Polar A3 Heart Rate Monitor

3.29/5 (7 Reviews)

• Large easy-to-read display
  • Personal target heart rate zones
  • Manual and automatic heart rate limit settings
  • Heart rate Zone Pointer with alarm function
  • Fitness bullets
  • Shows your heart rate, exercising time and average heart rate

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Allison a Racer from Newfoundland

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    some memory capacity
    allows you to train in a specific zone

Weaknesses:    the receiver blanks out from time to time and i'm not sure why

Bottom Line:
    I never go out for a ride, run, or xc ski without my hrm. I worship it,even if it freaks out sometimes. It definately helps me get the most out of my training. I choose the a3 over the a5 because the difference in price wasn't large. I'd recommend it for anybody who wants to get faster.

Purchased At:   Running Room

Bike Setup:   Giant 860

Submitted by jerome saucier a Racer from Montreal

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2002

Strengths:    Simple, easy to use, Big number, simple basic training information but enough for my neads

Weaknesses:    The !"/$%? vendor told me that my cordless Cateye computer would not interfer with the signal of the A3 - Of course it did so i have to go back and they don't let me have my money back know, I have to buy there another more expensive heart rate monitor. (I'll go for the Protrainer XT because it is the cheapest with the "no interferences" feature.

Bottom Line:
    Go for it if you don't already have a cyclocomputer that will make it go nuts.

Purchased At:   Courir

Submitted by ilakano a Cross Country Rider from Walnut Creek, CA

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Got a deal on this at REI. I like to use on hard rides to gauge my fitness and for the trainer or spinning class to make sure I'm getting a workout. It's simple and if it breaks, I won't go into convulsions that the techno geeks do when their 200 dollar monitor doesn't work.

Bottom Line:
    A simple tool for cyclists/mountain bikers more interested in riding than evaluating data.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Frankinator a Weekend Warrior from Sand Dog CA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2002

Strengths:    Very intuitive set up. Simple operation. Multi display gives constant HR info (by linear gauge) and other info (TOD, exercise time, %).

Weaknesses:    Setting the time requires you to go through a bunch of steps (easy to follow but long on procedure). But you only have to do it once.

Bottom Line:
    I DON'T use this for riding. This is my running HR. It works great. Gives me the info I need. I sometimes miss the lack of a chronograph function. Other than that, it's perfect for my needs.

3 Chilis because it's pretty pricey (like most POLAR products)

Purchased At:   Hong Kong Navy Fleet Landing

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant but it's a $4000 steel hardtail if you must know.

Submitted by William a Weekend Warrior from Leeds .UK

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    Price,seems well made ease of use once set up

Weaknesses:    none to speak of

Bottom Line:
    Good value , all i really needed, to keep me riding within my limits.Its been used for about a year now and not a problem with it.

Favorite Trail:   will.wombat@ntlworld.com

Bike Setup:   Iron horse G Spot

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Newcastle Ca.

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Strengths:    East to set up. Easy to use. Basic monitor.Nothing you don't need.low price.

Weaknesses:    Basic monitor. No max heart rate data.

Bottom Line:
    This is a basic heart monitor with minimal data recording info. it is good if you are tyring to stay in a set zone, but it does not have some features that an anal techno-wanker type might desire. if you dont want to spend a lot of time setting it up this is for you. if you want to spend more time pushing buttons and staring at the display than you do riding, this is not for you. It does not down load colorful flow charts with useless info to your PC, but it can help you train in target zones that you can set.

Favorite Trail:   dirty

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Emporium

Bike Setup:   road and mountain

Submitted by Mitchell s a Cross Country Rider from Gold Coast

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2002

Strengths:    Didn't work right out of the box.

Bottom Line:
    Getting a full refund as this is my second HRM (other a cardiosport) and the display just freaked out with all characters on. Went normal until you just about finished setting the time, then blam... back to freaking out. What a piece of sh@!.

Favorite Trail:   Nerang State Forest

Purchased At:   Rebel Sport

Anyone install a Thule T2 on a Audi A3 or A4?

i'm really hoping that the T2 hitch would work on my A3. But the rear bumper seems to be wrapping around the chassis, without any access to bolt the hitch to the chassis..i may be wrong....anyone have an A3/4 that uses the T2?Read More »

Any audi A3 owners out there?

I like the A3's and its time for a new car... Can anyone tell me if they can fit a bike or two inside the A3? What kind of bike carrying system are you using? Also, what do you like and dislike about this cool little wagon? Thanks.Read More »