy

Weaknesses:
COST

Bottom Line:
I have an Accurex Plus....it's work extremely well for me personally. The dog chewed up my transmitter which Polar replaced cheaper than I could have bought retail. Overall, I'm happy. The battery did quit after the first 1.5 years, simply opened it up (not what Polar wants) and replaced with Wal-Mart/EverReady replacement. No Sweat just be careful and take time.

Fischer Point

2 Years

Submitted by Larry a Cross-Country Rider from Dallas, TX

Date Reviewed: August 9, 1999

Strengths:
Features are nice if they work.

Weaknesses:
Unit will not download
also no display
poor customer service

Bottom Line:
Bought a Polar Accurex Plus for $249.00 which I use every day. After first week tried to download to computer with Polar Interface Plus (another $250.00) Monitor quits downloading when ever it reaches the first interval set. Took it back to dealer and was told that Polar does all warranty.
He did loan me another monitor and chest strap that I could use to make sure that the interfacer was working OK whick it did. Now the display is gone in less than 30 days and I have to pay another $15.00 each way to sent it to Polar for repairs. Bottom line I'm out $530.00 for a monitor that never worked add to that the fact that Polar customer service is totally rude and unhelpful.
A very poor product with useless customer service.

3 months

Polar Xtrainer

Submitted by Mike a Racer from Davenport, IA

Date Reviewed: July 15, 1999

Strengths:
Features are nice when they work.

Weaknesses:
Constant problems. Not picking up signal. False readings, blank display

Bottom Line:
Features are nice but quality stinks, poor customer service. I have sent this in twice. Like an earlier review I quit sending good money after bad and purchased something else.

The Maze, Canyonlands

more than 3 years

Currently using a Freestyle

Submitted by Leo a Cross-Country Rider from Gothenburg, Sweden

Date Reviewed: April 5, 1999

Strengths:
Has all functions, looks great. Does not pickup interference from other transmitters around.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I bought my Polar Accurex+ a year ago, after that I had done some research about all the alternatives on the market. I don't know what problems Polar might have had earlier with the Accurex models, but with the Accurex+ they have a perfectly functioning world class heartrate monitor. I wouldn't change it for nothing less. One more thing, I can agree that the Xtrainer and Protrainer don't have that good bikecomputer functions(slow updates and so on), therefore I got the Accurex+ and I use a Sigma BC800 bikecomputer instead to get accurate readings on trips. Btw, I even got the battery replaced for free with the warranty, after 11 months! Great and fast service, atleast here in Sweden.

1 Year

Submitted by Dave a cross-country rider from Northern California

Date Reviewed: February 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is just an update to my previous review. My previously barely functioning monitor finally gave up the ghost completely. The display is frozen. It blinks occasionally if I push the buttons but it doesn't run and I can't set it anymore. The battery is fine (it's only a couple months old). The thing just doesn't work. I've spent well over $200 on this thing (including batteries and getting it replaced) and I've finally decided to cut my losses and throw it away. A piece of junk.

Submitted by RedRover a racer from Marin County, CA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had the Polar Accurex II for about 4 years now, so it gets at least some kudos for reliability. Problem is that their customer service is totally rude and unhelpful. I've had this experience both times that I've sent the unit in for repair. They pretty much shaft you on the repair costs as well. Polar is in desperate need of some good competition.

Submitted by Dave Iriguchi a cross-country rider from Sacramento, CA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had an Accurex NV for several years now and like several of the other reviewers, I've had nothing but bad luck. I had one replaced because it just quit working and now I have one that has a weak display. Anytime the temperature runs over 80 degrees, which it does about 5 months a year here in Sacramento, the display disappears. I can still read it by turning the watch at a very oblique angle but when I run and ride (which of course is what I bought it for), its useless. For me its just a really expensive digital watch that I have to twist my arm to read. Oh... and the nightvision light quit working too. This thing is definitely NOT worth the money. I'd send it back to Polar again but I don't want to keep throwing good money after bad.

Submitted by Justin a cross-country rider from CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have tried a Polar ProTrainer NV, SportsInstruments, and finally the one that works for me, 1998 Polar Accurex Plus. The coded transmitter is plus and it actually works. When I went running around a lake, the other two aforementioned watches went ballistic, probably due to some intense waves. The Accurex Plus never went out of sync. I don't know if it's the coding or just a newer model. Also, the upgrade from the ProTrainer NV to the Accurex Plus is a huge difference. The Accurex can save all your lap times, HR averages, maxes, etc. under seperate files. The ProTrainer lost all info whenever you switched back to the clock. I'm finally satisfied with the type of HRM I was looking for.

Submitted by James Elder a cross-country rider from Sacramento Califprnia

Date Reviewed: July 9, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've owned a Polar Accurex NV for 1 1/2 years and it has spent more time in my dresser than on my wrist. I returned my first one which would not pick up my heart rate at all to Colorado Cyclist. They promptly sent me a new one which is so inconstant that it is unusable. I've followed all the instructions (tight strap, moisten, change positions ect...) and it alway reads 00 for the first 10 min. or so. Then it works for about 10 min only to stop or give you a reading of 239. This makes all those expensive options useless (average rate, recovery rate, target zones). It's very frustrating and now it's out of warranty, and Polar wants big $$$$ to fix it. Also, my roomate broke the crystal on his and it cost $80 and over a month to have Polar fix it. Several weeks later his wrist strap broke, now his sits on the coffee table. At least I can use mine as an not very stylish but expensive watch.

Submitted by John Fisher from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought one of these a few years ago, factory reconditioned from Performance, and it performed flawlessly untill a few months ago. Horrible experience with the repair and customer service. Had to send it back twice and finally talked to one of their technical people only to be given a list of things I now had to do differently to make my hr monitor work - don't sweat so much, don't wear fleece (static, you know). I don't know what they finally did, but it works fine again -- at least it works fine 99% of the time. Sometimes the power lines throw it off, sometimes they don't. Sometimes it just stops. Mostly it is back to it's dependable self. Five peppers for past performance. One pepper for silly customer service and inept repair department. Averages out to solid 3.